Chapter 16

The Crimson Feather

Yixing carried Junmyeon into the townhouse, shouting for Kyungsoo and Jongin as he took the steps as quickly as he could while keeping the injured man as still as possible. The valet’s rushed up from the kitchen at the same time Minseok and Luhan ran in through the front door.

Yixing heard Minseok instruct one of the servants to fetch a doctor, but he didn’t stop to see who had ordered the command. He had to get to a bed, somewhere where he could put the injured man down. Yixing wasn’t sure where that place should be so he went to the one place he was sure was available – his room. Setting Junmyeon down on the bed gently he began a quick visual examination. Junmyeon’s leg was limp, it looked to be broken for sure. He was bloody, but Yixing couldn’t see where the blood was coming from.

Minseok and Luhan rushed into the room as Yixing was propping an extra pillow under Junmyeon’s head.

“Oh god. “Minseok paled at the sight of an unconscious Junmyeon. His friend appeared to be injured rather terribly, the blood and the way his leg hung there making him look like a broken doll. Minseok took comfort in the fact that he was breathing.

Kyungsoo appeared with a tub of water and a rag, helping Yixing to take Junmyeon’s jacket off and untie his cravat. Minseok stood at the side of the bed, watching, until Luhan pulled him away.

“Minseok, we need to talk.” Luhan led Minseok from the room, as soon as they were out of earshot of the others he produced one of the crimson feathers he found at the scene of the accident.

Minseok’s eyes widened as he stared at the feather. “It wasn’t an accident.”

“Appears that way.” Luhan gritted his teeth. “They are after us now.”

Minseok felt the anger course through him. So someone had caused the crash that had injured Junmyeon? A taunt, a violent taunt – no, this was no longer taunting, it was outright threatening. Junmyeon could have been killed in the accident, in fact, god forbid, he might not survive. Minseok exhaled sharply. “We need to send for Jongdae.”

“I will go. Stay with him.” Luhan placed a hand on Minseok’s’ shoulder.

“Be careful.” Minseok pleaded, no longer sure that anyone of them was safe. Luhan nodded, planting a kiss on Minseok’s lips before he darted down the stairs. Minseok watched him go, terrified for all of them.

***

Yixing watched as the surgeon finished examining Junmyeon. The estate manager hadn’t left the room, not daring to step out lest Junmyeon’s condition changed.

“His leg is broken and will need to be set.” The elderly doctor, one of the best in the city, rattled off his diagnosis. “He had a nasty cut to the head, but I think it will heal if I stitch it. He is bruised, and his leg won’t be out of the woods even if I set it. An infection may set in. Bloodletting will probably be needed.”

Minseok was standing next to Yixing, his lips pursed as he listened to what the surgeon had to say. “Do what you need to do, please.”

“I will need help setting his leg.” The surgeon looked at the two men, noticing Yixing looked less disturbed at the thought of aiding in setting the broken bone, he pointed at the estate manager. “I need you to take hold of his leg and pull while I snap it back into place.”

Yixing nodded. He had seen plenty of broken bones in his life, working on the farms at the D’Adderleigh estate – farm work and farms in general were far from injury free, people and animals alike succumbing to injuries now and again. Even after a lot of experience it wasn’t an easy thing to take in, twisted limbs, the screams of pain from those who had to remain motionless as a doctor twisted their limbs back into place. It was for the best Junmyeon was still unconscious, hopefully he wouldn’t wake up while the bone was being set.

“Sir, the Viscount’s parents are here.” Kyungsoo peeked his head in, letting Minseok know that Junmyeon’s parents had arrived. Jongin had been asked to run to their home after fetching the surgeon, they needed to be alerted to what had happened to their son.  Minseok nodded at Kyungsoo. “Yixing, if you need help please yell.”

