Chapter 21

The Crimson Feather

She wore too much perfume. The Comte fought the urge to plug his nose, knowing better than to offend her.  She was too important to piss off over something as small as strong perfume.

She slid her finger around the rim of the tea cup, tracing slow circles on the porcelain. “He shall be very pleased to hear they are on their way.”

“Yes, I imagine he will be.” He hoped they would be on their way soon, honestly he was starting to worry. It was taking too long. “I shall assume that his end of the deal will be delivered once he receives the children.”

The woman giggled, her laughter lilting. “Let me ask you, Comte, is your allegiance truly with our cause?”

“Of course my lady, haven’t I proven it many a time?”

“Perhaps, but not always, Comte. I do believe you were against us at one time.” She wasn’t an easy person to deal with, too perceptive. But Kris had experience with people like that.

“Does it matter when our friendship started, my lady? I believe it matters that we are friends now.”

“We shall see. Deliver the children and we shall talk.” She smiled sweetly, knowing she had the upper hand.

***

 The plate shattered into dozens of pieces as it hit the floor, the maid jumping back in alarm.

“Minseok, you might want to ease your grip a little bit.” Luhan shot the maid an apologetic look in his husband’s place. “If you could just give us a minute.”

The maid nodded and scurried off. Luhan went back to watching the scene in front of him – Minseok pinning Tao to the kitchen wall with his arm.

“Where is Sehun?!” Minseok was beyond angry. Luhan had never seen him this upset before, and honestly Luhan wasn’t sure he had ever been this upset before either. The children were gone and so was Oh Sehun. I was too much of a coincidence to think that Sehun didn’t have something to do with their disappearance.

“I said I don’t know!” Tao gasp, Minseok’s arm pushed tightly into his neck. “I didn’t see him after I left your house yesterday.”

Minseok stared at the servant for a good thirty seconds before finally letting him go, lowering his arm and stepping back.

Tao rubbed his neck, coughing. “What has he done?”

“You don’t want to know.” Luhan muttered. He had already decided that any ground Sehun had made over the last few months in terms of their friendship had just become null and void. Kidnapping children was not something Luhan could forgive.

“Please, tell me.” Tao begged.

“He kidnapped the twins.” Minseok spat. “Come on, we aren’t going to find anything here.” Minseok grabbed Luhan’s arm, apparently ready to ignore Tao’s dramatic reaction to the news. The servant started rambling about how angry he was, how confused he was, but the older men weren’t listening.

“Where are we going?”  Luhan asked as they walked towards the service entrance.

“The Comte’s house,” Minseok replied. “I have a feeling that if anyone would want the kids it is somehow tied back to where they came from. Sehun didn’t think this up on his own.”

“Victoria?” Luhan considered.

“Perhaps.” Minseok sighed heavily. “You are probably going to have to restrain me when we find him because lord knows I want to hurt him right now.”

“You and I both.” Luhan wouldn’t mind landing a punch or two or three on Sehun’s face. He had a feeling someone would have to restrain them both.

***

The nannies high pitched shrieks were deafening. Jongin tried to comfort her, patting her back while handing her his handkerchief.

“Th-thi-this is all my fault for getting sick!” Lisbeth wailed.

“No, no it isn’t.” Jongin patted her back again, shooting Kyungsoo a ‘help me’ look.

Kyungsoo didn’t notice the attempt at eye contact. He was too busy fuming in the corner. He had a dark glint in his eyes that Jongin had never seen before. At one point Jongin spotted a hint of tears, but then the dark glint returned.

Kyungsoo was taking the children’s disappearance hard. Another wail from Lisbeth made Jongin thankful that at least Kyungsoo wasn’t openly weeping too.

“I am sure that the sirs will bring them home. I am certain they are well.” Jongin wasn’t certain of any of it but he desperately hoped the children were okay.

Lisbeth continued crying and finally Jongin gave up at comforting the woman. He was about to approach Kyungsoo and ask him if he needed anything when Yixing descended the stairs into the kitchen. The estate manager took one look at the nanny and froze.

“What happened?”

“The children!” Lisbeth wailed.

Jongin explained as quickly as he could that the children were missing, Yixing paling as he heard the news.

“Missing? As in kidnapped?”!

