Misunderstandings?

Rainy Day

Taehyung stared at Yejin's house with a proud smile on his face. You did well, Taehyung. Very well. He sighed and went on his way. The sound of his phone ringing in his bag stopped him from crossing the street. He stops at the corner and pulled it out to see an unknown number. He answered it without a second thought and as soon as he heard the voice, all the good feelings he had depleted from there.

 

- -

 

Are you really not going to go home?” Sojin asked as he lightly placed a bag of ice on her face which stung her. She sat up from lying down and glared at him with her hand on the bag, pressing it against her cheek bone. It's been about a week and her wounds are still somewhat fresh.

 

Do you not want me here?” She said quietly and laid back down. She adjusted the bag on her face and closed her eyes to relax.

 

It's not that I don't want you here..” He sat by her head. “Your step dad called a few minutes ago.” He told her, but she stayed quiet. He poked her head for a response, but still nothing. “I know you want to find out what he had said.”

 

Even if I didn't, you would tell me anyway, correct?” She sat up and faced him. He gave her a smile and handed her his phone to show the number.

 

Your mom wants you back home.” He spoke softly and by hearing so, made surprised her.

 

She wants me? She placed the bag down and blinked at him.

 

I think she finally came to her senses.” He smiled and tapped her hand to make her ice her face.

 

He thinks. She thought and the tiny amount of hope inside of her vanished. So that means it's not really what he had said.

 

I mean what I say. She really came to her senses. She wants you back home or else she'd starve herself.”

 

It's better off that I don't go home.” She mumbled, “That way, I won't trouble any of them and make them uncomfortable with me around.”

 

You’ve changed. I hate to say it, but those kids changed you. You're making more conversation with people now.” He her head which she brushed off. He stared at her displeased and wary face, knowing she's worried about her mom, but afraid of the outcomes. “Why don't you go over there and check on her. If she's really fine like you think she is, we can leave once and for all. You can stay here as long as you like.”

 

F-Fine.”

 

- -

 

Do you want me to go in with you?” He asked as they came to a complete stop outside of hte house. She took a quick glance at the entrance and a sudden change of thought came to her.

 

Maybe he should go in and check for me. She thought. He gave her a look and shook his head.

 

If youre thinking of me going in there for you, I will gladly decline.” He turned off the car engine. He yanked the key out of the hole and got out. “Might as well go together.” He went around the side and helped her out. She slowly climbed out and adjusted her jacket as he slammed the door shut. He held out his arm and she shyly held his sleeve instead. They walked to the door and he let her go to ring the door bell. A second later, loud shuffling came from the other side of the door before it opened up.

 

MY BABY!” Her mom wailed while her appearance was a total wreck. She flung her arms around the girl and dragged her down. “My baby.” She sobbed into her shoulder and her back. Yejin was completely shocked over the sudden change of her mom's attitude. Instead of returning the embrace, she sat there rigidly, not knowing what to do or say. Soon enough, her mom pulls away and held her by the face, “Please forgive mommy. I never blamed you for anything that happened. I-I-I just didn't know what to do.” She hiccupped.

 

Honey, why is the door – YEJIN!” Mr. Lee got down as well and hugged the two of them. “You're back!” He the girl's face with the pad of his thumb. “Ah, Sojin.” He greeted the silent man that stood off to the side. Sojin smiled and bowed. He tried to get a look at Yejin's face to tell if she was alright, but Yooshin caught his attention when she stood at the door with a scowl.

 

Why are you here?” She scoffed and proceeded to walk out the door. Mr. Lee exchanged looks with his wife and vice versa. They both nodded in understanding of each other.

 

Listen, young lady.” Mr. Lee said as he stood up with his wife and step daughter in hand. Yooshin turned with a look of annoyance, but doesn't say anything. “You can move out now. I want all your things gone by tonight.”

 

WHAT?!” Yooshin shrieked. Both Sojin and Yejin looked at he parents in surprise. They never thought something would esclate that easily. “WHAT DO YOU MEAN?”

 

You're old enough to move out.” Their mom smiled with tearful eyes.

 

Think of this as a lesson to you. If you don't mature, you don't get to live with us. We're done with babying you and allowing you to torment your sister.”

