Not as planned

Sori

“Sori? Sori?” her boss called, but there was no answer. Sori’s expression remained still and she continued to stare at who was in front of her.

“SORI!” he called in a louder voice, snapping her out of her thoughts.

“Huh- Ye- yeah?” Sori finally answered, quickly turning her head towards her boss.

“What’s wrong with you, you should introduce yourself, right?” he said in an impatient tone.

“Ugh! My smoothie” Sori groaned, shifting her gaze to the floor. “I’m so sorry, I’ll go get a mop and clean this up” Sori said picking up her drink. The lid luckily didn’t fall off, so there wasn’t much of a mess, but Sori felt like she needed to get some air.

“It’s fine, we can clean it up later-“

“No, no, no, how can I just leave it like this when we have special guests, I’ll be right back” Sori quickly pushed through the members and ran out the door.

“What the hell…what’s going on…” Sori thought, trying to catch her breath.  While she was walking to the janitor’s storage room, she ran into her closest friend at the company.

“Sori!” her friend called; as she waved happily Sori grabbed her hand and pulled her into an empty hallway.

“Aki, I have a problem! I need you to go to studio one and cover for me!”

“Huh? Why? I heard a Korean idol group is here today! Which one is it?? Are they cute?” she exclaimed in anticipation. “It would be funny if it was the group your boyfriend was in” she said giggling at the thought.

“Yeah well, you can start laughing because it is!” Sori alerted.

“What!?” Aki yelled in disbelief. “B1A4? They’re here?!”

“Lower your voice you idiot!” Sori said pushing her shoulder violently. “Oops, sorry” she said lowering her voice to a whisper. “but, wait….why are you acting so strange for? Shouldn’t you be happy? Excited? Did you forget to tell me something about them? Are they secretly undercover spies out to get you?” Aki questioned. Sori stared at her blankly, shaking her head in annoyance.  “Ok, that was a little far fetched, but stop avoiding the question.” Aki said aggressively.

Sori thought for a bit but she couldn’t come up with an answer. “Well?” Aki said impatiently. “You better come up with something or go to the studio now, the clock is ticking, do you want to get fired?”

“…Jinyoung, he didn’t even say anything to me. After the expression of shock left his face he looked…I don’t know how to explain it, but he didn’t look happy. All of the other members were smiling except for him, he looked like he was avoiding me…” Sori said sadly. “He looks colder than he did 3 years ago...so I got nervous and here I am.” Sori explained.

“What do you mean? He looked like he didn’t want to see you?” Aki asked confused.

“I guess? Can’t you just cover for me? Please?” Sori requested.

“And say what? Hey boss, Sori got eaten by one of the janitors and so I’m here to take her place?”

“Yeah, good excuse, bye!” Sori said, trying to escape. Aki quickly grabbed Sori’s arm and pulled her back infront of her. “Not so fast, you’re going to go back in there and face them like the brave woman you are, got it? Now go!” she said pushing Sori towards the studio.

“Aki, wait!” Sori called, but her grip was too strong. She opened up the studio door and pushed her inside “Seeya~” she sang, closing the door after Sori was inside.

 

Sori turned around awkwardly and found 6 eyes staring at her. She stood there, with no mop in her hand, and no excuse.

“Where’s the mop?” her boss asked, confused.

Sori panicked and blurted out the first thing that came to her mid “Uhm, they ran out of mops…”

“What?” her boss said, confused while the members tried holding in their laughter.

“Yeah…. Apparently the men’s bathroom on the 6th floor exploded or something, told you the plumbing here is horrid” Sori lied. I am so fired after today, Sori thought.

 

 “Anyways… this is Kim Sori, the girl I was telling you about. She’s been translating the new songs for your album from Japanese to Korean so that you can all get a better understanding of it… although she seems very unprofessional, she’s very talented” Sori’s boss explained in broken Korean.

“Are you sure? She seems kind of out of it to me…” Baro blurted out.

“This idiot is always at it with me” Sori accidently let out. “-“ yup, I’m definitely getting fired today.

“Kim Sori!” her boss yelled.

“Sir, you don’t understand... Baro…Baro is my brother’s close friend!” Sori suddenly made up. What the hell Kim Sori.

“Are you serious? I never knew you even had a brother?” her boss asked surprised, all the members were laughing at her. All of them except Jinyoung, whose face remained frozen the entire time.

“…Yeah, I’ve known him since forever” Sori said forcing a smile on her face. She proceeded to put her arm around Baro’s neck “Right, Baro?” she said pinching his shoulder. “Y-yeah, I’m so glad to see you noona~” he chimed. “You know Jinyoung well too, right noona?“ he said, making Sori’s heart sink.

“What’s he talking about Sori, do you also know Jinyoung?” her boss asked her.

Sori hesitated at the sudden question but she wanted her boss to know the truth “Well, actually we’re-“

“Hometown friends” Jinyoung suddenly interrupted. Sori turned her head to face him. She was shocked by his sudden lie. Why is he lying all of a sudden…

“Why didn’t you say so? Is that why you’re all acting so strange? Shouldn’t you be excited to see each other?” her boss asked, leading to an awkward silence.

Thankfully, someone walked in and broke the silence.

“Sensei!” Sori called out in relief.  It was one of the producers at the company. 

“Sori, you’re here, and so are all the B1A4 members” she said, smiling brightly.

“This is Namie, She’s the main producer for the album” Sori’s boss alerted the members. The members greeted her happily and Sori’s boss finally left, leaving Sori a little more at ease.

 

“Well, before we start recording tomorrow, I wanted you to see what lines you’ll be singing. Sori already Romanized and translated everything for you, so everything should be fine” Namie explained to the members. “Oh wait, can they even understand me? Sori translate what I said” She requested, nudging Sori.

Sori quickly translated what Namie had said and the members all nodded in understanding.

“Oh right, Sori, I need you to translate one more song!” Namie alerted.

“Huh? Another one?” Sori sighed. “Which one?”

“Here” Namie said handing her a sheet of paper.

“Starlight song...” Sori said looking up at Jinyoung, who also had his gaze on hers, leading to a moment of awkward silence. “Jinyoung said he wanted this to be on the album” Namie explained.

“Ahh…I see…” Sori said blankly. She was lost in her own thoughts, remembering how Jinyoung played the song for her right after she got her hearing back. Her thoughts resulted in her feeling a little suffocated. It just hit her, Jinyoung was sitting right in front of her 3 years later, and after such a long time this was how their first meeting was. She imagined it to be special in her head so she couldn’t wrap her head around the reality of it all.   

 

Shortly after, the members all left the studio to take a break.

“Why did they all seem so awkward? What did you do to them? They were fine when I greeted them earlier today.”

“Huh? I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Sori said, acting clueless. “Aki might have slipped something to me….” Namie giggled.

“What did that girl say?! She can’t keep anything to herself, I’m going to kill her!” Sori raged.

“She may have told me you dated the leader of the group…” Namie said. “No wonder why he kept staring at you, I thought he was some creep who didn’t know how to control himself. I mean it’s not like you’re pretty or anything-“ Namie joked.

“Hey! I am pretty, I don’t know what you’re going on about!” Sori said confidently.

“I’m sorry, princess Sori.” Namie said sarcastically.

“Thank god this day is over, I can’t wait to go home and relax” Sori said as she got up. “Uhh Sorry honey, but the day isn’t over for us yet.” Namie alerted.

Sori stopped packing her things and looked at Namie confused “What do you mean? Do I have to translate more songs? Sori sighed.

“Nope, we have to go see your boyfriend’s now.”

“My what? You mean B1A4? I only dated one of them, alright!” Sori said annoyed “But why do we have to go see them?” Sori questioned nervously.

