#32

My #1 Boyfriend

We were quiet, all was silent. Jiro had driven us to a silent place...somewhere near the point at the park where plenty of people went jogging, however it was empty for some reason today. I could feel Jiro beside me on the bench even though we weren’t sitting anywhere at all close to each other.

“I…” Jiro began.

“His name’s Ethan,” I interrupted knowing where he was going to lead this conversation.

I knew he’d feel hurt. I knew he’d suspect I was married to Danson. It was pretty normal just like when you see a guy and a girl together you’d assume they were dating when they might actually be just friends or brother and sister or cousins.

“How old is he?” Jiro asked.

I figured it’d do no harm to tell him, “Five.”

“Could you tell me who the father is?” Jiro said his voice soft and quiet.

I was silent not sure how to respond. Being around Jiro just made me want to cry. How hurt he was and how hurt I was. To face the truth I was never able to forget the past.

“Danson?” Jiro said.

“What?” I asked.

“Is Danson the father?” Jiro repeated.

I stayed quiet then said, “No.”

Jiro finally turned to look at me, but I didn’t dare turn to look at him.

“I’m not going to tell you who the father is,” I told. “I don’t think it’s anyone’s business.”

“Selina,” Jiro said.

How come he was able to say my name so much and I wasn’t able to say his at all? I bit my lip and got up.

“It’s getting late,” I said and began to walk away but he grasped my wrist.

“Selina!” he said loudly. “How can you go on without a father for the child? You grew up without a father, you want your child to grow up without one too?”

Tears were coming I could feel them. I gulped and gathered some courage.

“I…he won’t go through that,” I said.

“Selina.” He repeated. “Selina!”

“What is it?!” I asked spinning myself around.

“I want to look at you,” Jiro said quietly.

I stared back at him.

“You went five years,” I said, “it took you five years to come back. I didn’t guarantee you that I’d stay the same after five years.”

“Selina…” he kept repeating.

More tears flew down.

“I’m sorry. I collapsed after chasing you and when I woke up I was already in the states. A lot of things happened over there I would have come sooner if I could,” Jiro reasoned and I knew he would have but I didn’t want to believe it.

“Is money everything now?” I questioned.

“Huh?” he asked.

“Everything you sent. All those cooking equipment. Did you think I couldn’t afford them?” I asked. “Did you think my restaurant is really of that low quality?”

“ Selina, why are you misunderstanding this?” Jiro questioned.

“I…I don’t want to talk to you…not right now.” I said. “I want to go home.”

*******************************

Jiro knew that was her limit for the time being, but still he kept wanting to know more. He wanted to know why she was pushing him away. Danson…he’d left her with Danson for five long years. Anything could have happened in those years. She could have had married him. That could be their child, but how come she’d said Ethan wasn’t Danson’s son? Jiro didn’t believe that Selina would be that low to be with another man.

If only he didn’t go, if only he didn’t leave maybe they’d be married by now. She’d be his wife, she’d belong to him.

“Perk up Jiro,” he said to himself, “if you want her back you can’t be like this.”

Jiro shut his eyes and took a very deep breath. After exhaling he opened up his eyes but instead found tears. It hurt to look at her knowing the scar in her heart. Knowing she didn’t want to talk to him. Knowing she didn’t want to catch up on each of their five years. Knowing Danson was by her side for her to depend on. Knowing she had a son. So much had happened to her and he wasn’t any part of it. She was keeping him out of her life. If only he hadn’t been born rich.

*********************************

I took a cab home. When I got inside Danson was still waiting for me.

“What did you two do?” Danson asked.

I couldn’t answer him. I knew if I tried talking I would just bawl so instead I walked over to him and leaned my head on his shoulder and just cried. I knew Jiro was in pain. I knew he still cared, but I had to push it away. If I didn’t want to get hurt if I didn’t want Ethan to meet his grandfather I’d have to stay away from him. It’s not like I really want to refuse my own emotions it was just I just want to keep my son safe and free from harm and hearing those insults his mother would get. I missed Jiro and it was nice to have him back. If I were that carefree I would have gone into his arms, but I can’t.

Danson was still waiting for my answer. I’d have to make up my mind soon. I had to push Jiro back and forget him. I…it was probably time for me to move on now. Ethan needs a father…he needs someone that is able to play with him. He needs someone who understands a young boy’s feelings. That person would best be Danson. Deep inside I just hoped that Jiro would be able to forgive me someday.