Yixing nodded, thankful that Minseok closed the door after him – if Junmyeon awoke during the procedure his screams would likely be deafening. The surgeon beckoned Yixing closer, giving him instructions on how to hold the leg and when to pull. Yixing placed his hands firmly on Junmyeon’s leg, a stab of anguish hitting him at how cold Junmyeon felt. Kyungsoo had helped to strip off his trousers, allowing the doctor to examine him without the barrier caused by clothing. Yixing felt his heart tighten at the sight of Junmyeon, unconscious, injured, and so very cold.

The surgeon went about his task, barking out orders as he positioned his patient and began working to move the leg into place, pushing against the resistance caused by Junmyeon’s own muscles. Yixing pulled when he was told to, a loud crack sounding as Junmyeon’s leg snapped back into place. The pain jolted the man wake, a blood curdling scream escaping Junmyeon’s lips as his leg was set.

Yixing let go of Junmyeon’s leg, moving to place his hands on Junmeyon’s shoulders he spoke. “Junmyeon, it is okay. Junmyeon, you are going to be okay.”

Junmyeon stared back, wild eyed, then wincing in pain, his entire body contracting as his conscious state took in the unbearable pain he was in.

“Sir, I have set your leg.” The surgeon bent over his patient. “I need to stitch that cut on your head. Can you lay still for me?”

Yixing watched as the tears began streaming down Junmeyon’s cheeks, the pain too much. He sat on the edge of the bed, cautiously he slipped his hand into Junmyeon’s, feeling the injured man grab onto his hand tightly. He held his hand there while the surgeon went about the rest of his work, stitching the wound on Junmeyon’s head before issuing small cuts to his arm to let some blood escape.

When the surgeon declared his work complete, issuing instructions for care to Yixing, the estate manager thanked the surgeon profusely. He didn’t dare sit up, Junmyeon still hanging onto him tightly, his eyes shut. Once the physician was gone Yixing tried to soothe Junmyeon, letting him know he wasn’t alone. “I won’t leave, Junmyeon, I won’t leave.”

***

Minseok thanked the surgeon, paying him and taking note of the care instructions. Junmyeon’s parents were waiting in the drawing room, they rushed out when they caught sight of the doctor. Peppering the man with questions they were told that their son needed rest, that it was best not to disturb him at the moment. Junmyeon’s mother appeared worried at the thought of leaving her son at Minseok’s home, Minseok wasn’t sure if that was because she thought it would be a burden on him or if it was because she didn’t exactly like him. It didn’t really matter because the doctor said he could not be moved for the time being. Junmeyon’s parents left shortly after, vowing to return the next day.

Minseok made his way to the kitchen, where Jongdae and the others were waiting. They had spent the last hour examining the scene of the accident and interviewing witnesses, half a dozen of Jongdae’s men were still scouring the scene.

“Is he okay?” Jongdae and Luhan bolted upright when Minseok walked into the room.

“Yes. His bone is set, his wound stitched and they let some blood. He will need to stay here for the time being. Yixing is with him now.” Minseok didn’t have the current mental capacity to wonder when Yixing and Junmyeon had rekindled their friendship, which by all accounts had faded away as they grew into adulthood; he was only able to focus on his gratitude towards Yixing for so steadfastly offering to care for the wounded man.

“Do I want to know what you found?” Minseok leaned against the counter, feeling exhausted from the events of the day.

“The axle of the carriage was tampered with, the driver is dead so we can’t ask him.” Sehun reported matter-of-factly. “The feathers had been placed along the under carriage, whoever did it knew that once the accident occurred they would be let loose.”

“Those bastards.” Luhan muttered.

“Sir, I don’t know if this is important but a package came for you today, from the Comte.” Having been privy to the conversation as he tended to the very late dinner preparations, Kyungsoo suddenly recalled the odd encounter from earlier that day.  Kyungsoo retrieved the package from where he had placed it near the service entry. “It felt…a tad bit suspicious, sir.”

Luhan, Jongdae, Heechul, and Sehun crowded around Minseok as he took the package, everyone eyeing it with suspicion.  Minseok pulled at the twine and brown wrapping paper, pushing it away he stared down in horror at the contents. It was a stack of paper. A stack of paper that, at first glance, seemed to be an exact copy of the incriminating letter. Minseok flipped the papers, finding that each was a copy, dozens and dozens of perfectly printed copies of the letter.

