Chapter 20

The Crimson Feather

“What of Mrs. Page?” Jongdae held a wet rag to his mouth, trying to breathe despite the smoke billowing out of the house. The fire had been lessened by the fire brigade but was still burning.

“I dare say she was inside, sir,” the servant responded. “I was out to run an errand and the mistress was in the drawing room.”

Jongdae looked from the servant, a middle aged man who was pale and shaken by seeing his place of employ up in flames, to the house. Whoever had started the fire had likely done so to silence Mrs. Page, forever severing anything she might have known about Siwon and his involvement in the larger plot at hand.

“Do you need anything more of me, sir?” The servant asked, drawing Jongdae’s attention back to him.

“Ah, no. Thank you.” Jongdae walked away from the house, exhaling sharply as he stepped over crimson feathers, blowing along the walk and into the street. The case was starting to eat at him, to consume him, the perpetrators clearly taunting him. Always a step ahead, always able to silence a witness or to destroy evidence before Jongdae could uncover it. It was maddening. He spotted Minseok and Luhan standing near the edge of the crowd, wondering if they had found any clues he approached the couple.

“We asked around, and no one saw anything.” Minseok reported.

“Of course they didn’t.” Jongdae was starting to feel like he was going mad. First the death of Mr. Page, then Junmyeon’s accident, now this. His agents reported little to no new leads, his main suspects seemingly innocent.

“Changmin, Siwon, they are involved in this somehow,” Luhan said firmly. He was standing next to his husband, his face flushed, and his expression as grim as the other two men.

“But we can’t prove it,” Jongdae countered. That was the problem, he couldn’t prove anything. He couldn’t prove anything and he knew it was only a matter of time before something even worse happened -the letter was released to the public – likely changing the country as a whole. The contents would be fodder for England’s enemies, they would be fodder for those looking to overthrow the Regent. It would be a disaster that went far beyond anything Jongdae could help. He needed to stop it before it got to that point.

“It is as though they are always a step ahead of us,” Minseok sighed.

Jongdae found himself wondering – just how were they always a step ahead of them? How did they know that Junmyeon would get in the carriage that he had? How did they know that Minseok and Luhan would visit Mrs. Page that day? How…

“I think we may have a mole in the Home Office,” Jongdae whispered, gesturing for Minseok and Luhan to follow him away from the gathered crowd, away from those who may be listening.

“What?!” Luhan asked as soon as they were no longer under threat of being overheard.

 “Think about it- Junmyeon’s accident, Mrs. Page’s home burning down right as you came to interview her. Someone is watching us from within.” Jongdae felt like a knot had formed in his gut. A traitor in his midst? Who could be so brazen, who could he trust? “I hate to even imagine it, but all signs point to a mole.”

“Who could it be…?” Minseok asked, his tone mirroring the confusion that Jongdae was feeling.

“I don’t know, but from here on out you only discuss things with me – not even Junmyeon or Sehun or any of the others. Is that understood?” Jongdae couldn’t be too careful, not if what he feared was true.

 Minseok and Luhan nodded, looking scared and a bit lost.

“It shall be awhile before the fire is completely extinguished,” Jongdae looked back towards the burning building, “There is no sense in both of you staying now that everyone has been interviewed.”

“Are you certain?” Minseok was clearly worried. Minseok knew Jongdae so well, knew what the case was doing to him, and knew that the thought of someone working from the inside would have his mind in a panic.

“Yes, go. I have been asking too much of you both already.” Jongdae put a hand on each man’s shoulder, turning them around and gesturing for them to go.

“If anything happens send for us.”

Jongdae nodded, watching as the couple made their way down the sidewalk, Minseok glancing back twice, clearly worried.  Jongdae sighed. Minseok had reason to be worried, they all did.

***

Tao was hoping he wouldn’t be fired. He was supposed to be on his way to deliver a letter to the Earl of Pressley’s solicitor, instead he was standing outside Minseok and Luhan’s townhouse. He had the letter securely tucked in his jacket pocket, but it would have to wait to be delivered. He had to see Minseok.

He knew better than to try to use the front entrance, Kyungsoo would have his head for supposing he could go in the door reserved for the upper class. He made his way around to the service entry, knocking lightly.

“Who is it?!”

