Chapter 14

The Crimson Feather

His parent’s words still stung even after a good twelve hours had passed.

“Whose children are they?”

“And who is the mother?”

“When were you going to tell us?”

“You believe that raising the children of a serving girl is a good idea? You cannot be serious about this!”

Needless to say, dinner with the Duke and Duchess never happened, the pair leaving in a huff after Minseok and Luhan made it clear that the children were there to stay. Luhan had watched them go, a mixture of disappointment and regret at not having already told them intermingling into a sour mood, a dark cloud over the household.

Later, as the strong emotions waned slightly, questions set in. Luhan wondered why his parents had dropped by to begin with. He was sure the dinner party had been at their home, not at his. He wondered if they had grown suspicious of Lisbeth moving into the townhouse and decided to drop by unannounced hoping to uncover the situation at hand.

Minseok had taken their criticisms with a straight face, stoically defending his choices amidst their outrage. Once they had left Luhan had hugged Minseok to him, both men knowing they had an uphill battle before them where Luhan’s parents were concerned.

As the night wore on, Kyungsoo grumbling as he served a simple soup for dinner, Luhan and Minseok let some of their anger go, discussing the case of Mathew Page. Luhan had nearly forgotten that he was waiting to question Yixing, having been so caught up in the family drama caused by his parent’s visit. When Yixing returned to the townhouse later that evening Luhan made a point to talk to him, asking about the person who had run the booth next to his at the Wayside Exhibition.

“Rocks, his booth was focused on rocks.” Yixing had little more to report on, such as what Siwon’s last name was or who had sponsored the booth. Luhan didn’t let the matter drop, however, going as far as to write a quick letter to Jongdae, asking Jongin to deliver it in the morning.

The next day found Luhan and Minseok deciding a visit to the Hayden’s was in order, hoping that after a night to cool down Luhan’s parents would be reasonable. Besides, they also needed to ask for entry to Allards, despite such a request seeming to have a slim chance at succeeding given their recent circumstances. They decided to visit in the afternoon.

***

Junmyeon found the invitation to be rather fortuitous. His cousin, recently arrived in town and taken under his mother’s wing, had snagged an invitation to a luncheon at the home of the Baron Wellingly with the help of Junmyeon’s father. The important aspect of the information was who else would be in attendance besides Junmyeon’s mother, father, and cousin – half of the House of Commons would be attending the function as well. The Baron, Junmyeon discovered, was well known in political circles

Junmyeon made sure that his desire to attend was relayed to his parents, thrilled when his mother and father readily agreed. Junmyeon’s father even went so far as to commend Junmyeon’s recent interest in politics, considering his own interest hinted at having grown with the Page fiasco.

The luncheon was being held in the sumptuous residence of the Baron and the guest list was close to one hundred people. It was not a small affair by any means, at least not by luncheon standards. Junmyeon and his family arrived promptly at three o’clock, his cousin staying close to his mother as they drifted off to converse with the matrons in attendance.

Junmyeon wandered out to the vast patio where tables and chairs had been set up, the white furniture contrasting the deep and lush lawn, giving the place an airy and summer like feel. Scanning those already in attendance Junmyeon found that his luck had only increased. Sitting at a far table were Heechul, The Comte Labeaux, and Victoria. He also spotted Changmin standing and talking to the host.

“Is your investigation that disappointing that you need to find excitement at luncheons?”

Junmyeon turned around, facing Kyuhyun. The man was smiling widely, seemingly pleased with his jab at the Home Office.

“Good day to you too.” Junmyeon deadpanned, not amused.

“Ah, is that not Shim Changmin?” Kyuhyun stared over Junmyeon’s shoulder, “I do wonder what he is doing here.”

“You two seem to find each other at the same functions quite often.” Junmyeon remarked, noting that they were both at the gala, at the exhibition, and now at the luncheon.

“Society works in mysterious ways, doesn’t it?” Kyuhyun placed a hand on Junmyeon’s shoulder, winking he pushed past him. Junmyeon watched as Kyuhyun approached Changmin, curious if a fight would ensue. Curiously enough Changmin didn’t seem angry with Kyuhyun, even offering him a small wave as he approached.

