#21

My #1 Boyfriend

When I walked out of my classroom that same man stood outside the door waiting for me. I found him a little freaky, but he worked for Mr. Wang I supposed. It wouldn’t be strange for Mr. Wang to want to throw me off of Jiro.

“Miss Ren,” he called as he saw me, “if you would please follow me.”

I stared at him, “I have some things going on today.”

“This won’t take up that much time, I promise,” he tried.

I stared at him reluctant to go with him. I didn’t like him and he meant trouble every time, but even if I would refuse he’d drag me somehow. I didn’t want him to use my family as an excuse so I gave in.

The chauffeur stopped in front of the Wang mansion just as what I feared and expected. I gulped as I stepped into the house and into the room where I had first met Mr. Wang. The room felt cold and even looked cold. It was the first time I noticed that the house was so plain. This building known as a house was only furnished with expensive imported furnitures because I rarely saw any inviting pictures when I walked through the hallways. When I stepped into the room he turned around from the table to meet my eyes. He gave off a smile a smile in which I did not like.  

“Hello there Miss Ren,” Mr. Wang greeted.

“Hi,” I replied almost through gritted teeth.

“I’d like to apologize for the other day,” Mr. Wang told.

Him apologizing? There’s something wrong with this picture. Mr. Wang wasn’t that nice for all I could see.

“There’s nothing to apologize for,” I said.

“Well I think there’s plenty that I misunderstood,” Mr. Wang continued with his act.

He was getting suspicious.

“You said your family has enough money to pay off your bills. Even so by making all that money your mother has to tire herself by working at the stall in the cold everyday,” Mr. Wang started, “your sister goes to school and studies so hard everyday she doesn’t have time to help around. But you are always running around making sure their lives are perfect. What do you get? Wouldn’t you like to have some time to yourself?”

He confused me with his words. Talking about my mom and my sister..it sounded like he was complimenting us.

“I don’t mind.”

“You don’t mind?” Mr. Wang said. “But don’t you mind if Jiro’s grades fall by spending more and more time with you at that filthy old restaurant?”

I was suddenly shocked by what he said.

“That restaurant is not filthy,” I told with a cold voice.

Mr. Wang gave a short laugh, “Well, of course not. Whatever you do, wherever you live, or whatever nothing’s filthy when you’re around. But it seems like…Jiro gets filthy when he’s with you.”

“You can’t speak about your son like that,” I defended.

“Well, I guess you’re right, but after all he is my son,” Mr. Wang nodded. “You didn’t like that house you saw so would there be something else you’d like?”

“I already said that money isn’t everything,” I told.

“Ahh…money,” he said. “You want money.”

“I don’t get it, why don’t you just let your son do whatever he wants?” I questioned.

“Jiro’s not that smart,” Mr. Wang said, “so I have to plan his future for him. You’re not suitable to be involved in his future.”

“Does status really matter?” I asked.

“I’d rather have him marry rich and have a great reputation instead of marrying a tramp and wondering on the streets selling at a stall,” Mr. Wang explained without hesitation.

Anger shook me. I took this as a huge insult.

“So what if my mom works at a stall at least she’s able to make money everyday. She can dedicate her life to her children,” I retorted. “Please stop insulting my mom.”

“Here,” Mr. Wang turned around from the table with a white envelope. “I hope this is enough. It’s about enough for a lifetime, for a person of low level like you it should really be more than enough.”

“I don’t want it,” I told without even glancing at it.

“Are you sure? It may be able to help you and your family,” Mr. Wang said.

“I’m pretty sure. It’d go to charity if it were in my hands,” I replied.

“I’ll let you go if you repeat after me,” Mr. Wang said, “yesterday I met you because I wanted that land.”

I stared at him shocked. Why would he request such a thing? I found it a dumb idea.

“I’ll stop bothering you,” Mr. Wang assured. “And I’ll never speak about your family again.”  

As stupid as I was I repeated after him.  

**********************************************

As Jiro stepped out of school he glanced around. Selina was not in sight and she was no where to be seen. Where did she keep disappearing to?

“Excuse me, did you see Selina?” Jiro asked a familiar classmate as he walked by.

“I saw her go into a car,” the person replied before walking away.

“A car, why a car?” wondered Jiro then it hit him. His father.

Jiro raced up the steps of his mansion and as if it were all planned out he stopped when he heard Selina’s voice.

“I met you yesterday because I wanted that plot of land,” Selina's voice rang through his ears.

Jiro’s eyes widened in shock.

***********************************************

It happened all too fast I wasn’t sure if I could catch up. Someone had ran in and grabbed the money from Mr. Wang’s hand throwing them to the floor. I stood staring at that person’s back trying to get everything into my brain. His hair…I recognize it, Jiro. He said nothing but turned around and grabbed my wrist dragging me out.

When we had ran a few blocks away from the Wang mansion Jiro let go of my hand and turned to face me. His eyes looked serious. A serious kind if anger flared in them.

“Was that why you skipped your last class?” he questioned.

“What are you talking about?” I asked confused.

“How come you never told me you met with my dad,” he said sounding angry.

“You never asked and it seemed like something was bothering you so I didn’t say anything,” I retorted.

“You want money? You want it that badly? Is our relationship all about money?” Jiro questioned right into my face.

I stared back at him. What was going on? Why was he so mad all of a sudden? I didn’t get it.

“I never said that,” I said calmly.

“Well, you’re making it look like it!” he shouted.

“I never did anything. Why are you like this?” I questioned.

Jiro bit his lip, “I heard you.”

“What?”

“My father said you met with him because you wanted that piece of land,” Jiro told.

I stared at him. Did he even believe me at all? I thought there was trust between us. I never thought we’d have an argument.

I took a deep breath of the air rolling my eyes, “Do you trust your father more or me?”

Jiro bit his lip and turned away.

“Answer me! Who do you trust more?” I asked trying to keep calm.

“I don’t know, I don’t know!” was what came from him still turned away from me.

“Why are you yelling?” I questioned. “I promise you I didn’t do anything wrong.”

“You love Fluke,” he said quietly, so quietly that I almost couldn’t catch what he was saying.

“What did you say?” I questioned.

“I said you love Fluke. You’re playing with me is that it?” he asked his voice turning rough.

I felt a tint of pain in me and could feel tears gather at the back of my eyes. What was he saying? Did he really lack confidence in me?

“I…I am not like that,” I told trying my best to keep my voice straight, “I would never do such a thing to anyone when I know how it feels. I…” I turned away as tears flowed down then took a few deep, deep breaths before I turned back to face him. “If you think this over I hope you can clear your mind before it’s too late.”

I turned and walked away.