Chapter 8

The Crimson Feather

“Oh my! Oh my word!” The Viscount Kimberly appeared on the verge of tears as he watched the scene unfold before him, his precious charity soiree absolutely ruined. The society pages would no doubt report on the matter, throwing his good deeds into the mud due to young and foolish gentlemen who knew not how to behave in public.

“Gentlemen, Gentlemen!” Heechul stepped forward, sweeping past the Viscount Kimberly as he moved towards the source of the disturbance, “Duels are so very overrated these days. Why not fisticuffs?”

The Comte Labeaux, one hand clutching his sister’s wrist, the other angrily pointing at Cho Kyuhyun, turned to see who dared mock his desire to duel. He didn’t immediately recognize the man, which wasn’t that unexpected given his rather short time in the country.

“Comte, my fine sir, I think you best take this somewhere else, don’t you?” Heechul dared place a hand on the Comte’s shoulder.

“Who are you?” Kris spat, looking Heechul up and down.

“A very fashionable, well-meaning friend.” Heechul smiled, turning his attention to Victoria. “And my, how pretty you have become since I last saw you. Shall we take a turn around the dance floor?”

“Yes.” Victoria answered immediately. The woman looked utterly distraught, or perhaps just very angry. Her face was flushed, her eyes wide, her evening glove slipping down her arm as her brother held her wrist in an iron grip.

“Then shall we?” Heechul offered his hand, Victoria reaching out and claiming it. The Comte Labeaux, utterly confused, let go of his sister as the musicians struck up a waltz. Heechul escorted Victoria towards the middle of the ballroom, smiling at the Viscount Kimberly as if to tell the man that he best move out of the way – quickly. The viscount did just that. Slowly couples paired up, joining in the dance amidst the confusing atmosphere.

***

“Letter?!” Kyuhyun leaned back in his chair, laughing, “You are after the letter?”

“Yes.” Jongdae was not in a laughing mood. No, he was rather preoccupied at the moment. After Heechul had so expertly diffused the situation Jongdae had attempted to convince Kyuhyun to have a word with him. Such a task was nearly impossible with Kris spewing hatred, pointing and yelling at the man.

In the end Jongdae had to ask Sehun and Junmyeon to direct the Comte out of the ballroom, by force if necessary. Thankfully a strong arm around the Comte’s shoulders, courtesy of Sehun, and the opportunity to engage Changmin as a second in the duel (offered, oddly enough, by Changmin himself) gave the Comte more than enough reason to leave the ballroom and go to the mansion’s study for a more private discussion.

Kyuhyun had willingly followed Jongdae, Minseok, and Luhan to the library of the home, the Viscount happy to offer rooms to the men as long as they promised not to disturb his soiree any further.

“I burnt it shortly after the Prince gave it to me. It would be terrible to have something so dreadfully incriminating around, wouldn’t it?” Kyuhyun shook his head, smiling. “How long have you been after me? I dare say, you have been wasting your time.”

“Where were you?” Minseok pressed. He was leaning against the large desk that dominated one end of the library, observing Kyuhyun’s mannerisms as he was interrogated.

“D’Adderleigh, when did you become such a spoil sport?” Kyuhyun sighed, then suddenly his eyes lit up. “Though I should be saying congratulations on your marriage, you two.”

“Where were you?” Luhan reiterated, unwilling to forget the point of their conversation amidst a halfhearted congratulations.

“Such serious men you all are.” Kyuhyun fidgeted, shifting in his seat. “If you must know I took a turn about the countryside with Victoria.”

“Why?” Jongdae asked.

“Have you seen her? Why wouldn’t I is the more appropriate question, old boy.” Kyuhyun winked. His interrogators did not share the amusement in his words.

“What of Victoria’s maid?” Luhan pressed.

“Maid? I haven’t the faintest idea.” Kyuhyun stood suddenly, “If you are finished with these rather boring questions I must be going. I have a duel to prepare for.”

“You must be joking.” Jongdae hadn’t believed that Kyuhyun would willingly duel the Comte, but apparently he was wrong.