“Please tell me I am not the only one confused at how two men who were mortal enemies are now chatting like old friends.” Sehun sidled up to Junmyeon; Junmyeon had known Sehun was attending thanks to a note sent over from the younger man once he found out Junmyeon’s family was on the guest list.

“They are exceedingly suspicious.” Junmyeon agreed. He wondered if the next thing that would occur would have the Comte walking over to the chatting pair and offering up a reconciliatory hug. Thankfully for Junmyeon’s mental state that did not occur, a definite sneer evident on Kris’s face as he spotted Kyuhyun. At least some things still made sense.

“How has your investigation of Kyuhyun’s family been going?” Junmyeon questioned Sehun, lowering his tone lest anyone would overhear them.

“Jongdae was not kidding when he said they barely scratched the surface of their business dealings in the last couple of months. Their contracts are complicated, their business partnerships even more so. It doesn’t help that they do business that spans half of the globe.”

“Hopefully you find something soon, or the man slips up somehow.” Junmyeon explained to Sehun what he had overheard the day prior when observing Lee Hyukjae and Lee Donghae, which didn’t amount to much. He left out what had happened concerning Yixing- namely his own intense embarrassment at spilling tea all over himself and then running away once Yixing got close to him.

“Are they here now?” Sehun referred to the two politicians that Junmyeon had been watching the day prior. Junmyeon nodded towards a table, “They are sitting there. “

“They certainly don’t look like politicians.” Sehun considered.

“What does a politician look like?” Junmyeon wondered aloud. He felt so out of his element amongst the many politically minded people in attendance.

“I don’t know. Old?” Sehun wasn’t quite sure himself. His experience with either House was limited to meeting titled older men who held court in the House of Lords when it suited them, not the campaigning type and most certainly not the type who called for reforms or spouted anything less than what was better for business or their fortune.

“Perhaps we should sit.” Junmyeon suggested, Sehun trailing behind him as the strains of music played from the small band on the patio indicated that lunch would be served soon.

***

“Your brother has interesting ideas of what constitutes a good time.” Heechul teased under his breathe, Victoria stifling a giggle and slapping at his arm playfully.

“I am only happy the Baron agreed to my invitation.”

“Perhaps he is looking for a wife?” Heechul suggested, Victoria scrunching up her nose to show her distaste with the suggestion.

“Comte, when did your interest with politics begin?” Heechul couldn’t stop himself from asking, curious how Kris would respond.

“I am here to support Changmin, my lack of interest in politics notwithstanding.” Kris drawled, not bothering to look at Heechul when he answered.

“They pretend they are great friends.” Victoria whispered.

“Are you not the one who gave him the idea of marriage?” Kris whirled around, sending a sour look at his sister. Victoria rolled her eyes.

“Oh, so you were to marry Changmin as well? Pray tell, how large was your harem to be Miss Victoria?” Heechul nudged at the woman, who mouthed to drop the subject. Heechul didn’t pry further, knowing when he had said too much, at least at the moment.

***

Junmyeon tried to seem interested in his lunch, interested in Sehun’s banter with his cousin, and interested in his Father’s discussion with the Baron, who rather surprisingly decided to sit at their table. Junmyeon kept an eye on the Comte’s table, also periodically looking over to where Donghae and Hyukjae sat as well as the table where Kyuhyun plopped down next to Changmin. He couldn’t hear their conversations, however, so the most that he was able to garner from his observations is that Kyuhyun really liked wine and the Comte never looked happy, even when eating.

“The announcement should be very soon.” The Baron was speaking to Junmyeon’s father, the word announcement making Junmyeon perk up.

“What announcement, my lord?” Junmyeon interjected, earning a reprimanding look from his father for butting into the conversation.

“Ah, you shall see, old boy.” The Baron pulled out his pocket watch, glanced over his shoulder and then turned back to Junmyeon’s father. “Actually, I dare say it is beginning now.”

