Chapter 13

The Crimson Feather

Luhan awoke with pain in his ribs, a shooting pain that intensified as he shifted his position. It took him a few moments to realize the source of his discomfort. The children. Any annoyance he may have felt melted away.

He sighed contentedly as he gazed down at the small child next to him, her foot pressed into his side. The twins had cried at the thought of Minseok or Luhan being out of sight, even for a moment, given the fact they had only recently learned of their mother’s passing. As their bedtime approached Minseok and Luhan had carried them into their bedroom, letting them sleep in the middle of the bed, hoping they would gain some measure of comfort from their nearness.

Luhan smiled at the sight of Theo, curled up to his sister, Minseok next to him, snoring loudly. It was a warming domestic scene, if not a bit of a messy, snore filled moment. He couldn’t be happier.

And then he felt the wet spot, the blankets were definitely moist. Glancing down he realized both children had wet the bed. A warming scene indeed.

***

Junmyeon had his valet dress him carefully, he wasn’t about to be shown up by the dandies that may or may not call the House of Commons home. He had a title to uphold, after all, not to mention the fact that he guessed most of the members of the Commons had more political knowledge on their pinky finger than he had in the whole of his brain. To put it lightly, Junmyeon was having a very classist struggle with himself.

Minseok had sent word that Page’s widow had reported his feud with two members of parliament – Lee Donghae and Lee Hyukjae. Junmyeon was tasked with finding out more about the pair, which involved a very deliberate trip to a well-known tea house that sat a block from the Palace of Westminster, the meeting place of the parliament. The tea house was famous as a meeting place for members of the both Houses, soaking up political banter while parliament was in session and remaining a favorite of the more politically minded set in between parliamentary sessions.

Junmyeon had attempted to interest one his friends in meeting him at the place, but they had claimed the early meeting hour would weaken their already delicate constitution. Some days Junmyeon wished members of his social class regularly got out of bed before two in the afternoon.

The tea house was buzzing with conversation as Junmyeon entered. He spotted an empty table in the corner, trying to appear bold he stalked towards his chosen place and sat down. Unfortunately his movements were too strong, the chair slipping as he tried to sit. The chair crashed to the ground, Junmyeon with it. The room grew quiet as dozens of eyes peered at him.

Junmyeon flashed a smile, standing, he righted the chair, wishing he could turn back time. He sat down, trying with all his might to appear inconspicuous as he waited for the serving woman to appear. As he waited he chanced a glance here and there at those gathered, curious if Lee Hyukjae or Lee Dognhae were in attendance.  He had a cursory idea of their appearance, a man with a wide face, the other with a thin face and high cheekbones. Junmyeon scanned the room, his eyes landing on two men that were seated together; a table’s length away from where he was sitting. He strained to listen.

Their conversation seemed to be rather harmless, one of the men joking with the other, both playfully scolding. If Junmyeon didn’t know better he would almost think they were flirting.

“Jun- Viscount Collingwood!”

Junmyeon couldn’t believe his eyes as he spotted Yixing, D’Adderleigh’s estate manager, weaving his way around tables as he waved. “Yixing?”

“I didn’t think I would see a friendly face here.” Yixing stopped in front of Junmyeon’s table.

“What are you doing here?” Junmyeon didn’t mean to sound rude, however he was truly perplexed to see the estate manager at a tea-house famed for attracting politicians.

“I thought I should have a real taste of the city before I went home.”

 “Ah, yes, of course. Please, sit.” Junmyeon motioned for Yixing to take a seat, partially relieved to see a friendly face, partially nervous about sitting with Yixing while attempting to spy at the two men who sat only a few feet away.

“I wouldn’t want to bother you.” Yixing appeared shy as he glanced at the empty seat.

“No, you are not a bother at all!” Junmyeon once again motioned for Yixing to take a seat, the estate manager finally relenting. “Are you going home soon?”

“I think I may extend my stay by a few days.” Yixing answered, looking about the tea room. “I have never been to a tea house before.”

“Really?” Junmyeon wanted to take back his words once he considered that they may sound slightly condescending.

“Ah, yes, my lord. We only have public houses in the village.”

“Please don’t call me my lord.” Junmyeon felt odd after speaking the words, he couldn’t recall another time that he had requested someone did not defer to him by his title or use the respectable address given his station in life.

Yixing seemed put out by the requested halt of formalities. The awkward situation was diffused as the serving woman approached, taking both men’s order. Junmyeon helped Yixing with his tea selection, after ascertaining how sweet the man like his tea.

“Thank you for your help.”

“Please, don’t mention it.” Junmyeon looked over at the table where the two men sat, solidifying his belief that the pair were the two men he was looking for. Yixing glanced over his shoulder to see what Junmyeon was looking at, sending Junmyeon into a panic.

