Insecurity

Rainy Day

           While everyone was still at school, Yejin had no other reason to continue to stay . Inside, she felt like she had no purpose to pursue  her studies or anything in general. All she thought of herself is someone who merely exists until she dies. She walked home with her ears filled with sad ballads that reminds herself of her life so far. As soon as she reached her house, she regreted coming back, but then again, other than school she had no where else to go. She stood at the door step and stared at the door knob. She had a feeling her horrible step sister would be the first to greet her even though she really hoped no one would be home. With one deep breath, she unlocked the front door and takes her dripping body inside. And like she had thought, her sister Yooshin was home. The older girl scoffed at the sight of her.

 

Skipping school again?” The girl stared her down while eating some chocolate biscuits. Yejin just bowed slightly before walking away. “You're getting the house wet!” Yooshin threw the box of sweets at her back. And like a perfect shot, one of the sharp corners dug into Yejin's lower back. Yejin bit her lip to hold in the yelp from escaping her lips. She bent over and picked up the box. She bowed once more and handed the box to her sister. “Are you mute or something?!” Yooshin growled and stood abruptly. Yejin faked a smile as obviously as she could and walked away. She always wondered how someone as beautiful as her step sister could have such a wicked personality. Her sister was petite, had a face fit for a magazine and a voluminous body. She had no idea why that girl couldn't be somewhat nicer.


After seeing the smile, Yooshin accepted that smile as if it was mocking her. Frustration started to build in her and with angry footsteps she goes charging after Yejin, though before she could do anything, the sight of her dad made her stop. You're lucky. She thought and glared at the girl. Yejin stopped before her step dad whom she never once called dad. She always referred him to as 'that man' or Mr. Lee. He was a handsome, strong medium built man with jet black hair and light hazel eyes. His traits were uncommon to see and it made her wonder why Yooshin didn't inherit these traits.

 

What are you two doing?” He looked at Yooshin who forgot to wipe the anger off her face, “Yejin, what happened?” He turned to Yejin and held her shoulders, “Go get changed or you'll get sick.” He said and like before, she gave him a slight bow. She slowly walked up the stairs, but stopped halfway when she sees her mom standing there with a stern face. Her mom was on par with Yooshin's beauty and physical traits which sometimes Yejin feels jealous of. Yejin looked nothing like her mom to where sometimes people don't link them as mother and daughter. She gave her mom another bow before skipping a few steps up to get away from the woman faster. She rarely spoke with her mom either. Well, more like she hasn't said the word 'mom' for nearly two years now.

 

Make sure to clean your mess up.” Her mom ordered with her arms crossed. Yejin turned her head slightly and merely nods. She watched as the woman coldly walked down the stairs and also watching her sister complain. Mr. Lee went to wipe up the mess while Yooshin continued to whine. Only Mr. Lee cared about Yejin in this family. He's the only one that shows he does, but she couldn't accept it. She gave them one last look and went straight to her room.

 

           Comparing her room to Yooshin's, Yooshin's room was far more bigger with far more things inside. For her, only a futon served as her bed and the floor as her desk or for anything else. Luckily, she was able to have a small drawer with two pullout drawers for storage. On top of her wooden drawer, she had a picture of her family, some notebooks and her everyday necessities to keep her going. She shuts the door behind her and curled up in the corner near it. She pulled her legs close to her chest and covered her ears with her cold hands.

 

           Every single time when rain would come, the thoughts of her dad starts flowing back to her and everything becomes vivid in her mind. Nothing makes the dark thoughts go away.

 

Honey, stay awake.” Her dad breathed in deeply with blood splattered over his face. She weakly glanced over at him with her droopy eyes.

 

Daddy, you too.” She croaked and the man nodded just barely. Rain started to drip slowly from the sky and it eventually poured.

 

My precious Yejin.” He chuckled a bit even though he's in pain, but he's willing to hide it for her. He couldn't bare to let her know. “Promise me.. you'll become a good person... a responsible woman.. a loving and kind person.. promise me to .. protect your mother.. and to love her.. Don't ever cry.. over the smallest things.. cherish life with all your heart..”

 

Daddy, what are you talking about?” Tears started to roll down her face, “Don't say things like that.”

 

Remember, I'll always love you.. and I'll always watch over you.. and protect you.. I love.. you so much. Don't cry Yejin... think of the rain as .. daddy watching.. over you.. Smile for me, okay?” He sobs, but tries his best to keep it quiet.

 

DAD! DADDY! DAD OPEN YOUR EYES!”

 

           Yejin's eyes snapped open and her breathing deepened. She ran her fingers through her damp hair and looked up at the picture of her biological dad. Ever since that night, ten years ago, she had been traumatized to the point where she's depressed and not willing to interact with anyone. She's aware of what she had become since that night, but it's as if darkness has engulfed her, surrounding her to where she's unable to break free. Once before, she had tried to cope with the pain by going through therapy, but nothing worked for her because not one person understood how she felt. Either they gave her notes to take a certain anti depressants or they would brush it off as nothing serious such as a growing phase.  The worst was when they tried to force her to feel differently about the accident. As if they accident never existed, but she couldn't become the way they wanted to mold her into being.

 

All she is now is an empty shell consisting of a soul that is barely living.

 

All she is waiting for is her time to join her dad.

 

           While with Taehyung, he had just arrived home after spending the rest of the afternoon with Sanghee and Namjoon. He called for his dad at the doorway as he walked in, but no one answered. With no one at home, the loneliness was slowly creeping up on him because so far this entire week, his dad hasn't been home once. All his dad left on the table they day he left was a note explaining his whereabouts, allowance money and keys to the house. Taehyung's dad was a workaholic. His work normally required him to fly to different places very frequently. Since young, Taehyung never approved of this job because he never got to see his dad, but as time went on, he somehow got used to it. He headed straight to his room and stripped down into his casual clothes. He jumped into bed and took apart his phone so he could have a peaceful night with no disturbance from people trying to contact him. Mostly, it was Sanghee's messages and phone calls that fill up the notification screen. He laid in bed with his eyes staring at the ceiling. Suddenly, Yejin's face flashed in his mind and made his stomach drop. Questions like, “How will I be able to help her?” floated into his mind. He rolled over and covered his face with his blankets. For some apparent reason, he couldn't stop thinking about her. Why her out of all people? He thought.

 


 

 A/N: Thanks for reading! I'm still  trying to figure out the specific writing style I have for this. COMMENT/SUBSCRIBE/SHARE! (: