Chapter 12

The Crimson Feather

Jongdae held up the small glass bottle, a skull and cross bones and the word “Poison” printed on the label. “Mathew Page was poisoned by a very high dose of laudanum. The cup was likely entirely filled with it based on his quick demise.”

Minseok had heard of laudanum before, it was an extremely popular treatment for almost every ailment under the sun. Aches, pains, babies teething, woman’s monthly problems, cuts – there was very little that wasn’t treated by the stuff. Minseok tried to avoid it after reading of its addictive properties, not to mention how he felt about drinking from a bottle that was clearly marked poison. Yet doctors near and far gave the stuff out like it was a magical cure-all.

“And we still don’t know who gave him the cup?” Sehun was leaning lazily against the bookshelf in Jongdae’s office, the other men occupying the chairs scattered around the room. Sehun had been appraised of the situation that morning, prior to the time Junmyeon, Minseok, and Luhan arrived.

“No one will admit to seeing anyone give Page the cup. It is beyond frustrating, old boy.” Jongdae was at wits end with the case. He was certain that the death of Mathew Page was murder, it could not be anything short of murder with the letter and feather found near the body. And it wasn’t only murder – it was a taunt for the Home Office, catch me if you can.

“I can’t help but think Kyuhyun and Changmin are both involved in this. Victoria too.” Luhan recalled Yixing’s words, about seeing a woman with a scarlet feathered headdress meeting Changmin at the exhibition. He shared the information with the others, watching as Jongdae pounded his fist on his desk in further frustration.

“I want constant tails on all three of them.” Jongdae ordered, catching himself after barking out the order. He realized he couldn’t expect the men gathered in the room to follow the suspect’s every minute of the day, not when they were already beholden to other obligations; in the case of Luhan and Minseok they had children to think about, in the case of Sehun and Junmyeon they were at the mercy of their parents and a plethora of social obligations they could not ignore. “I will assign men to follow them, but in the meantime I need you four to do some of the work the regular agents cannot. Junmyeon, do you think Changmin will object to your renewed friendship?”

“Jongdae, he knows I am working with you. There is no way he is going to want to see me in any way shape or form, especially if he is guilty.” Junmyeon couldn’t imagine Changmin wanting to socialize with him, not after it was made clear during the interrogations at the exhibition which side Junmyeon was on.

“It is evident we can’t take a direct approach to investigating these three.” Minseok considered what they could do to gain more information on the suspects without directly confronting them. “Should we try the club angle? Perhaps we could garner some information on their associates.”

“Changmin belongs to DeWards.” Junmyeon had met him there. Thinking he quickly rattled off, “I believe he also frequents Allards, however I don’t have membership there.” Allards was the top of the top in terms of gentleman’s clubs. It was also possessing of a rather stuffy environ, controlled by the old guard and their money, and of very little interest to those of the younger set.

“How does Changmin belong to Allards?” Minseok was confused. He couldn’t imagine how someone of Changmin’s relative newness in terms of wealth and social status would be allowed entrance.

“I think he said he was sponsored by….” Junmyeon tried to recall the name, but his memory was rather faulty. “I can’t remember.”

“My father belongs to Allards.” Luhan didn’t want to think about calling on his father’s connections, but it appeared that he may need to.

“Would he sponsor you?” Jongdae asked, unsure of how comfortable Luhan was in asking his father for a random sponsorship to the club.

“Yes, I believe so.” Luhan took a deep breath. His father would likely sponsor him, perhaps even Minseok, but he would need a good reason. Luhan would have to think of how best to pretend that he suddenly was enthralled with the upper echelons of society, half of whom probably already found him rather scandalous due to his behavior prior to his marriage to Minseok.

“Very good. Please work on gaining admission post haste. Now for Victoria and Kyuhyun…”

“What about Heechul? He knows Victoria, I am sure he would be willing to help if you asked him.” Sehun recounted watching as Heechul diffused the situation at the charity ball via his friendship with Victoria, it seemed to be a natural progression to have the man help observe the woman.