“Do you recall when we were young and the Viscount’s prize stallion got out of the stables?” Junmyeon blurted out the first memory that came to mind, hoping to stop Yixing from drawing attention to them.

The tactic worked, Yixing turning his attention back to Junmyeon, displaying a rather puzzled look. “Stallion?”

“Yes! I believe we must have been no more than eight years old.” Junmyeon recalled how excited Minseok, Jongdae and he had been, running around the estate looking for the creature.

“I don’t recall that, sorry.” Yixing answered as Junmyeon picked up a bit of the conversation occurring at the table behind them. He could hear the words ‘election’ and ‘candidate’. Straining to hear more he once again piqued Yixing’s interest.

“Are you waiting for someone?” Yixing stopped short of peering over his shoulder once again.

“No!” Junmyeon exclaimed. Normally he would have been delighted to see an old friend while visiting an unfamiliar place…well, perhaps that was an overstatement. For some reason Yixing didn’t seem like an old friend to him despite their history together. He seemed like…someone else, someone that had an odd effect on him. Yet the fact that Yixing had arrived while he was supposed to be surveilling the two men meant that he couldn’t be properly happy (or flustered), not truly, to see the man.

The serving woman returned with their tea, setting the cups down she smiled at the pair, her eyes fixated on Yixing as she directed her words towards Junmyeon. “You have a very handsome servant, my lord.”

Junmyeon gulped. “No, he isn’t my servant.” He waved his hands out in front of him to emphasize the point.

“Oh. So a gentleman himself?” The woman winked at Yixing, who promptly blushed at the attention. A shout from behind the counter had the serving woman quickly retreating before she could further her flirtations.

“She was certainly friendly.” Junmyeon smirked, taking a sip of his tea.

“Yes, she was.” Yixing agreed, mocking Junmyeon’s actions. “It makes me a bit uncomfortable, if I can speak freely.”

“Is that so?” Junmyeon forgot about the politicians he was supposed to be watching, suddenly fascinated by the way a single dimple appeared as a hint of a bashful smile played on Yixing’s lips.

“I don’t quite know what to do when someone says something like that.”

“I am sure you hear compliments all the time.” Junmyeon immediately colored at his own comment, realizing he had entered dangerous territory. Was he…dare he admit it...flirting?!

Yixing shook his head. “No, I don’t.”

Junmyeon tried how best to recover from his flirtatious misstep. He decided downing his cup of tea was in order, not able to think of the words to recover his state of mind. He raised the cup to his mouth but somehow missed, spilling the tea down his shirt, staining his cravat.

“Are you alright?!” Yixing jumped up, looking on in horror as Junmyeon held the cup aloft and stared down at the mess on his otherwise pristinely white shirt.

Junmyeon slowly deposited the cup on the table as Yixing approached the serving woman for a rag. He returned quickly, dabbing it on Junmyeon’s shirt. Junmyeon stared, dumbfounded, as the estate manager hovered only inches in front of him. Junmyeon could smell his scent, make out the contours of his face, a stray mole here and there. The closer contact only made the situation more awkward, Junmyeon grabbing the rag away and hastily proclaiming, “I can do it!”

Yixing handed the rag off and took his seat, watching as Junmyeon dabbed at his shirt in an attempt to mitigate the spread of the tea stain. “I am sorry if I offended you, my lord.” Yixing’s words were stiff, the formality returning.

“I…” Junmyeon knew he had made a mess of things. He didn’t know how to extract himself from the worsening situation so he didn’t – not really. He acted the part of a coward, casting one more glance at the men he was supposed to be watching before announcing, “I must be going. I have an appointment. It was very nice seeing you. I hope you find the rest your time in the city very agreeable.”

Junmyeon bowed hastily and retreated from the tea house, not daring to witness the look on Yixing’s face as he left.

***

Jongin pinned the sheets to the line, humming a tune that he recalled his brothers singing as they rowed the river, a jaunty and curse word ridden tale of a barmaid left to her own devices after an affair with a rogue.

“Jongin!” Luhan seemed in high spirits as he called for his valet. Jongin turned to see the Earl approaching. “Is Yixing home?”

“No, sir. He left this morning. I believe he said something about sightseeing.” Jongin reported what Kyungsoo had told him, word for word.

“Is that so? Well, I shall have to catch him later.” Luhan had been waiting to talk to the estate manager regarding Siwon since the day prior, however the conversation didn’t occur due to the emotional state of the twins. The children were much improved after waking up, no longer visibly shaken by the news of their mother they happily played with Lisbeth. Luhan doubted they were fully over the loss, they likely would never be, but children’s minds worked in unexpected ways. They seemed less distraught, more accepting in only a days’ time. “Where is Kyungsoo?”

