#20

My #1 Boyfriend

Jiro ran out of his class as it ended and ran all the way to Selina’s room. He stood by the wall panting happily as students one after another filed out. When Selina did not appear after the last person he glanced in the room hoping that she'd still be there, but he did not see her. Quickly running back out and he grabbed a random classmate’s arm.

“Excuse me did you see Selina?” Jiro quickly asked.

“I don’t know who she is,” the person answered.

Jiro quickly ran from one person to another until he found his answer.

“I think she skipped class because she wasn’t there, but I’m not sure, maybe she went home sick or something.”

“Skip class? Selina would never do that. School is most important to her,” Jiro thought to himself. “But…what if something is wrong?”

Jiro dashed pass the lonely tree and ran all the way to Selina’s house. However, he found that no one was home then he quickly went to the stall where Mrs. Renwas selling fishes.

“Did Selina come home?” questioned Jiro sounding as if he was really in a rush.

“Hi Jiro,” Selina’s mom  greeted, “I haven’t seen her all day. Isn’t she supposed to be at school?”

“She didn’t see her.” Jiro silently thought to himself then said, “Alright. Sorry to bother you, she must still be at school.”

*************************************

I didn’t know that as Jiro had ran pass that lonely tree the car I was in had passed him. It stopped by the entrance and I got out. Fresh air, free fresh air. I looked up at the steps realizing that I had missed the last class, but oh well. I can get the assignment tomorrow from a classmate. I turned and headed down the sidewalk son coming upon the area I lived in. It was the a poor neighborhood but at least it was able to withstand the sometimes stressful nights and it was filled with plenty of nice people who lived around here.  

“Mom! It looks like you sold a lot today!” I exclaimed walking over to her as I dropped my bag onto a chair.

“What are you doing here?” mom questioned.

“Why is something wrong?” I questioned.

Mom shook her head, “No, but Jiro came by earlier. He seemed a little panicked…I don’t know how to put it but he was looking for you.”

“Oh,” was all I said at the moment but inside I felt a bundle of mixed feelings.

“Tell me, you two aren’t just normal friends right?” questioned mom.

I looked at mom feeling embarrassed because she was asking me about my love life. Like I could tell her that.

“Mom,” I said.

“Ok,” mom told, “I don’t even need to ask. I can already see on your faces and here you are acting all shy. So…did you kiss yet?”

“Mom!” I shouted feeling my face turn red.

Mom laughed, “Alright. Off you go now.”

“You can sell alone today?” I questioned.

“Run off,” mom said as she turned to talk to a customer.

I smiled as I grabbed my bag and walked off. After I dropped my bag off at home I went walking around. I didn’t find him and we didn’t meet so I retreated back home when it began to get dark.

*****************************************

Jiro climbed up the stairs to the Wang mansion unwillingly. All was quiet and no maids were seen when he reached the top of the stairs when but a voice stopped him.

“Why are you so late?” his father questioned.

Jiro stopped and turned around slowly to see his father standing not too far away. Just seeing that it was his father he turned around and began to walk up.

“You were with that girl again, weren’t you?” questioned Mr. Wang.

Jiro halted and climbed down the stairs.

“What do you mean by that girl?” Jiro asked.

Mr. Wang gave a smile as if Jiro should already know what he was talking about.

“I’m warning you stay away from her,” Mr. Wang warned.

“You can’t tell me what to do,” Jiro retaliated.

“I can’t,” his father admitted coolly, “but I can force you to do what I want.”

“You’re not forcing me to do anything,” Jiro declared with a small glare.

“She was a very good actress today,” Mr. Wang added.

Jiro frowned at what his father just said, “Today?”

Mr. Wang nodded, “She came to me today because she wanted money, she wanted a plot of land. I was about to give it to her for free but she denied it in the end accusing me of giving it to her so she’d leave you. Don’t you find that ironic? I mean a girl who likes you so much and a girl whom you can dedicate your life to. Are you sure she’s not playing you?”

Jiro just stared at his father uncertain of his words. Jiro believed Selina wouldn’t do that, he knew her and she wasn’t that selfish.

“Liar,” Jiro accused. “You lie. Selina would never do that.”

Mr. Wang smiled, “Ask her when you see her.” Mr. Wang walked away leaving Jiro confused.

****************************************

That next morning Jiro seemed lost. When he spoke to me all he said were the usual things. Hi, how are you today, did you have a good night, and so on. Class ended and we separated and after school by that same tree I found him.

“Hey,” I said gently hitting him on the arm.

He turned to look at me with no reply.

“Is something wrong?” I questioned.

He nodded putting a smile on, “It’s nothing. So do you work today?”

Our day ended like that. He came to the restaurant until I finished work and he walked me home. That was it. I found it a little strange because it was easy to see that he wasn’t acting normal. He wasn’t as sensitive or talkative as any other day we'd been together. Did something happen to him?

*****************************************

Jiro came home a little earlier that day.

“Did you ask her?” Mr. Wang asked.

Jiro just stared at him then replied, “It’s none of your business. Please stay out of my life.”

****************************************