“My word, is that a date?!” Sehun pointed to a corner of the first page, Minseok reading it aloud. It was five days from that day, five days – five days until what?!

“Kyungsoo, are you sure this is from the Comte?”

“That is what the delivery man said, sir. “

“Can you describe him?”

Kyungsoo rattled off the description, Luhan interrupting Kyungsoo after the important features of the man were detailed. “Siwon. It was Siwon.”

“Damn.” Jongdae slammed his fist into his hand. “I don’t think this is from the Comte.”

“Unless the Comte has Siwon working for him…” Sehun pursed his lips. “Why is this so god damn confusing?!”

Minseok tried to piece it all together, tried to reason it out, his mind hazy with the twists and turns- only certain that at the moment Changmin seemed to be the most suspect. But then again Kyuhyun was the one with the letter – though he could have very well given it to Changmin now that they were apparently the best of friends again. The Comte…he might fit into everything somehow as well. Siwon, he was beyond suspicious also.

“I need to put another tail on Changmin.” Jongdae reached the same conclusion. “And fast.”

“I think you have excellent sense, old boy.” Heechul deadpanned. “I can visit Victoria and that oaf of her brother first thing tomorrow morning.”

“We won’t be gaining entrance to Allards.” Luhan was the one that dropped the news, following up with a very high level explanation of a sudden rift in his relationship with his parents.

“Then focus on the reformers in the House of Commons. I have a feeling they are involved in this somehow. It is no secret they hate the crown and now that we are staring at untold copies of a letter that threatens to dispose the regent I dare say they have the most to gain.” Jongdae instructed Minseok and Luhan before pointing at Sehun and requesting he switch his focus to Siwon.

Minseok and Luhan agreed, they would refocus their efforts. After a few more minutes of discussion the other men took their leave, Minseok and Luhan taking the opportunity to see how Junmyeon was faring. The found Yixing sitting next to the injured man, holding his hand tightly.

“How is he?” Minseok asked quietly, not wanting to wake Junmyeon.

“Sleeping, weak.” Yixing stared down at Junmyeon. “Please ask Kyungsoo to bring up some water and fresh towels, sir.”

Minseok sighed heavily, feeling defeated at the sight of Junmyeon. “Yixing, you need to sleep. Luhan and I can stay with him.”

“No, I will stay.” Yixing protested. “I can sleep here. I have nursed people before, Mins- sir, I will be fine.”

Minseok realized there was no arguing with Yixing, the estate manager was stubborn when he had set his mind on something. “Just promise you will let someone help if you need it.”

“I will, sir.”

“Good night.” Minseok bid Yixing farewell, walking out of the room with his hand intertwined with Luhan’s. His husband offered a smile squeeze, holding his hand tightly. The simple gesture was comforting beyond belief.

***

Sehun hadn’t planned on visiting a questionable establishment at half past eleven, but duty called. After leaving Minseok and Luhan’s townhouse, the reality of an injured Junmyeon eating at him, he went right to work. Siwon had been at the Wayside Exhibition, which meant that there had to be some sort of records for his booth. The records office was closed at that hour, but that didn’t stop him. He found the lock easy enough to pick, thanks to instruction he had received on lock picking tactics from one of Jongdae’s agents. Finding the place deserted, no watchman in sight he was able to locate the records with ease.

Choi Siwon. An address was given, and that address led Sehun straight to the edges of the East End, to an establishment that skirted the border between the wealthier parts of town and the abject poverty of the East End. The outside of the building, the signage, made Sehun think of the drinking houses that many titled young men – out for an adventure – found comfort in during the late night. A place where people knew how to keep their mouth shut, recognizing their monetary gain for doing so.

