Breaking the Silence

Sori

“You seem to be recovering well, Sori-ssi. Your ears seem to be fine as well. They’re still quite sensitive though so you have to remain cautious. I know it’s a difficult lifestyle to live for a 23 year old, but try to keep yourself in quiet places. Make sure your friends and family are aware too” the Doctor explained.

Every week Sori had to go in and get a check up to make sure that her ears were healing fine. “Can I play musical instruments? Or not yet?” Sori asked.

“You can…but make sure they aren’t too loud or take up too much of your energy. Playing the piano should be fine…I’d stay away from your violin a bit longer though. I still don’t think your ears can handle that much sound”

“That’s alright, at least I can hear, right?” Sori smiled “Thank you Doctor for all of your hard work” Sori bowed and took her leave.

 

 

“I heard from Jinyoung. I can’t believe you two got into a fight already!” Dongin whined.

“Are you even surprised? I always get into fights with people one way or another" Sori sighed. “I guess I’m the problem…but I can’t just change myself…” Sori leaned her head on both of her palms, looking at the empty coffee cup beneath her.

“You both are wrong! I can’t event take sides this time. Jinyoung shouldn’t have done it, but you shouldn’t have ran away! You should have talked it through with him. It could have been resolved!” Dongin said, shaking Sori.

“You know I can’t talk to people properly when I feel suffocated. I was too surprised by what he said to be able to calmly talk to him” Sori explained. “I don’t know how I’m going to resolve this. I just know I’ll feel anxious and run away again!” Sori voiced, pounding her head on the table.

“Sori-ah!” Dongin lifted Sori’s head  “You have to make up with him, and quickly! If you let this drag on, it’ll only get worse. And then you’ll regret it!” Dongin advised.

“Dongin, I’m still really hurt… even if it seems like a small thing to other people, it’s the thing I hate the most! I hate it when people doubt me. If you doubted me, I’d be really upset, wouldn’t you be upset too? If I doubted you?”

Dongin thought about what Sori said. “I guess…but, you and Jinyoung still have a lot to learn about each other… it’s only been a couple of months since you met… Don’t couples have to go through these kinds of things to fully trust each other?” Dongin made a good point, making Sori feel even more frustrated.

“I just need some time to think…just some time..” Sori mumbled. “Dongin-ah, you aren’t looking so good these days though.. You look kind of pale.. Are you alright?” Sori asked while putting her hand against Dongin’s forehead.

“I’m fine, Sori-ah” Dongin forced a smile onto his face. “Whenever you’re feeling sick, you have to tell me, alright?” Sori said, holding Dongin’s hand as Dongin nodded back at her.

 

 

 

“She already rejected you!? I don’t have time for this. I have no use for you anymore” Mrs. Kim was getting extremely annoyed by her failed attempt with Hyungsoo.

“It’s only been a few days, she hasn’t even said no to my offer-“

“You’re an idiot! You think that direct guilt trip attempt was going to work on her? I thought you knew her? You’re almost as bad as Haejin!”

“That’s the only method that’s going to work with her, Mrs. Kim! Either that or threatening her with someone she loves. Who told you she rejected me anyways?”

“Haejin told me everything. That boy has some use after all” Mrs. Kim crossed her legs.  “You can leave now, don’t expect to be paid either” Mrs. Kim said coldly.

“What!? You’re not even going to pay me anything?” Hyungsoo was extremely unsatisfied. Suddenly, he thought of something, something that could come of use for Mrs. Kim.

“I happen to have garnered a bit of information that will help you greatly, but I guess if you’re not going to pay me-"

Mrs. Kim raised her eyebrows in interest and let out an annoyed sigh “alright, I get it. This information better be useful or else you’re not getting even half of what I offered”

Hyungsoo smirked before he began “Well you see, Sori… she has a boyfriend” Hyungsoo said while looking up at Mrs. Kim.

Her face was flushed with confusion for a moment. “That crazy feminist has a boyfriend? Are you serious? How? He must be pretty amazing then...Who is it?” Mrs. Kim questioned, getting out of her seat. She was surprised that her daughter actually had a boyfriend. Sori had only had one, which was Hyungsoo.

“She must like him a lot. You know she would never get into this kind of relationship if she didn’t”

“Tell me who he is and everything you know about him” Mrs. Kim said handing Hyungsoo an envelope.

“It’ll be my honor” Hyungsoo smirked.

 

 

Mrs. Kim made her way to her husband’s office. She was incredibly excited to let him in on the news. She felt like her problems would soon be resolved and that her husband would finally show her some love and respect, something she had been longing for ever since they got married.

“Honey, I have something important to tell you, it’s about Sori” Mrs. Kim began, approaching his desk.

“This better be important if you’re interrupting me like this. I don’t have time to waste on useless talk” Mr. Kim replied coldly.

“You’ll be glad to hear this news; Sori has a boyfriend! Isn’t that great?” Mrs. Kim exclaimed

“She…has a boyfriend?” Mr. Kim said looking up. “That is good news… bring him here immediately. So we can have a little talk with him” Mr. Kim ordered.

