Confession

Rainy Day

          While tending each others wounds, they both had awkward encounters with each other. Either their faces were too close to each other or their touches would be too intimate.

 

This is the last one.” Yejin said in a whisper as she cleaned the cut beneath Taehyung's eye. He held his breath as she got closer and closer with the tiny band aid. “Stop leaning away.” She said and he faced the other way.

 

I-I can do it myself.” He said and took the band aid from her. She shrugged and watched him walk to the bathroom. Once he passed the livingroom and seeing her out of sight, he sighed with a hand over his chest. Why am I so nervous? He hurriedly walked into the washroom and locked the door. That guy sure has a nice place. I can't believe he's been living here with her too. He thought as he stuck the band aid on his face. He gave it a light tap, but the pain was unbearable to the point he had to bite in his yelp. He returned to living room to find the girl missing. “Yejin?” He circled the house to see if she was anywhere, but soon found him standing at the door of the master bedroom. He knocked on the door twice and waited for a response. “Yejin?” He said and opened the door warily. The room was door with only a single lamp light shining in the corner of the room to where Sojin's desk was. Something reflected off the light which caught his attention and made him walk over. There was a picture slipped between a black leather journal. He carefully pulls it out halfway to see what it was of. There on the white bordered picture was of Sojin and Yejin together during their younger years. Yejin had the exact beaming smile in her family picture and her arms were tightly around a straight faced Sojin. Just by that smile, he found himself smiling and the picture of Yejin. I'm going to see this smile no matter what. He promised to himself and left the room like he was never there. He had a feeling the girl could be out back so he grabbed his jacket off the couch and went outside. And there she was, hugging herself tightly and staring up at the sky. “Thinking about your dad?” He asked softly and wrapped his jacket around her.

 

          Sojin who arrived home, eavesdropped the conversation from inside.

 

 

My dad... was an amazing person. He was handsome, strong, docile, loving and selflessness man. He was strong, yet gentle with everything and everyone. He was docile and selflessness because he was a man who wanted the best for everyone and thought nothing of himself. He was willing to do anything for anyone and all in return he wanted was to see them happy.” She paused to stop her voice from shaking. Taehyung just stared at her and patiently waited for her to continue while Sojin's stomach dropped. “That morning... he and I went out to play in the park because after begging him to spend time with me for so long, he took a break from his work just for me. Even though it was just that morning, seeing how he made time for me made my extremely happy. We played and played for hours while making up songs and games here and there. Afterwards we went out to his favourite cafe, ordered both a hot chocolate and we would split a huge brownie.” She lets out a sad laugh, “He would always let me eat the whip cream from his cup and give me the bigger piece of the brownie. It was our little secret.” She stared at the ground, “He and I were suppose to go back to the company together. He would do his work in his office while I would play off in a corner, but there was a change of plans so we had to go home because my uncle decided to visit. We arrived at home and he gave me a kiss on the forehead before telling me to greet my uncle. I raced to the living room to where my uncle sat and greeted him formally. I went off to give my mom a kiss as she was preparing some snacks and coffee. I went off to play with my dolls by the stairs like usual, but the conversation between my dad and uncle caught my attention. They spoke in hushed tones and it sounded like my uncle was in trouble. I managed to peer into the living room to see him on his knees and my dad holding him by the shoulders. They both looked at me with troubled faces, but my mom shielded them from me. Suddenly, there was several loud poundings by the door which startled me and my mom. My dad shoved my uncle away and they both headed upstairs. For a child my age, I was confused and scared, but mostly being confused. I stuck close to my mom and watched her put on a brave face before answering the door. There stood two muscular men with tattoos and both looked like trouble. They asked for my uncle in name, but my mom managed to convince them she didn't know the person.”

 

What did they want? What did your uncle say?” Taehyung asked with curiosity.

 

He and those followed him others messed with a rival gang who were affiliated with intimidating back ups. They wanted him dead.” She swallowed hard. “Later on, throughout the day, I stuck onto my dad like glue. I followed him around the house until he had to leave for work and followed him to work. Never once did I leave his side. Normally, he would keep me in his office with some bribery, but I know he knew I was scared so he let me stay by his side. Because of those men, I was cautious and paranoid by my surroundings. I didn't know who they were, but I knew that they were bad people.” She sighed once more.