Jongdae colored at the suggestion. “Well, yes, that is a possibility.” He knew what Heechul would want in return for the favor which caused his mind to go momentarily blank lest it delve into the gutter instead.

“I believe that leaves Sehun and I to dig up dirt on Kyuhyun.” Junmyeon glanced at the younger man. “Will you be available to help?”

“Yes. My mother is doing much better.” Sehun had been homebound for the last couple of days, his mother coming down with an illness that had the family worried if she would survive. Thankfully her fever broke and she was much improved.

“Good to hear, old boy. Now where do we start?” Junmyeon’s question was directed at, knowing that Jongdae had been so focused on the man for the past few weeks.

“I suggest you start with those involved with his families business. I can provide a list that was complied, though I dare say we barely even scratched the surface in the last month of digging.” Jongdae had spent countless hours scouring through Kyuhyun’s connections in hopes of finding where the man had run off to.

“I think it is also pertinent for us to understand why Page was the target. He has come under fire in parliament lately. Junmyeon, can you investigate Page’s dealings? I trust Sehun to handle Kyuhyun’s connections with the help of Tao.” Jongdae didn’t miss how Sehun beamed at his words, proud that Jongdae trusted him.

Junmyeon nodded.

“Very good, old boys, let’s get this thing solved before we have to look at another body.” Jongdae prayed that their combined deduction skills would produce results, and quickly. He wasn’t keen on staring at another corpse, holding a red feather in his hands while waiting for the country to fall apart as the venomous letter spread like poison among the masses. If such a thing were to occur he would not be able to forgive himself.

After ironing out a few more details of their investigation Jongdae called the meeting adjourned, only keeping Luhan and Minseok behind for a moment.

“I hate to ask this of you, but would you mind going to see Page’s widow, to see if she has any idea who may have wanted to kill her husband. I would do so myself but I have a meeting with Soo Man to discuss the case and I don’t want the meeting to wait.” Jongdae appeared apologetic.

“It shall not be a problem.” Minseok assured his best friend, noticing how frazzled Jongdae appeared.

“Thank you. I don’t know what I would do without you.” Jongdae smiled brightly at Minseok, feeling an overflow of affection for his good friend.

“Hey, hey, hey.” Luhan interjected, slipping a hand over Minseok’s shoulder, “Remember you are talking to a married man.”

It had been at least two months since Jongdae had given up on his once strong desire to punch Luhan in the face. Suddenly he felt an old wish coming back to him as Luhan chuckled, amused at his outburst of jealousy.

***

Mathew Page lived in a fairly modest house, at least compared to the residences of the titled set. Minseok found the place rather quaint, a two story structure in an older part of the city that boasted a pretty window box of flowers and a half oval door.

Luhan took the initiative and knocked on the front door, a servant was quick to greet them. He bowed, taking the offered calling cards.

“We are here to pay our respects to Mrs. Page regarding her husband’s unfortunate passing.” Minseok explained.

The servant nodded, shutting the door he returned a couple of minutes later to let the two men into the house. Minseok and Luhan followed the man to a small drawing room, bowing deeply as they greeted the widow. Mrs. Page was dressed in black and it was evident she had been crying, she clutched a white lace handkerchief in her left hand as she offered a curtsy in turn, motioning for the men to sit.

“We are very sorry to disturb you during your time of mourning.” Luhan felt for the woman. The thought of losing a spouse was hard for Luhan to even begin to imagine. If Minseok was ever taken away from him he would be inconsolable.

“We are very sorry for your loss, ma’am.” Minseok added, holding back from reaching out to pat the woman’s hand in a comforting manner.

“Thank you, my lord.” Mrs. Page sniffled, dabbing at her eyes.

“Ma’am we are here from the Home Office as well. If you feel able we would like to ask you a couple of questions about your husband.” Luhan and Minseok had discussed how best to converse with the woman during the carriage ride over to the house. They hadn’t been able to figure out a way that would be anything but extremely direct.