Sehun strode into the establishment, maintaining his air of confidence as he scanned the large room, hoping he would spot Siwon there. Several men, who appeared to be anything but wealthy, sat at tables with full cups in front of them – some of the men had attractive serving women next to them. The serving women at places like this often picked up a few extra coin here and there by offering other services, services that had nothing to do with bringing drinks and food to customers. Siwon was nowhere in sight.

Sehun approached the long bar, ordering a drink casually as he considered where to sit. He ambled over to a corner table, a smaller seating arrangement than the long tables that dominated the center of the room. He could observe the door from here while not being front and center, the first person any newcomer would see.

A pretty serving woman brought his drink less than a minute after he sat down, offering a flirtatious wink as she placed the mug of ale on the table. Sehun took a sip, knowing better than to drink too much of the stuff. He had a job to do.

The minutes passed, turning into an hour without any notable sightings of Siwon or anyone else suspected of being involved with the case at hand. Sehun had managed to engage a few of his fellow patrons in cursory discussion, inquiring about the owners of the place. No one seemed to know or care, the serving woman even telling him she wasn’t sure who owned the place, only which “young handsome gentlemen knew how to pay a girl what she deserved”.

Sehun was starting to feel sleepy, the lack of excitement getting to him. Fighting the desire to nod off he didn’t register the men at first, not until they were at the bar. It was Siwon, or at least who he thought was Siwon. He had never laid eyes on the man himself, he only had descriptions of him to go on. Yet the man before him fit everything that Kyungsoo had said, everything Luhan had reported as well. He wasn’t alone, a blonde younger woman was with him, linking her arms with Siwon as she giggled and fanned herself. It was certainly odd to see a woman of the upper class in a place such as this.

Sehun sat up straight, moving his chair closer to where the shadows, he hoped Siwon wouldn’t see him – assuming Siwon knew who he was. He nearly panicked when Siwon brushed past the bar, walking past Sehun and entering the door that sat beside the bar. Sehun hadn’t seen anyone enter through the door in the entire time he had been there.

It was a spur of the moment decision, one that could be extremely dangerous and foolish, but Sehun knew how much they needed a break in the case, spurring him on. When the serving women’s attention was directed elsewhere he stood and made his way for the door, opening it and slipping inside quickly.

Adjusting his eyes to the darkness, only a single candle burnt from some ways ahead, Sehun found that he was in a long passageway. Remembering the way the building appeared from the outside he guessed that it led to the back of the building. Listening, Sehun heard nothing to indicate that Siwon and the woman was near. He plastered himself to the side of the corridor, creeping along it carefully lest he alert anyone to his presence.

Walking slowly he traversed the long hallway, attempting to take shallow breaths he nearly tiptoed, extra sensitive to any noise he may make. As he neared the end of the long hall he found a set of roughly hewn wooden steps, a doorway visible at the bottom of the steps. He carefully descended one step, then the next, listening. Siwon had to have come this way, there was nowhere else to go. Once he was in front of the door he pressed his ear to the wooden frame, hearing nothing from the other side. He steadied himself with his hands pressed against the door, leaning in with his ear flush against the grainy wood.

When the door opened, Sehun tumbled inward, his entire body weight having been pushed against the door. Gasping as he hit the hard stone floor he had little time to recover his wits before someone was there, staring down at him.

“What do we have here?” Siwon stared down at Sehun, a sinister smile directed at the young nobleman whose snooping had been discovered.

Sehun gulped, then sprang into action. He put all of his force into his heels, springing upwards as he bolted for the door. He made it out of the room, running as fast as his feet would allow he bolted down the passage way, towards the door. When he reached the door he had entered through he tugged at the rough iron handle, pulling it back he met resistance.

The door was locked. Sehun tugged at the handle, panicking as he heard footsteps approaching from behind.

--------------------------------

a/n- Don’t you guys love me?! I mean, I ended last chapter with half dead Junmyeon and now I give you Sehun in peril. I should probably just be going now…

 Before I run- thank you, thank you, thank you to all of the subscribers, upvoters, commenters (love you guys), and the silent readers too! - <3 LC