Chapter 3

The Crimson Feather

Minseok darted to the side just in time, Kris’s cane hitting the paving stones and missing the man completely. Minseok braced himself lest another swing came his way, fortunately that was not the case. Kris retracted his cane, a sinister smile on his face.

“What was that for?” Luhan blurted out, his face turning red.

“Why don’t you ask him?” Kris motioned towards Minseok – who appeared to be perplexed by the situation.

“I have no idea.” Minseok offered to Luhan before turning his attention to Kris “I am sorry, have we met?”

“Have we met? Have we met?” Kris laughed loudly “I am the Comte Labeaux. Have we met?!” The tall man shook his head, muttering as though he was talking to another person - relaying the unbelievable fact that Minseok claimed he did not know him.

“C..o..m..te Labeaux?” Minseok pondered the title “You aren’t old enough to be Victoria’s Father.”

“You dolt! I am her brother! Our Father is recently deceased.” Kris rolled his eyes, letting out an exasperated sigh.

“Sorry to hear that.” Minseok responded, finding the entire conversation very odd indeed.

“My condolences.” Luhan offered, eyeing up the tall man suspiciously.

“Thank you. Now you have some explanations to offer, posthaste!” Kris drawled, his French accent very noticeable, his walking cane clutched tightly in his hand as he glared at Minseok.

“Explanations? For what? I believe you, sir, should be explaining why you attacked me without provocation?” Minseok stood firm, Luhan sidling up to his husband and slinging an arm around his waist in a protective gesture.

“Ha!” Kris stared at the sky, shaking his head as though Minseok had just uttered the most ridiculous words he had occasion to listen to.

“Regardless, we are here for a reason. We would like to discuss the disappearance of your sister. There is also some news that we must inform you of.” Luhan cut in, his hand tightening around Minseok’s waist as he spoke. He was already feeling more than a little angry at this man and his attempted assault; the fact that the man was now claiming Minseok owed him an explanation had Luhan bristling inside, doing everything in his power to hold back his anger and unleash a torrent of curse words.

“What reason do you have to take an interest in my sister?” Kris raised an eyebrow, seemingly forgetting his outrage as his curiosity set in.

“We work for the Home Office. Official business. May we step inside and ask you some questions?” Minseok queried.

Kris let out another exasperated bout of laughter. “I truly cannot believe this.”

Minseok and Luhan stood firm, neither speaking. They watched as Kris went through a series of actions to further emphasize his annoyance. He stomped his cane on the sidewalk, accidentally hitting his shoe and crying out before regaining his composure, then laughed again, shook his head, and then finally muttered “Very well. Follow me.”

***

“A crimson feather.” Jongdae said quietly, twirling the feather in his fingers. His gut instinct told him that this meant something. Why would a maid be carrying such a thing? Was it something that fell off of her ladies outfit? Or perhaps it was insignificant, something that the maid picked up on chance.

“How is my blushing future husband today?”

Jongdae startled, torn out of his deep thoughts he blinked rapidly as his mind returned to the present – or, to be more exact, Kim Heechul standing in the middle of his office – a smirk on his face.

“Future husband?” Jongdae quirked an eyebrow “Pray tell, when did we get engaged?”

“You pain me with your words, sir.” Heechul clutched at his chest in mock anguish “If it was up to me, yesterday.” Heechul winked, Jongdae feeling a bit of heat creep into his cheeks at the gesture.

Dating Kim Heechul could be very trying at times. The man was never short on flirtations and propositions and very rarely liked to be serious about anything other than when they would take their first tumble. Jongdae was very different from Heechul, he thrived on facts and rules and lengthy personal relationship that progressed slowly. They were an odd pair, though somehow they worked together. At least so far.

“Is your latest case concerning a red bird?” Heechul eyed up the feather, taking a seat in one of the chairs facing Jongdae’s desk.

Jongdae had seemed to forget that he was holding the feather, Heechul having distracted him. His attention once again drawn to the object he answered “A maid was found in the river this morning. This was on her body.”

“What a fancy maid.” Heechul muttered.

“I can’t help but think it means something.” Jongdae sighed “Though what I have no idea.”

“Well, feathers are not exactly a rare item in this city. Take a turn around the fashionable homes one evening and you could probably count thousands of them in every color.” Heechul cringed as he recalled the more gaudy feathered dresses and hairpieces he had come into contact with, dyed in bright and ghastly hues that even he wouldn’t dare even wear.

