Chapter 9

The Crimson Feather

Thankfully they were both clothed by the time someone arrived. Perhaps not perfectly clothed; Minseok’s cravat was hastily tied and Luhan’s trousers were boasting a very noticeable grass stain. Still, they were much more presentable than they were only a few minutes before.

“Who is it?” Luhan whispered, motioning towards the approaching figures. “I can’t tell…”

Minseok squinted. It was most certainly a woman and a man, the outline of the woman’s dress unmistakable. They waited with baited breath as the pair approached the area slowly.

“The Comte Labeaux.” Luhan said the man’s name with clear disdain, Minseok internally echoing the same sentiments. “Wasn’t Sehun supposed to be watching him?”

“I thought so. Now let us hope that Kyuhyun stays away.” Minseok glanced around the area, not seeing another person he breathed a momentary sigh of relief.

Minseok and Luhan remained seated in the copse of trees, waiting for the right moment to make their presence known. As the two individuals approached, Minseok could see that it was Victoria walking alongside her brother. He wondered what sort of brother invited his sister to a duel, but then again that same brother had essentially abandoned two children only two days ago so he truly should not have been surprised.

Luhan took the initiative of revealing their position first, standing up he stepped out of the copse of trees. “Comte, Victoria. Here for some shooting?”

Minseok was quick to stand up as well. He watched as Victoria jumped a bit at the fright of seeing people where she didn’t know there would be anyone, clutching onto Kris’s arm for a moment in alarm. Kris braced himself, holding out his walking stick for protection.

“Don’t tell me you came here to stop the duel?” Kris drawled, lowering his walking stick. “I do hope you have more sense than that.”

“Don’t tell me you showed up here to be shot by Kyuhyun? I do hope you have more sense than that.” Minseok delivered his retort with a smile, happy when his words made Kris scowl. His victory was short-lived, however.

Victoria narrowed her eyes at the two men before her. “Easton. D’Adderleigh.” The venom in her tone was evident. “My brother told me of Angelique’s death.”

Minseok stilled. He hadn’t honestly thought about when Victoria would find out. Of course he had assumed Heechul hadn’t uttered a word of it to the woman, waiting for Jongdae to deliver the news instead. Victoria’s hasty departure from the soiree made such an exchange of information impossible so the task had fallen to Kris.

“Yes.” Luhan stepped ahead, as if he could shield Minseok from any fury the woman may throw his way. “We would very much like to ask you questions regarding her whereabouts prior to her unfortunate demise.”

“Are you insinuating my sister had something to do with her maid’s death?” The Comte nearly shouted.

“I am insinuating that your sister likely has more intimate knowledge of Angelique’s comings and goings, knowledge that may help us to piece together what happened to her. And you, Comte, were the person that stated the maid left with your sister.”

“She didn’t. I don’t know what happened to her. “ Victoria was quick to deny. Perhaps too quick, Luhan thought. “She was still at the house when I left with Kyuhyun.”

“Where is that scoundrel anyway?” Kris turned around, looking about the park, hoping to spot his rival.

Victoria ignored her brother. She turned to Minseok, “You have the twins.” It was a statement, not a question.

Minseok nodded.

“You leave Angelique pregnant, not giving a fig for her survival. Yet you dare to step in now and assume parenting them on a whim?” Victoria’s cheeks were flushed, the anger rising up in her. “How dare you, sir. How dare you!”

Minseok swallowed. How could he explain, how could he make her understand? “I can assure you, my lady, that I had no idea of their existence until a few days prior. As for assuming the role of parent on a whim, you should ask your brother how that occurred.”

Victoria scowled. “My brother has done nothing but care for the little angels since they were born. He has done nothing but give them the best of everything, even if they were the children of servants. Yet you, YOU sir, can’t be bothered with your by-blow children born to a maid. So high and mighty you are!”

“I suggest you attempt to understand the reality of the situation before you speak further.” Luhan issued a warning. He place a hand on the small of Minseok’s back, a gesture of support.

“Understand? I was there when they were born. I was there when Angelique cried for days over being abandoned with two mouths to feed. I was there when…” Victoria’s rage was cut short when her brother blurted out, “Kyuhyun is coming.”

Victoria whirled around, staring as the tall man stalked towards their location. Noticeably absent was another man with him to act as a second. In fact, the Comte’s second was also nowhere to be found.

