#35

My #1 Boyfriend

After a few shots alone and together the photographer stepped out from behind the camera and walked over to us.

“You two stand closer together, you stand in the front here,” he said moving me in front of Jiro. “This is more like it. This gives off the common couple feeling, but the look is unique.” He kept on talking and clicking his camera. Then he moved us around again for a few more rounds then we were done.

“When would you like the pictures done by?” questioned the photographer.

“Whenever is alright,” Jiro replied.

“Sign this and if you could leave your phone number too,” the photographer instructed.

I waited while Jiro signed some sheets and within five minutes he was done. After we left the picture studio Jiro and I walked around the stores for a bit then Jiro stopped and peered inside a children’s store. He led me in by the hand and we walked from shelf to shelf.

“What does Ethan like?” Jiro asked.

“What?” I asked not sure I was hearing right.

“Your son Ethan. What does he like,” Jiro repeated.

I thought for a moment. He actually remembered Ethan’s name. Well, I guess a father should remember his son’s name but Jiro doesn’t know he’s the father. I bit my lip again.

“He likes toys but he always bites them ruining the toys so I always have to buy new ones for him,” I said.

Jiro chuckled.

“What’s so funny?” I questioned.

Jiro shook his head, “I used to do that when I was little.”

“Really?” I commented then said to myself, “I guess he’ll turn out like his father.”

“What was that?” he asked.

“Nothing, I didn’t say anything,” I replied.

“Could I get something for him? I mean if that’s alright with you,” Jiro told.

“Sure, why not,” I answered.

Jiro walked around for a bit then grabbed something off the shelf. After he paid for it we left the store.

“It’s 4 I guess we should be going,” Jiro told.

I didn’t say anything along the way because I was feeling nervous and lost. I stared at the Wang mansion as we entered through the gates. This place…so many memories. Jiro parked his car somewhere amongst the other many cars and we got out. I stood where I was frozen to the ground. My worst moments took place here. Jiro locked his fingers into mine holding my hand. I looked at him and he smiled back assuring me that everything would be ok. It should be fine since Jiro was with me, right?

Jiro greeted many other people and introduced me and we got into small conversations here and there. That was how I spent my first hour there. Then we ate dinner and talked some more then there was a big announcement that really threw me off.

On the little stage that they had set up in the carpeted room a short pudgy man wearing glasses walked up on stage.

“Umm…everyone please quiet down,” he began, “today we have a small surprise for everyone. I think it’ll be big news to some of you but to the rest it should be a small surprise. Mr. Wang wants to thank his son for taking good care of the company in his absence but today the young master shouldn’t have to be taking on Mr. Wang’s duty no more. Before I go on I want to thank everyone for taking care of the company and helping it get back on track. Thank you.” There was applause and the man began again. “Everyone, Mr. Wang please come out.”

From somewhere Mr. Wang came out of a crowd of people with a proud smile on his face and I really froze right there. I didn’t blink and I didn’t even know if I was breathing or not. I just watched as everyone greeted him politely and as he started conversations with many others along the way. Only then did I notice he was in a wheelchair being pushed by his personal assistant.

Beside me Jiro sat up straight in his chair. Without even looking at him I knew he didn’t know anything about this. He must have been wide eyed. What was I going to do? If Mr. Wang sees me it’ll be the end. He’ll probably have me die of embarrassment here. From beside me I felt Jiro get up from his chair and walk over to his father and the two of them greeted each other happily. They were so polite in front of each other I wondered if their relationship had gotten better or if it was just all an act. A bunch of others crowded around father and son and I took my chance to escape.

I walked around a little bit but found myself lost. Hallways and more hallways but then of course I wouldn't know my way around when this was only my fifth or so time in the house. Too many people were around for me to make my way out. I didn’t realize that their mansion could be so huge. I walked around and found myself in the same place. I stood glued to the place where I was standing trying to think but someone tapped on my shoulder interrupting my thoughts. I spun around to find tall Calvin standing there.

“Hi, what are you doing here?” Calvin questioned with a big smile.

“Oh, you scared me,” I told him glad that I recognized him.

“Did I? Sorry,” he apologized, “by the way what are you walking around for? Shouldn’t you be standing with Jiro up there?”

I turned to see everyone crowded around a smiling Jiro and his father. His father was probably introducing other girls to him. I bit my lip feeling jealousy and turned to Calvin.

I shook my head, “No, it’s ok. I’m going to leave soon anyway.”

“You’re going to leave? But why? The party hasn’t really started anyway,” Calvin told. “Here, I’ll go with you.”

Calvin took me by the arm and we started toward Jiro and his father. I began to feel nauseous and stopped.

“I can’t go over there,” I quickly said.

Calvin looked at me confused, “Why not? It’s just Jiro and his father.”

I shook my head again, “I…lets just stay here. I don’t want to be around a lot of people.”

“Oh ok, then lets get something to drink,” Calvin suggested.

I followed him taking breaths of relief.