#29

My #1 Boyfriend

“So what was that about?” Danson asked turning back to the employee.

“They want to make a contract,” the person said, “Boss I think you should sign with them so when we get in really big trouble one day we can get out of it easily. You know like if we ever land in court.”

“Ah!” I shrieked as the pot I was holding fell to the ground. “Do you guys have to talk so much?!”

“Hey, I think that’s a good idea,” Danson said nudging me as I picked up the plate and dropped it into the sink.

“I don’t know, they sound like a con company,” I muttered.

“A con?!” the employee questioned. “My grandma buys from them!”

“Well, if they’re so good why don’t you sign with them?” I questioned.

“Puh-lease! She works for you!” Danson said pointing to the girl. “Hey, I think you should give it a try. I’ll give you a ride later.”

I glared at him, “You’re going to get a burnt special if you keep yapping! You know I can’t work when people are talking!”

“Whoa! Hey! Calm down missy,” Danson said, “it’s my birthday. It’d be nice for you to listen to me. This could be my other birthday present.”

“Exactly how much birthdays do you have?” I asked.

“He said at that rich restaurant down the corner of the street,” the girl interrupted.

Danson nodded and turned back to me, “You’ll be there at 7.”

“Ow! Danson!” I shouted as he ran out.

My finger just got burnt and Danson knew very well that I could not concentrate when there was someone talking to me. I don’t even remember how I got to be so close to him. I couldn’t even remember what he was talking about. Something about 7….

*******************************

“Sir,” Tai said walking in through the door, “it’s scheduled for 7. I just called the restaurant.”

Jiro nodded and waved him off. In fact Jiro really hated making contracts. Meeting up with the person, telling them the basics, the rules, the consequences if the rules were to be broken, and so on. Jiro grabbed his folder and got out of his office.

“Is the car ready yet?” questioned Jiro.

“It’s out in the lot,” replied Tai.

It wasn’t too dark out and it was a bit early but Jiro decided that it’d be better to have everything over with. The restaurant was a little fancy, but the feeling to it was alright. There were benches by the walls and in the center of the room were circular tables with cloth drapes that seemed very expensive. The lighting wasn’t too bright, but it was very dim. The carpeted floor seemed comfortable enough to lay down on and sleep and he felt like laughing when he looked at it. Jiro rubbed his face and ordered for a cup of water as he waited.

******************************

“Mommy, mommy, mommy!” shouted Ethan as he ran about in the eating room.

I rubbed my eyes as Danson who was in the chair next to me kept talking and going on about the restaurant. I could tell he really wanted the contract signed by me, but in fact he only wanted to work with a famous industry. He’d probably go around bragging about this news tomorrow.

Just before I knew it I was in his car and we were off. He quickly parked right in front of the restaurant and fixed my hair so that I was organized looking.

“Give them a good impression. Make sure you get the contract no matter what! For my birthday! Remember the more money you get if you sign!” Danson called after me as I got out of the car.

I waved to him as I entered the building. The doors seemed so fancy and heavy as I pushed them. There was a woman standing behind a counter. She nodded and smiled and led me around into a small dining room. I glanced around amazed. The lighting was excellent. This place…no wonder it was for rich people. This seemed more like a place for romantic scenes in those movies. It even smelled nice and I let the aroma drift up into my nose before I stopped along the way to look at how the rooms and tables were decorated. My mouth must have opened in awe.

“Miss this way please,” the waitress said.

“Sorry,” I quickly apologized and followed her.

She led me to an empty table and I sat down.

“Would you like anything to drink?” she questioned politely.

“A cup of water please,” I said.

After she left I ran my hands on the surface of the table admiring at how soft a table cloth could be. It must be expensive. If my restaurant could be this nice…I got out of my thoughts as loud footsteps came. I looked up to see someone walking towards the table. He was wearing a white button up shirt and a red tie with a grey dress pants. When he neared my eyes widened. It couldn’t be, it can’t be, it’s impossible, why? He stared down at me with surprise.

“Selina,” I heard and gulped.

The waitress came back with my cup of water and Jiro sat down in his chair. I dared not look up to see his face.

“I didn’t know your father owned such a famous company,” I said.

Jiro didn’t speak for a minute so I said, “So, where’s that contract?”

Jiro took out a folder and a lot of papers going through each of them carefully. By the way he spoke I could tell how businesslike a person he was. Changed was what I thought.

He’s learned more. This was company matters alright. He concentrated on that for a moment but all I did was concentrate on his voice. I missed it so much and I wanted to look at him so bad, but I couldn’t. I must have hurt him so much when I had ran out on him. I bit my lip.

“If you agree to all these terms we can help you in any financial situation you might be in in the future,” Jiro said then paused for a moment to see if I had anything to say. When I didn’t he went on, “If you agree please sign your name here.”

He pushed the paper and a pen over to me and I quickly signed it and pushed it back to him.

“Is this all then?” I questioned pretending to look at my watch.

“Can’t you stay a little while longer….” he began.

“I have some things to attend to,” I said getting up and grabbed my cell phone calling Danson.

I pushed the entrance doors open and stepped out into the night. I wanted to stay, I did, but if I did stay I knew I would be there all night. I couldn’t leave Ethan alone. I had a son, I had a responsibility. I stood there feeling the wind.

“Selina,” Jiro said spinning me around as he grabbed my arm.

I looked up into his face. He looked desperate and I knew one small talk would do it. A small kiss, one short hugj Just holding my hand, and it would be enough for that night. Just to feel that he’d really come back.

We stared at each other for I don’t know how long. I heard a car turn around the corner and pulled away from him quickly looking away. I blinked a few tears back and without saying anything I boarded Danson’s car.

“How’d it go? Did you get it?” Danson asked. I could still hear that excitement in his voice.

I nodded quickly and asked, “Is Ethan asleep?”

“My sister is with him right now,” Danson told. “You in a hurry?”

“Sort of,” I nodded.

He stopped in the parking lot and I dashed up the stairs. I thanked Danson’s sister and closed the apartment door after she left. I made my way over to Ethan’s little room. He was sleeping like an angel. I quietly closed the door and went into my room. I sat down on the edge of my bed and tears streamed down my face. Jiro…finally came back.

************************************