“Apparently we’re having dinner together to celebrate their album release or something? You know how angry the boss get’s when someone doesn’t show up.” Namie explained, Sori groaning at her reply.

“If your lazy self wasn’t so talented you probably would have been fired after your first week of training.” Namie shook her head.

“I just want to eat pizza in bed and take nap’s all day, is that so much to asked?” Sori joked.

“Sori, let’s go! The boss just called me to ask you where the hell you were!” Aki said as she barged into the room. “You’re going? Why? I swear if you embarrass me I’m going to kill you!” Sori threatened.

“Oh, don’t worry loser, I’m just going to hook up with the hottest member, which by the way isn’t your boyfriend. I have no time to embarrass you” Both Namie and Sori turned their heads towards each other and burst out into laughter “she’s at it again, always trying to hook up with band members. I swear you could form a whole band with your ex-boyfriends by now” Namie said worriedly.

“You gotta search the sea before you choose a fish, you know?” Aki defended.

“Might as well open up an aquarium instead, it’ll be much more fulfilling” Sori commented.

Right then, Aki’s phone began to ring. “, it’s the boss, we’re all fired by the end of today” Aki said as she ran out the door.

“Just wait until he finds out that the men’s bathroom on floor 6 isn’t flooded!”  Sori yelled as she hurried out the door behind her.

“I swear I’m the only normal one” Namie said as she calmly walked out of the room.

 

“Sori, Aki, what took you two so long? Are you even in the position to be a millisecond late?” Their boss yelled as they walked up to the van. The 5 members were in the car laughing at them.

“I told you not to embarrass me!” Sori mumbled to Aki, lightly pinching her arm. “It’s not my fault! You were too busy making fun of me!” Aki defended.

“What about Namie? Why isn’t she being scolded?” Aki whispered.

“I’m a queen, when you’re a queen you won’t be scolded either” Namie said from behind them. She let out a laugh at the sight of their annoyed faces. “With this logic we’ll be scolded our whole lives” Aki sighed.

“Get in the car!” Their boss yelled.

“Why are we all using the same car? I can drive the three of us to the restaurant, you didn’t need to wait for us” Sori said. 

“Sori, you get on my nerves one more time-”

“Okay, in the car we go!” Aki said, taking Sori’s arm and pushing her in the car. Namie proceeded to sit in the passenger seat while their boss sat in the drivers seat.

Sori and Aki awkwardly sat in the car, the members all sitting behind them.

“Hello” Aki greeted in Korean. “I’m Aki, Sori’s girlfriend” she continued. Sori giggled at her cute accent. “Why are you laughing at me!” she scolded back in Japanese, slapping her shoulder.  “Did you just call me your girlfriend?” Sori said continuing to laugh.

“huh? Oops.” Aki said embarrassed “Well, it’s not like I lied. I’m surely more of a boyfriend to you than the one apparently sitting in the back seat” Sori laughed at Aki’s commentary.

“But seriously, why is your “boyfriend” so rude, huh? Shouldn’t he say something? I’m going to throw my shoe at him!” Aki said feeling irritated.

“You know we can understand some Japanese right?” Baro alerted.

“” Sori cursed in Korean. She put her hands on her face in embarrassment.

“What did he say?” Aki asked shaking Sori’s arm. “He said he wants to marry you, okay!” Sori angrily answered.

“Tell him he’s not my type.” Aki joked.

Sori then turned around in frusteration “Ya, after this dinner, you’re all dead. Every single one of you! Don’t think I’ll go easy on any of you!” Sori said pointing at all of the members. “The fame must have gotten to their heads” Sori said, speaking back in Japanese. “It’s okay Sori, you always have Ryo. Time to open your heart to him” Aki comforted. Jinyoung lifted his head up at Aki’s sudden words. He could understand the gist of what they were saying, but he convinced himself that he heard it wrong.

Sori glared at her in annoyance “one more peep out of you and I’ll throw both of my shoes at you!”