“Yes, possibly. I suppose we don’t really know.” Jongin dragged his hand through his hair. He was frustrated.

“My word.” Yixing bit his bottom lip. “How could someone do something to such little angels?”

“I don’t know.”

A loud knock on the front door made everyone jump, they were all on edge. Kyungsoo pushed past Jongin before he could even get up one step. “I’ll get it.”

Jongin knew better than to argue but he still wanted to know who was calling. He followed Kyungsoo up the stairs.

“It is Jongdae, open up.”

Kyungsoo was quick to unlock the door, throwing it open just as Jongin reached the top of the stairs.

“Are D’Adderleigh and Easton in?” Jongdae stepped inside, removing his hat.

“No sir, they have gone after the children.” Kyungsoo replied.

“The children?” Clearly Jongdae didn’t know.

‘“They are missing, sir. Sehun seems to have something to do with it.” Kyungsoo’s voice cracked as he spoke, indicating how upset he was.

“The devil!” Jongdae huffed. “When I get my hands on him -. He must be the mole, the bastard…”

“What, sir?”

Jongdae ignored the question. “I wonder why Minseok didn’t come to me?!”

“I don’t know, sir.”

“Well, I shall be on my way. I best find D’Adderleigh and figure out what is going on.” Jongdae turned to go but Kyungsoo interrupted him.

“Sir, may I go with you?” Kyungsoo asked. Jongin tensed. Kyungsoo might be in danger if he went with Jongdae.

Jongdae looked Kyungsoo up and down for a second. “Can you stay out of the way if I say so?”

“Yes.”

“Then come on. I know this involves you too.”

 Kyungsoo was quick to run for his coat. Jongin knew he couldn’t let him walk out the door alone. “I am coming too. I will let Yixing know, please wait a moment sir.”

“Very well.” Jongdae sighed, a sad and heavy sigh.

***

Luhan could sense Victoria’s nervousness the moment they walked into the drawing room. Her maid showed the two men in as she explained The Comte was out of the residence for the day.  

Victoria’s eyes widened as she stood and offered a small curtsy. “What brings the both of you here?”

Luhan was thankful Minseok didn’t utilize the same tactic he had with Tao and pin the woman to the wall. No, he went for something much less physical.

“We need your help.” Minseok drawled, not bothering to take a seat he stood before her. Luhan stopped behind him, watching, letting his husband do the talking.

“My help?” Victoria clasp her hands together. Yes, it was clear she was nervous.

“Yes. Have you seen Oh Sehun, The Earl of Pressley’s son, today?” Minseok asked.

“No, I am afraid I don’t know the man well enough to be on visiting terms with him.”

“Of course, I should have known that.” Minseok sounded too light hearted, Luhan waited for him to let loose his anger. It didn’t take long.

 “My dear lady, do you know what I have been doing today?”

“N-no.”

“Hm, well let us see. I woke up after apparently being drugged, very lovely thing.” Minseok inched closer to Victoria. The woman took a step back for every step he neared. “Ah, and of course as soon as I awoke I went to check on my children. Funny thing is that they were missing.”

“M-missing?”

“Yes, as in taken. Now you or that of a brother of yours wouldn’t know anything about that, would you?” Minseok took one more step forward. Victoria nearly collided with a chair as she moved backwards. She let out a little squeal as she righted herself.

“I don’t know what you are talking about! I swear!” Victoria was tense.

“Victoria, may I suggest you tell my husband the truth and do so before he sets your house on fire, with you in it?” Luhan folded his arms, glaring at the woman.

Luhan’s words coupled with Minseok’s intimidating stance seemed to have some effect on her. “I don’t know what my brother plans! I swear. I wouldn’t know if he did do it. Please, believe me!”

“So he could be behind this?”

“Yes. No! I – I don’t know.” Victoria stuttered. “If he is it is reprehensible.”

“Where is he?” Luhan demanded.

“I don’t know. He comes and goes as he pleases, he doesn’t tell me where he is going or when he is coming home.”

Luhan turned around, frustrated he paced to the far end of the room. As he turned around something caught his eye. It was a letter sitting on the side table, the paper looked expensive. The handwriting was clearly the work of someone of the upper class. 