“No, a duel is a very serious matter.” Kyuhyun pressed his hands to his pants, smoothing out his clothing.

“You are going to duel tomorrow, without naming a second? Without even considering offering an apology?” Jongdae couldn’t believe that Kyuhyun was so foolish, though in retrospect he shouldn’t have been surprised. The man had, after all, disappeared from the city while potentially carrying a letter that would destroy the Prince Regent.

“Sir, I have no apology to offer, so I dare say there is no reason to prolong it.” Kyuhyun crossed his arms, standing tall and firm.

“Was Victoria’s maid with her when you left?” Minseok wouldn’t let Kyuhyun walk out of the room without telling him that much, he wasn’t going to let the matter drop.

“No.” Kyuhyun stared at Minseok, looking him in the eyes. Minseok wished he could detect a hint of deception, a hint of something there that would tell him Kyuhyun was lying. But he did not. “What is all this talk of a maid?”

“I am afraid we are going to have to detain you until we can verify your story.” Jongdae ignored Kyuhyun’s question. He wouldn’t let Kyuhyun walk out of the room, out his grasp, until he knew very well that he was telling the truth. The only other person who could corroborate Kyuhyun’s story was Victoria, he would need to question her separately.

“I am afraid that is not possible, unless of course I have done something illegal. Something you can prove.” Kyuhyun glared, challenging Jongdae to try to keep him there.

“There are enough suspicions for me to hold you, don’t press your luck old boy.” Jongdae motioned for Minseok to walk with him, out of earshot of Kyuhyun. Luhan moved to stand in the way of Kyuhyun leaving, thankfully the man did not try to push his way out of the room.

“Please fetch Victoria for questioning. Take her to one of the sitting rooms.” Jongdae whispered to Minseok, patting him on the back in encouragement. Minseok nodded, leaving the room quickly.

***

Minseok was nearing the end of the long hallway when Sehun turned the corner, rushing towards him.

“The Comte, Victoria, and Changmin left!” Sehun looked to be in a panic, “I tried to stop them but they pushed past me.”

“Damn it.” Minseok felt like punching the wall, raining plaster down on the parquet floors.

“Is Kyuhyun still in the library?” Junmyeon blurted out as he too came running into the hall, his own expression not much more confident than Sehun’s. Heechul followed at the rear, though his movements were much less hurried.

“Yes, though he is very much of a mind to leave at the moment.” Minseok looked back down the hall, towards the library.

“Can we keep him here?” Sehun asked, uncertain of what legal grounds they had to detain Kyuhyun.

“I believe there is enough suspicion to hold him. We best get back to the room.” Minseok turned to walk back towards the library when he heard a crash. Fearing something dreadful had happened he ran down the hall, throwing open the door to the library, Sehun, Heechul, and Junmyeon piling in after him.

“My mistake.” Kyuhyun stood next to a shattered vase, staring at the broken pieces on the floor. “I tend to be a bit clumsy at times.”

Minseok breathed a sigh of relief to see Jongdae and Luhan were still in the room, very much uninjured.

Jongdae approached Minseok, asking in hushed tones if he had managed to find Victoria. When he learned that she had left he groaned. “Can not one person cooperate?”

“I dare say, it is very nice to catch up with all of you but if you truly have nothing but the possibility I may have a letter that was given to me as a reason to detain me, you are on very shaky if not outright impossible legal grounds.” Kyuhyun put his hands on his hips, kicking the pieces of the shattered vase absentmindedly with his feet.

“Is he correct?” Sehun questioned Jongdae, clearly worried.

Jongdae closed his eyes, sighing.

“Unless of course you want me to call upon my lawyer, who I am certain would be more than happy to attend to this matter even at this late hour.” Kyuhyun suggested.

“You may go.” Jongdae didn’t dare look at his friends as he spoke, feeling like he had let them all down. He was certain that if Kyuhyun’s lawyer was called he would have to let the man go, there wasn’t anything substantial enough to hold him.

