#36

My #1 Boyfriend

We stopped at a pretty long table draped with a fancy white tablecloth. There were plenty of champaign glasses filled with different kinds of drinks. I grabbed one and drank it feeling dizzy afterward. I made a face as I realized that I’ve just drank a mixed drink. I never really drank before and I was a person who couldn’t take alcohol. I set the cup down and rubbed my head.

“Can’t drink it?” Calvin asked looking over.

I looked at him and smiled, “I’ll probably go drunk after this.”

Calvin gave a laugh, “You’re not good at drinking then huh? Here there’s some juice over here.”

He handed me a cup and I drank it but afterwards it just made me feel even worse. I stopped drinking after that and just stood around with Calvin. We talked a little here and there, but I didn’t say much.

“It’s 7 I have to go,” Calvin said, “I have something on in an hour.”

“Oh ok,” I said. “Bye.”

“Go stand with Jiro or other girls will get him, bye,” Calvin warned.

I smiled as I watched him leave but then turned around. I glanced around the room slowly to find that Jiro was now gone. I was alone now. I stood there silently wishing I could get out of there quickly.

“Miss Ren,” a voice said.

I turned around to find a man standing there and recognized him as one of the persons I’ve talked to earlier.

“Mr. Wang would like to meet you for a moment. He’s very interested in your Wonderful World restaurant,” the man said.

I felt butterflies in my stomach. How could this day get any worse? Jiro’s dad probably had no idea that I was the owner of the restaurant.

“I…” I began.

“Don’t worry I’ll introduce you to everybody,” he urged. “Come on.”

I had no choice but to follow this man since he was of higher class and he knew more than I did about these type of banquets. It would probably be disrespectful to deny his invitation. Maybe this wouldn’t be so bad after all…I hoped.

“Mr. Wang the owner of Wonderful World Miss Ren,” the man said as we stepped through the crowd.

I stood silently still behind the man. When he noticed that I wasn’t coming out he stepped aside and slowly pushed me forward. I stared at the ground for a moment and looked up to see Mr. Wang's reaction. He had an expression of astonishment on his face.

“It’s you,” Mr. Wang said coldly.

“You know her sir?” questioned the man.

This was going to be bad. Very bad.

Mr. Wang gave his smile I recognized from back then, “Sure I do. This person…you must have done something in order to bring up your restaurant this high. Even a low class person was able to climb up the hill the top.”

I gritted my teeth and did my best not to show my fear. I knew what he wanted he wanted to embarrass me and throw me out of the party.

“Tell me how did you do it?” questioned Mr. Wang.

“I…” I began, “I did it on my own.”

Mr. Wang laughed playfully as if he was playing with a child, “Look Chen did you hear her stumble?”

The man looked at me confused and I knew that he pitied me.

“Young lady, someone must have helped you. You can’t set up a business alone,” Mr. Wang explained, “it’s impossible for you to take such pressure when starting such a big business.”

I didn’t know what else to say. I was at a total lost and I couldn’t argue back, I just couldn’t bring the urge to argue back. I just couldn’t bring back those feelings from back then. Those feelings of when I wanted to win against him and feel victory for myself. I’ve lost it. I hadn’t had a single small argument these past years.

“This woman here, everyone,” Mr. Wang began raising his voice, “seduced my son. She was after his money and even had him get beat up by a bunch of drunks.”

Everyone looked at me snickering and whispering to each other. I knew if they were going to believe someone it wouldn’t be me. The person of higher class always wins.

“That was when I forced her away with money. She must have used that to start that restaurant of hers,” Mr. Wang said, “Everyone do you think a liar deserves such attention?”

The people around me snickered to each other and all I could feel was shame overcome me. I wanted to shrink and disappear on the spot.

“Do you have anything to say for yourself?” Mr. Wang asked looking at me with complete victory.

“I…” was all that came out.

I really wanted to clear things for myself but I couldn’t. I searched my mind for anything but nothing came up. I stood there like a fool then suddenly someone grabbed my arm pulling me back.

“Dad,” it was Jiro. “Leave her alone.”

“What are you doing? Step away from her,” Mr. Wang ordered.

“Could you stop saying that about her? She did everything herself she didn’t cheat in order to bring up her restaurant,” Jiro defended me.

“Who are you to speak for her?” Mr. Wang asked.

“You know everything you said isn’t true. If there’s a liar here it’d be you,” Jiro snapped.

Mr. Wang’s eyes shot up and he sat up in his chair then started coughing. Jiro grabbed my hand and led me out of the room.

“Young Master,” the maid said as Jiro walked pass.

“Don’t let anyone bother me,” Jiro said as we went up the stairs.

We entered a room and he shut the door behind us heaving a big breath. I sat on the bed silently and could feel him look over at me but he didn’t say anything for a moment.

“Why didn’t you argue back? Why’d you let my father say those things about you? Don’t you know how embarrassing it is?” Jiro questioned. I didn’t answer. “How can you just stand there like a fool? There were so many well known people around what if they spread rumors about you? Do you have any idea how it can affect businesses?”

“Yea I do! More than you because it was me, not you! You don’t understand how I feel! You don’t know anything about me! You want to know why I couldn’t argue back? I lost it, I lost it, I lost the courage! I’m a fool, I know that, you don’t have to tell me!” I suddenly snapped. I just became so angry everything seemed to come out of my mouth without my knowing it.

Jiro stared at me and silently came to sit by me. I didn’t move as he reached his hand up to wipe my tears away.

“Always you’re crying,” Jiro said.

I remembered he’d told me that once. I knew he was going to lean in for a kiss but before he could kiss me I kissed him. Just once just tonight I wanted one more night with him before I would let everything go.