#17

My #1 Boyfriend

When I got back with the bowl of soup I found Jiro drawing on a piece of napkin at a table. I walked to his table and set the bowl down in front of him.

“Here you go,” I said then walked away.

“Wait! Miss!” he shouted. “It seems there isn’t enough salt in my soup!”

I turned around and he smiled like a kid as usual his stinky humor was at it again. He tapped on the table indicating for me to sit down. I walked over and took a seat.

“Yes little boy? Is there not enough salt in your soup?” I asked.

“Yes,” he answered, “it tastes so bad get me another bowl please.”

“This kid…” I muttered then glanced at the napkin.

He’d drawn a picture of two stick people. The girl had a big cone shaped hat on her head that read: Miss Clown and there was a big bubble coming out of the boy’s mouth: I’ll save you! I looked up at Jiro.

“What’s this?” I questioned.

“Oh that?” he said then laughed. “I was just doing it for fun.”

“For fun?” I repeated. “Are you making fun of me?”

He moved back in his chair with a face, “Why would I do that?”

“Why wouldn’t you?” I asked then grabbed his hand taking a pen out of my apron. I wrote on his hand and after I finished he pulled his arm back.

“Big Baby,” Jiro read. “What’s this?!”

“Well you are one,” I said.

“I am not,” Jiro retorted. “You are cause you can’t walk by yourself in the dark!”

“I have better reasons then you do,” I argued back.

He made a face and grabbed my arm scribbling something on it. After he finished I pulled my arm back.

“Stick figure,” I read, “why you!” I grabbed his arm and wrote on it again.

“Big idiot,” he read. He grabbed my arm to scribble again.

“My y girlfriend,” I read. I grabbed his arm to write on it.

“#1 Boyfriend,” he read and smiled, “this is more like it you obedient girl.”

I grabbed his arm and wrote on it again.

“Not! You’re #1 Clown,” he read. “In which way do I look like a clown. Your jokes aren’t even funny.”

“It’s not like yours are either,” I said.

He grabbed my arm and wrote on it again.

“#2 Clown,” I read off.

“Second the worst,” he said.

I laughed, “It’s first the worst.”

“How is it? It doesn’t sound right,” he said then he began to say it over to himself. “Ok so what?”

“You’re so dumb,” I laughed then grabbed a spoon and scooped up some of the soup. “A baby needs food before he goes to sleep.”

He happily took a mouthful and then another and then another until I purposely pushed it into his lips spilling the soup down his chin.

“What are you doing? I’m dirty now,” he said beginning to laugh as he coughed. I watched him and laughed with him.

“Stop flirting and go make out somewhere else,” Boss Lady Han said walking over fanning herself as if it was really hot and obviously it wasn’t.

“Sorry,” I began.

“You’re off work, go hang out somewhere else,” Boss Lady Han said.

“Are you sure?” I said ready to laugh again.

“Hurry and get out,” Boss Lady Han told.

Before I could protest Jiro grabbed my hand and pulled me out shouting, “Thank you!”

“How jealous I am,” Boss Lady Han mumbled to herself.

“Wait, wait, wait, wait!” I shouted as Jiro pulled me out. “Why are you in such a hurry?”

“Why? Something wrong?” he asked.

I stared at him pulling my hand away, “Thanks a lot I got off work early.”

“Oh, you’re welcome,” he said.

“No! I didn’t mean it that way,” I said, “I didn’t want to get off work early was what I meant.”

“Oh,” he said, “then you should say it with more expression in your voice. By saying it in that tone means you really wanted to get off work.”

“You don’t know anything,” I retorted.

“No really,” he said throwing expressions into his voice, “it’s gotta be like this or other people will misinterpret you then you can’t blame them.

“Fine,” I said loudly.

“Your voice is too plain. You should work on it a little,” he said, “ok?”

“Still making fun of me,” I muttered. “I’m gonna go.”

“Where you going?” he questioned.

“To look for my mom,” I replied.

“I’ll go with you,” he offered.

“I can walk alone in daylight,” I told.

“Lets go,” he said ignoring me. He threw his arm around my neck and pulled me along.

Maybe it’s only been a day since we’ve been going out but I don’t want to stay like how I was. I want to try opening up to him. Just being myself maybe throwing a few dumb jokes around here and then maybe that way I can keep up with this relationship. I can see he’s trying his hardest to make me happy and he’s been successful so far. When he’s gone for a minute I’ll start wondering what he’s up to. Maybe this way I can really start to grow more feelings for him. I really want to try liking this idiot that I keep bumping into. I don’t know what strings God is pulling but I hope I won’t lose too much tears during this period as I start to heal up from Fluke and get closer to Jiro.

I glanced up to look at Jiro who was concentrated on what was ahead of us. Being near him like this…I was starting to get acquainted to it so I didn’t feel awkward anymore. I could still recall the first times being close to him I felt uncomfortable and wanted to tense up. I took a sigh as we turned the corner and headed up the street turning left. We were just in time because Mom was grilling fish and she was getting more customers.

“Mom!” I shouted as Jiro ran pulling me with him.

Mom turned surprised, “Aren’t you supposed to be at work?”

I turned and looked up at Jiro making a face, “I got off early today to help you.”

Mom frowned not taking in my story then she glanced at Jiro’s arm around me.

“A friend mom,” I said trying to slide out from Jiro’s arm, “you’ve met before.”

“Hi, I’m Jiro,” Jiro introduced himself.

I knocked my elbow into him and removed his arm from me.

“Yes, I remember him,” mom said not sounding too excited.

“I’ll help you,” I said then turned to Jiro, “watch the fish. Don’t let it burn.”

We kept up with this work for another few hours before it started to get a little more windy. Before it got even darker we started to pack up and I grabbed the bucket of the leftover fishes. I turned to mom as Jiro picked up the little griller.

“Mom, you done yet?” I asked.

“Oh...yea,” mom told as she walked up taking her apron off and slipping her coat on. “Oh, Selina a friend came by earlier.”

“A friend?” I asked.

“Fluke came by asking for you,” mom replied.

That name was a bullet to the heart for me. The bucket of fishes slipped from my hand and I heard a thud on the ground before I looked up at Jiro, who was staring back at me. I quickly turned away and bent down to pick up the fishes again.