Kyuhyun smiled, “Now that is a bit of logic and reason I can get behind. Now if you will excuse me.” Kyuhyun sauntered from the room. Adding insult to injury he patted Jongdae’s shoulder lightly as he passed him, as if to mock him for his failed efforts.

Once Kyuhyun was gone Jongdae walked to where the remnants of the vase lay, kicking the porcelain pieces in a fury.

“We need to stop that duel, or we shan’t find anything out.” Junmyeon stated the obvious.

Jongdae nodded, not bothering to turn around. He was angry, regretful. Taking a deep breath he barked out orders, not willing to lose the ground they had gained despite his inability to detain his suspects. “Sehun, watch the Comte’s house. Take Tao with you. Junmyeon, I need you to watch Changmin’s house, make sure he doesn’t make it to the dueling grounds in the morning, even if you have to knock him out to do so.”

“What of Kyuhyun?” Minseok questioned.

“I will take care of him.” Jongdae turned towards his friends, his hard expression relaying just how much frustration he was feeling at the moment. “Easton, D’Adderleigh, I need you to go to the park. If anyone makes it to the dueling grounds I need you to stop them before the situation gets out of hand.”

Jongdae turned to Heechul, “Now tell me everything Victoria said, in detail.”

“Oh, you want to chat? How forward of you.” Heechul winked, earning a scowl from his boyfriend.

***

Luhan cursed under his breath as the two people he absolutely didn’t want to encounter at the moment stood between him and freedom.

“Our darling son! And his handsome husband!” The Duchess of Hayden cooed, smiling as she took in the sight of Luhan and Minseok walking towards the entry way, having just come from the library.

Minseok bowed to his in-laws, a rather formal and stiff greeting. Luhan feigned a smile. “Mother, Father, how are you tonight?”

“Very well! I did hear there was a bit of a disturbance here earlier?” The Duchess clearly wanted to know the details.

“A disturbance? Your grace, I am not sure that we encountered a disturbance.” Minseok plastered on his own false smile, attempting to charm his way out of a long conversation with Luhan’s parents.

“Hm. Well I shall have to ask the Viscount about it then.” The Duchess swatted at her husband as the Duke attempted to wander away, clearly not finding the prospect of a long conversation with his son to be exciting.

“Dear, I heard that you borrowed Lisbeth. Is everything well?” The Duchess asking the one question Luhan truly did not want to answer.

“We needed help settling into the place, I hope you don’t mind, your grace.” Minseok took control of the conversation, Luhan grateful for it.

“Oh, well if that is the case then very good.” The Duchess smiled.

“We were just about to leave, Mother.”

“Is that so? Well, I suppose newlyweds have other things to do.” To Luhan’s utter horror his mother winked.

“Yes, well, we shall visit soon.” Luhan grabbed Minseok’s wrist, dragging him away from what was certainly one of the most embarrassing moments of his life. Once they were through the front door, standing in the cool night air, Minseok gently moved his wrist out of Luhan’s grasp. It was a reminder that all was still not well between them.

Luhan looked down at his empty hand. He wouldn’t press the matter, not now, not when they had work to do.

“We should stop by the house for a bit before we head over to the park.” Minseok started walking towards where their carriage was waiting.

Luhan knew that Minseok was worried about the twins, which he really couldn’t fault him for. He followed his husband towards the carriage, wondering how they would fair waiting at the park, only the two of them.

------------------------------

a/n- The next chapter is , so I shall leave my note here for all those who don’t read the bow chika wow wow (someone slap me). Xiuhan fighting…my poor heart! And Vic and Kyuhyun just show up. Whaaaa?! And of course we have a duel maybe kind of perhaps happening!

Let me know what you think in the comments, I know things are happening quickly. The mystery will pick up more in the chapters to come so please be prepared to curse me.

Thank you up voters! I love you! I want to send you a basketful of puppies or kitties or cute animals of your choice (to bad I can’t). Thanks to all the new subscribers and of course much love to the commenters, you make my day! If you need to find me I am on twitter, usually engaging in poor attempts at humor.

Read on if you want , otherwise see you in Chapter 9. <3 LC