#33

My #1 Boyfriend

When I awoke I found myself laying in bed. I sat up rubbing my head and knew a headache was coming on. I got out of bed to find someone already cooking. I poked my head out of my room to find Danson wearing an apron and holding a spatula.

“Good morning Miss Ren!” Danson shouted. “Aren’t you lucky today’s a Saturday?”

“Where did you sleep last night?” I questioned.

“I made myself comfortable,” Danson said gesturing his head toward the sofa.

On the sofa I could see a blanket and a pillow. So he’d slept on the sofa.

“You didn’t have to stay overnight,” I told.

Danson smiled turning around, “Breakfast is served.”

I looked around and asked, “Where’s Ethan?”

“I sent him to my sister’s. They wanted to take him somewhere today so it’s just you and me today,” Danson replied.

“It’s good as always,” I said chewing his food.

Danson leaned forward on the counter looking at me, “You never told me Jiro came back.”

He was lucky the spoon didn’t drop out of my hand. Good thing I still managed to be myself anyhow.

I dug the spoon into the rice silent for a moment, “He’s the one in charge of the contract.”

“Oh,” Danson said moving back a little, “I…forget my proposal then.”

“No I can’t forget it,” I told.

“Jiro’s already back you should really take this chance to heal the wound between the two of you,” Danson advised, “considering your situation is more serious than my proposal.”

He was just making me feel even more guilty. I didn’t know what to say because I also wanted to take the chance but on the other hand I just wanted to forget it all. Instead my body took its own action. I reached my hand out and grabbed his.

“I…I agree. Lets get married.” I replied.

Danson looked up at me in surprise.

“It was all decided last night,” I told. “I want to try liking you along the way. I mean unless you don’t think you’re a decent enough of a guy.”

“What?! No!” Danson said. “Sure lets go out then.”

“You don’t even know how to make decisions. Just because of one small thing you back out,” I said grabbing my spoon again. “Are you going to eat or not?”

After Danson and I finished our plates we went out to the amusement park where we first spent time together. We went on a roller coaster and Danson hadn’t changed one bit he still screamed like a girl. After eating some ice cream, cotton candy, and playing some games Danson received a call from his parents and had to return because of some company issues. Danson dropped me off back at the restaurant and before entering I peered through the window to see that Jiro was inside. I stared at him for a moment gathering every inch of his face until he turned to look at me. I quickly turned and began walking away but behind me I knew the door was opening and Jiro would chase me.

“Selina wait!” he called.

I wanted to ignore him but thought I would be getting married to someone else anyway so it would do no harm to talk to him. I turned around almost bumping into him.

I looked up at him wanting to get lost in his gaze, but forced myself to say, “What?”

Jiro stared back at me then said without looking away even once, “I…I want to take you somewhere. Can you go with me?”

Minutes later I found myself walking behind him down a very familiar alleyway. I stopped as Jiro stopped and looked up. This was Boss Lady Han’s restaurant the place where I used to work, the place where I spent everyday of work with Jiro. As I stared up at the sign old feelings rushed back and I wanted to cry. I followed Jiro in and we walked up to the counter.

“Hi, remember me?” Jiro asked.

Boss Lady Han looked up from her pad of paper and shrieked, “Oh my god! Handsome Jiro you’re back!”

Jiro was smiling very broadly and seemed like he was really enjoying himself. I envied it. I wanted to enjoy myself truly these days, but I just couldn’t.

“I kept my end of the bargain look who I brought,” Jiro said gesturing toward me.

“Selina! Oh my! Selina! It’s really Selina!” Boss Lady Han shouted as she ran out from behind the counter and threw her arms around me.

I began to smile once she hugged me. I patted her back hoping that it would be able to soothe me. It’s been a really long time since I’ve left this place.

“Whew! You were gone for so long! I heard you opened up a restaurant! But wait before we talk about business matters what would you like to eat? It’s on the house!” Boss Lady Han offered.

I remained silent and so did Jiro.

“Oh come on! What’s with this? I thought you two were married!” Boss Lady Han said. “I’ll get the usual. How about two bowls of soup?”

“That’ll be great thanks,” Jiro said.

The three of us sat at a table a while later. Me and Jiro sipping away at our soups. It was good as always the soup tasted the same as it did years ago and every time I ate it it tasted even better. If possible I still wanted everything to be the same as it was years ago but that was far beyond the impossible.

“Anyway your restaurant is stealing away all of my customers, how do you do it? Tell me so I can make some more money too,” Boss Lady Han smirked.

“It’s a secret,” I said.

“Oh come on!” Boss Lady Han whined.

“It’s not just the secrets,” Jiro interrupted, “it goes with skills and maybe looks.”

“What?! You’re saying I’m not pretty enough then?” Boss Lady Han asked blinking rapidly as she looked at Jiro. Jiro just laughed. “I’m just kidding. Of course your wife is always the best looking person. Selina is so lucky to have a handsome man like you. Geez I envy your relationship so much.”

I smiled a little and stared down at the napkins lying on the table. About two hours later Jiro and I finally left the restaurant. We walked silently together passing every place we had every been to together. I glanced through the alley to look at the place where Jiro had been beaten up by those drunk people. I could still see us there together.

“I…” Jiro spoke out. “I know you don’t want to see me anymore.”

I paused just staring at the ground.

“The company is holding a small celebration party for getting back on track and there are going to be plenty of people representing their own businesses,” Jiro started, “I’d like you to go. If you go this time I promise I won’t bother you again.”

I looked up at him hurt as if he was the one doing everything wrong.

“It’s just for one day. Go with me there,” Jiro promised.

I looked around for a bit then replied, “You mean it?”

Jiro seemed taken aback but then nodded after a second, “I promise. It’d be our last day together.”