#14

My #1 Boyfriend

I got inside Calvin’s blue car and he drove around for a while because I didn’t tell him where to send me. It was 6 right now and the sun would go down soon. I gave a big sigh and finally heard someone calling my name.

“Selina?” Calvin asked.

“What is it?” I asked turning to him quickly.

“Where’d you like to go?” Calvin questioned.

I turned to the front window looking around then pointed to the corner of the street.

“Just drop me off there,” I told him.

He did as I had said and I got out thanking him through the open window.

“If you have time tomorrow could I come see you?” asked Calvin. “I want to go somewhere but I’m not sure where it is.”

I gave him a blank look and smiled, “Sure. Ok.”

“Thanks, bye,” he said. I waved and watched as he drove off then headed home silently.

**************************************

Anger filled Jiro as he roamed the streets. It wasn’t fair. How come everyone else was able to do what they wished and he was stuck to a controlled life? How come his father wanted him to do everything against his will? Why did he have to live with such a cold person? The most important thing going on in Jiro’s mind was to go see Selina.

He stopped in front of the restaurant where she worked and entered to find that she wasn’t there.

“Hi handsome,” said Boss Lady Han, “would you like a bowl soup?”

“Sure,” Jiro said then asked, “do you know where Selina is?”

Boss Lady Han threw her smile away, “She skipped work today. If you know where she is then tell her she’s in deep trouble.”

Jiro moved away from the counter and went to sit at a small clean squared table.

“Where is she? She isn’t somewhere crying her eyes out right?” Jiro thought to himself.

***************************************

I got up a little later than usual and left for school right after breakfast. I could see that Xi was giving me strange looks because I did not speak that whole morning. I arrived to class and sat down at my desk and when Jiro arrived I did not raise my head to look at him. It was not that I was mad at him I could just not look at him. Just as you can’t expect a person to stay the same over 2 years you can’t expect someone to stay the same for you in a month.

It was not that he’d changed it was I who’d changed. I was so deeply convinced that I loved Fluke and in the end when I got a broken heart I’d ran to Jiro. Wasn’t that using him? I’m the one who’d changed. I didn’t want to be like that. I should feel shameful for myself but why am I not doing so? Instead I’m just dreading some event that happened yesterday. Seeing him like that…it made me feel different. I just couldn’t explain it.

As class ended I left early. The rest of the day felt like forever but at last everyone was dismissed from class. I left the classroom a little slow and got outside a little late. I found that Jiro was standing under that same tree. I sighed and stepped down from the stairs about to reach him I heard someone call my name. I turned to see a blue car. With curiosity I turned to see that Jiro was watching also.

“You got time?” Calvin asked. “You said today was ok right?”

“Your boss said you skipped work yesterday. Don’t do it anymore,” Jiro quietly said then walked off toward the black car awaiting him.

I watched his black car drive off and walked over to Calvin’s car. When I got in he began to drive off.

“You two go to the same school?” asked Calvin. I didn’t reply and he started a different subject. “You know any small park around here?”

“A small park?” I asked.

He nodded, “I used to go there when I was little. I want to spend some time there before I leave.”

I finally turned to look at him, “Where are you going?”

“To the U.S.,” he replied, “I want to learn a little more before I take over father’s business. Actually when I think about it now I think I’m interested in that field. I think it’s interesting.”

“What is?” I asked.

“That when there’s something right in front of you you just never notice it until late,” Calvin began, “and when you do notice it you become afraid.”

I just stared at him. Where was he going? What was he trying to say? I didn’t get it. Did he know? But how? Did Jiro tell him?

Calvin gave that sweet smile again, “Gather up that courage, I believe you can do it.”

I looked away as the car came to a stop somewhere, “What are you talking about?”

“It clearly shows on your face,” Calvin said, “it clearly shows in his eyes that something’s distracting him.”

“It’s not his fault,” I began, “I was the one who ran to him. It’s not right, I feel like I’m using him.”

“Is it that though?” Calvin asked. “You’re thinking something else in your heart.”

“Why are you doing this?” I asked.

Calvin turned to face the front view, “I made the same mistake once. Actually I really liked her, but I was too much of a coward.”

“Who was she?” I asked.

“Her name’s Hebe Tian, but I don’t think you know her,” Calvin said. “I should send you now. Do you want me to drop you off at the same place?”

“Sure,” I said. I got out of his car later. “Thank you.”

“Take my words into consideration,” he told. I nodded and waved as he drove off.

Before heading home I headed to the restaurant. Boss Lady Han was in the back as usual with the others and they were all quite busy.

“Selina! Where were you yesterday?!” questioned Boss Lady Han.

“I’m sorry,” I apologized.

Boss Lady Han sighed and rubbed her forehead as if she was getting a headache, but actually she wasn’t. As nice as she always was she didn’t yell at me.

“Don’t do it again or there’ll be real consequences next time,” she cautioned.

I smiled at her and nodded. After staying to help for three hours or so I left. It was just as quiet at home because Xi was in her room study for exams and mom was taking a nap in her room. Though it was pretty early but mom must have been pretty tired having to deal with everything herself the past days. I’ve been slacking off too. 

“Sorry,” I told them from inside my head, “I promise I won’t do it again.”

I went into the kitchen to find some soup they’ve prepared for me. I ate alone that night in silence and went to sleep right afterwards.

Everything was the same the next few weeks that followed. Though Jiro was around I ignored him as usual. I couldn’t bring myself to speak to him or tell him anything so I just lived like how I did before I met him. I felt a little guilty when he was around, but what else was there I could do? I was weak and I was a coward.

“Mom I’ll go out to buy some milk,” I told one evening.

“Don’t be out long,” Mom warned.

I nodded and left. The streets were pretty filled with other people so I thought that if something were to happen it would be hours from now. Who knew it would be raining when I exited the store and that meant most of the people would be home by now. I grunted. Just my luck. I always have the worst luck. I dashed outside and started to run home.

“Sister! Sister!” someone shouted.

I turned around to see a little boy and stopped.

“Sister, my brother wants to see you,” he said. “Will you come with me?”

A little boy of 9 or 10 wouldn’t be harmful right? I nodded and he led me a few blocks pass the store and into a small alleyway by some stone stairs. The whole place seemed abandoned and totally empty.

“Just wait, my bro will be out soon,” he said then he went inside the house.

I watched and waited then the door opened and soon emerged someone whom I recognized. Months ago it was this person who’d attacked me at night. Deep silence surrounded me and I began to shake. I dropped the grocery bag feeling my heart flop and turned to make a run but he chased me and grabbed around the waist dragging me into the house. The little boy was sitting in his room with music blaring loudly. He wouldn’t hear a thing even if I screamed. I was dragged upstairs and thrown to the ground. The glass bottles of beer lying around the room and on the table clattered but I was unable to hear them because of the loud musuc. I tried to scream as he pulled me by the hair.

“Remember this?” he asked pointing to his jaw. “Yea, this. That friend of yours he gave me a fracture in the jaw. You know how much pain I was in?!”

I just gave a cry as he shook me hard and slapped me across the face. I could feel my teeth slit the side of my lips causing it to bleed. Why now? Why of all times. Why him? Why now?

“Tonight I’ll finish what I started,” he said and threw off his jacket.