Make a wish

Sori

May 15th, 2013:

“My name is Kim Sori. At the age of 22 I found out that I could no longer follow my dreams. They told me if I continued, life would get difficult. But I didn’t listen to them. I was a recently graduated university student, motivated to finally make something of my life. With unloving parents, I couldn’t just let the one thing that motivated me go. But here I am, one year later, in a hospital bed, counting down the days I have left to hear.

I love music. I love creating it. I grew up watching live orchestras with my aunts and dreaming of some day creating classical pieces and producing beautiful songs for the artists that I admired. I was sure I would make it. I come from a rich family, so I had everything I needed at my fingertips. The connections, the money, I was sure that I would definitely reach my dreams as long as I worked hard. I was wrong.

Hard work? That’s useless when you have something taken away from you. All the hard work was wasted when I found out I would lose my hearing if I continued to work with music. My ears became sensitive to loud noises, and they said if I continued, I could lose my hearing forever.

Here I am, waiting to get a mandatory operation done due to the effects my dreams had on my ears. Tears begin to roll down my face just thinking about how I may never be able to listen to music again. I’ll never be able to hear an orchestra again. I’ll never be able to go to a concert again. Why is life so unfair? It’s funny isn’t it? My name means “sound” but in a few days, I may not be able to hear a pin drop.”

 

 

“When she was 22 the future looked bright

but she’s nearly 30 now and she’s out every night

I see that look in her face, she’s got that look in her eyes

She’s wondering how did I get here

I’m wondering, why?”

Sori quietly sings a song while her mom speaks with the doctor. Her head tilted with an emotionless expression, she continues.

 

“it’s sad but it’s true how society says her life is already over

there’s nothing to do and there’s nothing to say la la-“

 

“Kim Sori! Were you even listening to what the doctor was saying!?” Sori’s mom raged, annoyed as the doctor left the room.

 “Ehh? listen? You should get used to it, mom. Soon I won’t be able to hear a thing! On the Brightside I won’t have to hear your voice anymore.”

“Are you taking this as a joke? If you lose your hearing you’ll have to learn sign language and all of that nonsense! Not only that, but it will be dangerous for you to go out by yourself! How on earth will I get you married? No one wants a deaf wife!” Mrs. Kim placed both of her hands on her face in frustration. She ran her fingers through her jet black hair and shook her head.

“Of course, mom. Marrying me off to some superficial hag who only cares if I’m popping out babies and becoming a homemaker is totally my top worry!” Sori laughed. “You know very well how I don’t want to get married or have kids, so I guess it turned out good for the both of us, right mom?”

Mrs. Kim grabbed Sori’s wrist in frustration “ listen to me Sori, I didn’t have you so you can rebel and spit out nasty words at me and your father. I’m your mother, and I worked hard raising you! I gave you only the best, and you’ll do as I say from now on. I already made the mistake in letting you choose the major you wanted, now look how that turned out? See? I’m always right, so shut your mouth.” Sori pulled her arm away in disgust “Don’t touch me!” she exclaimed as she stomped out of her chair. 

Sori took a halt mid way out of the room and swung her head around half way. “Our blood relation has nothing to do with you being my mother. You have to act like a mother to be one first” she said coldly and then continued to leave the room.

 

As Sori headed out for some fresh air someone stopped her. “Sori-ssi? Your operation is in a few days, right?” nurse Jung asked with a warm smile. “Yes, i’m wondering what to do before I lose my hearing…” she says, scratching the back of her head.

“Sori, you don’t know that yet. I’ll pray that it all goes well for you. You like music right? You should fill out one of these forms! Maybe you’ll get chosen?” the nurse handed Sori a form titled “make a wish”.

“What.. is this? Some sort of contest?” she questioned. “Something like that. You just write down whom you wish to meet, why, and what you wish for them to do for you. I hear you’re a great writer. I’m sure your letter will get chosen!”

“Ahh… I see… well why not? I have nothing else to do anyways” she said taking the form. “Just hand it to me when you’re done and I’ll send it in for you!” Sori bowed as the nurse walked away.

 

“I need to find a place to sit” Sori  mumbled as she searched for a place to fill out the form. She spoted an empty seat in the lounge and quickly grabbed it before it gets taken. She looked down at the paper and faded into deep thought about whom she wanted to meet. She was sure she wanted to meet a singer, but who? Sori suddenly began to giggle to herself “imagine they came? I would die!” she screeches, as her cheeks turn pink.

 A small boy sitting beside her began to stare at her with a concerned look. “Yah, Oh Dongin, what are you staring at?” Sori says, messing up his hair. “wondering if I should call the nurse or not” he replied. “I’ll let you know when I feel like I’m losing it” she says with a chuckle. “Whatever you say, crazy”.

 

Sori looked back at the form. “It’s worth a shot, I think I have a higher chance of meeting an idol group than a veteran singer, anyways.“ Sori ponders a little while longer and then begins to write her letter.

“B1A4”