#13

My #1 Boyfriend

“Whether dead or alive it’s all the same,” Jiro assured, “would you rather stop crying or would you rather watch me beat that guy?”

I wiped my tears, “I stopped.”

Jiro threw a childish smile on and sat back on the chair he was in. I allowed myself to lay down and before I knew it I fell asleep.

I awoke hours later to find a blanket carefully pulled over me to make sure that I was warm. HOwever, Jiro was no where to be seen. I slowly sat up and rubbed my forehead and found there was a clock on my right. It’d be an hour before school starts so, I figured I'd better leave. I left the house quickly and rushed home knowing that Mom would be up for sure. I didn’t want to face her so I waited around back and listened to mom yell at Xi for not watching where I had gone. When the door shut I found it safe and hurried inside.

“Sis!” Xi called loudly. “Where were you all night?! Mom was causing a ruckus!”

I gave a small smile and escaped into my room quickly locking the door. Safe. I went over to my bed and sat down. I certainly felt better and it was all thanks to Jiro. Gosh everything is him right now. Am I depending too much on him right now? I dropped onto the bed and smiled to myself replaying the scene where I had thrown myself into him. He must have been surprised but that wasn’t the first time I’ve done that. I couldn’t stop smiling as I grew all happy inside. Then something popped up into my head. He had admitted it…he’d already admitted he liked me.

I left for school early in the morning and stood outside waiting for Jiro to arrive, but he never did. As the last students came by they urged me to go to class with them and not wanting to be late I left with them. Throughout the whole class session he did not appear. It was the first time I could not concentrate. My mind kept wandering off elsewhere. Was something wrong with him? Or was he mad that I’d ignored him for a month then suddenly just appeared? I needed to find out whether it was good or bad.

I skipped work that day. After I dropped my bag off at home I hurried off to his house. This time cars were parked everywhere. As I neared the opened gates I noticed a lot of people in formal wear. I stopped by the door and peeked in curiously. Long tables with white sheets covered the front yard with desserts, fruits, and other cuisines filled the table. Champagne glass cups covered a whole table. Violins, violas, and cellos were being played by people sitting in chairs. In broad daylight a party was going on. As I turned around hastily I bumped into someone and that person grumbled loudly.

“Stupid maid! Look what you did!” the woman scolded. I glanced at her shirt to see a large wet spot.

“I’m sorry!” I quickly apologized. “I didn’t mean it!”

“Well of course you didn’t,” she said softly then her voice got hoarse, “go into the kitchen get me a wet towel before I get you fired!”

“But…I’m not…” I began trying to explain but she wouldn’t hear it.

She yelled at me once more and I just turned around dashing in the house in order to get away from her as fast as possible. When I ran in I turned into a large hallway that didn’t seem to end for a long time. I was lost. I forgot I didn’t even know this house. I glanced around and started to walk on when a door opened.

“Where are you going?” a voice asked.

I turned to see a man standing there. He seemed handsome dressed in a nice black suit with his hair gently combed.

“I…the kitchen,” I told.

“Are you new here? I’ve never seen you before."

I quickly nodded, “Uh…yea.”

He gave me the softest smile next to Fluke’s, “I’ll show you.”

I found myself walking next to this man a second later. He was actually pretty nice and I found that I felt comfortable being next to him.

“Well the kitchen’s right there,” he pointed into the room. “I’m off. See you around.”

I nodded and thanked him then entered the kitchen. As I got sight of the kitchen my purpose for being there slipped my mind. The kitchen was so large and elegant. The walls were tiled in tan marble, the counters were so shiny and smooth. It looked like this room was cleaned 12 times a day. There was a large sink to my left, drawers and counters everywhere.

I walked around and suddenly remembered. Towel. I needed to get a towel before I would get in trouble. I began opening each drawer and looking in but only found utensils and other cooking equipment in there. There were too many drawers I wouldn't have enough time to look through every one of them. I stopped and thought to myself. Mom would usually put towels in the last drawer to the left. As I opened the drawer I found only tissues and tissues in there. Before I could close it again a wooden piece caught my eye. I reached in and grabbed out a picture. It was of a little boy being held by his mother. Her eyes were so soft and her face pale, her hair was short and curly, she was very beautiful.