He didn’t ask permission to read it. Grabbing the paper in his hands he scanned over it. It was an invitation for a gala in two days’ time.

“What is this gala for?” Luhan held the paper up.

“It is to celebrate the elections, Mr. Shim sent it to me.”

Luhan folded the paper, tucking it in his coat. It might come in useful. But for now their first order of business was finding the children – and fast.

“If I find out that your brother had anything to do with this I will come back here and arrest you as an accessory,” Minseok threatened.

“I told you I don’t know!” Victoria pleaded again.

A few minutes later Minseok and Luhan left the house knowing no more than they did when they arrived. Victoria wasn’t talking. They had all but threatened her several times but she swore up and down she had no knowledge of where the children might be. Luhan’s chest tightened as he realized it was another dead end. He hoped the children were okay, that they hadn’t been harmed. The thought of anyone injuring the children made him sick.

“I hope Jongdae has agents searching for them.” Luhan was certain that the moment Jongdae read the note he would spring into action. When they had arrived at Jongdae’s office – their first stop after leaving their townhouse – he was not yet in. One of Jongdae’s agents offered to collect a note for them.

Minseok had written out a note explaining the situation shoving it into the man’s hands before they rushed over to speak to Tao.

 “Yes, let us hope he does.” Minseok reached his arm out to hail a carriage. They needed to follow up on another avenue, giving up was not an option. Their children were missing, they had to find them.

***

Kyungsoo knew that Jongin was staring at him, but he wasn’t going return his gaze. He knew Jongin was worried about what had happened, worried about what could happen, and had somehow translated that into a need to watch Kyungsoo every second they were together. He didn’t want to look back because he was scared and he was afraid he would crumble if he looked into Jongin’s eyes.

Jongdae had hailed a hackney cab, explaining they needed to stop by the Home Office first. “We need to mobilize agents.”

When they arrived at the white stone building Jongdae let a slew of expletives fly. Kyungsoo didn’t know why until they walked into Jongdae’s office and found Heechul lounging about.

“I saw your carriage outside. I am busy right now.” Jongdae blurted out when Heechul stood to greet him.

“Well that is no way to greet your lover, young man.” Heechul crossed his arms.

“I don’t have time right now.” Jongdae reaffirmed.

Heechul rolled his eyes. Kyungsoo wondered if he was about to play witness to a spat, seriously hoping that wasn’t what was about to happen. A small knock on the office door put an end to bickering.

“Sir, I have a message for you.” A man entered the office, holding a piece of paper.

“What is it Taecyeon?”

“Viscount D’Adderleigh called a couple of hours ago, he left this.” The man handed the letter over and retreated with a bow.

Jongdae opened the letter, scanning it. “They found the children!”

“What?!” Kyungsoo and Jongin said in unison.

“It says that they are being held in a tavern near the East End.”

“Let’s go!” Heechul pointed towards the door. “I could use a trip to a tavern!”

Jongdae shot his boyfriend a dirty look but didn’t argue. The four men rushed out of the office, ready to go help their friends.

“Taecyeon, please gather men and meet me at this location.” Jongdae jotted down an address, shoving it at the agent on his way out of the building.

***

“Was that Jongdae that I heard?” Wimbley, a portly veteran Home Office agent, sidled up to Taecyeon. He gestured towards Jongdae’s office. “Did he have any orders?”

“He hasn’t been into the office yet,” Taecyeon lied.

“Oh. Well then, I guess I best go back to sorting case files.” Wimbley plodded back towards the room where he was working on the backlog of paperwork. When he was out of sight Taecyeon reached into his jacket pocket, retrieving the real letter from D’Adderleigh. He needed to destroy it.

He threw it into the fireplace in the largest meeting room, staring at the flames as they devoured the paper.  It had been too easy to copy the handwriting style, he mused. Jongdae hadn’t even questioned it. Everything was going as planned, within the hour the club would no longer be bothered by the likes of Kim Jongdae – ever again.

-----------------------------------

a/n- Sorry, I have been really bad with updating again OTL. Thank you guys for hanging in there, I hope you like the update! After looking at the outline I realized there are only going to be about four more chapters (but they will be “meaty” chapters). So, we are nearing the end *sad and happy at the same time*-LC