Minseok felt like his entire body was on fire, every muscle tense; a dozen words on the tip of his tongue waiting to be said. He held them back. Luhan glanced at him, biting his bottom lip his concern was evident. They turned to watch as Kyuhyun strode towards them, a carefree expression on his face, very unlike a man ready to duel.

When Kyuhyun neared he bowed. “Ladies, gentleman. Pleasant morning, is it not?”

“Where is your second?” The Comte seethed, not ready to let the idea of a duel die.

“Where is yours?” Kyuhyun asked, “My Victoria, you look absolutely stunning this morning.”

Minseok watched as Victoria went from the furious woman of a moment ago to no more than a blushing school girl, offering up her brightest smile. “I thought I would accompany my brother and try to talk him out of this nonsense.”

“Very good.” Kyuhyun didn’t pay Luhan or Minseok any mind beyond a cursory glance. “My dear Comte, I have come to apologize. I have had quite the change of heart overnight and I believe we need to end all of this shooting foolishness. Please accept my sincere apologies for escorting your stunning sister around the countryside. Please?”

“Kris, call it off.” Victoria clung to her brother’s arm, “He apologized and I explained nothing happened. It was a friendly trip.”

Minseok desperately wanted to role his eyes. What gentleman took a lady out for a friendly week’s long trip around the countryside without telling anyone?

“Your second does not appear to be here.” Kyuhyun offered another toothy smile. “Sir, please, we aren’t fit to fight a duel as it is. And truly I am very, very sorry.”

Victoria continued to plead with Kris, Kyuhyun looking on in anticipation. Luhan and Minseok watched, hoping that Kris would come to his senses. If he did not, then they would very likely need to step in to stop any possible violence. Thankfully it did not appear that Kyuhyun had brought dueling pistols, so the likelihood of a shooting was not immediate. Still, Kris and his cane were not to be underestimated.

“Kris. Please. For me.” Victoria kept tugging on Kris’s sleeve until he finally relented.

“Very well. Though if you come within ten feet of my sister again I will not hesitate to shoot you.” The Comte announced.

“Kris!” Victoria protested.

“How thankful I am that you came to your senses.” Kyuhyun bowed, apparently not at all bothered by the condition that comte had outlined despite Victoria’s strong protests. “I shall be going then.”

Luhan sighed in relief, Minseok feeling a tad bit less tense given the turn of events. Kyuhyun walked away, Victoria pouting at his retreating form. Her despair was only momentary, seemingly diminished when she recalled that Minseok and Luhan were still there. She turned around, glaring at Minseok once again.

“Pray tell, what are you two doing here?”

“We are on Home Office business.” Minseok had a feeling that Victoria was going to be a difficult woman to handle. “Which involves the death of your maid.”

“You can’t even call her by her name? She is but a maid. A lowly serving girl.” Victoria crossed her arms, assuming a very un-ladylike stance.  “And you are out here, in the early morning, without a care for your children.”

Her words were harsh. Too harsh. Minseok was about to reply when Luhan started to speak. “I dare say you have little care for the children if you disappeared for weeks on end, their mother died in that time, and you had no idea of their circumstance. I also dare say you are the last person to judge my husband’s behavior when you yourself have shown your great propensity for attracting attention of the scandalous kind. My lady, if I should even call you that, you best think before you speak next time.”

Minseok was pretty sure his jaw had dropped, Luhan’s rare heated outburst unexpected. Minseok didn’t have time to fully process how amazing it all was before Luhan grabbed his hand, pulling him away. But Luhan still wasn’t done. After walking a few feet he turned, “And your brother is probably the most inane I have ever met. If he cared for the twins even a little he would have seen that they transitioned households with the utmost care given to their mental wellbeing. He wouldn’t abandon them at a park.”

A few more feet and Luhan was once again turning around, “And you should not dare to presume how my husband feels about servants. I will have you know he has the best cared for servant in the whole of this city!”

Luhan whipped around, Minseok jogging to keep up so he wouldn’t be nearly dragged away. Once they were some ways from where Victoria and the Comte stood, Minseok halted, forcing Luhan to do the same.

“Luhan, shouldn’t we ensure Kyuhyun doesn’t come back. What if it was a ruse?”

Luhan’s breathing was ragged, his face flushed from his anger. He caught his breath, staring back towards the lake. “Sorry. Yes, you are right.”

“Luhan?”

“Yes?”

“That was really, um…attractive.” Minseok didn’t think he could honestly explain that seeing his husband rush to his defense that way made him think about how much he wanted to go back into that copse of trees and show him just how much he loved him.

