Chapter 7

The Crimson Feather

Minseok found sleep to be elusive. The twins woke up several times during the night crying, still asking for their mother, unsure of their new surroundings. When Minseok found a few hours of sleep around dawn, the twins finally falling asleep, he drifted off so deeply nothing could wake him. Which was exactly what Luhan wanted.

“Two little ones?” Lisbeth cooed, a huge smile on her face as she peered towards the stairs.

“Yes. Though please don’t tell my parents, not yet. And D’Adderleigh, he may say something harsh but please forgive him. The shock, well, he is saying things he doesn’t mean.” Luhan wanted to warn the nanny first lest Minseok berate her. Luhan was hoping that would not be the case, though judging by the vile words Minseok spewed the day prior he was not so sure his husband would hold his tongue.

Luhan had taken a huge risk by asking the nanny to come over to meet the children. He knew that Minseok was fighting the idea and Minseok’s words – that they were HIS children – still tore at Luhan’s heart. Luhan tried to tell himself multiple times since Minseok had uttered such words which he didn’t really mean it, he was tired, emotional – upset. Still, they hurt, more than Luhan cared to admit.

Lisbeth walked slowly up the stairs, Luhan behind her. “Their room is the second on the left.” Luhan explained. When they were in front of the door, Luhan twisted the knob slowly, afraid he would wake up Minseok.

Minseok was sleeping on the floor, a blanket thrown over him, his mouth wide open as he snored loudly. The children, however, were very much awake and presently engaged in pushing each other, giggling. They stopped playing when they noticed the door was open, both staring at the door, curious.

Luhan waved at the children. Thankfully they were starting to feel at least a bit more comfortable with him, evidenced by the way they toddled forward and out the door. Luhan shut the door behind them, grateful Minseok was not awake to fight him on the matter.

“Look at you two beautiful creatures!” Lisbeth smiled brightly. The children did not seem to fear her, not at all. “Who wants a new toy?”

Both children raised their hands up towards the ceiling, Lisbeth chuckling. “Well then let us go see this new toy, shall we?” She picked Lilly up without the girl fussing, Luhan felt an enormous amount of vindication; a person that understood child rearing could handle the children much better than he could. Theo willingly let Luhan hoist him up. Soon they were seated in the morning room, Lisbeth playing and speaking with the children as only an expert nanny could.

***

Minseok woke up with a start, panic setting in as he realized the room was empty. Where had the children gone? He stood up quickly, rushing towards the door -  only to have to move to avoid it hitting his face as it was opened from the other side. Luhan walked in, showing his own measure of surprise at seeing Minseok awake.

“Where are the children?! Are they well?” Minseok asked, his face flush.

“They are fine.” Luhan shut the door, making sure to stand in front of the exit, effectively trapping Minseok inside. “Lisbeth is with them.”

“What?” Minseok raised an eyebrow, narrowing his eyes, “I thought I-“

“Yes, you made your position quite clear. They are YOUR children and I shouldn’t think about them one bit. No, in fact I should ignore them and let you drive yourself insane with guilt and whatever other emotions are running through your head. In fact, why don’t I move out? Perhaps than I won’t be a bother.” Luhan wore his own angry expression.

“I never said you should move out.” Minseok spat back.

“No, you didn’t. I did.” Luhan felt his body tense. He wasn’t going to back down, no, he wasn’t going to let this go. Minseok was being nasty, which he could understand to a degree, but it didn’t mean he had to stay silent on the matter.

“You have no idea what this is like.” Minseok growled, considering if he could push Luhan from where he stood in front of the door. He would never hurt Luhan, no, but he wanted to get out of that room.

“That is true.” Luhan glared, “I have no idea because you will not talk to me.”

“What do you want me to say? Do you need me to tell you how it happened? How they came to be?” Minseok was going for the throat, still he wanted to cringe as the words left his mouth. He knew how cruel they sounded.

Luhan stood silent for a moment, staring. “If I cared who you slept with before you met me then I dare say we would never have gotten married.”

“What are you implying?”

“I don’t know. You are the one with children, not I.” Luhan answered, knowing full well he had delivered an insult as great as any Minseok had hurled at him.

“Says the man who was considering marrying a jewel thief.” Minseok, in the heat of the argument, no longer recalled the reason he was upset to begin with. It wasn’t about a nanny anymore, it was about who could hurt whom the most. It was about winning.

Luhan looked at Minseok, truly looked at him. Noted the way his brow was furrowed, his hands clenched at his sides. Luhan considered, should he keep it going, let his own anger carry on? No, he had to stop this and stop it quickly. “Minseok, if you really hate me than do me a favor and tell me in so many words. If you are mad about Lisbeth, then stop talking out of your behind.”

