Chapter 18

The Crimson Feather

“He was certainly easy to find for someone who has gone missing.” Heechul drawled, waving his hand towards Sehun, who was walking up the sidewalk with lazy strides.

“Sehun!” Jongdae rushed forward, Tao next to him.

“Jongdae? Tao?” Sehun appeared confused. “What are you doing here?”

“You didn’t come home! Where were you?” Tao folded his arms, narrowing his eyes at his boyfriend.

“I was investigating Siwon.” Sehun explained, adding. “How did you even find me here at this time of night?”

Jongdae sighed loudly. “If I couldn’t find you at this time of night I would be doing a worse job than I already am. Now what did you find out?”

“It better be good, old boy, you interrupted the happiest moment of my life.” Heechul did not look happy, he was practically boring holes in Sehun with his eyes.

“Nothing, other than some vague connection with a drinking establishment.” Sehun reported, holding back the majority of what he had learned. He hoped Jongdae wouldn’t notice he wasn’t telling him everything.

“Hm. Well we can talk about it in the morning, get home before Tao kills you.” Jongdae spoke like the servant wasn’t standing two feet from him.

“Yes, and we shall get back to what we were doing.” Heechul grabbed Jongdae’s arm and tugged him away, leaving Sehun alone with Tao.

“I am tired now.” Jongdae protested, Heechul launching into a slew of expletives as the couple walked off into the night. Sehun watched them go, knowing Tao was staring at him, watching him suspiciously.

“There is something you aren’t telling Jongdae.” Of course Tao could pick up on Sehun’s deception, he knew the man too well.

“No, I told him everything.” He lied, stalking off towards the first place he thought he would be able to hail a hackney carriage.

“Stop lying, Sehun.” Tao jogged to catch up.

“I am not lying!” Sehun spat, leaving Tao to stop in his tracks.

“You are acting different these days.” Tao mumbled, Sehun having heard every word but pretending he didn’t. He kept his fists clenched as he walked, his body tense. He expected Tao to start walking again, perhaps to argue more. He didn’t. When Sehun glanced backwards, chancing a look, he found that Tao still had his feet firmly planted, a pained expression on his face as he watched Sehun., the eerie light of the gas street lighting illuminating his figure.

“Tao, aren’t you coming?” Sehun called over his shoulder. When he didn’t receive a response he looked back to see that Tao was walking away, in a different direction. Choking back a feeling of anguish at the way his relationship with Tao was slowly disintegrating, Sehun gritted his teeth and walked on. He had to keep doing what he was doing, it was for all of them, and it was for his country.

***

Minseok couldn’t hide his smile at seeing Junmyeon sitting up in bed, the color returning to his cheeks. The man still looked weak, but nowhere near as deathly ill as he had the day before.

“Minseok, Easton.” Junmyeon smiled weakly at his friends, preparing himself to tell them what he knew. “Sorry for all of the trouble.”

“Sorry for the trouble?” Luhan chuckled, “You do realize you almost died, don’t you?”

Junmyeon nodded. “Yes, but I didn’t mean to be camped out in your house for the indefinite future.”

“What is wrong with our house, old boy?” Minseok teased.

“Nothing, though I dare say it is becoming a bit crowded.” Junmyeon was tense, slightly afraid what would happen when he told the couple about his father’s apparent involvement with Changmin’s election. “I need to tell you both something.”

“What is it?” Luhan sidled up to his husband, placing a hand on Minseok’s shoulder he waited for Junmyeon to reveal what was bothering him.

“My father…” Junmyeon swallowed before continuing. “He funded part of Changmin’s campaign for the House of Commons. I don’t know what it means at this point, but I am afraid that somehow he is involved in this mess.”

“Hm. Somehow I doubt your father knows of any ill intentions on Changmin’s part or he wouldn’t be involved.” Minseok spoke calmly.

“I dare hope you are right.” Junmyeon felt an intense amount of relief at having finally told someone what was weighing on his mind.

“Thank you for letting us know, we shall pass on the word to Jongdae. For now, focus on getting some rest and recovering.”

“I will. And thank you.”

“For what?”

“For being such wonderful friends.” Junmyeon wasn’t sure if it was the amount of laudanum he had taken earlier to dull the pain, but he was starting to tear up.

“You are far too emotional, old boy, you may make me cry.” Minseok smiled, patting Junmyeon’s hand. “Now sleep, and do not ever again say you are a burden.”

Junmyeon nodded, feeling an immense amount of relief as he watched his friends leave.

 

***

Kyungsoo held the newspaper aloft, scanning the pages. He was taking one of his very rare breaks from his work, spending a few minute speed reading his way through the pages in an attempt to gauge the latest news of the day. As a professional valet and all around servant, he often found it beneficial to know what was going on in the world or at a very minimum the city around him.

“Anything interesting?”

Kyungsoo sighed as the hands s around his waist, a head coming to rest on his shoulder. “Nothing exceptionally exciting, no.”

“No?” Jongin began peppering kisses down Kyungsoo’s neck.

