#8

My #1 Boyfriend

“What are you doing here?” she asked.

Jiro scratched his head, “I need you to go somewhere with me.”

She gave a deep questioning frown, “I told you I don’t owe you anything anymore. I don’t want to talk to you.”

“Selina! Who is it?” a voice called from inside.

“So that’s her name! I can stop calling her classmate then,” Jiro thought.

“Just wait a minute,” Selina yelled back to Xi then turned back to Jiro, “what is it?”

“You still owe me,” Jiro said, “you only paid me back for taking the blame and saving you. You still owe me for helping you that night.” He was glad he'd come up with that excuse to save himself.

She gave him an unbelievable look as if he was requesting the dumbest thing on earth.

“Look it was you who decided to help me, I didn’t ask for it. I don’t want anything to do with you especially with owing you or not owing you,” Selina told straight out. Jiro could tell she was close to ending the conversation.

“Hey that man would have done you if I didn’t hear something going on,” Jiro told, “coming or not?”

“Just wait,” she said after a minute and disappeared.

He could hear some conversation going on and then a few moments later the door opened and Selina walked out dressed in something warm.

“Where are we going?” Selina questioned.

“Just follow me,” Jiro told turning around.

As she followed him she felt like she was repeating what had happened last week when she'd followed staring at his back non stop. After walking a few blocks he finally stopped and entered a shop full of flowers.

“What would he be doing in a flower shop?” she wondered.

He looked around and pointed to a bunch of flowers talking to the lady in the store then turned to Selina.

“Hey, what kind of flowers do you like?” he asked.

Selina stared at him and decided not to ask why. She glanced around a little and pointed to a bunch of Yarrows and Violets. Again Jiro returned to talk to the lady then recieved two different bouquets, paid her and they left the store. Selina stared at the flowers along the way wondering where they were actually going.

“What are you doing with the flowers?” she questioned.

“You’ll find out soon,” he replied as he hailed for a cab.

Everything was silent as they made their way to a graveyard. The grass was very green and white-gray stones filled the area marking their path. Selina would have been freaked out if it wasn’t so sunny and bright outside. The wind blew calming against them as Selina followed Jiro to the far side of the cemetery. There they stopped in front of a white cross and large piece of marble stone laying in front of them. After a long pause Jiro finally set the flowers down.

“Mom,” he said.

This surprised Selina as she finally realized that he’d lost his mother as she’d lost her father. She stared from behind and listened to him talk to his mother as if she were still alive.

“Without you around the house has really become cold,” Jiro began, “I don’t know if I can keep my promise to you anymore. Dad gets me so mad. I’m trying my best to deal with it, but it’s hard. Every time my birthday passes by I really want to eat your meals.” His voice shook. “I want you to hear me call you Mom. I want to hear you say everything will be ok. Mom, I miss you.”

Selina watched as he shook guessing that he must be crying. She, herself, was pretty much surprised that he’d bring her to a graveyard. Not just a graveyard but his mother’s grave.

“He must be so lonely,” she thought to herself.

She stepped forward to see how he was doing and to comfort him but as she did so he pulled her down by the sleeve. Taken by surprise Selina dropped down onto her knees as he pulled her to him leaning on her shoulder. Through her ears she could hear him sobbing continously. It brought back the little memory of when he had pulled her up from the waters and she had cried on him. She guessed she did owe him a little more than just a bowl of hot soup. She stayed stiff but set her hand on his shoulder.

It was a while later when he stopped crying. The wind had become even calmer as the two of them sat together in front of Mrs. Wang’s grave.

“My mom once said that if you take just one glance at the most beautiful thing in this world it would take away all your anger,” Jiro quietly said.

“Your mom liked flowers right?” asked Selina catching on.

“She loved them,” Jiro explained, “she grew a garden with a bunch of different flowers but my dad disliked it and ordered it to be destroyed. Now a big statue stands on it.”

She looked straight towards his mom’s name engraved on the stone, “Gina Wang. What a pretty name. Your mother must have been really nice.”

Jiro nodded silently, “Thank you for coming out here with me. I didn’t want to come here alone so I forced you to come.”

“Your dad…he never comes?” Selina asked.

Jiro smiled softly as he lowered his eyes toward the ground, “He hasn’t been here since the day she died.”

With that a huge expression of sadness and disappointment flashed on his face. Though he didn’t clearly express it Selina knew enough of that. Jiro dropped her off at her house and he returned home quietly going up to his room lying on his bed drifting off to sleep.

********************************