Tao tensed at the very un-Kyungsoo like greeting – it was harsh and full of suspicion and not at all the mind-numbingly formal method that the valet usually employed when answering the door.

“Tao. Is D’Adderleigh home?”

The door was thrown open, revealing a frazzled Kyungsoo. “Come in, hurry.”

Tao nearly tripped as Kyungsoo pulled him inside, slamming the door shut behind him and locking it.

“Is something going on?” Tao was seriously confused.

“I – no, maybe, I am not sure.” Kyungsoo led the way down to the kitchen, Tao trailing behind him.

“Who is it?” Jongin sounded just as out of sorts as Kyungsoo.

“Should I leave?” Tao was startled to find the twins seated in the kitchen, Jongin standing in the corner nearest the stairs, fire poker in hand, looking like he was ready to attack any intruder that may appear.

“No!” Kyungsoo and Jongin answered in unison, Tao finding the entire thing bizarre.

“Is, um D’Adderleigh home?” Tao repeated the question.

“No, he is out.” Kyungsoo made a gesture at Jongin, the other valet putting the poker back near the fire place. “Is there something you needed?”

“Um, well.” Tao scratched the back of his neck. Yes, there was something he needed but he wasn’t sure what. After twenty minutes of arguing with Sehun earlier that morning he had decided that there was no point in continuing to do so any further – his boyfriend wouldn’t listen to him. The only one that he might listen to was D’Adderleigh so he had made a point to come over at his earliest convenience. “I wanted to talk to him about Sehun.”

What he left out was why – he knew Sehun was hiding something, it was obvious. He was acting out of sorts. Tao knew it from the night Sehun had disappeared that something was going on and Sehun refused to tell him what it was. As much as Tao loved his boyfriend he knew he didn’t always make the best decisions, so the thought that he may be hiding something was eating at him, the fear that it may end up harming Sehun in the end flooding his thoughts.

“I am not sure when he shall retur-“Kyungsoo was interrupted when the sound of the upstairs door, or more specifically a pounding on the upstairs door, rang through the house. Tao watched the small valet scurry up the kitchen steps.

Tao found it odd that the upstairs door was locked, especially during the day. Something was definitely going on.

“They know of the children, sir!” Kyungsoo wailed, his voice carrying downstairs.

Tao tensed. Yes, something bad was definitely going on.

***

The moment that Minseok attempted to open his front door and felt resistance he knew something was wrong. It was locked. Kyungsoo never locked the front door, not during the day any way.

“Is it locked?” Luhan was concerned.

Minseok nodded, then began pounding on the door. When Kyungsoo opened it, Minseok tensed. He knew when Kyungsoo was upset and he most definitely was upset at the moment.

After stepping inside the townhouse, Minseok was treated to a tearful rant about the park and someone and the children and…

 “Kyungsoo, calm down.” Minseok put his hands on Kyungsoo’s shoulders. “Look at me.”

The valet sniffled, but seemed to calm.

“Now please tell me from the beginning, slowly, what occurred.”

Kyungsoo was able to relay the message with greater clarity since he had calmed down, Minseok listening carefully as the valet described a series of events. They had taken the twins to the park, where they had encountered the same man who had dropped off the package, alongside a blonde woman.  The man, Siwon, had learned that the children were Minseok’s – or at least that they lived in the townhouse. It was a frightening encounter, no wonder Kyungsoo was upset, Minseok thought. But one thing stood out to him.

“You said they called the woman mother?” Minseok asked slowly.

Kyungsoo nodded.

“Can you,” Minseok didn’t want to ask, he really didn’t, because he wasn’t sure that he could handle the answer, “Can you describe what this woman looked like?”

Kyungsoo rattled off her description, Minseok tensing. It couldn’t be, no – there was no way. He had seen her body for himself.

“It sounds like Angelique.” Luhan said it first, coming to the same conclusion as Minseok. “But it can’t be, she is dead.”

“Or is she?” Minseok asked aloud, fearful of the answer to his question.

***

Tao gave Minseok and Luhan a wide berth as they entered the kitchen, afraid to step in and further complicate what seemed to be an already complicated situation. Instead he hung back, watching as the married couple greeted the children. It was a few minutes before Minseok even realized Tao was there, his attention so focused on the twins. It was only when D’Adderleigh instructed Jongin to send a message to Jongdae, finally turning away from the children for a moment, that he noticed Tao standing on the far side of the room.