 

WHAT SISTER?! SHE NEVER THOUGHT OF US AS FAMILY ANYWAY, DAD.” She stomped her feet. “SHES A NO GOOD DAUGHTER.”

 

If you don't mind, I would also like to help Ms. Yooshin move out.” Sojin interrupted with a smirk. Yooshin's mouth dropped open as Yejin stiffled a little laugh.

 

Thank you for the offer.” Mr. Lee winked at the young man.

 

FINE, WHATEVER.” Yooshin scoffed once more and went on her way. They all watched her disappear down the street before going back to their longing embraces.

 

Thank you for looking after her all this time.” Her mom held Sojin's hand in gratitude.

 

Not at all, ma'am.” He shook hsi head.

 

So, dear will you be moving back in with us? We'll prepare everything and .... if you don't mind. We can finally become a real family. Hopefully, Yooshin will come to her senses soon. I'm sorry for all the times she had teased you and hurt you. I'm sorry for not acting my role as the father figure after all this time.”

 

We're both sorry.” Her mom held her hand as well. Yejin stared at her hand on top of Sojins. She was at loss for words. She looked in Sojin's eyes for signs of help, but he pnly smiled which looked like he wanted her to accept them both.

 

What.. Am I suppose to do now. She thought to herself. That's when her mind thought of Taehyung

 

Yejin?” Sojin held her hand, but she shook her head. She pulled her hand out and bowed to them. Without another word, she walked away and gradually, she started to run.

 

Perhaps she needs time to think over.” Sojin excused himself and went to his car. He simply sent her a text of reassurance before going off to work. However, he felt some jealousy towards Taehyung because he knew that she ran off just to find him.

 

Where are you today?” Taehyung texted Yejin a few minutes after she left. She replied quickly and they both decided to meet at the playground.

 

Why am I feeling so nervous? She thought to herself as she got closer to the place with each step.

 

Wait, I'll be a little late.” Taehyung texted and just as he sent the text, Sanghee's lips crashed onto his. He stared at her in shock while she kissed him passionately. She wrapped her arms around his neck and deepened the kiss.

 

And with perfect timing, Yejin arrived at the park in exhaustion. She checked the text that came through and read with quickly. She placed her phone in her back pocket and looked around. Her eyes stopped at the field to see the two of them together. She stumbled and backed into the street light pole. Her eyes locked tightly on Taehyung. Act like you didn't see it. She told herself and forced her eyes away, but they eventually went back to the couple.

 

Let's get back together.” She read Sanghee's lips before the girl left. And by that, ti crushed her. She searched Taehyung's face for some kind of answer, but he only had his eyes on Sanghee walking away.

 

Whatever, he probably won't go back to her. He knows he's better than that. She took a deep breath and ran over. “Taehyung!” She shouted and crashed into him. He caught her, but looked at her in surprise. She stopped herself and looked into the eyes that showed he was flustered. He was caught off guard completely.

 

W-What's up?” He tried to stand back, but she wrapped her arms around his waist. He resisted the hug at first because he was unsure of what to do, but ended up holding her anyway. He wrapped his arms around her shoulders and hugged her tightly. “What's wrong? Did something happen?”

 

You... talked to my mom, didn't you?” She asked and his grip loosened. She felt the uncomfortableness and slowly backed away from him to give him space. He nodded and continued  to fake a smile. "Are... you okay?"

 

"Yeah, I'm fine." He lied again, "So, how was talking to your mom?"

 

"No, look at me. Why are you acting this way?" She backed away from him even more. Taehyung shook his head repeatedly, but she wasn't buying his act.  She stared at the ground as she thought over how he'd been acting for the past several days. That's when it clicked in her head. "If... I make you feel uncomfortable.. just say so.."

 

"I-It's not like that." He laughed nervously, but this time she shook her head.

 

"Is it... because of what I said that night?" She looked at him sadly, "Or.. "

 

"No! I-It's not." He tried to make eye contact with her, but she looked away. "Listen, I have something to tell you." He said solemnly.

 

"I understand.." She slowly backed away again, "I'll stop." 

 

"No, Yejin it's not." He called after her when she began to walk away. He sighed due to frustration and ran his fingers through his hair. It's not what I meant..