Chapter 15

The Crimson Feather

Minseok tried to hold back his anger, stop from yelling in response to the outrage he felt at his father in law’s demands. Yes, he considered the request a demand – the Duke wasn’t truly interested in how Luhan and Minseok felt about the arrangement, he was dangling the Hayden fortune over their heads as a means to control them, to assert his authority over their lives even if they were married adults.

“I am not giving them Theo.” Minseok fumed as quietly as possible, his expression dark and unnerved as he stared at his husband.

“I agree.” Luhan matched his husband’s crestfallen gaze. He had excused himself alongside Minseok, taking their leave they had attained a sense of privacy by entering the deserted study.

“He honestly believes we would agree to that?” Minseok shook his head, “Why? What is his game?”

Luhan exhaled, his shoulders shaking as he did so. Disappointment was an understatement in terms of what he was feeling at the moment. He knew his parents would be upset about the children, because in essence they were of the lower class despite their father’s rank. He knew this but hoped his parents would come to accept the twins once they realized that Luhan and Minseok loved them, wanted to raise them, and accepted them with open arms.

“I don’t need their money.” Luhan spoke firmly. “We don’t need their money.” After all the D’Adderleigh estate was not a laughing matter, Minseok possessing his own wealth. Of course the loss of Luhan’s yearly income would be a blow but it would leave them far from penniless.

Minseok approached his husband, displaying a simple gesture he wrapped his arms around Luhan’s waist and hugged him. “I love you.” He whispered. The words had Luhan raising his hand to cup the back of Minseok’s head, his other hand finding the small of Minseok’s back. “I love you too.”

“I guess we need to go tell them.”

“Hmmm.” Luhan hated breaking the embrace but he knew getting it over with sooner rather than later would be beneficial in the long run. As they entered the drawing room, hand in hand, the Duke and Duchess observed them with a knowing look.

Luhan was the one to deliver their decision, Minseok watching as the Duke paled and the Duchess fanned herself.

“I am afraid I have no choice but to cut you off.” The Duke was terse, short.

“I expected as much, sir.” Luhan stood, offering a slight bow to his parents, not the full and respectful bow he was used to directing at his parents. His goodbye was formal but stiff, Minseok offering the same cold goodbye as his husband. As Luhan left the home of his youth he didn’t bother looking back, not wanting to acknowledge what he had decided to leave behind.

***

Junmyeon and Sehun were seated in their carriage, deciding a visit to Jongdae was in order post haste following Changmin’s announcement. When the carriage door opened, unexpectedly, the two men jumped in fright. Heechul scurried inside, plopping down next to Sehun he chuckled. “Quite the announcement, eh?”

“I would say so.” Junmyeon was still in shock, from the announcement and from hearing of his father’s involvement in the matter. When had his father even had the time to involve himself in such matters was beyond him. He was truly perplexed.

“I assume you know we are on our way to see Jongdae.” Sehun drawled, glancing at Heechul.

“Why else would I decide to spontaneously take a carriage ride with you two?” Heechul’s answer was rapid fire.

“Because you love us?” Sehun deadpanned, Heechul rolling his eyes in turn.

The carriage ride to Jongdae’s office was quick, largely due to the way Heechul pounded the top of the carriage with his fist, urging the driver to go faster. They made it to the white stone building in record time, Heechul hopping out first followed by the two other men.

They found Jongdae at his desk, pouring over reports from his men in the field. One look at the three men entering the office and Jongdae was dropping the paper in his hands. “I am guessing I am not going to like what you three have to say.”

“Likely not.” Junmyeon explained Changmin’s announcement, Jongdae responding with a whistle.

“He must have something to do with the murders. I can’t think otherwise.” Jongdae groaned, “Why can’t we find the decisive clue!”

“Perhaps Easton and D’Adderleigh have had some luck.” Junmyeon tried to remain optimistic despite the fact he was leaving out a very big piece of information.. He had failed to tell the others about his father’s involvement in Changmin’s announcement, wanting desperately to understand what was going on before he laid it on the others. Hopefully his father was duped into involvement, knowing no more than what he had said at the luncheon. Junmyeon wasn’t sure, but he also wasn’t prepared to cast suspicions at his own family when it could all be an innocent mistake. He needed to investigate, find out more, before he told Jongdae. Junmyeon had worried Sehun had overheard his father’s words about supporting Changmin but if he had he was hiding it as well, his lips sealed on the matter.

“I can call on Easton and D’Adderleigh and see if they have discovered anything of note.” Junmyeon offered, partially out of guilt for keeping his own secrets. Jongdae agreed with the suggestion, bidding Junmyeon to leave as soon as possible given the circumstance.

***

Jongin poked at the fire, swatting the smoke away as it blew in his direction. He coughed, sputtering. As the smoke cleared Jongin caught a glimpse of Kyungsoo entering the kitchen, a large pot of water in his hands.

“Let me help you!” Jongin dropped the poker, rushing forward to help Kyungsoo with his heavy load.