 “I am afraid I have come at a bad time, sir.” Tao would leave if Minseok wanted him to, he just had to say the word.

“What is it?” Minseok left Luhan with the children, crossing the kitchen he stopped in front of the servant.

Minseok’s question had Tao rambling, blurting out the reason for his visit. “Sehun is hiding something, I know it. He won’t tell me anything but something changed with him the night he was missing – the night he went in search of Siwon.” Tao found that he was wringing his hands, an unconscious action that perfectly conveyed the anxiety he was feeling. “I am worried that he may be involved in something dangerous.”

“Do you have any idea at all what it might be?”

“No, unfortunately not, sir.” Tao wished he had some inkling of what Sehun was on about, but he had none. “I was hoping you could talk to him, he may listen to you.”

“I will try.”

“Thank you sir, it means a lot.” Tao offered up a weak smile.

Minseok nodded. Tao made his way to the service entrance, feeling a little better now that Minseok had agreed to talk to Sehun. Hopefully he would have some success. Hopefully.

***

“What if she is alive?” Luhan was trying to understand, trying to comprehend what it could mean if the twin’s mother was not only alive, but somehow involved in the case. “How? We both saw her dead.”

“I don’t know, but you cannot deny that the description fits her.” Minseok said through gritted teeth.

Luhan looked on as Kyungsoo fed the children, the twins spitting up more than they swallowed.

“What did Tao want?” Luhan had almost forgotten that the man had even been there, his brain was so inundated with considering the possibility that Angelique wasn’t dead after all.

“He thinks Sehun is hiding something,” Minseok answered matter-of-factly.

“Great, Sehun is hiding something.” Luhan sighed heavily.

“I said I would talk to him, but I doubt that will do any good. I put something about it in my note to Jongdae.”

Luhan had watched Minseok write out the letter, detailing what Kyungsoo and Jongin had seen at the park. Jongin had left a half an hour ago to deliver it to Jongdae.

“Minseok, when this case is over I propose we retire to the country.” Luhan was ready to be done with investigations and muddled, confusing twists and turns and danger and all of the other things that got in the way of his time with his husband and (now) their children.

“Agreed,” Minseok sighed, “I completely agree.”

***

Sehun had thrown up once on his way over, thankfully he found an alley to duck into, the darkness of the evening was perfect cover, and didn’t end up with any remnants on his clothing. His stomach was a mess, he was nervous. When he reached the townhouse he almost turned back, unable to go through with it. But then he heard the Comte’s words, playing them back in his head. It was the only way to end everything, to close the case, to stop the madness that had injured Junmyeon and was threatening to do worse to the rest of the Home Office.

“Oh, great to see you, sir.” Kyungsoo narrowed his eyes, holding the door opened he looked as happy as ever to see Sehun.

Sehun brushed past the valet. He noted that the front door had been locked, he most definitely heard the click before Kyungsoo had opened it. Curious.

“Is D’Adderleigh in?” Sehun removed his jacket, handing it to Kyungsoo.

“Yes, though he is otherwise engaged at the moment.”

“Dare I ask doing what?”

“Putting the children to bed, the nanny is ill.” Kyungsoo gestured towards the drawing room, “Knowing you, you aren’t about to leave. You can wait in there.”

“Kyungsoo, can you bring some tea?” Sehun offered a small smile, the valet rolling his eyes but agreeing.

***

Minseok had heard Sehun’s voice and was curious why he was visiting so late. After getting the children to sleep, a trying affair, he crept out of the nursery, down the stairs, and into the drawing room. Luhan was already there, having been tending to Lisbeth and checking on Yixing and Junmyeon was a less time consuming task than seeing two toddlers off to bed.

“Sehun,” Minseok greeted, taking a seat next to his husband.

“Sehun is here on Jongdae’s orders.” Luhan remarked. He looked at Minseok, and Minseok could see just by the slight eye contact that Luhan was suspicious.

“Is that so?” Minseok took the cup of tea that Sehun handed him. “Why did Jongdae send you?” Jongin had returned hours ago from delivering the letter to Jongdae, a short note telling them to be careful the only response. It was strange to suddenly have him send Sehun to their house.

“I don’t think I need to tell you how splendidly the investigation is going.” Sehun sipped is tea, “He is worried something may happen to you two. He wanted me to check in, stick around if need be.”