“Already? Don’t you think it’s a little too soon? It might scare him away…” Mrs. Kim pulled the end of her sleeve.

“Sori doesn’t have any plans of getting married or having children. We have to tell him clearly what he has to do or else there’s no use for him” Mr. Kim said.

“Shouldn’t we just let things naturally happen… I’m sure if we give them time, they’ll progress on their own” Mrs. Kim said biting her lip.

"Are you really disobeying what I’m ordering you to do? There’s no time to waste! You’ve already wasted it all! Bring him in here immediately!” Mr. Kim ordered.

 

 

 

Jinyoung sat there, staring at his cell phones screen. He couldn’t seem to concentrate at all on what he was doing.  “How am I going to finish this song?” he thought. He turned his attention to his phone “Why hasn’t she called me back yet” Jinyoung was growing impatient. It pained him to think of another day like this. He couldn’t get his mind off of Sori, he kept repeating that day in his head.

“Jinyoung-ah, are you almost done?” Shinwoo asked, sitting next to him.

“Huh?” Jinyoung exclaimed, snapping back into reality. “The song, are you almost done? Do you need any help?” Shinwoo asked. “I can’t seem to finish it up… I just have no motivation and energy right now” Jinyoung laid his head on the table.

“This is about Sori, isn’t it?” Shinwoo was worried about Jinyoung. He had been down for the past few days. He was usually cheerful and full of motivation.

“Why don’t you two just make up already? Go to her apartment and see her. Sori probably wants to make up with you too” Shinwoo suggested.

“I can’t. She’ll call me when she’s ready to talk to me.  I don’t want to make things awkward for her…” Jinyoung said. “Well, one of you better do something soon, don’t you know what happens when you drag fights? Remember that one time you and I fought over something so stupid. We didn’t talk to each other for weeks and we wouldn’t have made up if it wasn’t for the members” Shinwoo reminded.

“Eh, that was during our trainee days, we weren’t as close as we are today” Jinyoung reasoned. “Exactly, you and Sori are the same. You’re in your pre debut stage” Shinwoo let out a laugh. “I’m pretty smart” Shinwoo self complimented.

“Get out of here, I need to finish this song” Jinyoung said, trying to hide his laughter.

“Alright, but if you two don’t make up soon, the rest of us are going to do something about it. Don’t under estimate Baro’s plans” Shinwoo said before he left.

 

 

 

For the next few days, Sori and Jinyoung didn’t say a word to each other. Neither of them texted or even tried to call one another. Jinyoung had tried to get a hold of Sori right after their fight, but since she never picked up he decided to just wait for her. The wait was taking longer than expected.

Sori wanted to resolve everything, she really did, but she just didn’t know how. She was still a bit bothered by what happened. Whenever she thought about it, she became extremely annoyed. She then remembered what Dongin told her. “Misunderstandings like this are expected…what defines our relationships are how we deal with them.”

 “Maybe Jinyoung’s words just came out the wrong way…maybe he wasn’t doubting me…maybe he just wanted me to clarify things for him…” Sori thought.

It was the first time she tried to defend someone who hurt her. She kept telling herself that it just seemed worse in her mind than it actually was.

 

Suddenly, Sori’s phone began to ring. “It’s the hospital…why are they calling me?” Sori worried as she nervously answered the phone.

“Hello”

“Hello, is this Kim Sori?” a nurse asked urgently.

“Yes, it’s me.”

 “I have it written here that you are Oh Dongin’s secondary guardian. Is that right?”

“I guess so?” Sori never knew that Dongin put her down as his guardian.

“Oh Dongin has been very weak for the past few weeks. He just fainted and is now going to be taken in for surgery. His parents are on vacation so they can’t sign the permission papers” Sori’s heart sunk as the nurse explained to her what happened.

“I-I’ll b-be right there” Sori stuttered.

She immediately hung up the phone and ran outside of her apartment. She was too anxious to take the elevator, so she ran down the stairs.

She suddenly stopped and took a deep breath. She was feeling dizzy. “I can’t drive in this state” she thought. She made her way down the last round of stairs and called for a taxi instead.

 

When Sori arrived she spotted Nurse Jung and ran to her.

“Sori-ssi, you’re here!” Nurse Jung greeted.

“What happened with Dongin, will he be alright?” Sori asked impatiently.

“We don’t know… the surgeons will try their best for him. He’s been really weak for a few days now, you didn’t know?”

“No…he never told me.” Sori’s heart began to ache more. “Why didn’t he tell me…why?”

“Why don’t you take a seat and wait. I’ll go get you a glass of water” The nurse advised, taking her hand as they walked to the waiting room. “Nurse, don’t I have to sign the permission papers?” Sori asked.

“Someone else signed them. Dongin has two secondary guardians-"

“Eh? who signed them? Who’s the other secondary-“ Sori suddenly stopped walking once she saw who it was. He sat with his head tilted down towards his lap and his hands cupped around his face.

“Jinyoung?!”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please bear with lame chapter titles. i am running out of ideas.