Junmyeon watched as Changmin stood, walking towards the midpoint of the patio he held his wine glass aloft, clanking it with a fork – the resulting noise loud enough to gain the attention of many of those gathered. The Baron rose, walking towards Changmin he also made some commotion, asking the guests to please listen. After everyone’s attention was focused on the two men Changmin began to speak, his tone steady and confident.

“Thank you everyone for attending this luncheon, hosted by the ever gracious Baron Wellingly.” Changmin bowed toward the Baron before continuing, “A very tragic event occurred a few days ago, and I dare say I do not need to mention the details. As much as the event has led to deep mourning, rightfully so, it is also time for the House to move forward, showing all due respect to the deceased while understanding that one must not allow grief to paralyze the wheels that keep this grand country going. Therefore I would like to announce, formally, my candidacy for the House of Commons, assuming the seat for the borough of Westover.”

Junmyeon had to focus every fiber of his being in order not to gasp, appear shocked, or otherwise draw attention to himself – relaying how surprised he was at the announcement. So Changmin was running for Mathew Page’s seat in the House? How convenient. Junmyeon glanced across the table at Sehun, noting his wide eyes.

Still in shock, Junmyeon made a conscious effort to focus, listening to the rest of Changmin’s speech, a drawn out and carefully crafted statement. After Changmin had completed his speech, the crowd burst into applause, Junmyeon finding himself awkwardly clapping so he wouldn’t raise any suspicions.

“I dare say I have made a good investment.” Junmyeon’s father took a sip of wine, beaming as he watched Changmin receive the group of well-wishers who surged forward.

“What?” Junmyeon was confused. Investment?

“Ah, the Baron relayed Mr. Shim’s desire to run for parliament and I offered my support. We need more young men with strong convictions in the lower house.”

“You support him?!” Sehun blurted out, realizing his mistake when the Earl scowled at him.

“I support those that will work to better this country, yes. Especially against the reformers.”

“May I ask, sir, how your support is …how it works?” Junmyeon needed to understand more of the inner workings of parliament, and fast.

The Earl, Junmyeon’s father, leaned forward, answering quietly, “You do know everything can be bought, son – that logic applies to the lower house as well.”

Junmyeon couldn’t believe what he was hearing. His father had all but bought Shim Changmin a seat in parliament?! When, how?! Changmin, who may very well be involved in Mathew Page’s murder? Who may or may not be working hand in hand (or the person himself) who had killed Angelique and spread the letter?! This was not good, not good indeed. While Junmyeon lacked concrete proof of Changmin’s involvement, there was enough suspicion surrounding the man that the thought of him holding political office left a bitter taste in Junmyeon’s mouth.

“Father, if Changmin is fighting against the reformers, why are they here?” Junmyeon nodded towards where Donghae and Hyukjae sat.

“Politics is complicated son, which is why we need to have qualified individuals do the work for us.” The Earl explained, seemingly satisfied with his own logic.

***

Minseok was so engrossed in arranging the children’s toys in the small toy box that Luhan had purchased that he didn’t hear his husband approach. He jumped in surprise as he felt hands snake around his waist, pulling him into a back hug.

“I like how you look when you pick up toys.” Luhan whispered into Minseok’s ear, hugging him close.

“You like how I look no matter what I do.” Minseok responded struggling to free himself so he could go about his task.

“True.” Luhan agreed, letting Minseok go, but not without a playful slap on the behind and a quick kiss on the cheek first.

“What are you doing?” Lilly asked, pointing her tiny hand at Minseok and Luhan.

Minseok flushed. He had almost forgotten the children were still in the nursery. They had retreated to the far end of the room, Lisbeth putting them down for a nap before leaving to fetch their freshly washed clothing. Minseok had taken it upon himself to pick up a bit, still not entirely comfortable with leaving all of the work to the nanny.

Luhan laughed, He crouched down, holding his arms open, Lilly toddling towards him, allowing herself to be swept up in his arms. “I was telling your Daddy how much I love him.”