Jongin blushed at the memory. He had last seen Kyungsoo bent over a wash tub, cursing the name of every child ever born in the history of the world. Jongin didn’t bother pointing out that included Kyungsoo as well, keeping his lips sealed he bent down to help his fellow valet. That is when he noticed that Kyungsoo’s shirt had slipped ever so, giving Jongin a partial view of his chest. “I believe he is still finishing washing the bed linens, sir.”

“Ah, yes, very good. Thank you Jongin.” Luhan retreated back into the house, Jongin thankful his employer didn’t dare ask why his face was so red.

***

The Comte Labeaux sneered at the sight before him. His sister was seated in the morning room, playfully trading women’s periodical with Kim Heechul.

“I thought you had an appointment to ride in the park this morning?” The Comte didn’t enter the room, asking his sternly worded question from the comfort of the entry way.

“I didn’t feel up to it.” Victoria didn’t bother to look at her brother, shoving another periodical towards Heechul she giggled, pointing excitedly at something on the page.

“May I ask what you are doing here?” The Comte watched Heechul, finding his behavior most distasteful.

“I am here to see your sister. Would you like to gossip over dresses? You are welcome to join us,” Heechul held up the page of the periodical, moving his finger in circles over the drawing of a dress, he smiled sweetly.  “I am not sure if you will fit into the design but I dare say your coloring would look lovely in a pale green version of the garment.”

Kris stalked off, not bothering to provide Heechul the pleasure of a response.

“He can be such a stick in the mud.” Victoria sighed, passing another periodical to Heechul.

“I gathered as much.” Heechul had no doubt that the Comte was one of the least likable people he had ever met.

“I want to thank you for paying me a call, I rarely see anyone, not since returning to the city.”

“Is that so?” Heechul guessed as much, knowing full well that there was gossip aplenty about her time away and a supposed (which Heechul knew was very real) jaunt through the countryside with Kyuhyun.

“Yes. I suppose I am damaged goods now.” Victoria laughed, a rather carefree lilt to her mirth. “I know we weren’t very close before, but I hope we can be, seeing as you are one of the few people who dare visit me.”

“Damaged goods, young lady – whatever will you do?” Heechul wondered how much Victoria would tell him in a short period of time. Heechul had a lot of social experience, he knew how to read people, and Victoria seemed vulnerable to him – like an open book ready to spill forth all her secrets at the slightest prompt, at the slightest indication that someone cared and was willing to listen.

“I dare say not get married anytime soon.” Victoria sighed, flipping the pages of the periodical in a hurried fashion.

“Ah, yes, the marriage mart. Is there someone you want to marry? I shall need to know who I should challenge to a duel.” Heechul winked, waiting to see if his confidence was trusted.

Victoria closed the periodical, the paper rustling as she set the slim volume down on the table before her. “May I tell you a secret?’

“Of course. My lips are sealed, my lady.” Heechul made a locking motion with his hand held over his lips.

Victoria proceeded in a whisper. “I wanted very much to marry Cho Kyuhyun but he won’t have me.”

“He won’t? That rogue. ” Heechul tsk-ed.

“Hm. He says he isn’t ready for marriage. It isn’t the worst thing, however.” Victoria glanced towards the doorway, checking to see if anyone was listening she continued once she confirmed there were no eavesdroppers in sight. “My brother won’t agree to my marriage with anyone less than a viscount. Silly, isn’t it?!”

“How socially upward of him.” Heechul remarked. While Kris and Victoria belonged to a titled family, theirs was a titled family in exile – technically their titles were no more – destroyed when the people rose up and declared a new republic in France.

“It is all rather silly, isn’t it?” Victoria laughed, picking up the periodical she returned to discussing the latest fashions. Heechul moved closer, commenting on the dress styles he liked and those he detested, feeling as though he had achieved a very significant breakthrough with the Frenchwoman. He hoped her comfort level with him would only increase the more they saw each other; after all Heechul had a certain Home Office agent he needed to impress.

***

Sehun shrugged the jacket onto his shoulders, patting the front of the black coat he admired his reflection in the mirror.

“Are you certain it is the best time for you to be going out?” Tao stood behind him, brushing off the back of the coat.

“I have to help Jongdae.” Sehun’s answer was rather curt. Sehun didn’t miss Tao’s reflection in the mirror, his disappointed expression unmistakable.

“What of your mother?” Tao walked towards the dressing table, placing the brush on the table he turned around, leaning back on the heavy wooden table.

“She is recovering.” Sehun didn’t want to argue with Tao, not now. Not when he had to track down as much information about Cho Kyuhyun as he could as quickly as he could.

“I can’t help you, not when the household is in such disarray.” Sehun’s mother’s sickness had devastated the family and servants alike.

“I am aware of that fact.” Sehun faced Tao, crossing his arms he stared at the man – at his boyfriend, his lover, his family’s servant.

