A small gift

Sori

 

what do boys like?  Sori pondered. She was rather inexperienced with these kinds of things. She’s had a boyfriend once, but it ended quickly due to her “proud” personality. She was known as “that raging feminist” through her high school years and she became disgusted, not only with boys, but with people.

 Whenever she would stand up for herself, she would be taken as a joke. “Look at that girl talk, she has everything in the world and now she even has the nerve to complain about how people treat her?” “Why doesn’t she just throw away her passion for equality and live her life quietly?" “she’s just showing off her wealth” are a few of the things people would say about her.

Sori grew to stop caring about boys because she realized that most guys don’t like it when a girl knows how to stand up for herself, especially when it’s against him. It wasn't that she didn't want a boyfriend, because she knew she did want to fall in love, she just lost hope that she would find someone she likes.

Sori eventually decided to go for the most common gift. “Thank you” Sori chimed while putting a box of chocolate in a decorated paper bag. Everyone likes chocolate.

 

 

 

“Jinyoung-ah where did you go earlier today? You just left without saying anything” Baro asked while playing a game on his tablet. “What would he do in a hospital? you went to the bathroom, right?” Sandeul questioned.

“Not necessarily. I actually visited that girl we saw yesterday, to see if she was ok” Jinyoung said leisurely.

“Oooh I think seeing girls secretly is against our company’s rules, Jung Jinyoung!” Sandeul joked.

“It wasn’t like that. I just feel like we didn’t do a really good job yesterday in making her feel better, so I felt I should go visit her” Jinyoung explained. “You should have brought me with you then. She likes me the most, after all.” Shinwoo boasted.

Jinyong laughed, “Don't be too sure about that. There was also someone strange that came to visit her while I was there… like some over protective boyfriend or something… he seemed violent so I threw my tea on him. I think I might have scared her” Jinyoung said worriedly.

“You threw tea on her boyfriend!?” Baro said while laughing hysterically.

“I don’t think he was her boyfriend though…. It was really strange.” “No need to nose into her life. Why are you so concerned anyways?” As Sandeul was waiting for an answer, a knock on the door was heard.

“It can’t be the nurse right? At this late hour?” Baro asked.

 Shinwoo got up to open the door.

“Sori-ssi?” Shinwoo said, shocked and looking back at the other members who also had the same surprised faces.

“H-hello” Sori said bowing nervously, “I didn’t want to interrupt but I bought a thank you gift and just wanted to drop it by since I don’t know how long you’ll be staying here for” Sori explained.

“You didn’t have to” Shinwoo thanked, taking the gift.

“it’s the least I can do. Well, I’ll leave now. Goodnight” Sori bowed and left the room. But Jinyoung felt uneasy just letting her leave so he decided to get up.

“I’ll be right back” he said following after Sori. The other members looked at each other with the same suspicious expression "he's...he's losing it, right?" Baro asked, "I think so... since when did he carelessly follow girl's around?" Sandeul added worriedly, "let's not jump to any conclusions, he probably just feels bad for her... since she's our fan and all" Shinwoo reasoned. "Hmm... i don't know. You're always wrong about these kinds of things Shinwoo" Baro commented with a short laugh.

 

“Sori!” he called out. Sori turned around to see Jinyoung standing down the hall. Did I drop something? she thought while putting her hands into her pockets. everything seems to be here.

“I’m sorry if I troubled you today…” he said as he walked towards her, worried she was angry.

 “troubled?” Sori looked confused. “Tea…” he simply mentioned. Sori let out a little giggle “oh that! No need to apologize for that. You helped me out, I’m really thankful, really. You looked cool” She complemented, letting out a shy laugh. 

“Who was that? If I may ask...” Jinyoung said, scratching the back of his head, unsure if it was his place to be asking her such a question. He wondered why he was so curious about his identity in the first place.

Sori shot Jinyoung a reassured smile “A stalker" she replied, gaining a shocked reaction from Jinyoung. "I’m trying to get a restraining order against him but my parents seem to have liked this stalker and now he thinks I’m his girlfriend. I tried convincing him to go see a therapist but he doesn’t listen” Sori jokingly explained. “Ahh I see, that must be really difficult for you” he sympathized. “you must know how that feels with sasaeng fans and such” Sori added. Jinyoung let out a laugh “He seems like your sasaeng fan. It’s hard getting rid of them” he commented, Sori silently nodded in agreement.

