Frantic Search

Rainy Day

          The cold wind hitting Taehyung's body motivated him to pump his legs faster. He ran and ran despite not knowing where Yejin was. He eventually, called his dad for help and after the fifth time calling, his call goes through to the man. Without a normal greeting, he immediately asked for where the Lee household was, but the call was cut short between the two. The call got switched over to his dad's assistant who in the man's place told the boy where the address was. After the call ended, Taehyung continued on his way. He reached the house completely out of breath and with a dry throat yearning for water. He held onto the gate for support and stared at Yooshin who was watering the garden in the yard.

 

Oh, hospital boy.” Yooshin cocked her head What is he doing here? Taehyung forced himself to look away from the spraying water and swallowed down the thirst. He walked through the grate and gave her a bow sloppily.

 

Where's your dad?”He asked as she turned off the water. She pointed to the house. He bowed again and walked to the door. though, he stopped within three steps. “Do you know where's Yejin?” He asked her again. She merely looked over her shoulder and scoffed.

 

Ask my mom.” She smirked and turned the water back on. He lets himself into the house and caught Yejin's mom walks by.

 

Who are you?” She backtracked with a confused look. He gave her his reluctant greeting and slightly shut the door behind him.

 

I'm Yejin's friend, Kim Taehyung.” He faked a smile as she nodded in understanding, though she didn't trust him.

 

She's not at home right now. Shouldn't you be at school?”

 

Yes, I'm here to take Yejin to school.” He answered in a calm manner. “If she didn't go to school...” He looked around, “Where would she be?”

 

Oh, probably on the streets somewhere.” Yoonshin casually announced when she slipped through the door. She shut the door as she kicked off her shoes. Her comment earned her an alarmed look from her step mom, but the girl brushed it off. “Dad is not here. I forgot that he went to look for that girl.” She said and went up the stairs. From hearing that response, Taehyung became extremely troubled. He wanted to talk to Mr. Lee, but seeing the look from her mom's eye, he knew he won't get anywhere if he stayed. Nor did he think he'll be able to reach Mr. Lee without her mom interfering. He muttered a quick goodbyeand left to another neighborhood.

 

          He checked the stores along the streets and nearby parks, but to his distress, she was no where to be found. Every time he found her not present, he swore aloud and asked himself where she could possibly be. With each passing minute, he became frustrated at himself and at her, though it all came down to one thing; he didn't want to abandon her. So, instead, he tried to become more composed and cool-headed.

 

          Suddenly, his phone started to ring and his jogging came to a halt. He checked his cellphone to see a number he didn't recognize, but he answered it anyway in hope it was Yejin.

 

Hello?” He panted when he heard the call connect.

 

Taehyung?” A worried male voice came through the other end. It only took Taehyung a second to realize who the voice belonged to. “I heard that you came to my house. Also, I heard from your dad. What's going on?”

 

Did you find her, Mr. Lee?” He continued to breath heavily.

 

Sadly, I haven't. I'm checking the places the neighbors said she normally goes to when she skips school.” The man said with background noise from cars passing. “Why aren't you in school?”

 

Can you tell me what happened? What has been going on?” Taehyung asked, but only silence came from the other side. He had to listen carefully to the background noise to make sure the call was still working.

 

Her father...Passed on this day” The man finally answered, followed by a deep sigh.

 

What do you mean?”

 

First of all, to clear things up,I'm her step father.” Mr. Lee sighed again, “Her mom and I... we weren't aware of what the date today was. We were also not aware of how Yejin has been doing.” Taehyung blinked away the tears stinging his eyes. He had no idea her dad has passed away. Now, he understands all the random depressing comments she would make and what she said a few weeks ago regarding the rain and how she felt her dad through it. His hand that held his phone dropped to his side despite Mr. Lee calling out to him on the phone. He ended the call without thinking and shoved it deep in his pocket. As he broke into a run to look for the girl, conversations between him and her filled his mind. He retraced all the memories he shared with her to the beginning of how the met. Worry overflowed in him when he remembered the fight he witnessed alone that night. And, how terrible she looked after the out come. That's when an idea popped into mind. He turned around and headed the opposite direction and towards his neighborhood park. Out of all the places he had checked, all that's left is the sole park near his house she found him in last time.

 

Namjoon, please answer this question.” The math teacher pointed to a complicated question by her head. Namjoon completely zoned out, but sulkily looked up at the question despite knowing he won't be able to answer. He opened his mouth, but before the wrong answer left his lips, he glanced at the ticking clock by the door. A smirk formed and he stalled for time. The school bells saved him from answering and the teacher dismissed them, though, most of them remained for night class that would start three hours from now. Namjoon hurriedly left the classroom to avoid the teacher who gave him detention for nearly two straight weeks now. He was near success until he bumped into Sanghee.

 

Move.” He said coldly, but her friends blocked him.

 

Where's Taehyung?” She dropped the sweet act and asked in a rough manner. He rolled his eyes and tried to go around again, but the same outcome.

 

He sighed and shoved the girls away,“I'm not in the mood to talk right now.”

 

Where did he go?” She asked once more and this time, he snapped.

 

How the hell am I suppose to know where you boyfriend is at all times?! You're the girlfriend!” He shoved pass them roughly. After taking three steps away, he stopped when he hears Sanghee swear.

 

He better not be with that .” She gritted her teeth. He bit his lips and walked backwards. He turned her around and pushed her against the wall. He pressed his hand against the wall just above her head and bent down to look her dead in the eye.

 

You better not have done anything.” He hissed and formed his hand into a fist. “If something happens to her, I won't forgive you.” He glared at her who flinched when he hits the wall with his fist. He pushed himself off with the action and with that said, he ran down the hall and out of the school where his bike was. After searching around the neighbor hood, he called for Taehyung and before he could say anything, Taehyung interrupted him and arranged for them to meet at the park. “Okay, I'm on my way.” He ended the call and rushed to the park.