“You started this.” Minseok fumed. “With talk of moving out!”

“Yes, and I am sorry. Honestly, I am sorry.” Luhan exhaled, “Now please, before I let you out of this room promise me you will give Lisbeth a chance.”

Minseok nodded, not daring to open his mouth. Not daring to say sorry to Luhan, not yet. He wanted only to see the children. Luhan accepted his nonverbal agreement, moving aside, letting Minseok open the door. Luhan watched Minseok go, waiting for a moment before he followed.

***

“Sir, you didn’t forget about the soiree at Viscount Kimberly’s residence, did you?” Kyungsoo attempted to deliver his query with an even tone, ignoring the fact his employer was staring at the two small children, observing the unwanted nanny as she read a story book to them, oblivous to the world.

“I can’t go.” Minseok replied.

“Sir, I don’t think that is a wise decision.” Kyungsoo had agreed to this. Yes, he had agreed to bring up the soiree, to convince Minseok to go, and to hopefully introduce a measure of sanity back into their household. Luhan barely had to do any begging, because for once Kyungsoo was in complete agreement with him.

“Why?” Minseok turned to look at his valet.

“Sir, you know this is for charity. It would be bad form if you did not attend after accepting the invitation. The twins will be fine now that Lisbeth is here.” Kyungsoo braced himself, half wondering if Minseok would pick something up and hurl it in his direction. Instead he heard his employer’s heavy sigh.

“I am being foolish, aren’t I?” Minseok muttered, stepping out of the morning room, leaving the nanny with the children.

“Yes, you are, sir.” Kyungsoo agreed, growing a bit bolder now that his employer seemed less likely to descend into an outburst of anger.

Minseok dragged his hand through his hair. “Kyungsoo, it – so much has happened.”

“I know sir, I know. Though please, try not to fight with the Earl. He…he has a bit of a foolish mind.” Kyungsoo had realized over the last day that he didn’t like when his employers fought. Once upon a time Kyungsoo thought the worst possible thing was seeing Minseok and Luhan giggling and acting like lovesick fools, he now knew that seeing them fight was far worse. Luhan teary eyed, Minseok angry, the house feeling heavy and out of sorts. Kyungsoo hated it.

“I was terrible to him.” Minseok sighed.

“I am sure he will forgive you, sir.”

Minseok stared through the doorway. Lisbeth was good with the children, definitely better than Minseok was. He had to admit it. And there was the matter of trying to take care of two children on his own when he had vowed to help Jongdae with the investigation. The situation was clearly impossible.

“The soiree is tonight, correct?”

“Yes, sir. I have your outfit ready.”

“Very well, I shall go.” Minseok agreed. Kyungsoo nodded, as he turned to take his leave Minseok stopped him. “Where is Luhan?”

“He stepped out, sir. He said he shall be back in time for the soiree.” Kyungsoo answered, noting that Minseok’s expression appeared a bit sad at the realization Luhan had taken his leave.

***

“Do you want a drink?” Heechul held out the brandy decanter, swirling it around playfully.

“No.” Luhan pouted.

“I really wish I could understand you, Easton.” Heechul sighed, “You married the man of your dreams and yet you still remain as hopelessly thick as ever.”

“We argued!” Luhan whined. “I said such nasty things! He said such nasty things!”

“Which of course will be solved by lying on my couch whining…” Heechul smirked.

Luhan glared at his old friend. He didn’t dare utter a retort because he knew very well Heechul was correct, as was unfortunately usually the case.

“Will you attend the soiree tonight?” Heechul poured himself a drink.

“I don’t know.” Luhan wasn’t sure if Kyungsoo would be able to convince Minseok. He was hoping that Lisbeth was working her magic at the moment, Minseok realizing that she should be called on to care for the children.

“Well, if you attend I dare say you should make it right before. I don’t want my good time ruined by you two quarreling love birds.” Heechul took a sip of his brandy, smacking his lips together as he swallowed. “Now, if you don’t mind, I would like you to vacate my home. My favorite person in the entire world should be here soon and I have an activity planned.”

“Favorite person?” Luhan was slow to realize Heechul’s meaning.

“Jongdae and .” Heechul answered, Luhan rolling his eyes and jumping from the couch immediately.

“Wait, you two..?” Luhan wiggled his eyebrows.

Heechul sighed. “Not yet, though if you dare spread that around town I will ruin your happy little life like you could not even imagine.”

Luhan gulped. He knew better than to mess with Kim Heechul.

***

Luhan hauled the packages through the back entry of the house, into the kitchen. Jongin walked behind him, bearing his own heavy load.