“What are you doing?” a voice asked.

I turned around dropping the picture onto the ground. The sound of shattering glass rung in my ears. This was bad I shouldn’t be here. I gulped as the mean looking maid hurried toward me.

“What did you just do?!” she questioned angrily. “This is young master’s most treasured picture of Mistress Wang! What are you doing here?! Get out!”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to…” I began.

“Just shut up! Don’t you know how many people are out there?! Get out there and serve them!” she shouted.

I couldn’t go on any longer but turned around and went into the hallway feeling guilty. I was so stupid for coming here. I wanted to smack myself on the head and as stupid as I was for letting my thoughts drag me away from reality I’d be sorry for what happened next.

“You!” a voice shouted.

I turned around to see the woman from earlier stomping towards me. Now there was a blot of yellow on her white shirt. Uh-oh.

“Where’s the towel! Do you know what is happening to me right now?! This’ll never come off! This dress was so expensive!” she shouted at me. “Do you have the money to pay me?! You useless maid!” she tapped me on the shoulder with her wallet with so much force it felt like an orange was being thrown at me. I stood there with no clue of what to do, unsure of what action was best to take right at the moment then I was pulled away.

“Ma’am,” a voice said. It sounded familiar. I looked up to find myself standing behind this person. He…was from earlier. The one who showed me to the kitchen.

“Calvin!” the woman exclaimed happily. She seemed to favor this person.

“Hi,” he said calmly, “this here is my friend, she’s not a maid.”

The woman seemed surprised and moved her hand to her chest, “Oh? Really? I’m sorry then.”

“I can compensate for your shirt if you want,” Calvin offered.

“It’s quite alright. I have another dress in the car. I’ll see you around Calvin,” the woman said smiling sweetly to him then as she walked passed me she sent me a glare. I gulped.

I watched as she was out of sight then turned to Calvin, “Thank you. Sorry for dragging you in.”

“She’s always like that,” he responded, “so…what are you doing here? You don’t look like you should be here.”

I began to open my mouth but found myself not unable to reply so I stood there feeling like a loser. I was the biggest idiot on earth!

He smiled sweetly, “Lets go outside. I’ll get you a drink.”

I nodded and followed him out. I had completely forgotten that I was at Jiro’s house. As we went on a lot of people greeted him formally. He must be one of those rich people, but he didn’t seem so cold. He was a lot kinder than most of them.

“Here you go,” he said handing me a cup of lemonade.

“Thanks,” I answered.

“My name’s Calvin Chen by the way, what’s yours?” he asked.

“I’m Selina Ren,” I replied.

“Do you live around here?” he questioned.

I nodded, “I go to the small university over there.”

“You’re lucky. I would have liked to stay here for university, but my family sent me off to England to study,” he said. “I just got back so I don’t know this place so well. Would you mind showing me around when you have time?”

I looked at him. He had something in his eyes I couldn’t interpret. Was it loneliness? I nodded and smiled.

“So where do you live? Maybe I can send you back,” he offered.

I was about to answer him back but stopped when I heard, “Jiro!”

I turned to see that Mr. Wang was chasing after him and he looked angry. Jiro was walking far ahead of him and to my amazement he was wearing an expensive looking suit.

“I said stop!” shouted Mr. Wang. “You ignorant child! You said you wouldn’t go against my words. You’d accept my negotiations!”

“This negotiation is wrong! And I changed my mind, I won’t do it anymore!” Jiro said loudly.

“Since when was that?!” questioned Mr. Wang.

“Since last night,” Jiro told. Feeling that someone was watching him he turned around quickly. Not wanting him to see me I hid behind Calvin. I couldn’t see what was going on but I could hear silence. Not one of the guests were speaking.

“Fine, leave,” Mr. Wang said, “everyone return to what you were doing. My son just announced to cancel the engagement.” Mr. Wang returned to go inside the mansion and everyone started talking again.

“Another argument. They really have a perfect relationship,” Calvin complimented so quietly.

I came out from hiding behind him to see that Jiro was no where to be seen. Where’d he go?

“I…I want to go now,” I said.