As they stood there silently for a ffew awkward moments, an idea suddenly popped into Jinyoung's head, “hey…umm, do you want to go with me somewhere?” Jinyoung cautiously asked. “What do you mean? Are you scared to roam the hospital at night?” Sori asked, confused.

 Jinyoung let out a small laugh, “no, that not it....are you allowed to leave the hospital?” He asked. “Yes I am…but I have to be careful. If there’s any loud noise it could damage my hearing even more” she explained, Still looking confused as to what Jinyoung was suggesting.

“The car is in the basement. Since it’s late I think it will be safe...noise wise. Come with me?” he finally requested. Sori was a little taken back by Jinyoung's sudden offer, she didn't really understand what was going on but for some reason she didn't really care, nor was she scared of him since she felt an unusual sense of trust with him after what he did for her today. I have nothing to lose. I’ll be losing my hearing soon anyways, might as well go out and hear earthly sounds before it’s too late. “Alright, but where to?” she asked curiously. “you’ll see” he smiled.

 

A member of an idol group is taking me out! Am I dreaming? Sori thought with a smile on her face as she followed Jinyoung to the car. There must be a catch. What if he’s secretly a creep… “don’t misunderstand” Jinyoung said abruptly. Can he read minds or something like that guy in that drama? Sori suddenly thought, giving him a suspicious look, but she just shrugged and got into the car.

 

The car ride was mostly silent except for the radio playing very lightly in the background.

“Where are we?” Sori asked as they pulled up to a building. “Is this your entertainment company?” Sori put in her earplugs just incase any loud noise passed by as they got out of the car. “Yes, follow me” he replied.

Jinyoung was worried that something damaging would happen to her ears so he began to get over protective and put both of his hands on each side of her head and leaded her to the entrance. Sori was shocked by his sudden skin-ship and her heart sunk a little “You don’t have to worry, I’m fine” Sori said. “This way I’ll be at ease too” he replied.

 

“It’s nothing too amazing but I thought you would want to come here.” Jinyoung lead Sori to a recording studio. Sori’s eyes were filled with excitement and awe just at being in an actual recording studio. “Wow, this is so cool! This is where you guys recorded all of your songs too, right?! It must be a really comfortable place for you guys by now” Sori commented, continuing to look around the room, inspecting every last bit of it. “You know how to work all this stuff, right?” Sori asked, already knowing the answer.

“Yeah I do, do you?” he asked. “Yeah, I graduated university a year ago but I don’t have much experience working in one.” Jinyoung looked surprised at her reply “You’ve already graduated?” “Yeah, I’m 23. I’m older than you" Sori revealed, taking a glimpse at Jinyoung's reaction. She let out a small giggle "You look shocked. What? A girl in her 20’s can’t like B1A4?” she laughed. “No, it’s not that. I just thought I was older than you” he said, enlightened.

“Why don’t you go inside the recording booth? I’ll record one of your songs for you” He offered. “Eh!? me? But I’m not even ready and I don’t have much exp-“ before Sori could finish her sentence, Jinyoung shoved her into the booth and closed the door.

“There’s a guitar over there” he pointed.

“I don’t like being put on the spot. I’m sorry but.. it’s kind of awkward singing in front of you like this...” She scratched the back of her head nervously. “Just sing the song you sang to us earlier. You have nothing to lose, right?” He said with a warm smile.

 With that, Sori picked up a guitar and got ready to sing. “Anytime you’re ready” Jinyoung signaled.

Sori closed her eyes to get into the mood of the song and begun to sing.

 

“'Cause you can't jump the track, we're like cars on a cable

And life's like an hourglass, glued to the table

 No one can find the rewind button, girl.

So cradle your head in your hands

 And breathe... just breathe, Oh breathe, just breathe~

…There's a light at each end of this tunnel,

You shout 'cause you're just as far in as you'll ever be out

 And these mistakes you've made, you'll just make them again

If you'd only try turning around.”

 

Jinyoung’s eyes were glued to Sori’s face and his ears intently listening to her song. He felt moved by it but also his heart felt heavy. She has so much passion for music, the chance of it being taken away from her….worries me for some reason. I want to protect it….her…but how? Why am I feeling like this? Just let it go, Jung Jinyoung.