D-Day

Sori

“I’ll mix and master the recording and burn it on a cd for you” Jinyoung said as they were making their way back to the hospital. “No need, the raw recording is enough for me. It was a lot of fun recording it, thank you for giving me the opportunity to. I don’t know how to repay you…” Sori drifted off to think up ways she could thank him, but nothing good enough came to mind.

The only thing her parents ever thanked people with was money, but she didn’t like the idea of that. A sincere thank you can’t be shown with something so materialistic she thought.

“There’s no need. I’m actually the one who should be saying thank you. I’ve been feeling motivated lately… like I should deliver music more sincerely than before” Jinyoung revealed. Sori turned her head at Jinyoung in surprise, “I’m happy I could affect a musician that way” she said, smiling to herself.

A musician. Jinyoung thought. For some reason, Sori calling him a musician made him incredibly happy.  If she loses her hearing, she won’t be able to hear another one of my songs ever again. This realization suddenly made Jinyoung feel distressed.

“Are you okay?” Sori suddenly questioned. Jinyoung looked away from her. “You look sick” they were now near the entranced of the hospital. “I’m fine, let’s go. It’s really late, you should be asleep” he said, coldly walking forward.

“Your mixed song… I’ll give it to you after your surgery. You’ll listen to it, right?” He said suddenly as they walked to Sori’s room door. “Umm, Jinyoung I don’t thi-“ “I’ll give it to you then, goodnight Sori” Jinyoung said leaving. What’s up with him? she shrugged and decided to get ready for bed.

 

 

Jinyoung returned to Baro’s room to find him still awake playing a game. All the members had left but Jinyoung decided to stay the night.

“Hyung, where did you go for so long? I was lonely,” Baro whined with no response. He looked to be deep in thought and rather uptight.

“Hyung, are you ok?” Baro asked. “I don’t know. I’m just annoyed with myself” Jinyoung plainly replied, lying down on the long aqua sofa next to Baro’s bed.

“Why is this bothering me so much? I don’t want to be so worried and concerned over someone I barely know” Jinyoung mumbled to himself.

“Who’s annoying you?” Baro asked, curious now. “Did that Sori girl do something?”

“No, she did nothing, so why am I feeling this way” Jinyoung pondered. “Feeling what? Get to the point hyung, I’m tired” Baro yawned.

“For making me take interest in her. I don’t want to admit it but..”

“You like her” Baro finished off. “I knew it. The moment she played that song of hers you had stars in your eyes" Baro snickered.

“Ya! It’s really not funny. It’s all your fault too, if you hadn’t broken your leg I would have just remembered her as a fan” Jinyoung sighed.

 “So now if she’s no longer a fan, then what is she?”

“A woman…I want to protect”

 

 

 

“Tomorrow is the day” Sori dryly sang stirring some sugar in her tea. “Why do you look so emotionless? If you’re sad, can you cry or something? It’s creeping me out.” Oh Dongin complained.

“I don’t know Dongin, I just know…. I’m going to lose my hearing. I can feel it… I’m really scared but I’m not going to spend my last day hearing myself cry” Sori sighed.

“Shut up! You don’t know that silly!” He said, taking Sori’s hand.

“Dongin-ah, how do you always stay so optimistic all the time? When I’m happy, it only lasts for a moment until I realize what state my life is in” Sori put her head down to hide her tears.

“What’s the point in being negative? If the days I have left are few, then I should spend the rest of my days being happy, right? And if they’re not, then there’s no point in being sad! You never know what’s going to happen next, so might as well live for the best…. " he consoled. "Hey... but I heard you were out real late last night, where did you go?” Oh Dongin asked, changing the subject.

“I was with Jinyoung. He let me record my song! It was pretty cool” Sori smiled in remembrance. Thank god I made her smile a Dongin thought feeling satisfied.

“Wahh really! Why didn’t you take me with you! I think he likes you, Sori-ah!” Dongin winked at Sori. “It’s not like that! He sees me as a fan and I see him as an idol” Sori clarified, sipping some of her tea.

“What if he liked you? Wouldn’t you like him back? I mean, you’re his fan!” Dongin said, getting excited.

Sori looked up and thought about it “You think those kind of feelings can really exist in me right now? Dongin-ah, I don’t have time for that kind of thing.” She still has 0 interest in relationships. What if she ends up alone forever? Dongin worried.  

 

 

 

“Oh Dongin!” Dongin turned around to see Jinyoung calling him “Wahh, Jinyoung hyung! You’re still here?” Dongin said with a huge smile.

“Yeah, umm I wanted to ask you something” Jinyoung hesitated.

“What is it, hyung?~” Dongin sang.

“What time is Sori’s surgery tomorrow?”

“1PM, why do you ask?” Oh Dongin questioned, raising an eyebrow.

“Uhh…” “you like her don’t you?!” Dongin interrupted, nudging him.

