Precious Friend

Rainy Day

 “I wonder if that bastard really moved away without telling us.” Namjoon sighed with his chin resting on his hand and broom. He glanced over at Sanghee who was cleaning the dirt from beneath her finger nails. He rolled his eyes and dropped the broom. “Are you not going to help?”

 

I wasn't the one who got us in trouble.” She scoffed and crossed her leg over the other. “Your fault, not mine.” She shrugged and pulled out a nail file from her bag. Another sigh came from Namjoon, but this time more frustrated. He ran his fingers through his hair and asked himself how Taehyung could put up with this crap. He picked up the broom and leaned it against the wall.

 

This is all her fault. He insisted. The two had gotten into an argument in the middle of class over the fact that Taehyung was brought up by nosy students. They both defended Taehyung, but were quick to lash out at each other for not knowing the boy's whereabouts. “I'm going home. You can clean the rest.” He grabbed his sling bag before walking out of the class. Sanghee stood from her seat and screamed his name at the top of her lungs, but he didn't come back.

 

That guy pisses me off.” She mutters to herself and picked up the broom. Namjoon pulled out his headphones and played his music on blast with the headphones around his neck. He made sure to cut the music when he saw the teachers because as soon as one of them see him, he's bound to be caught by the teacher who gave him clean up duty. He sneaked out through the back of the school and made his way home. He breathed in and out the cold air to his liking. The cold hitting any visible skin cooled him off from his heated talk with Sanghee. With his music playing loudly and casually walking through the snow, he passed by the field to get his bike that was locked near the fence of the field. Just as he arrived at his bike with his key out, he saw Yejin standing in the middle of the snow filled field.

 

What is she doing? He smiled a bit. He unlocked his bike and sat in it to observe the girl. She had been standing outside since school had ended. Her thoughts were everywhere so she needed a breath of fresh and cold air to relieve her from over thinking. Also, she didn't want to go home either. At home she would spend time in her room doing homework with her mind thinking of the company and her corrupted family life. At school, all she could think of is the missing Taehyung. Despite knowing each other and with him pestering her, never once had he given his number or asked for hers. She looked up at the light gray sky and held the ring he had given her before he left. She held it up high and outlined the barely visible sun with the silver band.

 

Where could that guy be? She thought, Why do I still keep this around my neck. She rotated the ring between her fingers. Namjoon continued to watch her out of curiosity. Normally, he would be quick to call out to her, but today, he felt like watching her from afar. Thought the view was cut short when saw a man approaching her from behind.

 

Yejin.” She turned at the sound of her name. Thinking it was Sojin, she prepared herself to receive an earful from him, but it wasn't who she thought it was.

 

You..” She mumbled due to her scarf covering half of her face. There stood Taehyung smiling, dressed in his school uniform.

 

I knew it was you.” He breathed out. Before she could do anything, he pulled her into a hug. “Sorry for leaving you alone. I'm here now and I won't go anywhere.” He her back. “I decided I won't be living with my mom or seeing her again. I don't want to leave this neighborhood, this school, my friends... and you.” He pulled away from the hug just a bit to face her.

 

Why? She questioned. He lifted the ring up and held it between them. He stared at the ring and brought it close to her face.

 

Because you're my precious friend.” He whispered. Namjoon watched in shock to fully realize it was Taehyung who had approached the girl. Almost instantly, his eyes flicker up to his homeroom class window with his mind thinking of Sanghee. He didn't want her to see what he had seen because knowing her temper, she'll ruin Yejin. To his relief, he only sees her back facing the window. With that, he hurriedly ran towards Yejin and Taehyung because he also knows that Sanghee hates seeing Taehyung and Yejin alone together. All he wanted was to not get his friend in more trouble than he already is and experience the wrath of Sanghee again.

 

Yeah, can you pick me up now, dad?” Sanghee rolled her eyes. “Okay, see you soon.” She ended the call. She walked over to the window to check out the view, but to only see Namjoon drop kick Taehyung to the ground. Seeing Taehyung fall in the snow while laughing along with Namjoon surprised her. Her missing boyfriend was finally back. She turned away and collected her things promptly, but after shoving everything in her bag, she turned back to the window cautiously. She stared closely at the two fighting with snow, to see Yejin standing next to them. While the boys played like elementary kids, Yejin tried to avoid their friendly conflict, but seeing them enjoy themselves, she found herself smiling. Sanghee's eyes goes wide and her bag slipped from her fingers. Anger started to fire up within her when she continued to watch Yejin smiling to herself. The boys soon engage the girl in a snow fight, but she was inactive. “That.. – “ Sounds of high heels clicking on the floor cuts her off. She hurriedly faced the door with a smile and holding the garbage bag next to her.

 

Seems like you cleaned up well here.” The snooty teacher said and pushed her glasses back onto the bridge of her nose. “You may leave once you take out the trash.” She went on her way, completely oblivious to the fact Namjoon wasn't present. Sanghee faced the window again and vowed for revenge.

 

This time, you're finished. She clenched her teeth.