 

What happened next...?”

 

That night, I let them killed my dad.”

 

          Taehyung stumbled back in shock. His legs were shaking, but he kept strong so that he wouldn't fall over. W-What does she mean?

 

          Sojin on the other hand, looked away with sorrow filled eyes and stared at his feet.

 

Before we went home that night, we stopped by the convenience store because I wanted something sweet. I craved for candy, ice cream and anything junk food related. He bought what I wanted without even saying a word. He spoiled me so much.” She dug her nails into her arms, “As we got in the car, I thought I saw the men waiting for us a few cars behind us, but my dad brushed it off, saying I should just forget what I saw. He was wrong. We were on out way to the freeway when suddenly, one of our tires exploded. Everything was a blur to me, but I know we flipped the car several of times. When I came too, we were stuck. Dad was bleeding, I was bleeding and everything reeked of death in the car. I was sure I was going to die that very moment. If not that moment, probably in minutes, hours or even in a day because everything in my body hurt. I was drifting in and out of consciousness. Dad done everything he could to keep me awake. If it wasn't for him, I would of cried hysterically and made the matters worse. What seemed like hours, finally ended. I awoke to sirens coming from mys side and the sense of relief overflowed within me. I turned to tell him the great news, but his eyes were closed. Because of him, I survived. Because of me, he died.”

 

You can't say that.” Taehyung croaked and cautiously back hugged her. “Y-You did nothing wrong.” He hugged her tightly and with that, she began to cry.

 

If I didn't tell him to stop by at the store, those men wouldn't of seen us. Because of me, he died.” She began to shake. “It turned out, those men wanted compensation from my uncle. Since my dad was a CEO, he had the money to get my uncle out of danger. All he wanted was for my uncle to promise him to live like a normal human being. To live with goals in life and to reach for the best. But, because of my dad and uncle being twins, those men mistaken my dad and decided to harm him instead.

 

Cry all you want, Yejin. I'm here for you.” Taehyung whispered.

 

I abandoned everyone after that. No one abandoned me. I secluded myself and shut everyone out. I never wanted that to happen, but I can't let go of the past. It still haunts me. The things I promised my dad... I never fulfilled. My mom couldn't even look at me after he died. She was never like how she is now. She was exactly the same as dad. They were the perfect match for each other. I made her become like this.” She wiped away her tears and lets out a loud sigh. “But after finally saying what I've been wanting to say all this time, it feels nice. My heart feels better. It's like I found a little breathing hole for me to live on.” She turned around to face him with a tear stained face. “But, I'm thankful. For you, Sojin and Namjoon.” She smiled genuinely for the first time. That very smile that once brought a lot of joy to people, broke Taehyung and Sojin's heart simultaneously. Sojin couldn't take it anymore so he retreated into his room. It took him all his power and strength to get him inside and lock the door. As soon as the door locked, he slid against the door and broke down crying.

 

I'm sorry, Yejin. He thought repeatedly over and over. The thoughts of his promises to her dad flashed into his mind. The thoughts where he had promised the man that he'll protect the daughter they both loved. "I knew from the start that you love her. Please, be her guardian, her support and her shield when I'm not here. Promise me with your love to her." Was the last text message Sojin ever recieved from the man.

 

-

Thank you for being here with me. I finally found someone who I can put all my sadness in and in return give me happiness.” Yejin whispered. 

 

You don't have to thank me.” Taehyung smiled, “From the very first time I looked into your eyes, I knew we had something in common.”

 

Can I tell you something?” She stared at the ground.

 

What?” He lifted her chin from the ground.

 

Promise you won't look at me differently when I tell you.” She bit her lip nervously.

 

I promise.” He held her by both of the hands.

 

I think...I like you.” She said with her eyes on the ground again. She took in a deep breath and hugged him.

 

W-What?” He stuttered.

 

I like you, Kim Taehyung.”