“Really?”

“Yes. Though please don’t drag me away next time.”

“Sorry.” Luhan caught his breathe, “I got a bit carried away.”

Minseok smiled. “I forgive you.” He leaned over, planting a kiss on Luhan’s lips. Luhan reached out, pulling Minseok closer, turning the peck into an open mouthed kiss. Minseok broke away before things became too heated. “Later, we need to watch now.”

Luhan sighed, nodding. “Later.”

They went back to watching, hesitant to believe that the duel was truly not going to take place.  They were so engrossed in watching Victoria and Kris amble around the lake that they didn’t hear the other man approach from behind. When a hand found Minseok’s shoulder he yelped, whirling around, ready to fight.

“It’s me!” Jongdae withdrew his hand, holding it up, “Sorry, I didn’t mean to alarm you.” Jongdae noticed the state of Minseok and Luhan’s clothing almost at once. “Were you two in a fight?”

The married coupled colored, Jongdae getting the hint. “At the park? Seriously?”

“Well…”Luhan didn’t get to say more than one word before Minseok was elbowing him in the ribs.

“At least you aren’t awkward anymore.” Jongdae dragged his hand through his hair. He looked tired, though Minseok and Luhan looked tired as well. They hadn’t slept all night. “I followed Kyuhyun here, though he was a bit quicker than I was.”

“He apologized.” Minseok explained, “The Comte and his sister are leaving now.”

Jongdae sighed. “At least we shan’t have to break up a duel.”

“What happened to Sehun and Tao?” Minseok felt a bit concerned at the fact he hadn’t seen them despite their order to watch the Comte.

“Sehun’s mother is not faring well. I told him to go be with her.” Jongdae replied. He felt secure enough in doing so, knowing that Minseok and Luhan would be at the park to stop any potential madness.

“Did you learn anything overnight? Did Victoria say anything to Heechul?” Luhan asked, curious.

“Heechul reported that the little she did say backed up Kyuhyun’s story. It seems that neither are admitting to any involvement with the letter after they left nor the death of Victoria’s maid.”

“What of Changmin?” Minseok recalled that Junmyeon was supposed to be keeping tabs on him.

“Odd, truly odd. Junmyeon reported that Kyuhyun left with him. Strange considering Changmin volunteered to be the Comte’s second in a duel against Kyuhyun, not to mention the fact Changmin has been running around town telling anyone who will listen that Kyuhyun is little more than trash.” Jongdae continued, “Though Junmyeon didn’t see Kyuhyun arrive at Changmin’s house with him and Changmin didn’t leave again all night. I sent Junmyeon home, the poor fool was falling asleep. Seems Changmin didn’t do anything suspicious yesterday either.”

“Where did you find Kyuhyun then?”

“He was at his home. I waited all night and followed as he left this morning.” Jongdae was visibly frustrated. “It seems we have hit a dead end. Angelique’s death can be seen as a suicide at worst, an accident at best. And we have nothing to hold Victoria or Kyuhyun on.”

“So this is it? The case is closed?” Minseok didn’t like the sound of that. Not that he didn’t want to see an end to the potential madness that such a dangerous letter could cause. No, he would be thankful if the letter was indeed destroyed. Yet Angelique’s death did not seem to be an accident, he could feel it. He didn’t want to drop it, not for his children’s sake.

“Unless we find new evidence, I am afraid so, old boy.” Jongdae sighed. “I am sorry, D’Adderleigh.”

Minseok didn’t want Jongdae to be sorry. No, it wasn’t Jongdae’s fault. “You did your best. We will have to keep searching, we will have to keep looking.”

“If only we had a new lead!” Luhan mused, “And there has been nothing more about that feather?”

“No.”

The three men resigned themselves to the fact that nothing more could be done. As the morning light increased, the park showing no signs of an impending duel, they took their leave.

***

Minseok and Luhan were both half asleep as they walked in the front door of their home, a bit heavy on their feet from the extreme fatigue they were feeling.

“Sirs! Where were you all night?” Kyungsoo was quick to appear, having heard the door open. “I was worried sick.”

“I left a note.” Minseok yawned.

“You did not, sir.” Kyungsoo narrowed his eyes, taking in the state of his employer’s dress. “Sir, your cravat…”

“I thought I left a note?” Minseok couldn’t honestly remember anymore. “Sorry, I – we need to sleep.”

