#5

My #1 Boyfriend

******************************************************

He began to stomp up the stairs into the huge mansion that belonged to his father. The floors were shining clean and made out of pure marble. Every inch of the house was of pure marble.

“Jiro! Jiro! Stop right there!” his father yelled as his body shook in frustration and anger.  

Jiro stopped in his tracks and turned around to face his father’s old face.

“What?” Jiro said as if his father was just another commoner on the streets.

“I go all the way to the police station to bail you out and all you say is what?” his father asked.

Jiro gave back an unlikely stare.

“If you were a bit more like your mother I could tolerate you but right now you’re acting like a crazy imbecile! I would kick you out if you weren’t my son! Do you know how hard I worked just because I worried about how you’d fend for yourself in the future?!” Mr. Wang exclaimed angrily.

“It’s more like being a prisoner than being like mom. She was your wife you never loved her you looked at her as if she were a slave,” Jiro said, “I would not even be here if it weren’t for mom. Because I promised her I’d stay with you. Everything I do is for her! All you worry about is your work. All you want is money. You don’t even treat me like your son so just kick me out! I’ve been waiting 5 years for you to tell me that!”

“Your mom? Did you just say your mom? You always talk about her. Do you think just talking about her will make me wilt like a flower?” Mr. Wang asked.

“I have more right to talk about her than you do,” Jiro suddenly told.

“You better not take a step out of the house! School starts the day after tomorrow. I don’t care what you say, you’re going no matter what!” Mr. Wang said holding back his temptation to hit his son.

Jiro glared at his dad, “I better see your face until then. Oh yea, I’ve taken the rest of mom’s accessories so you won’t be able to auction them for your company anymore.” Jiro then rushed up the stairs to his room leaving his dad flaring.

Jiro shut the door and locked it as soon as he got inside his room. He walked over to his bed and dropped down.

“This house is so cold. It’s like going to the depths of the sea,” Jiro thought. As the word sea came up into his mind something else also popped up. The girl. He replayed the moment when she had stepped out into the police lobby. The innocent guilty look on her face made him uncomfortable.

“To think I just took the blame without a fight. Boy Jiro something must be wrong with you,” he said to himself and laughed.

****************************************

I didn’t go anywhere the next day so I just sat around at home. While I was wiping the table my sister came in with a white bag and set them down before me. I paused and turned back to look at her.

“What’s this?” I questioned.

“A little present,” Xi told, “I was worried about you when you were missing.”

I smiled and looked inside the bag and found two shirts and two pants

“You know you worry a little too much about me and mom. We’re adults too and we can take care of ourselves. Next time save your cash for yourself,” Xi told and walked away.

I grabbed the shirt and glanced at them smiling. It’s been a long time since I’ve gotten something new for myself. University stars tomorrow. At 20 years old and a sophomore. With the money dad saved up for us before his death and mom’s hard earned money I was able to enter a small university. And now I’m saving up money to give Xi a chance to enter the university.

**************************************

Jiro came down the stairs to meet one of the maids downstairs. She was mopping the marble floor diligently and he wondered if the floor couldn't get any cleaner. He couldn’t believe his dad wanted the house to be mopped twice a day and look at how huge the house was. It’d take the entire day to do it.

“Where’s dad?” Jiro asked.

“Master has gone to the company to handle a negotiation,” the maid answered.

Jiro gave a small laugh as if not believing what he was hearing.

“Tell him if he wants me to go to school he better spend more time in the house,” Jiro said and headed for the door.

“Young Master where are you going?” the maid asked.

“I’ll be out,” Jiro said waving his hand in the air.

“But Master Wang has specifically told you not to go out,” the maid called after him. Still Jiro left without a word.

He strolled down the busy streets of Taipei with hands in pockets. Everyone had a destination. Everyone had somewhere where they wanted to go. The people around him looked so free. Students roaming the streets buying packs of cigarettes to smoke for fun, others heading home from school, and others going shopping. As a student Jiro was never allowed to mix in with the other students. His dad had always feared he would become someone simple and would go against the idea of taking over the company, but sadly Jiro had always been against that idea whether he mixed in with others or not.

The same smell arose into his nose as he turned the corner. He had been here just the other day. The day when he had to run from the loan sharks.  Although it caused a lot of trouble it felt good to have a little freedom even if it was for two days. His father had wanted him to marry someone else for the wealth of his business and Jiro was being forced to go to all these parties and these get together dinners. Tired of it he had snuck out one night and somehow took a million dollars from the loan sharks.

The thing he hated most was his dad. His dad was a real liar and player. He could still remember when he was young his father had brought a young mistress home sweet talking and flirting right in front of his mother. Although his mom seemed so calm about he knew her heart must have been burning deep inside.

“Fish! Anyone! Fresh fish for sell!” a voice called.

Fishes. He hadn’t had any fish for a long time now. His favorite food. Jiro had always loved it when his mother had cooked and stewed fish for him. It tasted so good he could have it every day, every week, every month, every time his birthday hopped by, but then one day his mother left and he could never have those good tasting fishes again. Something told him that maybe he could have something like that tonight.

Jiro headed towards the stand. There was a middle aged woman standing behind a table. Her hair tied back into a neat bun and her pink apron wrapped loosely around her. Behind her was a small griller and other ingredients for food. A bright smile appeared on his face as he saw a fried fish with seasoning on a tray.

“Hello,” the woman greeted. Her voice was soft and gentle just like how a soothing mother’s should be.

“Aunty may I have that please?” Jiro asked walking up to the table.    

The woman turned back to look at the fish and smiled, “Oh, I made that for my daughter would you like anything else?”

“Oh, then it’s alright. I’ll go now,” Jiro said then started to walk away.

Fishes never tasted the same if they were made by different hands. The maid back at the mansion couldn’t make anything like how his mother could. Only a mother who had a child would know how to prepare something that would meet her child’s taste. Mother, how he missed calling someone that.

“Young man! Young man!” shouted a voice.

Jiro stopped and turned his head slightly so he could see over his shoulder and to his surprise the woman who was selling the fishes was running toward him. A white bag in her hand.

“Finally you stopped,” she said panting before him. “Here you go. Take it.” She said putting the handle of the bag into his hand.

Jiro looked down at the bag then looked up at the woman, “What about your daughter?”

“She never liked fishes. I can make ginger soup for her again tonight,” the woman said. “Have a good meal.” She smiled and walked off.

Jiro stared down at the bag and smiled. “Thank you!” He shouted. That night he certainly did have a good dinner.

************************************