#38

My #1 Boyfriend

I quickly turned to look at him. An argument was coming up I could feel it.

“You what?!” questioned Mr. Wang sounding angry.

“Well, you wanted to know didn’t you? We spent the night together,” Jiro said straightforwardly not looking away from his dad’s firing eyes.

Mr. Wang laughed playfully, “That’s great. You let her seduce you in my house. That’s just great and while a party was going on too.”

We all stayed silent for a moment then Mr. Wang turned his eyes onto me.

“You don’t you have anything to say for yourself?” he questioned.

“Dad,” Jiro began.

“I wasn’t speaking to you,” he snapped then turned back to me, “so?”

I gulped, “There’s nothing to say.”

Mr. Wang smiled again, “I heard you signed a contract with Sunrise Enterprise. I’d like to see how good your restaurant is. How about we set an appointment for me to visit?”

I was shocked. He wasn’t insulting me or yelling at me as I expected. Wasn’t he being a little too nice? This was weird I smelled something fishy.

“Whenever you have time,” I said stiffly.

“How about the day after tomorrow?” he asked.

“Alright,” I answered.

“You can leave now then,” he said.

I left the house confused.

“Why did you agree?” Jiro asked from behind. “You don’t know my father could be planning something against you.”

“I thought we wouldn’t meet again?” I asked.

“Well, this isn’t something you can ignore,” Jiro said.

“Could you leave me alone?” I asked walking down the hallway.

“What if I can’t,” he questioned.

I stopped and turned around, “Didn’t you promise you’d stop bothering me?”

“Do you really want me to?” he asked.

“You promised,” I repeated.

“You’re lying,” he said, “you still want me around. Deep inside I know you do.”

“I…” I began, “I’m getting married.”

He looked at me blankly then with his expression I knew he wished I was lying.

“I’m going to marry Danson,” I finished my sentence. We were silent for a long time. “So if you could stop coming into my life I’d appreciate it.”

With that I walked away leaving him behind. I was going to leave him behind with my past. I meant it.

I met with Danson’s parents that night and we talked everything about the wedding. We picked a place to hold it and chose the date. Everything about the wedding we talked about that night.

The next day I didn’t go to the restaurant instead I went to choose my wedding dress and Danson and his mom came along. After trying out many dresses we finally came across one that we all liked. That night at home I received a call from Lian at home. She told me that the photographer had called me about some photos I’d taken. Danson drove me over to the studio and I met with the photographer inside.

“Mr. Wang told me to give these to you,” the photographer said, “the pictures turned out really nice. I hope you two happiness and if you get married in the future come back to take your wedding pictures here.”

I smiled and thanked him and walked out with the envelope of photos. When I got in the car Danson drove me home.

“What are the pictures? You never told me about them,” Danson said stopping his car at the parking lot. “Could I see them?”

I held the pictures tightly in my hands, “I just took them for fun. They’re not really good.”

“Can I see them though?” Danson asked.

“Umm…maybe some other time,” I said and quickly said bye getting out of the car.

When I got into my bedroom I opened the package of pictures and looked through the pictures. How real our relationship seemed that time. The way we looked in the picture really made it look like there was really love between us, but now it wouldn’t exist no more. I wanted to cry. I knew Jiro must be hurt and it hurt me to know that.

The next day I opened the restaurant extra early and bossed my employees around. Today Mr. Wang would be coming and I had to have everything ready and just perfect. His judgment would be harsh I predicted so I had to be ready just in case. Even if I went overboard it was better than not doing anything. Danson had brought Ethan over after school and helped out a little. I watched as the two of them scrubbed tables and draped them with tablecloths. A happy family I hoped we would be.

“We ran out of tablecloths mommy!” Ethan exclaimed from the chair he was standing on.

I looked around and scratched the back of my head trying to think of something.

“We’ll go buy some, right Ethan?” Danson offered.

“Yea! Mommy we’ll go!” Ethan shouted.

“Are you sure?” I asked.

“We’ll be back before the old man arrives,” Danson assured me.

“Ok then just buy some cheap ones,” I told.

“That’s not good enough,” Danson told, “don’t worry I’m loaded with money.”

I laughed, “Ok, go then.”

“Bye,” Danson said. “Come on Ethan.”

“Bye mommy!” Ethan shouted as he went out with Danson through the door.

************************************

“Come on Ethan,” Danson said urging Ethan to quickly go over to him.

“I wanna walk! I wanna walk! So no carrying me,” Ethan told.

“Ok, hold my hand,” Danson said.

Ethan put his hand into Danson’s and the two of them walked carefully down the sidewalk. Across the street from them the lights turned green telling them that it was ok to cross the street. There was a toy store up ahead and Ethan let go of Danson’s hand suddenly running ahead without warning. Just as Ethan headed into the street a car was turning quickly around the corner. Danson glanced at the car then to Ethan his heart thumping with fear. He couldn’t let anything happen to Ethan, if anything happened to him he knew Selina’s heart would be broken.

“Ethan!” Danson shouted as he ran into the street.

*************************************