#16

My #1 Boyfriend

I awoke hours later and found that it was almost dawn. I got off the bed and went to look at myself closely in the mirror. The side of my mouth was red but it was beginning to fade away. It wasn’t until then that I noticed I wasn’t in my own clothes. I turned around to look at the closet and after a bit of searching I found that my clothes was not in the room. I couldn’t go home in the shirt and sweats I was wearing. Mom would question me and she wouldn’t stop till she found the truth. While I was trying to think of I'd retrieve my clothes the door opened.

“What’s wrong?” Jiro asked.

I turned to look at him and finally noticed that there were bags under his eyes. He was tired.

“My…my clothes,” I stuttered.

“The maids are drying them right now. I’ll tell them to bring them up when they’re ready,” Jiro said turning around to go.

“Wait,” I said. I could try telling him now because I didn’t want to be like Calvin. Besides he was trying to help me. “I…I…I…uh…” Jiro stared back waiting. It wouldn’t come. Why was I so scared? Why couldn’t I just easily say it? “Thank you.”

“It’s alright,” Jiro told and walked away.

Disappointment filled me and I sat down on the bed. My heart throbbed. Calvin went off to study, what if Jiro would go off too? My heart sunk. I really wanted to get this over with because I didn’t want to lose him. I’ve ignored him for more than a month and who knows what he could be feeling right now? I think I’ve taken enough time to try to sort everything out so I should stop hesitating like a coward. I…I don’t to go on with this. I opened the door but to my surprise Jiro was right outside opening the door at the same time. I stepped back almost losing balance but caught myself just in time.

“I forgot to ask is there anything else you need?” he asked. I shook my head no quickly. “Alright then.” He began to turn around and I began to feel despair in my heart that I reached forward and grasped his wrist. He looked down at my hand and then at me. I gulped hoping I could do this.

“I…I…” I began again.

“I’ll come back later,” he said beginning to walk out.

“Sorry,” I said and he stopped in his tracks, “sorry I ignored you. I didn’t mean it. I didn’t know what to do. I was confused. You were always an arrogant person but you always knew what you were feeling. You can call me a loser or a weakling but right now I don’t want to be one anymore. Thank you. Thanks for always being there when I needed help. I…I…I’m starting to think about you. I don’t know if it’s like, but I want to try liking you. So…can we…lets try going out.” I made it sound more like a question then a statement. I really felt like an idiot right now.

****************************************

Jiro could feel his heart run faster and thought, “What did she just say?”

Selina took a breath and said, “You can forget I said that.” And before she could do anything Jiro stepped forward and gave her a tight hug. He was warm, she felt better and leaned her head against him smiling.

****************************************

After I changed back into my clothes the day before we left the house together. It was silent and I felt a little awkward being like this so I started a conversation.

“So…why didn’t you come to school?” I questioned.

“My dad wanted to make some negotiations that’s all,” he told then added, “I saw you with Calvin. How did you know him?”

I quickly turned away. I forgot about that! How was I supposed to answer him now? Tell him I got into the party? Probably not a good idea. It hadn't been a good idea going there in the first place.

“I…I…” I began.

“Never mind that then,” he told, “the maid told me that you were having a bad dream. What was it?”

I turned to look at him. Now we had stopped walking. My eyes were opened big with wonder then I turned away.

“I…I was dreaming of my dad,” I told.

“Your dad?” Jiro questioned.

I nodded. That was right I’d never told him about my father. He’d told me all about his mother but I’d never said anything about my father to him.  

“I really wanted to swim when I was little and my dad was one of the best swimmers around. When little my sister and I would spent time separately with our parents and that week I was with my dad,” I said, “he’d taken me to the beach. While I was running around by the shore my shoe came off and started to float away. I called to my dad and he went to get it for me but along the way he encountered some jelly fish. My dad never screamed for help when maybe he would’ve been rescued. He just helplessly fell in and I watched him die. I…it was my fault.” I smiled weakly as tears approached my eyes and dropped out.  

A second later I could feel Jiro’s hands on my face wiping the tears away with his thumbs.

“Next time I look at you I shouldn’t see tears anymore.”

I gave a short laugh wiping my face with my sleeves, “Idiot.”

“Oh, have you heard,” Jiro began, “they say if you walk backwards you won’t have to force yourself to face the world anymore instead you can go against it.”

I frowned laughing, “That’s pathetic. Whoever came up with that?”

He extended his hand out, “Lets try it.”

I glanced down at his free hand and grabbed it. He turned around so that he was the one walking backwards and I would be the one walking toward him. As he started to move back he pulled me gently along. I couldn’t help but smile at this pathetic idea. We were getting lost into our little game that I didn’t notice the pole coming up.

“Watch out!” I quickly said.

“Huh?” he said questioningly as he turned around his head going into the pole. “Ah!” he grabbed his forehead in pain.

“Are you ok?” I asked looking at him then started laughing at how stupid we’d been. A second later Jiro joined in and we laughed together.

“What happened to you?!” mom shouted as I entered the house.

I laughed like an idiot and waved at mom, “Hi mom. I’m home.”

“Of course you’re home…now answer me! What in the world did you do?! Who did this?!” my mom demanded while checking out my patched up injuries.

“I slipped down the stairs,” I lied.

“You slipped down the stairs? How can the stairs give you this?!” she pointed to the deep cut on the side of my head that had a bandage over it.

I rubbed my head gently, “Uh…well you know since the stairs can break your neck, why can’t you get cuts from it?”

“You wanna break your neck?!” mom questioned.

“Mom!” I exclaimed. “I’m alright. I came back in one piece.”

“So it’d be better if you come back in two? Is that what you’re saying?” she said her eyes big and filled with seriousness.

I hung my head back realizing she wouldn’t get it then I pulled my head back, “I’m going to school.”

“Make sure to come back in three pieces!” she shouted after me as I went to my room and grabbed my bag.

“I’ll come back in five,” I said as I opened the door and walked out.

As promised Jiro and I met at school by the stairs we walked to class together and so on. After school had ended for me I went to work. While taking orders I didn’t notice that Jiro had come in.

“A bowl of soup,” a familiar voice said.

I looked up and raised an eyebrow, “What are you doing here?”

“I came to eat,” Jiro said a big smile on his face, “I’m ordering.”

I frowned, “There’s more than just a bowl of soup here.”

Jiro shrugged and said, “The first thing I ate with you will always taste the best so just give me a bowl of warm soup.” Then he whispered, “Make it special.”

I laughed out loud, “Yea, I’ll put pepper it in.”

“Don’t do that!” he whined.

“Go take a seat,” I said and walked away from the counter.