“Like a guard?” Luhan quirked an eyebrow.

“Hm, something like that.”

“Sehun, I had a talk with Tao today.” Minseok tried to gauge Sehun’s reaction but the younger man seemed expressionless. “He thinks you may be hiding something. He is worried about you.”

“Worried about me?” Sehun scoffed. “Hiding something?! I swear Tao has the most insane imagination sometimes.”

“You aren’t involved in anything dangerous, are you?” Minseok narrowed his eyes, hoping that Sehun wouldn’t do anything foolish.

“No.” Sehun looked pained, “You still can’t trust me?”

“I didn’t say that.” Minseok was in no mood to argue with Sehun.

“Right, then let us drop the matter of Tao’s paranoia and speak of something else.”

Minseok didn’t press Sehun for anything more, partially because he was exhausted and partially because he knew Sehun well enough to realize when he wasn’t going to say anything more on a subject. They chatted for a half an hour more, about the twins, about mundane topics, when Luhan fell asleep.

“It looks like your husband has had quite the day.”

“Hm.” Minseok was debating if he should just let Luhan sleep on the couch, maneuvering him up the stairs was not exactly something he was thrilled about. Minseok was feeling absolutely exhausted himself. Yawning he felt his eyes grow heavy.

“Are you tired?”

Minseok heard Sehun’s voice but it sounded distant. His eyes began to lose focus, the world grew hazy. In a split second he was asleep.

***

When Minseok woke up he had a pounding headache. Opening his eyes he cringed, the light filtering into the drawing room making his headache worse. Then it hit him – he was in the drawing room. Why was he in the drawing room? The memory of the night before came back to him. Luhan, Sehun, and then….nothing.

Luhan was still asleep next to him. Digging his elbow into Luhan’s ribs he nudged him awake.

“Ow!” Luhan jumped up before closing his eyes and holding his head. “I feel terrible. What happened?”

“You fell asleep on the couch, apparently I did too.” Minseok froze when he noticed the tea cup lying on the floor, the contents half spilled on the rug. “And apparently I spilled my tea.” Something felt wrong, very wrong.

Luhan sensed it as well. “Sehun.”

Minseok rushed towards the door, fear coursing through him. He had to check on the children. Sehun wouldn’t hurt the children, would he? No, no, no, he couldn’t, he wouldn’t. Could he have done something else? Minseok had to check on the children, yes, that was his first priority. Then he would see if Sehun had perhaps rummaged through his study or done another idiotic thing.

When Minseok pushed the nursery door open he let out a choked sound. They were gone. Theo and Lilly were gone. Luhan was one step behind him, stopping in the doorway he gasp.

Minseok turned, nearly knocking Luhan over as he bolted down the stairs. “Kyungsoo!” He had to make sure the twins weren’t sitting in the kitchen or maybe playing with Jongin as he attempted to finish the wash. He took the steps two at a time, nearly falling as he made record time descending two flights.

“Sir?” Kyungsoo was standing over a ball of dough, flour caked on his face and up his arms.

“Where are the children?” Minseok was alarmed that they were not in the kitchen.

“In the nursery, sir.” Kyungsoo replied.

“No, they aren’t.” Minseok was starting to feel sick.

“What?” Kyungsoo wiped his hands off on his apron. “Where else could they have gotten off to, sir? They were there when I went to bed last night.”

“Did you see Sehun out before you fell asleep?” Minseok hoped Kyungsoo had, that the valet would report sending him into the night, no longer making it seem like he had done something foolish.

“No, you were deep in discussion, I didn’t want to interrupt you, sir.” Kyungsoo was starting to panic as well, looking close to tears as he stared at his employer.

The stomping of feet made Minseok turn away from the valet and towards the stairs. Luhan raced down the stairs, nearly falling as he explained, “They aren’t with Jongin or Lisbeth.”

Minseok clenched his fists. It had to be Sehun. He was going to kill him when he found him.

“We need to find them. NOW.” Minseok was seeing red, his anger so intense he thought he would explode. He nearly knocked Luhan over for the second time in ten minutes as he pushed up the stairs. He didn’t know where the twins were, but he would find them.

“I am coming with you.” Luhan called after him.

Minseok didn’t respond, he was too busy thinking of what he would do to Sehun once he found him.