Lilly mumbled, “Do you love Lilly?”

“Of course!” Luhan chuckled, ruffling her hair. “I will love you more if you sleep.”

Lilly pouted but listened, tottering off towards the mattress once Luhan set her down.

“We should get going soon.” Luhan was not looking forward to facing his parents, but it had to be done.

Minseok nodded, “After I finish here we will go.”

***

The Duke and Duchess of Hayden’s home was as intimidating looking as the couple themselves – all formality and might, the very sight of the place invoking the word wealthy.

Minseok and Luhan alighted the carriage and approached the front door, Luhan knowing full well they were expected. He had sent word earlier that morning, Jongin visiting the home with a carefully crafted and rather formal letter from Luhan.

The front door opened on cue, the family butler bowing as the two men entered, taking their coats he directed them to the larger of the home’s drawing rooms.

Minseok felt the knot in his stomach, the knot that had been forming since the Duke and Duchess had first found out about the twins and let loose, growing. His stomach ache accompanied his rapidly beating heart as he walked beside Luhan to the drawing room, his nerves going haywire as he approached what was most likely to be a very tense conversation.

A maid opened the door, Luhan and Minseok entered and bowed stiffly and formally.

“Please, sit.” The Duke gave the order, gesturing to the red velveteen sofa.

“I trust you have been well.” The Duchess sounded aloof, exchanging words only to appear polite.

“Yes, very well. And you?” Luhan answered, making sure to sit as close to Minseok as decorum would allow.

“Very well.” The Duchess stared at her husband, waiting.

Minseok and Luhan sat, waiting for Duke to make the first move.

“Your mother and I would like to offer a proposal.” The Duke was not bothering to make eye contact with Minseok, his words apparently directed at Luhan. “I apologize for our shock yesterday, however you must admit that discovering you are raising children does require some getting used to.”

“I am sorry we did not tell you.” Minseok spoke up, knowing full well in one way or another it was all his fault.

“Ah, well. “ The Duke cleared his throat, “We are more than willing to accept the children on one condition. We would like to make the boy an heir to the Duchy of Hayden.”

“The heir?” Luhan was honesty surprised that his father was so willing to do so. Of course once Luhan adopted the twins he would pass on the title to one of them, yet Luhan was well aware that his father was not talking about the title of Duke as much as he was talking about the associated fortune. His father had the power to deny Luhan all monies, pass on only the title, and Luhan was well aware of this fact. To claim he wanted to name one of the twins an heir really meant that he was willing to pass on the family fortune, not pull it away from Luhan due to his own anger at the thought of his son raising Minseok’s children. It was a measure of control – control via money, something the upper classes excelled in.

“The offer is contingent on your agreement that the boy will be sent here to be raised, and his education will be at our discretion.”

“What?!” Minseok couldn’t help but blurt out the word, shocked. Give Theo up to the Duke and Duchess in exchange for the fact he would someday bear Luhan’s family title?! Minseok knew how Luhan had grown up, how distant his parents had been. He had been privy to Luhan recalling his childhood more than once, his husband lying in bed late at night and explaining what it was like to have parents that were little more than strangers – to care for a nanny more than he cared for his own mother.

“I suggest that you accept the offer, considering the fortune that is at stake. I fear that to do otherwise may mean the fortune will be forfeited.” The Duke tented his hands, waiting for an answer.

Minseok looked at Luhan, hoping to see his own outrage mirrored on his husband’s face. Instead he was faced with Luhan, expressionless as he stared at his father.

“I need to discuss this with my husband.” Luhan spoke, reaching his hand out he grasp Minseok’s in his own, squeezing.

--------------------------

a/n- See, it isn’t that bad….I mean, other than Luhan being potentially penniless or one of the twins being sent away. *fine it is bad sobs*. How about that Changmin running for parliament *cough having his seat all but guaranteed* Fishy….

Thanks to all the new subbers, the readers who have stuck with this since the beginning, the upvoters and the commenters. Let me know what you think of the story, good or bad. - <3