 Tao nodded. “Yet it doesn’t stop you.”

“Tao…” Sehun couldn’t speak his mind, not really, not without causing a rift between them that he didn’t have the mental capacity to handle at the moment. He couldn’t very well rattle off the reasons it was different for them, different for Sehun to resume his life as opposed to Tao. Why Tao, with his position in the household was needed while Sehun was free – no, expected – to return to a packed schedule of social activities. A packed schedule that also included aiding Jongdae and the Home Office.

“Go.” Tao waved Sehun out the door, apparently realizing any further words would end in a nasty argument.

Sehun walked out the door, not glancing back, not wanting to face the challenges that had followed them since the beginning of their relationship. Not when he had a job to do.

***

It was late afternoon when Minseok found the time to plunge into the tub of hot water, his muscles relaxing as the steam rose from the bath. He had spent most of the days with the twins, a blissfully fulfilling day. He was beginning to believe he knew them, understood their personalities, the way Theo looked when he was mad, the glare that Lilly directed at anyone who dared to upset her.

Luhan had been there too, throughout the day, which of course made everything better. Minseok was already beginning to sense a pattern; Lilly had Luhan wrapped around her little finger. When she cried she ran to Luhan first, when she wanted to be held it was Luhan she clung to, when she did something worthy of praise it was Luhan that she stared at – waiting for the kind words to flow.

Minseok found it endearing, after all, Theo was starting to cling to him in the same way. It was odd, Minseok considered, how each child had found their person. They didn’t lack affection for the other man, no – however they had definitely shown a preference.

Minseok smiled at the thought of the two children, wondering how much of their behavior came from him and how much of it was from their mother. He didn’t really know their mother, not really – not beyond a heady night of drunken passion. It was an interesting experience, to see ones offspring and guess how much of oneself was reflected in their burgeoning personalities.

Retrieving the soap he plunged it in the bath. In a couple of hours he would accompany Luhan to Luhan’s parent’s house. They would need to request admittance to Alwards, a request that may or not play out well.

Minseok was in the middle of moving the bar of soap over his chest when the door opened, Luhan walking into the room, softly shutting the door behind him. Minseok smiled at the sight of his husband.

“I thought you might get lonely.” Luhan winked, Minseok sighing.

“I suppose I could make room for you.”

“I wasn’t really asking.” Luhan grinned, Minseok rolling his eyes as he scooted up in the tub, giving his husband enough space to join him in the hot bath.

***

Kyungsoo had spent an hour washing soiled sheets, a half an hour arguing with Lisbeth about the shopping list and how impossibly difficult it was to obtain “small carrots, the kind children can eat easily” and another two hours ensuring there was no dust left in the front drawing room – all of which was in addition to his normal, packed routine of cooking, cleaning, and dressing Minseok. He was nearing a level of frustration that was sure to erupt into a verbal showing any minute when a knock sounded on the door.

Jongin was nowhere in sight, busy retrieving the laundry, leaving Kyungsoo to trudge up from the kitchen to answer the door. He straightened his clothing as he approached the door, not wanting to give visitors a bad impression of the family via a servant’s messy attire. Opening the door he choked back a scream, the Duke and Duchess of Hayden standing in front of him. Kyungsoo knew better than to say a word to the pair, only bowing as he held the door open for them.

The couple entered the townhouse, waiting for Kyungsoo to help them with their coats. Kyungsoo tried to reason why they were at the place, knowing that Minseok and Luhan were supposed to be at the Duke and Duchess’s house for dinner that night. It made no sense why they had stopped by the townhouse when they would be seeing Luhan and Minseok in a couple of hours.

“Is my son too busy to greet me?” The duchess queried, staring up the stairs.

“I shall send word of your arrival, your grace.” Kyungsoo bowed deeply.

“To think that he stands his own parents up after inviting them for dinner.” The duchess seemed slightly upset, Kyungsoo’s ears ringing over the fact the woman had said she was invited for dinner. Had Luhan messed up the invitation? Was the dinner party at their house? Kyungsoo felt like he would faint at the prospect, having nothing prepared for a dinner fitting the Duke and Duchess, his preparations for dinner modest due to the fact his employers would be dining out that evening.  

The Duchess’s eyes were still trained on the stairs when the sound of crying rang out from the nursery. Kyungsoo held the couple’s coats awkwardly, watching in horror as the Duke and Duchess glanced at each other, at the stairs, and then to Kyungsoo.

“Is there a child in the house?!” The Duke asked, clearly alarmed.

Kyungsoo swallowed, hard.

------------------

a/n- Poor Kyungsoo! Awkward much…

The next chapter will be *cough Xiuhan in a bathtub cough* be warned ;)

Thank you as always to all the subbers, readers, commenters, and up voters. I appreciate it! <3