Mrs. Page nodded, agreeing to the questions.

“Did your husband have any enemies?” Minseok started the questioning, observing Mrs. Page’s body language with interest.

“Enemies? Was he murdered?!” Mrs. Page’s posture stiffened.

“Yes, we believe so.” Luhan answered calmly, watching as the tears began flowing anew down the widow’s cheeks. “We are so very sorry for your loss.”

“He was having problems in parliament with two men in particular. Reformers.” Mrs. Page blew wiped her tears. “Lee Donghae and Lee Hyukjae.”

Minseok wrote the names down on the slip of paper he had brought along for note taking purposes. “Did they ever have altercations that turned violent?”

“Heavens no! My Mathew would never hurt a fly, my lord!” Mrs. Page held her hand to her neck, shocked at the suggestion.

“Did your husband ever use laudanum?” Luhan had to make sure that the poison wasn’t something that was already being used by Page.

“Laudanum…no, I don’t think so, my lord.”

“Can you think of any other people that might have wanted to harm your husband?”

“No, Mathew was so gentle and kind.” The widow’s tears increased, a sob wracking her body. Minseok and Luhan nodded at each other, realizing it was about time to take their leave. Any further questions would likely leave the woman in great distress; they had garnered enough information to begin investigating.

After another round of condolences Minseok and Luhan exited the drawing room, ready to take their leave. Luhan was nearly at the front door when he caught movement out of the corner of his eye. It was someone on the second floor, passing by the top of the staircase. Glancing up he noticed a man who looked vaguely familiar.

“Does Mrs. Page have a son?” Luhan questioned the servant who was holding the door open for the couple.

“No, my lord.” The servant answered.

Luhan didn’t realize until they were halfway home where he had seen the man at the top of the stairs before – or at least where he had seen someone who appeared very similar.

“Minseok, what was the name of the man who had a booth next to Yixing’s?” Luhan blurted out, scaring Minseok who was half asleep, resting his head on Luhan’s shoulder.

“Hm. Oh…Siwon, I think.”

“I think I saw him in the Page house.” Luhan was almost certain of it. How curious.

***

Heechul stared at the long green stalk, unable to hide his skepticism. “Are you certain this will work?”

Mademoiselle Beauchamp giggled. “I would have thought you would be the last person to ask me for such a thing, much less if it would work.”

Heechul scowled. “My lady, if you tell a soul about this I will not hold back from telling the papers about that time I found you in a tub full of chocolate with-“

“I won’t tell a soul.” Mademoiselle Beauchamp pursed her lips.

“How do you eat this?” Heechul sniffed the plant. It definitely smelled...plant like.

“You can have your cook put it in a stew or you can eat it raw.”

“What is it called again?” Heechul couldn’t remember and honestly didn’t care, he was only asking because he was concerned the woman who cooked for him would be too baffled by the green thing to figure out how to use it if it was not properly identified.

“Celeri.” Mademoiselle Beauchamp moved her hand in a flourish. “It is French.”

“French, how…wonderful.” Heechul put the green stalk back on the cloth that was lying on the side table, a bundle of the stuff brought over by the Mademoiselle. Heechul was in the process of carefully wrapping the cloth up in preparation to give to his cook when the drawing room door opened, Jongdae stalking in.

“Oh! I apologize.” Jongdae bowed to the Mademoiselle, seemingly shocked she was present. “I thought Heechul was alone.”

The mademoiselle stood, smiling brightly. “I was just leaving, sir.” She winked at Heechul. “Remember what I said, you can’t go wrong with it.”

“Get out of her you infernal woman.” Heechul shooed her out of the room, no longer caring what magical plants the Mademoiselle had – not with Jongdae currently standing before him. He shut the door behind the Mademoiselle. “Did you miss me?”

Jongdae rolled his eyes, taking a seat he launched into the reason for his visit. “I need your help.”