“What is all of this, sir?” Kyungsoo eyed up the packages.

“Toys, clothing, items for the twins.” Luhan was breathing heavily from carrying the items, “Did he agree to go?”

“Yes, sir. He did. And I readied your clothing as well.” Kyungsoo started picking at the packages.

“Oh, thank the lord.” Luhan smiled, the first time he had done so all day. Well, he had smiled once or twice while he was shopping for items for the twins, as he marveled at the tiny little clothing and adorable toys. Children were certainly interesting little things.

***

The carriage ride to the soiree was deafeningly silent, Minseok sitting on one side of the carriage and Luhan on the other, both men staring out the windows of the carriage as opposed to engaging in dreaded eye contact.

Minseok had tried to think of something to say, though hasty apologies didn’t seem to suffice. Not when he had spoken so harshly to Luhan, not when he had said things he didn’t really mean. No, sorry was a poor word to convey what he felt. Luhan had attempted to say something, back at the house, but he had halted. Minseok wasn’t sure if it was his own apology. Minseok wondered how they had gotten to this sad, silent state.

The carriage jostled on, arriving at the Viscount’s home within minutes. The Viscount Kimberly lived near Minseok and Luhan in a very fashionable and large residence. It was a yearly tradition, the Kimberly soiree. Viscount Kimberly was a politician, through and through, and he knew very well the power of positive publicity. Hence the Kimberly charity soiree was founded, a high society get together that included a bevy of hefty financial donations meant to support the city’s poor.

It was truly bad form to ignore the event, those who dared not to show had to offer a very solid alibi lest they face social scorn for their lack of concern over the cities less privileged residents. Luhan’s parents would be there, as would most of those who made the list of see and be seen.

The carriage slowed as it approached the home, a mansion that sat back behind an imposing stone fence, the grounds around the home of a decent size for a residence in the city. A line of carriages were slowly making their way down the drive, stopping as liveried footman opened doors and helped the passengers alight. The slowing of the carriage increased the awkward feeling within. Now that there was no longer passing scenery to stare at Luhan and Minseok had to make an effort to converse.

Luhan chanced a few words. “Will Junmyeon be here tonight?” Luhan didn’t really care if Junmyeon would be there, he just needed something to talk about to alleviate the tension.

“I think so.” Minseok answered, drumming his fingers on the carriage door.

Finally their turn arrived, footmen springing forward to open the carriage door. Minseok and Luhan left the carriage quickly. Minseok walked ahead, not bothering to wait for Luhan. If anyone dared spot the two of them it would be clear that something was amiss.

They made their way through the greeting line without incident, the Viscount not particularly close to either of them, offering a warm but short greeting. Once inside the ballroom Luhan scanned the area, looking for his parents. They were not within sight, which he was thankful for. Luhan had no desire to explain anything to them at the moment, particularly why he had borrowed Lisbeth.

“There is Jongdae and Heechul.” Minseok nodded towards a corner of the ballroom, Luhan’s eyes falling to where Minseok was motioning. Minseok was quick to walk towards them, once again leaving Luhan to hurry to catch up.

“D’Adderleigh. Easton.” Jongdae’s greeting was less than enthusiastic, no doubt a product of Heechul explaining that their friends were currently at odds.

“Jongdae. How are you?” Minseok tried to sound positive, not upset, not as though he was not in the middle of a quarrel with his husband.

“I am well.” Jongdae looked extremely uncomfortable. “And you?”

“What is the matter? You seem out of sorts.” Minseok asked, unaware that Luhan had told Heechul of their marital spat and by default Heechul had informed Jongdae of the fact.

“Oh, nothing! Nothing, old boy. How are the childr-“Jongdae felt a sharp jab to his ribcage, courtesy of Heechul, effectively quieting him.

“Have there been any new leads in the case?” Luhan expertly changed the subject.

“Sehun and Tao found the tailor, though he doesn’t know which garment the feather could have come from. Unfortunately it seems to be a dead end.” Jongdae was grateful that Luhan had focused the attention elsewhere.

“Speaking of the devil.” Minseok watched as Sehun sauntered up to the group, a wine glass in his hand.

“Hello.” Sehun greeted, “How is everyone tonight?”

“Great! Wonderful!” Jongdae blurted out enthusiastically, Heechul rolling his eyes, Sehun assuming a look of utter confusion.

“Jongdae was just informing us of what you found at the tailors.” Luhan yet again saved the conversation.

“Hm. Yes, it was rather unfortunate. Hopefully Junmyeon has better luck with Changmin.” Sehun took a sip of his wine, “They should be here soon.”