Kyungsoo noted the word we, realizing that his employer had seemingly made up with Luhan. He mustered a small smile. “Will you be wanting breakfast, sir?”

“No, lunch perhaps. How are the children?” Minseok wondered if they were awake.

“Crying, sniveling, eating, being loud, that sort of thing, sir.” Kyungsoo gestured towards the stairs. “That godsend of a woman seems to have it all under control.”

Luhan was too tired to gloat over how well Lisbeth was doing. Instead he trudged up the stairs behind Minseok, knowing the elder was heading towards the makeshift nursery. As they approached the nursery Luhan could hear the familiar sound of Lisbeth’s voice, playfully speaking with the children.

Minseok pushed the door open, trying to find some strength.

“Look little master, little miss, your fathers are home!” Lisbeth cooed, gesturing towards the door.

Minseok halted for a moment at the word father. He hadn’t felt comfortable with it, not yet. Should he scold Lisbeth for using the term? She surely meant no harm. He didn’t have too long to consider how best to handle the familial name, not when Theo and Lilly caught sight of him standing in the doorway, Luhan right behind him.

The two children hesitated for a moment, Theo holding a small wooden toy, Lilly clutching a doll. It was only a moment however before they toddled towards the door. “Up!” Theo held his arms out, Minseok grinning. It was amazing how rejuvenated he could feel just by seeing the two small children for a few seconds. He scooped Theo into his arms, hoisting him up. Lilly found Luhan and demanded the same, giggling as Luhan picked her up.

“How are the little troublemakers today?” Luhan asked, gently touching Lilly’s nose and eliciting a giggle from the girl.

“They are very good, sir.” Lisbeth stood up. She had been sitting on the floor, toys scattered about. “Kyungsoo made them breakfast and my how they eat.”

“Was breakfast tasty?” Minseok asked Theo, the boy nodding. He pointed towards his toy, Lisbeth noticed the child’s gesture and handed it to him. Minseok noted the toy, no the toys. Lots of them. He knew Luhan had purchased them and he hadn’t properly thanked him. His guilt over how he treated his husband was starting to return.

After a few minutes spent with the children, Lisbeth gently shoed the two men away. “Sirs, you look half dead.” Minseok and Luhan couldn’t disagree, they trudged off after Lilly and Theo found a new distraction courtesy of Lisbeth cleverly pointing out a toy they hadn’t yet played with.

When they reached their bedroom they both made a beeline for the bed. Minseok managed to shrug off his trousers and slip off his cravat and jacket while Luhan didn’t even have enough energy to do that much. Lying down fully clothed Luhan planted himself face down on his pillow. Minseok laughed softly at the sight.

“Do you need me to help you undress?” Minseok asked, this time with completely innocent intentions.

“I wish I had enough energy to be aroused by that statement.” Luhan sat up, shrugging off his trousers and coat, untying his cravat and throwing it on the floor next to the bed. Once he was suitably undressed he scooted under the covers. “I missed sleeping next to you.”

Minseok moved closer to his husband, bridging the inches that separated them. Luhan was lying on his side, facing Minseok, his eyes closed. The elder man moved until they were nearly chest to chest, draping his arm over Luhan’s torso. “I am sorry we fought.”

“Hm.” Luhan was too tired to say more. He moved to snake his arm around Minseok’s waist, though it was more of him lying his arm over Minseok.

“Luhan, thank you for buying all of the toys for the twins.” Minseok moved his hand up Luhan’s torso and back down. “I am sorry your husband can be such an .”

“As long as he stays my I can forgive him.” Luhan smirked, moving his hand he pinched Minseok’s , eliciting a squeal from the older man.  “Now go to bed Minseok, we need to sleep.”

Minseok wasn’t going to argue. They both fell asleep within minutes.

-------------------------------

a/n- So the case is clearly closed. Nothing to see here. Yep, uh huh (queue evil laugh muhahahahahah). Things may just be getting started in terms of the larger mystery….stay tuned.

I will probably be updating the next chapter today as well, sorry I haven’t updated in over a week (so I owe you guys a couple updates, right)! I have been busy writing fic exchange/fest stories lately. I signed up for everything under the sun because I am sick like that.

Thank you to all the new subbers! And upvoters! I am hoping you guys will like this story as much as The Masquerade, please upvote if you are enjoying it. I love all of the comments everyone has left as well. Thank you so much! <3 LC

PS- If you like super angsty Xiuhan, I did write Listless a little over a week ago. Check it out if you are so inclined!