News

Eternity

Leo was checking his email one morning when he realized that there was an email from the council. It was true that they had contact of all area registered vampires but it was only for security purposes. Never had the email ever been used. He glanced at Hakyeon, who was peacefully sleeping, before clicking on the email. ................................

Leo read it over three times before calling his friend.

"What's up Hyung?" Hongbin asked. He was curious to why Leo called him; they never really contacted each other much.

"Have you checked your email?" No hello, or how are you. Typical Leo.

"No why?"

"Check it". Hongbin was puzzled but he grabbed his tablet from Sanghyuk and signed into his email, earning a pout from Sanghyuk in the process.

"I was getting close to the high score", the boy pouted.

"The Council?" Hongbin said in surprise.

"So you got it too", Taekwoon said dryly, "I was hoping it was only a virus or hack".

Hongbin's eyes scanned the screen and was trying to process the information when Taekwoon's voice interrupted him. "So are you going next week?"

"What kind of question is that?" Hongbin demanded, "It says mandatory gathering".

And there was a click, indicating that Leo hung up. Hongbin put the phone down and stared down at his screen. Sanghyuk noticed Hongbin's tense behaviour and crawled over to the edge of the bed, trying to look over the elder's shoulder.

"What's that Hyung?" he asked curiously. Hongbin stood up abruptly, causing Sanghyuk's chin to clash with his shoulder.

"Ah!" Sanghyuk yelped.

"Sorry, you surprised me", Hongbin replied.

"What's that?"

Hongbin sighed and sat back down, letting Sanghyuk read over his shoulders. He waited for the younger boy's reaction.

"What the hell? Why so sudden?" Sanghyuk asked, "That's so-so unfair! Is this for everyone?"

Hongbin noticed the younger boy's panic and hugged him, "It's only a public gatherings, don't worry. They'll probably explain all this next week at the meeting".

"Do we have to go?"

"It won't be that bad. I'll introduce you to my friend and his mate", Hongbin suggested.

....................

"Where are we going Taekwoon?" Hakyeon asked when Leo told him to get ready.

"Area gathering" was the short reply. Hakyeon noticed something was off but he got ready nonetheless.

The setting with numerous vampires was unusual for both males. Since they were so accustomed to individual lives, they felt like everyone was gathering like a herd of zebras who are herded to be captured.

"Stay close", Leo said, grabbing Hakyeon's hand.

"Hyung!"

Hakyeon and Leo turned to see Hongbin. Leo cracked a smile; it had been months since he saw his friend. Attached to Hongbin's hand was a thin, slightly taller boy.

"Hey Hongbin, you came", Leo stated.

"This is Sanghyuk, my mate", Hongbin introduced.

Leo looked at the boy and offered his hand, "Nice to meet you". Sanghyuk was quite adorable looking as he smiled nervously and shook hands.

"You must be Leo hyung's mate, I'm Hongbin", Hongbin introduced, also shaking hands with Hakyeon.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Hakyeon", Hakyeon introduced. Sanghyuk was shy as he greeted Leo then Hakyeon.

Leo seemed like the gruff, serious type. To his surprise, Hakyeon hugged and said to him, "You're so adorable!" Sanghyuk awkwardly chuckled; this Hyung seemed to act younger than himself.

The four decided to walk together. "Do you know what this whole thing is about?" Hakyeon asked Sanghyuk.

Sanghyuk blinked, "Don't you know...?"

Hongbin raised a brow at Leo, "You didn't tell him?"

Leo tugged on Hakyeon's hand, "We'll find out anyways".

"Welcome everyone!" A man called, "Thank you for coming to this important meeting."

It turned out that there had been a case where a submissive female killed her mate in self defence. And new laws were being introduced to prevent such a 'terrible' thing from happening again. Apparently, the submissive partners needed to be kept under more control. The council introduced a totally new speech system. The submissives were to refer to all dominants as 'sir' and worst of all, dominants could treat any submissive as they pleased. It was absolutely insane but not something new.

They just made it official.

Of course not many opposed this as there was no such thing as love between their mates. Hakyeon gulped as the angry feeling of vulnerability overcame him. The meeting was concluded with the fact that the vampire community was beginning to embrace the idea of living as a clan rather than individually. The regions would be combined starting next week.

Hongbin swore, "What the hell is with this ? Why are they making us live like a pack of dogs?"

....................

"Be alert", Leo said as he held onto Hakyeon's hand, fingers entwined.
"And if I'm not around, stick with Hongbin and Sanghyuk", he added.
The individual territory system was out of use and 38 vampires of the area found themselves in a palace-like mansion where they were expected to live. Obviously, there would be tension and mistrust of one another.

"This is so weird", Sanghyuk whispered.

"Yeah, tell me about it", Hakyeon muttered.

The living space available for mated pairs was a hotel-like suite -- although they were fancy and neat, it didn't have the essence of home.
On the other hand, unmates individuals were given a huge hall to share with their peers. There were five halls, three for the submissive vampires and two for the dominants.
Taekwoon breathed in relief when he realized that he'd be getting a lot more privacy than others.
However, an existing issue was feeding. A vampire's sharp senses wouldn't find it difficult to figure out whether a vampire fed from a human or animal. Hakyeon under suspicion would cause unneeded problems.

