#30

My #1 Boyfriend

Jiro silently sat down on a chair in his room. He felt exhausted for some reason and just wanted to lay down and sleep forever. He’d waited long to just come back and find her. He had no idea that Wonderful World would belong to Selina. Then Jiro finally remembered she used to talk about owning her own restaurant.

“You finally got one…congrats,” he said happy for her.

Jiro closed his eyes. He wanted to just hold her, but he had no idea of what to do when he first saw her again. How hurt she was in the past, how she was now he had no idea. How should he act towards her so that he wouldn’t hurt her. What things could he do to get her back. What could he do for her to understand and know what she’d done since the past 5 years. He was willing to do anything to talk to her again.

*************************************

“Come on,” I said holding him by the hand as we got off the taxi. I walked him to the front of his school.

“Bye bye mommy,” Ethan said letting go of my hand. I watched him run off as Danson appeared at the door. He looked over and waved before he went back inside.

When I got back to the restaurant I found something that would had made me mad. Boxes and boxes of new cooking equipment, cooking utensils, table cloths, napkins, napkin holders, forks, spoons, plates, trays, and whatever else that goes in a restaurant. Piled up in the hallway and in every room you could find. I rushed through the confused crowds and the delivery people.

“Boss!” Lian, one of the managers I hired, shouted waved for me to go over to her.

“What’s going on?” I questioned. “Who sent all this?”

“Excuse me ma’am,” one of the delivery men said walking over with a clipboard.

“What?” I snapped in a rough tone.

“If you would please sign this,” he said handing me a pen almost hesitating before handing it to me.

“I didn’t order anything and I’m not going to pay for it,” I said.

“The pays already been taken care of,” he replied, “we still have other deliveries so could you sign this please?”

I stared at him and heaved a harsh sigh signing the paper and turned back to Lian.

“Thank you, have a nice day,” the man said then walked out with his group of men following.

“I seriously don’t know where these came from and I didn’t make any arrangements to buy these,” Lian said holding her hands up as if caught red handed.

I rubbed my forehead trying to think who would do such a thing. Danson wouldn’t, Xi and mom wouldn’t, no one I knew had enough money to buy all these boxes.

“Boss there’s an envelope,” someone said.

I grabbed the envelope and tore it open grabbing a short piece of paper out. It read: Take this as a small greeting gift. I hope you can put everything to use and enjoy it at the same time. –Jiro.

I bit my lips. I didn’t know why but for some reason I felt anger rise up in me. Did he think I didn’t have enough money to manage my own business? Did he think that he was so high he’d do it all for me? Did he think that all I had were dirty equipment at the restaurant? Just because he’s rich. I gave a small laugh.

“Money’s always been everything…” I muttered to myself and shouted to the rest, “find a place to put everything! Everything better be out of my sight before I come out of the office!”

*********************************

The door opened and Tai walked in with a clipboard and some papers.

“The order’s been taken care of and they should have received it by now sir,” Tai said as he set the paper and clipboard on Jiro’s desk, “but I’m wondering if it seems right to do this for them. I mean…we just made a small contract that’s all.”

Jiro smiled, “It’s not a small contract for me, if you’re wondering. I’m telling you no matter what we have to keep this restaurant up and by our side no matter what.”

Tai stared at Jiro questioningly but decided not to say anything and just nodded then walked out frowning. Jiro took a breath and sat back in his chair hoping that Selina would be glad to use these equipments. This would be the first thing he’d do for her.

***********************************

“I heard you’ve got a lot of stuff this morning. Every cabinet and every table seems pretty full of...everything,” Danson commented as he drove.

“Oh please,” I moaned rubbing my head in the passenger seat next to him, “where are we going again?”

We had just dropped Ethan off at Danson’s house. I’ve met his family a couple of times. His mother, his father, and his sister were always nice to me. Even though I was an unmarried woman they never really seemed to mind, but on the other hand they always loved having Ethan around.

“You’ll find out,” Danson said with that mischievous smile of his.

He never failed to surprise me so I guessed whatever one he had in mind tonight I would never be able to think of so I stayed quiet until the car stopped. We had stopped in front of a very large restaurant. I couldn’t think of any word except for fancy.

“C’mon,” Danson said getting out of the car.

I followed him out. We stopped by a lady at the front desk and she showed us to our seats. To my surprise we were seated in one of the VIP rooms away from everyone else. Danson was always going out to eat probably because he never had time to eat at home. To my surprise even a school teacher was as busy as a business person.

Danson helped me sit down and sat down on the chair to my left. We ordered our food and chatted a little until our food arrived then I started complaining about the restaurant.

“You sound like you know that person,” Danson said eating a mouthful of the food on his plate.

I just looked up at him wondering if something slipped out of my mouth without me knowing.

Danson gave off one of his smiles that made me most comfortable then said, “I have something to tell you, but would you consider it seriously if I said it?”

I raised an eyebrow as I looked up at him, “What is it? Let me know then I’ll think about it.”

“You make it sound like it’s old news like telling you I got a dog,” Danson said.

“You really did?” I asked.

“No,” Danson told.

“Then why say that?” I questioned.

“It was just an example,” he told.

“Well anyway go on,” I urged him.

“Can you tell me if you’re still waiting for Jiro?” he said.

The spoon I was holding literally dropped out of my hand. I looked at the fallen spoon on the ground then up to Danson. I expected my eyes to be wide with surprise. Was I supposed to tell him Jiro was back?

“Am I supposed to really consider this?” I questioned.

Next Danson gave off his unsure smile, “Never mind that then. I was just wondering don’t worry about it. That’s not the real question for tonight.”

“Oh…ok…” I said.

“Selina…I…” Danson said slowly. I had an uneasy feeling about the next statement. “I liked having you to myself these 5 years. I enjoyed watching Ethan grow up and helping you with the restaurant. I don’t know if you can forget Jiro yet, but I’m willing to wait.”

I looked at him unsurely. Maybe I was being stupid on purpose, I wasn’t sure.

“What?” I asked.

“I really like you,” he began, “will you marry me?”