“Indeed. That is my problem. This is a very unremarkable object all things considered” Jongdae opened the desk drawer, putting the feather inside carefully, he closed the drawer. “Now I would assume you have a reason to burst into my place of business, other than to see my face?”

“Yes, well, there is a soiree tomorrow evening at Viscount Kimberly’s mansion. I thought it best if you come and keep me company lest I embarrass you horribly with my antics while you are away.”

“Is that a threat?” Jongdae smiled slightly.

“Something like that.” Heechul answered, knowing full well Jongdae would agree to attend. He always did.

***

 Junmyeon was blissfully alone. Or more like pleasantly unaccompanied. Changmin had taken his leave after finding no more booths of interest to him at the Wayside exhibition. Junmyeon’s father had been drawn into another fascinating lecture – this time on the properties of wax – and Junmyeon was left to wander about the place alone.

As he walked amidst the cavernous exhibition hall he found himself once again in front of the booth where D’Adderleigh’s estate manager was holding court. Junmyeon found the man alone and decided, having nothing better to do, he would strike up a conversation.

“Yixing, is it?” Junmyeon started off quietly, not sure how best to speak to the man.

“Yes. You are Junmyeon! I recognized you earlier, sorry I couldn’t say anything. I was in the middle of explaining the exhibit.” Yixing smiled, a single dimple appearing “I do hope you remember me. We used to play together as children.”

Junmyeon noticed a slight blush creep on Yixing’s face as he spoke. Junmyeon couldn’t help but find it a tad bit endearing.

“Ah, yes. I do remember. With Jongdae and Minseok.” Junmyeon answered, though he realized that the memories must be a tad bit awkward for Yixing. As children they could play together, though as adults their social class would forever separate them. While Jongdae, Minseok, and Junmyeon could live their lives in the highest social circles, Yixing, as the son of farmers, was relegated forever to the working class.

“That is right! It has been quite a long time.” Yixing went about adjusting one of the small farm tools he had on display, speaking while he worked “Do you live in the city year round now?”

“No. I – we, my parents and I take our summers in the country.” Junmyeon felt increasingly awkward, realizing he did not have much to discuss with the man. Why had he decided it was a good idea to approach him in the first place? He scratched the back of his neck, feeling a bit lost “Do you like the city? Do you come here often?”

“It is my first time in the city since I was a child.” Yixing could recall accompanying his Father once, when he was about ten years old. He hadn’t been back since “I made the journey for the exhibition. I have been looking forward to it.”

“Well, very good. I am happy you were able to come.” Junmyeon smiled and tried to think of what to say next. Thankfully his Father did the speaking for him, pulling him away from the uncomfortable encounter.

“Son, are you ready to leave? Your Mother will have our hides if we are late for her dinner party.”

“Yes, sir. Coming.” Junmyeon turned around, all too grateful to be given an excuse to leave. He quickly realized that he was acting rather impolitely, so he turned back around and blurted out “It was very nice seeing you again. I hope your time in the city goes well.”

“Thank you. The same to you.” Yixing answered, flashing another smile at Junmyeon.

Junmyeon scurried to catch up with his Father, for some reason feeling as though he was a child once again.

***

The sitting room in the Labeaux household was…as Luhan would later describe it…rather French. Which made sense, given the occupants of the town house were French, though the way a proper country man described it gave it a sort of stuffy aura. A sense of entitlement, if you will.

Kris took the large wing backed chair, upholstered in a cream colored fabric while Luhan and Minseok sat next to each other on the gilded couch. Luhan seemed to want to keep as little space between them as possible, scooting closer to Minseok when a noticeable gap was present. Minseok would have normally scolded Luhan –they were here on business after all – though he let it slide given the circumstance. Kris almost taking his head off with a cane would likely have Luhan’s already overprotective nature running at full force.

“Now what is this news that you have for me?” Kris asked, tenting his hands he crossed his long legs, looking every bit the young handsome aristocrat.

“We need you to tell us about your sister’s disappearance first.” Minseok pushed back, wanting to at least garner some information from the man given the staff’s refusal to talk.

Disappearance is a rather strong word.” Kris sighed.

“Trying to assault someone with a cane is a rather strong action.” Luhan countered, still upset over the actions. What sort of man went about striking people with walking sticks the moment after they met them?

“Ah, about that! You do owe me an explanation!” Kris seemed to remember why he had greeted the pair with so much hostility, as though he had completely forgotten when he had let them inside his home and treated them to tea.

“Your sister first.” Minseok pressed.