 

Finally they arrived at the restaurant and proceeded to sit at the table the company had reserved for them. Sori purposely sat on the opposite side that the members were sitting on and dragged Aki with her. “Hey, I wanted to sit beside the tall one, he’s my type” Aki whispered. “Which of the two tall ones?” Sori joked.

“The one with long hair” Aki whispered. “Shinwoo? Uh no, he’s mine, find someone else” Sori said sticking her tongue out.

“What? How can-“

“What should I eat~” Sori sang, purposely interrupting her.

“You really , you know that Sori?” Aki joked.

 

After everyone had finished eating their main meal, the boss offered to buy everyone dessert. Sori desperately wanted to go home but her boss kept ordering more food.

“Where’s Ryo?” Aki asked Namie who was sitting across from her. “You mean Sori’s boyfriend? I don’t know” Namie replied. Jinyoung, who was sitting two seats away from Namie overheard their conversation. He felt frustrated since he could only understand parts of it.

“He’s not my boyfriend!” Sori defended. “Don’t make jokes like that in font of the boss!”

“Omo, here he is! Ryo!” Aki chimed as a tall boy with jet-black hair walked in.

“Where have you been? You’re a little late, don’t you think?” The boss asked, concerned.

“Sorry, I got a pile of work sent in last minute. But! I decided to make it up by bringing ice cream. Sori’s favorite.” He said as he put down a tub of chocolate mint ice cream on the table.

 As he put the tub down, he met eyes with Jinyoung who was shooting him a cold glare. “Ah, sorry, I didn’t introduce myself to the guests of honor, hello, I’m Ryo, a director from the company” He said as he bowed. The members greeted him back and they all sat down.

“Can you die of awkwardness?” Sori whispered to Aki.

“We’ll find out by the end of today.” Aki replied. “Your boyfriend looks like he’s about to kill Ryo though, do you think he over heard our conversation?” Aki asked worriedly.

“Huh? You think so? Jinyoung isn’t really the jealous type though… we’re alike in that way” Sori reasoned. “Well I think he might have become the jealous type over the 3 years you were apart because I feel the need to shield Ryo just from your boyfriends gaze. It could cut through him!” Aki said, making Sori laugh. “Why would he be jealous? Jinyoung is clearly not interested in me anymore” Sori said rolling her eyes.

“Yeah, what’s up with that?”

 

Suddenly, Jinyoung abruptly stood up and left the table without saying anything, which was considered extremely rude considering the setting they were in.

“What’s going on?” Namie said shocked. The members all stood up and bowed, apologizing for Jinyoung’s rude behavior.

“It’s okay, is he alright? Did something happen” Sori’s boss asked worriedly.

“What the hell” Sori said in Korean. She stood up and bowed “Excuse me for a second” Sori said before leaving the table.

“ is going down” Aki whispered to Ryo. “I thought something was up with him, he was giving me cold stares from the start.” Ryo mentioned.

“You idiot, it’s all your fault.” Aki said shaking her head.
“What? What did I do?”

“Nothing, just eat your ice cream before I throw it on your head” Aki said shoving a spoon of ice cream in Ryo’s mouth.

 

“Jinyoung, what the heck is wrong with you” Sori yelled once she ran outside of the restaurant. Jinyoung turned around to face her, but he was speechless. “Wow, who would have thought that these would be the first words I would say to you after all these years?” Sori said letting out a fake laugh.

Right when Jinyoung was about to reply, the rest of the members walked outside and approached the two cautiously.

Sori angrily turned her head towards them. “What’s up with you guys, huh? Why are you all acting so rude? And you!” Sori said pointing at Jinyoung “your hometown friend? Are you serious? Not only can you not say hello, but you also lie about our relationship? What the hell happened that’s making you act like this!?” Sori yelled.

“It’s not like you said hi either” Sandeul said in a low tone.

“Yeah, you’re right, I didn’t. But, that’s only because of how all of you were treating me as if I was some stranger” Sori defended.