“I can get it.” Kyungsoo sounded upset, Jongin couldn’t help but notice the edge to his words.

“Is everything okay?” Jongin stood and watched as Kyungsoo hoisted the heavy pot onto the counter.

“Hm.” Kyungsoo didn’t seem to be in a mood to talk. Usually Jongin would comply with Kyungsoo’s moods, match himself to how much the smaller man wanted to talk or how much silence he seemed to desire. Yet…Jongin was feeling a tad bit brave. Perhaps it was the fact that Kyungsoo’s sour mood had come and went throughout several days, never quite clearing up, the raincloud over the man never dissipating even if he displayed a good mood for a few minutes here and there.

Jongin strode across the kitchen, not stopping until he was standing directly behind Kyungsoo. He wrapped his hands around the smaller man’s waist, pulling him into a back hug. “I don’t think everything is okay.” Jongin whispered, holding Kyungsoo tight as he struggled to free himself. Something about acting so brave had Jongin feeling confident, feeling like he should have done this ages ago.

“What are you doing? What if“. Kyungsoo kicked his leg back at Jongin, the taller man managing to move his leg out of the way of the attempted assault without breaking the hug.

“Kyungsoo, if you want to talk I am here.” Jongin breathed against Kyungsoo’s neck, relishing the close contact that he had wanted for so long, the close contact that he usually avoided because he imagined how Kyungsoo might react and it made him nervous. Somehow he wasn’t nervous now. If he had known it would be so easy he would have done this sooner.

“I don’t want to talk!” Kyungsoo stomped his foot down, but stopped struggling to get away from Jongin’s tight embrace.

“That is okay too. I know things are hard right now, I know things are changing, but I want you to know I am here and I will always be here- to help you cook or dust or do whatever you want.” Jongin loved how it felt, holding Kyungsoo in his arms, pressing the man against his chest, holding him securely.

Jongin felt Kyungsoo exhale and then relax against him. It was far from a total reciprocation of affections but it was more than Jongin thought he would get out of Kyungsoo given the nature of his sudden and unannounced physical contact.

“Kyungsoo, I really like you.” Jongin nuzzled into Kyungsoo’s neck, appreciating the way that Kyungsoo shivered slightly at the contact. “I really, really like you.”

Kyungsoo remained silent, letting his movements do the talking. He leaned back into Jongin, fighting an unsightly gasp at the way Jongin’s breathe felt against his neck. He could feel how strong Jongin was, how his arms held him so securely, so safely, pulling him close. He felt dizzy at the contact.

“Can I kiss you?” Jongin whispered, smiling as Kyungsoo nodded slightly. Jongin planted a light kiss on Kyungsoo, it would have been called chaste if it wasn’t for the fact the kiss was on the space where Kyungsoo’s neck met his collar bone. Instead of chaste it was oddly intimate and in some ways, at least to Kyungsoo, comforting.

“You have no idea how much I want to kiss you every day.” Jongin smiled into Kyungsoo’s shoulder, planting small kisses along his collar bone. “Sorry, it is hard for me to see you like this and not say anything…not tell you how I feel, how much I want to be here for you.”

“Are you drunk?” Kyungsoo gulped, knowing full well Jongin was completely sober. Yet he was confused how timid, agreeable Jongin had suddenly become so forward.

“No, just shaken at seeing you upset and wanting to let you know you aren’t alone – in a lot of ways.”

Kyungsoo was pretty sure he was blushing from head to toe as he digested Jongin’s words. They were sensual in certain ways.

A loud thud on the back door broke Kyungsoo’s embarrassment. He jumped out of Jongin’s arms in one fluid motion. “I will get the door!”

Kyungsoo wiped at his cheeks as he ran up the stairs, wishing he could wash away his embarrassment with his sleeve. Once he was at the door, the service door that sat near the kitchen – a place for servants to enter or deliveries to be left – he felt a tad bit better. And by tad bit better he only really felt less like giving into anything this suddenly bold version of Jongin might suggest.

Throwing open the door Kyungsoo narrowed his eyes. A man stood before him, vaguely familiar but he couldn’t quite place where he had seen him before. He was dressed in the outfit of a servant, though his looks said otherwise. His face was chiseled, dimples flashing as he smiled, his dark hair slicked back.

“May I help you?” Kyungsoo eyed the man’s attire, noting that it wasn’t bearing the crest of a family.

The man bowed. “I am here to deliver a package for the Viscount D’Adderleigh.” The man pushed a brown wrapped package towards Kyungsoo.

“May I ask who this is from?” Kyungsoo took the package, noting nothing out of the ordinary with the wrapping paper – the standard brown packaging and twine holding the package together.

“The Comte Labeaux.” The man answered proudly, bowing again and turning to leave without another word. Kyungsoo found the entire exchanged odd but he couldn’t pinpoint exactly why. Perhaps it was that vague familiarity playing in his mind.

***

Luhan tapped his finger against the carriage seat at a rapid pace, still not entirely over the frustration of his parent’s request.

