#31

My #1 Boyfriend

If I had my spoon in my hand I swear it would have dropped to the ground again. Tonight…I was not expecting any of this. I did not expect Danson to these feelings toward me. But then why not? I was single. I was just a woman with a child, but why me? There could be dozens and dozens of single women out there Danson could like. Why choose me? What is special about me that he’d like?

“I…” I opened my mouth but couldn’t bring anything else out.

“I’m sorry,” Danson apologized.

I knew how he felt. He wasn’t those type of men to push women around and force them into stuff. He was more of the lenient and kind type. Danson was like Jiro in a way but then in a little way Danson was different. Danson didn’t get into fights, Danson always got along with his family, a perfect relationship I would say. Danson always made sure Ethan and I were happy and safe. Danson…was a real gentleman.

“I…give me a few days,” I replied. “I promise I’ll give you an answer in a few days time.”

“Alright a few days time then.” he repeated.

I smiled and nodded. For the rest of the time after that we talked about a lot of other stuff not counting marriage then he sent me home afterwards. I watched as he drove off then gave Ethan a bath and put him into bed. I turned Ethan’s lights off leaving the lamp in his room on and went to sit in my room throwing my purse onto a chair. It was time for me to think a little.

Danson…I knew I had never had those kind of feelings for him but it wouldn’t be too late to consider building them now. I just had to make sure that I didn’t love him because he’d done so much for me already. It wouldn’t be fair to him and it wouldn’t be fair to me. If I did something out of kindness something like that wouldn’t be labeled love. On the other hand it didn’t bother me that I wanted to try liking him but it was just that Jiro was back in town, Jiro was here now. I yearned for him. The truth was I wanted Jiro more. That was it. I didn’t continue to think about the situation after that.

I got up early the next day, woke up Ethan, we ate breakfast, and I sent him to school. I headed for the restaurant after that. I pulled open the door and as I walked in the first thing I noticed was the last thing I wanted to notice. There sitting was Jiro drinking a cup of coffee. In front of him sprawled out was a bunch of papers and folders. I stood there frozen until he glanced up and smiled that foolish looking smile of his. I quickly walked passed him and into the back.

“Hey boss!” Lian shouted. “Who’s that man?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” I quickly uttered.

“He said he was waiting for you. Are you two seeing each other?” questioned Lian.

“Don’t pay any attention to him,” I said.

“Why would you leave him alone like that? He’s so cute,” Lian whispered.

I turned to her glaring, “You’re here for work aren’t you?”

“Yes…sorry,” she apologized and walked away.

I went into my office closing the door and sat down. Just like that my mood had changed again. I went through a bunch of papers on my desk calculating this and that. I got bored after two hours or so and started to read the newspaper then checked the time again. About an hour and a half before Ethan got out of school. I leaned back in my chair trying to go to sleep but failed in doing so then I started to doodle on a bunch of napkins. As I doodled on something popped back into my mind. Jiro’s piece of art he’d drawn on that napkin when I still worked at Boss Lady Han’s place. I pulled the drawer to my side out and inside it lay only one thing: that napkin. It was pretty old I knew, but it was still in good shape.

“Five years,” I said moving my finger along the lines of the drawings.

I could still clearly remember that moment sitting at that table together as if it was just yesterday. I leaned my cheek into the palm of my hand and stared at the napkin just thinking of the memories that belonged to only Jiro and I. Every single second of those memories brought back each second of happiness to me. There was a knock on my door and I quickly pushed the napkin into my purse.

Lian opened the door saying, “Boss are you going to leave to pick Ethan up?”

“Oh yes, I forgot,” I said then grabbed my purse. “I’m not sure if I’ll be back.”

“We’ll take care of your restaurant!” the rest called out.

As I stepped out into the lobby I found that Jiro was still sitting at his table. Did he have no work or what?

“Selina!” he called before I could get out of sight. “Where are you going?”

“I…to a school,” I tripped over my words.

“Could I give you a ride?” questioned Jiro.

I just looked back at him. Like earlier my mood changed just like that. Now I was all hesitating and unsure. Before I knew it I was in his car and then we were in front of Ethan’s school. I glanced out the window realizing Danson would be here too.

“I…thanks. I’ll see you later.” I said quickly unbuckling myself.

“What are you doing at a kid’s school?” Jiro questioned.

I just smiled and quickly got out and behind me I heard Jiro turning the engine off and following me. I quickly turned around.

“You don’t have to come along. You must be pretty busy and all so you should go back.” I tried.

“It’s alright, lets go,” Jiro said dragging me to the entrance.

I bit my lips and pulled myself back coming to a stop. Jiro turned confused. I couldn’t just tell him that I had his child. Besides would he even remember?

“Mommy!” Ethan shouted as he ran out of the doors and grabbing my leg.

My heart started beating fast and I looked away as Jiro turned to look at me. I felt a small area of pain in my heart.

“Selina!” Danson waved slow jogging over.

“Uncle Dan gave me candy today!” Ethan exclaimed happily.

Still I had my face turned away from Jiro.

***********************************

Jiro was happy he saw her. Jiro was happy he could send her somewhere, but to a kid’s school? Why? He thought maybe they were going to do some fun games with all the little kids there until someone called Selina mommy. Selina was a mom. Jiro stared at her wanting to know even more. He was confused and just hoping that she didn’t get married to someone else. Hoping that person wasn’t the man running out to meet her. His heart pumped and his brain flew in circles. Was that why she wanted to avoid him in the first place?

“Selina…” Jiro muttered.

“Selina…” Danson said stepping up to her.

“Could you take Ethan for a bit? I have something to do,” Selina said turning to Danson, who nodded and took Ethan into his arms.

Jiro turned to look at the two. They looked just like father and son, which made Jiro want to cry even more.

***********************************