“My help? How interesting.” Heechul sat next to Jongdae, leaning close so there was barely a few inches separating them. Jongdae summarily scooted over.

“I need you to strengthen your acquaintance with Victoria.”

“You want me to get close to Victoria?” Heechul pondered the request for a moment. “How close?”

“Heechul!” Jongdae slapped at Heechul’s arm, knowing full well where Heechul’s mind had gone.

“Fine, not THAT close, I see. I am guessing you want me to amaze her with my style and wit and then pry her for information.”

“Yes.”

“And what do I get in return?” Heechul moved closer to Jongdae, reaching his arm out he rested it on Jongdae’s shoulders.

“I know what you are about to suggest.” Jongdae sighed, waiting for it.

“No, I dare say you do not know.” Heechul smiled innocently. He stood, moving over to the sideboard he retrieved the wrapped vegetables, ing them at Jongdae. “I only ask that you eat this, preferably before you see me next.”

Jongdae eyed the cloth suspiciously. “What is it?”

“Celeri. It is French. Great for your health. I want you to be healthy, old boy. Full of energy and all of that for our next date.” Heechul waited for Jongdae to take the package before sitting down next to his boyfriend. “I eat it every day, in fact.”

“Do you?”

“Hm.” Heechul leaned in, breathing against Jongdae’s cheek. “I also want a kiss.”

Jongdae didn’t protest the demand, turning his head he moved closer, Heechul doing the rest, wrapping his hand around the back of Jongdae’s neck and urging him closer. Their mouths slotted together, Heechul feeling his intense need increase with the contact. Jongdae was delicious to taste, delicious to kiss, delicious even if he was withholding the one thing Heechul desired more than anything.

Jongdae broke the messy kiss after it became evident Heechul had no intentions of stopping. Regaining his breath he panted, “So will you help?”

“Yes.” Heechul felt a bit dizzy from the kiss, the scent of Jongdae, the feel of him so close.

“Thank you.” Jongdae smiled, further disarming Heechul.

Heechul smiled back, feeling like the biggest fool that had ever walked the planet.

***

The carriage neared Minseok and Luhan’s townhouse, Minseok fully awake now. “We have an engagement at your parent’s house tomorrow, correct?” Minseok wanted to confirm it, knowing they had to convince the Duke to gain them admittance to Allards.

“Yes, dinner.” Luhan was still reasoning how best to bridge the topic with his father. Wanting to gain admittance to Allards would signal to his father that he was taking socializing very seriously, which wasn’t actually the case. “I am afraid that my father is going to make quite the spectacle over my request.”

“I had thought that may be the case.” Minseok knew the Duke well enough to understand that such a request would spark something in the man, indicating to him his son was looking for something that honestly his son was not looking for – at least to the best of Minseok’s knowledge.

The carriage stopped, Luhan and Minseok alighting quickly. Minseok had a mind to go see the twins. He had missed them during the day, leaving before they were awake. When he entered the house he was surprised to see Lisbeth walking down the stairs, the twins nowhere in sight.

“Hello, sirs.” Lisbeth bowed awkwardly given her position on the steps, smiling brightly at her employers.

“Hello. How are the children?” Minseok asked.

“Very fine, sir. They are napping, I was on my way to fetch a snack for when they awake.”

Loud crying sounded from the nursery, signaling that the twins were no longer napping.

“Oh, dear, I should go see them. Excuse me, sirs.” Lisbeth turned to hurry back to her young charges when Minseok stopped her.

“No need. Luhan and I will go see them.” Minseok bounded up the stairs, not waiting for any potential arguments from the nanny. When he opened the door to the nursery he found Lillian and Theodore sitting on the mattress on the floor, a bedding arrangement that Lisbeth suggested due to the safety it provided for the children. The children’s hair was adorably mussed up from their nap, a stark contrast to their distressed cries.

“Lilly, Theo.” Minseok rushed forward.

“Mama!” Theo whined, followed by the same cry from Lilly. Minseok tried his best to take the children into his arms, hugging them, as they struggled and cried out for their mother.