“Junmyeon is attending alongside Changmin?” Minseok hadn’t heard, though he thought it a rather good idea considering how suspicious Changmin was acting.

“Yes.” Jongdae stared towards the receiving line, “And here they are now.”

Minseok and Luhan turned, witnessing Changmin bowing graciously to the Viscount Kimberly, Junmyeon doing the same as he stood by Changmin’s side. The pair entered the ballroom, speaking to each other, Changmin leaning in to catch Junmyeon’s words. Minseok wished he knew what they were saying, though he knew full well Junmyeon would give them a full recounting of events later.

Minseok was so focused on observing Changmin it took him a moment to digest the announcement directly following their arrival, informing those gathered that the Comte Labeaux had arrived.

“Wonderful.” Jongdae muttered under his breath.

“I best not have to hold you two back.” Heechul directed his comment at Luhan and Minseok.

“Hold me back?” Minseok looked confused, then he spotted Kris walking into the ballroom, his trusty cane in hand. “I hate him.” His words were rather involuntary, unable to hold back his spite he had let them slip.

“Ignore him.” Luhan whispered, the most intimate thing he had said to Minseok since their fight. Minseok knew better than to argue with the Comte at a public event, therefore Luhan’s words were not needed. Yet the sight of the man who so boldly had equated children to money made Minseok’s blood boil.

“He visited my office, wanting to see her body.” Jongdae did not have to explain who he was referring to. Minseok didn’t respond, guessing as much given the Comte’s strong reaction at Angelique’s death.

“What a pleasant evening.” Heechul deadpanned, noting the enormous amount of tension crackling in the air. Between Minseok, Luhan, and the Comte. Between Minseok and Luhan. Probably between others as well though the anger in his own immediate vicinity drown everything else out.

The musicians seated at the far end of the large room struck up a light and breezy note, several couples taking to the dance floor. The dynamic of the room shifted as people made way for the dancers, moving to the sides of the large ballroom to observe. Standing in a corner, Minseok and the other men didn’t need to adjust their positions. They looked on, Jongdae attempting small talk as the notes of the concerto filled the room.

As the dance continued Minseok noted where the Comte stood, even if Luhan had told him to ignore Kris. He wanted to be ready if Kris approached, prepared to hold his tongue, as it would be an enormous feat to not respond with anger.

The music died down, the dancers bowing to their partners as a break in the music occurred. The now empty dance floor afforded Minseok a better view of the room. He noted that the Comte was, at present, engaged in a discussion with a middle aged matron. Changmin and Junmyeon were busy chatting with Junmyeon’s father. Minseok didn’t see Luhan’s parents, though they were often late to arrive.

“Oh, wonderful, a speech.” Heechul yawned, nodding towards the Viscount Kimberly. The host and consummate politician moved towards the middle of the dance floor, signaling to the musicians. A few loud notes were played before the man spoke up.

“Friends, do-gooders, kind and charitable people.” The viscount started, holding his arms out as if he could embrace the crowd, “I would like to take a moment to thank you all for attending the annual Kimberly charity soiree, an event that makes a very pronounced difference in the lives of those  poor souls that are-“

The Viscount never had a chance to finish his speech. Not after a shout sounded, then a scream. Minseok, having turned his attention away from the Comte as he listened to the Viscount, suddenly realized Kris was no longer standing near the matron. His eyes darted around the room, finding Kris standing near the entrance.

“You dastardly scoundrel! You monster!”

Minseok had no doubt the words were being yelled by the Comte Labeaux, his accented words unmistakable to any who had spoken to him before.

“Oh, some excitement.” Heechul rubbed his hands together, straining to get a better look at what was happening.

“I challenge you to a duel, sir. You are a disgusting excuse for a gentlemen!” Kris yelled, leaning forward, his tall form noticeable over the others who were swarming to see what was going on. The Comte moved, yanking his arm, pulling someone behind him.

“My lord! Is that Victoria?!” Jongdae couldn’t believe his eyes. Kris had pulled someone behind him as if to shield them - and that someone certainly appeared to be his sister.

“I think it is.” Sehun stood on his tiptoes, craning his neck, “I think Kyuhyun is there.”

There was little doubt who Kris had challenged to a duel once he spoke again, his words loud, meant to be heard, to carry through the crowd. “Cho Kyuhyun, meet me at the park at dawn and I shall ensure you take your last breath!”

The crowd moved slightly, Minseok able to confirm the truth as his line of sight cleared. It was Kyuhyun, a scowl on his face, standing a few feet away from a furious Comte Labeaux. An interesting turn of events, indeed.

-------------

a/n- I wrote three and a half chapters today, so again, no long note here as I will be posting the others shortly (including you s). ^^