“no no, that’s not it! It’s because… I need to give her something before then,” Jinyoung covered. I have a schedule, I don’t think I’ll be able to make it.

 

 

“Sori, are you ready for your surgery tomorrow?” Nurse Jung asked taking a seat next to her on the sofa in her room.

“I-I don’t want to go through it anymore. I need some more time. But then again, If I don’t do it now, I won’t be able to do it ever. The odds are less than 30%, what hope is there anyway?” Sori said, distressed. “I thought I was a really strong person… but I guess I’m not” tears begun to roll down Sori’s face once again. Nurse Jung took her hand in comfort. “I’m sorry, I wish we knew how the surgery would turn out. But try your best to hold in there, no matter what happens” Nurse Jung comforted, taking Sori’s hand.

 

“Sorry to interrupt.” Sori instantly wiped away her tears at the sight of Jinyoung walking in. “It seems you have a visitor. I’ll leave you two alone” Nurse Jung smiled, getting up.

 

Jinyoung carefully sat next to Sori. She looked away from him, trying to wipe her tears without him noticing.

“Here” he said handing her a tissue. “I don’t need it” she refused. She turned around and forced a smile on her face.

“I’ve been wondering for a while now…but why do you have to do the surgery? If there’s a chance you may lose your hearing, then isn’t it better to just not do it at all?” Jinyoung asked.

“If I don’t get it... my hearing will just get worse and the pain will be unbearable. I won’t be able to function if I don’t get it. The purpose of this surgery is to prevent that, keeping my hearing is just a bonus” Sori explained.

Sori and Jinyoung sat there in silence for a while. The atmosphere was tense but Sori felt comfort in having someone just sit next to her silently.

Sori took out her mp3 player and put one of the ear buds in Jinyoung’s ears and one in hers. “This is my favorite classical piece” she said, pressing the play button “Ennino Morricone – La Califfa”.  Sori closed her eyes, cherishing the music she was hearing.

Jinyoungs eyes stayed glued to Sori’s intent expression. He could then sense how much music meant to her, which only made his heart ache more. He slowly worked up the courage to hold her hand.

Sori, Startled, turned her face to him in confusion but didn’t withdraw her hand from his. Why is he staring at me like that? She thought. Both just sat there silently, staring at each other until a sudden disturbance.

 

“Ya, Kim Sori!” Sori quickly let go of Jinyoung’s hand and got up. Mrs. Kim came in looking at her suspiciously. “Who is this?” she said not recognizing who Jinyoung was.

“What do you want? I’m shocked you even came. I have no appointments today” Sori said, rolling her eyes

“Haejin's parents are waiting for you downstairs. We’re going out for dinner, go get ready.” Sori let out a laugh at her mothers orders.

“You really think I want to spend my last day hearing your voices? I’d rather lose my hearing right now than leave with you” Sori yelled, looking at her mother in disgust.

“I don’t have any time to argue with you, now stop being a little brat and get ready” Mrs. Kim grabbed Sori’s wrist tightly but Sori angrily shook it off making her mother fall.

“Ya, Kim Sori!” Her mother shouted. Sori, without a hint of demur, fled the room.

Jinyoung quickly helped her mother up. “Thank you” she said half-heartedly. Jinyoung bowed and immediately ran in search for Sori.

 

 

“Oh Dongin, have you seen Sori?” Jinyoung asked. “Sori? She had another fight with her mom right? It’s best to leave her alone… she’ll be back, don’t worry” Dongin said with a warm smile. Jinyoung decided it was best to go home. He couldn’t stand to be in the hospital anymore and he felt he needed to get his thoughts and feelings together.

 

 

 

“Kim Sori” The nurse called. “It’s time for your operation” she said giving her a comforting smile. “Alright, just a minute. “

“Well Oh Dongin, I guess this is it” Sori said, trying to look strong. “Fighting! Sori-ah!” Dongin said cheering her on. Sori crouched down and gave Dongin a hug. “Ya, Oh Dongin, if I lose my hearing, you better not speak in informal language with me, got it?!” Sori said. “Alright, Sori-AH~ I’ll see you soon.” As Sori sat in the wheel chair she took a deep breath. Dongin waved and smiled to her. Don’t cry Oh Dongin, you have to be strong for her. Sori waved back, water forming in her eyes,

“Thanks for everything Dongin-ah” she said as she was being pulled away “I love you.” were her final words before they rolled her away.

 

 

“Oh Dongin!” Jinyoung said out of breath. He had a CD in his hand. “Where’s Sori, am I too late?” Jinyoung breathed.

“She already went in hyung” Dongin said, shedding his tears. Jinyoung crouched down and wiped them away with the end of his sleeve.

“How could her parents have not come on the day of her operation, isn’t that a bit too much?” Dongin sighed. “Th-they didn’t come?!” Jinyoung yelled, his expression turning frustrated.

Her family is no joke. How lonely has Sori been all these years?