“Jinyoung- Jinyoung asked us to not say anything to you” Gongchan suddenly admitted. The rest of the members looked down in avoidance.

“What?” Sori said in disbelief. “When you left to go get the mop… he told us to just act like we didn’t know you” Gongchan explained.

Sori was speechless, even though she knew Gongchan wouldn’t lie, she couldn’t believe that what he was saying was the truth. “Is this like an early April fools joke or something?” She asked, but got no response in return.

“Say something!” she said looking Jinyoung in the eyes.

“Yes… I told them that” He finally admitted.

“Leave, all of you, please.” she directed at the other members, they obeyed and all proceeded to go back into the restaurant.

 

 “Jinyoung, you want to explain to me why you’re acting this way? Why you haven’t answered any my calls? Why you’re treating me like ? This is the only chance I’m giving you.” Sori said, her temper was at a high and she couldn’t take it anymore.

“Why? Maybe because the moment I start a conversation with you it’ll be the end of us. You think I don’t know what’ll happen once we speak?” he finally said.

“Huh? What are you talking about?” Sori asked confused.

“I know you’re going to break up with me! You’re not coming back to Korea so the only thing you have left to do is break up with me and move on with your life. If I answered the phone I know exactly what the conversation would be like. You’ll probably be extra nice since you pity me and then say that we should just be friends” Jinyoung raged.

“So your solution was to just not speak to me and treat me like crap? Wow Jinyoung, you’ve really changed…this isn’t the Jinyoung I knew 3 years ago. Your eyes have changed, your words have changed, you feel like someone else to me” Sori said disappointed.

“What do you expect out of me? I haven’t seen you for 3 years, the thought that I waited 3 years for nothing…you can’t expect me to be the same” Jinyoung explained. “Ahh…so since I can’t match my life to suit yours you’ve decided to change into an ” Sori took a step closer to Jinyoung taking his hand and holding it out. She proceeded to roll up his sleeve and let out a puff of laughter. She looked up at Jinyoung coldly “Ha, the watch, you're not wearing it, figures.” Sori said, letting his hand go free.

Jinyoung was once again speechless; his face remained frozen and full of distress.

“Well, guess what Jinyoung? Your tactic didn’t work because this is it, we’re done” Sori said coldly. She immediately turned around and walked to the end of the street to call a taxi, Jinyoung quickly followed behind her.

“Sori, wait! Hear me out!” he called. He grabbed her hand and didn’t let her get out of his grip. While his grip was tight around her wrist, he felt something, making his heart drop. “You’re…you’re wearing it…” he said in a shaky voice.

“Jinyoung let go!” Sori yelled, her eyes beginning to water. “No, I’m not letting you go, take back what you said!” he pleaded.

Sori stared at his helpless expression. “Let go, Jinyoung.” She repeated seriously.

“Take it back!” he yelled again.

Sori proceeded to take her other hand that was free and punched Jinyoung in the stomach, making him back off. He held his stomach in pain and tried to process what was going on. “Did you really just hit me?” he asked, shocked.

“Take it back? Instead, let me give you back something” She said as she took off her watch. “Stop” he yelled once he saw what she was doing.

“Take this back, will you?” Sori said forcefully putting the watch back in his hand.

“Stop doing this!” he yelled. He tried to put the watch back on her wrist but she flicked her arm away, making the watch fall to the ground.

Jinyoung quickly got down to pick it up. “The glass… it’s smashed” he said frustrated.

"like our relationship" Sori replied coldly. “You can’t just go around grabbing people as you please, we aren’t even in any type of relationship anymore” She spat.

She quickly signaled a taxi to stop and got into the car. Jinyoung stared at her as she left, tears filling his eyes.

Is it really going to end like this?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This chapter is soo long, i'm so sorry. I've been edditing it for the past week because it was such a mess and it somehow ended up 11 pages. Hope it's enjoyable though!