“You are going to burn a hole in the upholstery.” Minseok placed a hand over Luhan’s, stopping his husband’s nervous twitch.

“It makes me so angry.” Luhan fumed, recalling his parent’s words. It was petty of them, cruel in many ways, not to mention the fact he had essentially just been disinherited for agreeing to raise the two most precious children he had ever laid eyes on. It sickened him.

“I know.” Minseok spoke softly, oddly calming in some ways. “I am disappointed but at the same time I think this makes us stronger.”

Luhan considered his husband’s words. Were they stronger? Probably. Every hurdle life threw at them they would overcome, together. “I feel some guilt that my parents are…so unquestionably distasteful at times.”

“Please, you are of no fault.” Minseok smiled, that crooked gummy smile that never failed to melt Luhan’s heart. “I hope you know that.”

Luhan never had time to answer, a crash reverberating from somewhere up the road. Luhan and Minseok reacted instinctively, both peeking their heads out the carriage window to see what had caused the commotion.

***

Junmyeon found himself clenching and unclenching his fists, only realizing what he was doing when a cramp shot up his arm. He was so engrossed in considering what his father’s actions meant that his movements were slightly involuntary. Worry engulfed him, doubt crept into his mind as he considered what reasoning his father had for supporting a man that was potentially a murder suspect.

Sighing, Junmyeon focused on what he hoped was good news. Perhaps Luhan and Minseok had gained entry to Allards or at least received a firm sponsorship. Perhaps they knew something about Changmin that he didn’t, something that would help him sleep easier that night with less suspicions of his father’s actions.

A sharp jerk of the carriage had Junmyeon looking out the window, noticing they were now on the road where D’Adderleigh and Easton’s townhouse was located. He would be there soon, hopefully receiving answers to put his mind at ease. Junmyeon stared out the window at the matching townhouses, the white stone, the casual passerbys out for a stroll, the affluent neighborhood slowly revealing itself to him as he pushed his anxiety to the back of his mind.

A shout from the driver was the only warning Junmyeon had before his world splintered before his eyes, a searing pain shooting up from his legs as a loud crash reverberated all around him.

***

Yixing clutched the parcel to him, careful not to break the small glass figurine he had purchased for his mother. He imagined her face when he presented the trinket to her, a small horse carefully crafted from one of the best glass shops in the great city. Yixing knew his mother would pretend like she wasn’t interested but marvel at the small token from the great center of commerce and industry that she could only dream of. He smiled to himself imagining it.

Yixing had spent another day sightseeing, Minseok not yet given Yixing his leave on account of his need for Yixing to identify the woman he had seen at the exhibition. Yixing would be nervous if it wasn’t for the fact he had complete and total faith in the man he had left in charge at the estate. An extended sojourn on Yixing’s part would likely act as a good training session for the man, allowing him an independence that was foreign when Yixing was present to field the more difficult questions.

Yixing was within half a block of the D’Adderleigh townhouse when he heard a commotion from behind him, close. He turned in time to see a carriage loose a wheel, careening out of control as the team of horses began dragging the splintered carriage along the cobblestones. The carriage was breaking apart, sending pieces of wood flying in all directions. Yixing gasp as the vehicle split in two in front of him, the driver thrown from the carriage and landing in front of him, his body twisted unnaturally. Yixing dropped the precious package he had been carrying, rushing towards the man. Blood began pooling under the driver’s head, Yixing blanched as he realized that the man was no longer breathing, likely killed on impact. Looking at the broken carriage he noticed a leg jutting out at an unnatural angle.

People were rushing towards the scene of the accident, crowding in amidst the blood and splintered wood. Yixing reached the carriage before any of the other pedestrians, gasping in horror as he realized he recognized the man that was lying amidst the wreckage.

“Junmyeon.” The name came out as a choked sob, Yixing reaching forward, brushing away the pieces of wood as he desperately tried to free Junmyeon from the wreckage. Yixing stilled as he finished uncovering Junmyeon’s body, taking in the blood trickling down the man’s face. Without another thought he scooped Junmyeon into his arms, carrying him away from the horrible scene. He was focused on getting him to the townhouse, away from the madness, somewhere where he could be seen by a doctor. So focused on his task Yixing shrugged off the hand that clamped down on his shoulder.

“Is that?!”

Yixing continued walking, only stopping when he realized who was speaking. It was Minseok.

“Junmyeon?!” Minseok took in the sight of his old friend, lying unconscious though breathing in Yixing’s arms. “Get him to the townhouse!”

Yixing broke into a run, holding Junmyeon close to him, scared for the man he held in his arms. Junmyeon had to live. He had to.

Minseok ran after Yixing, distraught beyond words. Luhan followed, only after he had time to notice a sickening taunt. Lying in the road, around the broken carriage, was a flurry of crimson feathers. They had come after one of his own and for that they would pay.

---------------------------

a/n- Those bastards! *shakes fists at anyone who would hurt precious Junmyeon*

Thanks to the subbers, up voters, and readers as always. Until next time <3 LC