“Fine. My sister is taking a tour of the Lake District at present and I don’t see how that is the business of the Home office.”

“A tour of the Lake District? With whom?”

“With a friend. She should return in half a fortnight.” Kris appeared bored “Again, not really the business of the government, now is it.”

“I dare say it is the business of the government when she is traveling with someone wanted for questioning.” Minseok tried to gauge Kris’s reaction as he spoke the next words “Is she with one Cho Kyuhyun?”

“Kyuhyun?” Kris burst out laughing “Do you think I would let my sister take a tour alone with a man?”

“Then who is she with?”

“I am not going to tell you, unless required by law, which I very much doubt requires me to relinquish my sister’s travelling plans.” Kris stared at the two men, his expression cocky, looking self-assured as though he had just won the argument.

“Would you happen to know why your sister’s maid was found floating in the river this morning? Was that part of her travelling plans?” Minseok leaned forward, staring intently into the Comte Labeaux’s eyes “I do believe the law requires you to tell us what you know of this matter.”

“Her…maid?”

Minseok watched at the Comte’s strong façade seemed to crumble, his expression taking on a mixture of shock and horror “Which maid?”

“Angelique.” Luhan watched as Kris stiffened at the name. This maid, whoever she was, seemed to have quite the effect on him. First Minseok and now Kris. Just who was this woman?

“Where is she?” Kris stood up suddenly, “Where is her body?”

“We can take you there, but first tell us everything you know about your sister’s travel plans.” Minseok countered.

Kris sat back down, defeated.

***

“Victoria doesn’t tell me everything. She has always been that way.” He started slowly “I only recently arrived in the country. Her correspondence was rather short, not detailed.” Kris stared at the floor, he was a completely different man than the one who had so angrily greeted Minseok and Luhan almost an hour before.

“Please continue.”

“My sister does as she pleases. My Father always let her get away with anything.” A heavy sigh was heard before Kris continued “According to the servants she left a week ago, taking Angelique with her. She didn’t say where she was going, though knowing her she was chasing something she wanted. I can’t see another reason why she would leave the comfort of her home so abruptly.”

Minseok considered Kris’s words. Something Victoria wanted? Like Kyuhyun? Or the letter?

“Did Victoria associate with any of the more radical expatriates?” Minseok wondered if the woman had reason to steal the letter, to help further her cause.

“Victoria? Radical? No. Not that I am aware of.”

“If Angelique was with her, they are likely still in the city.” Luhan deduced, whispering the fact to Minseok, who nodded in agreement. The maid hadn’t been dead long – assuming she was still with her mistress than they would definitely still be in the city somewhere.

“Did she associate with anyone who had any criminal background or intent?” Minseok asked.

“No! Definitely not.” Kris shook his head “Victoria would never associate with criminals.”

Silence hung in the air for a moment before Kris broke the heavy air, “You are taking this rather well considering everything, D’Adderleigh.”

“What do you mean?” Minseok asked, not sure he understood the Comte’s comment.

“Seeing as the Mother of your children is dead you don’t seem very upset about it.” Kris stared at Minseok, unflinching “Which is another reason you owe me an explanation.”

“Mm..o..t..her of my children?” Minseok wasn’t sure he heard the man right. He must be joking.

“Pray, don’t pretend you do not know. It was bad enough of you to leave her like that.” Kris looked disgusted “If you were foolish enough to sleep with a maid you should have at least seen to it she had money to care for the resulting children.”

Minseok felt dizzy, very dizzy. What was this man talking about? Children? His children? Leaving the mother without funds?

“I..don’t know what you are talking about.” Minseok couldn’t recognize his own voice. No, he couldn’t recognize his own voice. The words were foreign.

Kris guffawed, “You are going to pretend you didn’t sleep with Angelique? Do you need to see the proof? Do I need to bring the twins in here?!”

“The proof…”Minseok felt dizzy.  A hazy memory, music and wine and years ago when he wanted nothing more than to loose himself away from everything. When his engagement to Sehun had ended, when his Father had died, when he had been ostracized from high society so coldly. When he was adrift in a world he no longer cared for. When one night he drank too much and there was comfort, a kind word:

“You are very handsome.” He could still hear her voice. She was pretty, and kind and his mind was so far gone, and…

 The room began to spin.

“Minseok, Minseok, Mins-“Luhan’s voice was the last thing he heard before he fainted.

--------------------------------

a/n- How about them apples? *runs away*

Thanks for all the upvotes, subs, and comments! I really appreciate it!