“Minseok.” Luhan was there, kneeling next to Minseok, patting Theo on the head lovingly. “We need to tell them.”

Minseok dreaded the task, dreaded knowing that he had to tell the small children that their mother was no longer a part of this world. He didn’t know how or when…and the cries for their mother continued.

“Minseok.” Luhan gently urged. He took Lilly from Minseok’s arms, the little girl cuddling up to Luhan’s chest and burying her face in his shirt as she continued to cry. Minseok cuddled Theo into his arms, rubbing his back.

“Where is mama?” Theo demanded in between sniffles.

Minseok felt as though the moment had arrived – he had no choice, really. Not with the children crying and asking for their mother. He couldn’t hold back, keep the knowledge away from them, not explaining where their mother went and leaving them in a continued state of confusion.

“Your father-“ Minseok still felt odd using the word, but he swallowed the awkwardness and continued speaking “Needs to speak to you. Will you listen well as daddy speaks?”

“About what?” Theo asked, his words muffled by Minseok’s shirt.

“About your Mama.” Minseok set Theo down, the boy perking up at the mention of his mother. Luhan did the same with Lilly, the two children rubbing their noses and wiping their tears as they stared at Minseok, curious what he had to say about their mother.

Luhan looked on, his eyes on his husband, knowing that what he was about to do must be one of the most difficult things he had ever done. He wished he could take the pain away, erase the heartache that plagued Minseok and the children. He wished it was him, it could all be on him.

“Mama.” Lilly said quietly, still sniffling.

Minseok swallowed, unsure of how to say it. Unsure of how to say something that would change his children’s lives forever. “Your mother, she is…” He felt the tears sting his eyes, “She is not here anymore. She has passed on.”

“Not here?” Theo looked curious, not sad.

“She has gone to heaven, to watch over the both of you.”

“Heaven?” Lilly seemed curious as well.

“Hm. Yes, a place where she um…” Minseok was at a loss for words, desperately trying to hold back his tears he floundered.

“Mama is somewhere you can’t go, not for a long time.” Luhan reached forward, patting the children on the head. “It is okay if you are sad. Just know she loves you.”

“Mama is gone.” Lilly repeated.

“Yes, she is gone.” Minseok answered quietly.

“Are you going to leave too?” Theo asked, the tears starting to fall as the young child processed what he was being told to them.

Minseok let his own tears fall, gathering Theo in his arms he patted his back. “I am not going anywhere.”

Lilly began to cry quietly as well, reaching out she clung to Luhan, asking him the same question.

“I won’t leave either.” Luhan kissed the top of Lilly’s head, hugging her tightly. The four of them remained like that for many minutes, the tears silently falling as they rode out their grief together.

---------------------------------------

Fun fact #1: Laudanum bottles were often marked as poison, yet were still widely used for medicinal purposes. I don’t know about you guys but I think I would find a new doctor if he handed me a bottle marked poison and told me it would cure menstrual cramps. It was also regularly given to babies who were teething. Good judgment, that.

Fun fact #2: Celery was thought to be an aphrodisiac during the Regency era. It was often called celeri at the time because making words sound all French like was fancy or something.

Fun fact #3: I cried while writing the part where Minseok tells the kids their mother is deceased.

Fun fact #4: I like writing the words fun fact.

This fic is a few hundred words away from 40k words, which quite frankly shocks me. Based on the length of The Masquerade I would say this is about half done, however due to the nature of the mystery this fic may run a bit longer than the first entry in the series. I hope you are all enjoying the mystery thus far!

Thank you to all of the new subscribers! Thank you the commenters as well – comments always make me super happy, seriously. And of course the up-voters, you guys need a basketful of puppies or kitties or animal of your choice. Much love- LC

PS Fun Fact: You can find me on twitter attempting to be funny or tumblr reblogging the crap out of Exo pics if you are so inclined. Come talk to me- I don't bite!