Hakyeon realized this and was quick to convince Leo to not worry.

"I'll be careful; I'll wash before returning", Hakyeon said, "They'll just assume I'm a germaphobe". Leo raised a brow; that wouldn't make much of a difference.

Hakyeon sighed, "Leave it up to me". Hesitantly, Leo nodded.
That day, Leo also spotted the male he first saw Hakyeon with. He frowned but avoided any contact with the latter.
This change of lifestyle was sudden and would take a lot of getting used to -- for Leo.

Hakyeon grew a close and protective bond over young Sanghyuk and the two always seemed to be together. Despite the five year gap, they had no trouble getting along.

But one day, Sanghyuk called Leo in panic when Hakyeon collapsed in the kitchen. The latter sped home to find his beloved mate moved to the couch, still unconscious.

"What happened?" he demanded.

"I was entering a DVD into the tv and Hakyeon Hyung said he'd make microwave popcorn", Sanghyuk explained, "I heard a thud and found him on the ground". Leo looked closer and noticed that Hakyeon did seem slightly weaker and the dark bags under his eyes were terribly prominent. They called for the doctor. It was the only good thing that came from living collectively.

"Malnutrition".

"Excuse me?" Leo demanded.

The older man looked at him, "He's weak due to lack of nutrition." Leo growled at the man's mocking tone.

"You're mates right? You should know when he's eating", the doctor said boredly. Leo was furious and the others in the room noticed as well.

"Thank you for your help", Hongbin said quickly as he quickly bid farewell.

He returned and placed a hand on Leo's shoulder, "Calm down Hyu---".

"Calm down? How can I calm down when I've been told that I can't take care of my mate?" Leo demanded angrily. Hongbin fell silent.

"I hope he feels better", Sanghyuk whispered as the couple left, bidding farewell.

Hakyeon awoke about fifteen minutes later, looking around in confusion. 'What happened?'

Leo was beside him in a flash, grabbing his wrist, "Let's go, you're going hunting".

"I'm sorry. I though feeding once a week would be enough, in case they were watching", Hakyeon explained.

"Are you stupid?" Leo demanded harshly, "Of course it wouldn't be enough! You should know that by now! Were you trying to make a scene?!"

Hakyeon bit his lip, "No, I'm sorry".

Leo turned around, "Do me a favour and go hunt something". Leo needed to figure out the reason behind the reason behind the Council's sudden decision. It was too rash and the given explanation was way too simple. Leo had a bad feeling and he wanted to get to the bottom of it. Although the Council's affairs were something he'd avoid, he felt that something was very wrong and they weren't being given the truth. Something serious was definitely going on.

"Hey Hyung, where are you heading?" Hongbin asked.

Leo didn't answer right away, "Nothing, just taking a walk".

"Would you mind if I joined you?" Leo shook his head 'no'. They exited the suites and walked around the area, exploring the palace and they found themselves where the halls were. Strangely, it was very quiet and the heavy doors were huge as though hiding something. The two were walking by when they heard a high pitched cry. The two froze and face one of the large five doors from which the sound came from.

But just as they did, the area supervisor was in front of them, "What are you two doing here? Shouldn't you be inside?" His voice was grave and cold.

"Ah, we're mated", Hongbin answered.

He slightly calmed, "You shouldn't be here".

"But we heard--", Hongbin began before Leo interrupted him quickly.

"Sorry, we were searching for the bath house", Leo said quickly.

The supervisor hesitated before replying, "That's in the east wing; you boys are in the west wing."

Leo nodded, "Thank you, we'll be leaving".

"Hyung! Someone was in trouble!" Hongbin said.

"I know but we can't be suspicious to them", Leo whispered.

"Something is wrong here Hyung", Hongbin said.

Leo only nodded, "Let's just be careful".

..................................................................................................................................................

Hakyeon took a long walk after replenishing his energy. He wasn't in a good mood after being scolded so he wanted time alone. Deciding to explore the trail, he took a nice peaceful walk. The green trees were welcoming and still. The silence made Hakyeon content as he roamed around. The only sound existing was the sound of chirping birds and the cluttering on squirrels as they busily scattered about. Hakyeon closed his eyes and took a deep breath of the musky, woody, fresh scent. However, just as Hakyeon's muscles relaxed, he tensed when he heard the sound of something -- someone -- moving fast. Hakyeon's eyes shot open and he sensed a familiar scent. It was unmistakable ... But the fact Hakyeon's weak senses picked up the presence of the intruder meant that he wasn't very far. It was a good time to get out of the area.
Hakyeon ran in full speed, barely missing the trees. His heart was beating in fear as he sped his way out the forest trail. He was suddenly caught by a pair of hands that tightly gripped his shoulders.

"Ahh!! Let go!!" he cried as he struggled against the person, pushing away from another male's chest in which he practically collided with.

"Hakyeon. Hakyeon! Calm down! It's me!!" Hakyeon stared as his vision and sense finally cleared to reveal his Taekwoon. Hakyeon's body was almost violently shaking as though he saw a ghost. He abruptly embraced Leo tightly as though he was afraid of letting go.