“Stop it! The Sirs may walk in at any moment.” Kyungsoo struggled, trying to free himself. Ever since Jongin had so boldly kissed him a few days prior he had been incorrigible when it came to showing affection. Thankfully he waited until it was just the two of them alone in the kitchen, but the very open displays still had Kyungsoo feeling embarrassed and nervous that Minseok or Luhan or god forbid Lisbeth would walk in on them.

“We would hear them coming.” Jongin half whined, tightening his hold on Kyungsoo’s waist.

Kyungsoo groaned, allowing Jongin to keep his hands in place for now. Perhaps if he gave the man a minute or so of close contact he would be sated for a while. Returning his gaze to the paper, Kyungsoo found himself staring at an article detailing the upcoming election for a seat in the House of Commons, Shim Changmin mentioned as the very likely winner of the election.

“Jongin, what was the date on those fliers? The one that came in that strange package?” Kyungsoo asked.

“I am not sure that I saw.” Jongin answered.

The sound of footsteps on the kitchen stairs had Kyungsoo elbowing Jongin’s stomach, the younger valet groaning as he doubled over. Kyungsoo plastered a smile on his face at the sight of Minseok and Luhan walking down the stairs. “Sirs, what was the date that was on those fliers? The ones that came in that package.”

“Four days from today.” Minseok recounted, only casting a cursory glance at Jongin, who was currently holding his stomach and nodding in greeting.

“I am not certain if this is related, but I believe that is the same date Shim Changmin is set to be elected to the house.” Kyungsoo pushed the paper towards his employer, watching as Minseok read the article, Luhan hovering over his shoulder to read.

“I can’t believe we didn’t connect this.” Minseok’s mouth was agape.

“We need to tell Jongdae at once.” Luhan looked equally as excited at the development.

“Yes, we best tell him immediately.” Minseok agreed, folding the paper as he turned back towards the stairway.

***

“The Comte Labeaux and his lovely sister, what a pleasant surprise.” Changmin was sitting at his desk, pen in hand, when Kris and Victoria were seen into his study.

Victoria curtsied, Kris bowing slightly as they took a seat in the deep red upholstered chairs that sat opposite Changmin’s desk.

“Victoria was hoping you would join us for a turn about the park.” Kris seemed intensely disinterested with the entire thing, even though he was the one asking.

“The park?” Changmin raised an eyebrow, looking at Victoria with affection he spoke. “I am sorry, my dear, but I am very busy with preparations for the election.”

“What a shame.” Victoria, fan in hand, waved the painted contraption lazily as she pouted. “I would very much like it if you could spare an hour to accompany us.”

Changmin leaned back in his chair. He sighed, looking at the paper in front of him to Victoria and back to the paper. “I have always had a devil of a time denying you anything.”

“So you will go?” Victoria couldn’t hide her excitement.

“Yes, but please give me a moment to change my jacket.” Changmin was up and halfway to the door before he turned. “Ah, please, wait for me in the entryway.”

“Of course.” Victoria and Kris stood, watching as Changmin left.

“Watch the door.” The Comte said in hushed tones, Victoria reaching the door as quickly as she could without tripping over her skirt.

The Comte rounded the desk, pulling open the top drawer. Rummaging around he did not find what he was looking for, moving onto the smaller drawers he began riffling through the contents.

“Please, hurry.” Victoria hissed, never looking away from the door.

He found it in the third drawer from the top, wrapped within brown paper. Grabbing the bundle he slipped it into his jacket pocket, closing the drawer as quietly as he could, he walked towards the door.

“Did you find it?” Victoria asked.

“Yes, now let us go have a lovely turn about the park, shall we?” Kris tapped his walking stick on the parquet floor, holding the door open for his sister.

***

Luhan and Minseok were hesitant to take a carriage to Jongdae’s office, the memory of Junmyeon’s accident fresh in their minds. “A long walk shan’t kill us.” Luhan grabbed at Minseok’s hand as they neared the front door.

A loud retching was heard from upstairs, the two men pausing at the noise. “Are the children sick?” Minseok wondered aloud, removing his hand from Luhan’s he rushed up the steps. A measure of fear seized him, childhood illnesses were not something to take lightly. When he made it to the top of the stairs he could tell the noise was coming from the nursery.

Pushing the door open he found the twins gathered around their nanny. When they saw Minseok they turned their eyes to him. “Daddy! Lisbeth is sick.” Theo toddled towards his father, Luhan reaching entering the room as Minseok scooped his son up in his arms.

“Lisbeth!” Luhan rushed towards the nanny, who was doubled over, sitting on her knees with a pool of vomit in front of her.

“Young master.” The nanny’s voice sounded hoarse.

Luhan kneeled next to the woman, placing a hand on her forehead he frowned. “You are burning up.”

Minseok was worried, for the nanny and the children. If Lisbeth was sick she could very well have infected the children – and if not, it was still extremely worrisome that the woman was with fever. “Please, Luhan, help her to her room.”

Minseok managed to pick Lilly up with his free arm. “We need to go see owl man, little ones.” Minseok carried the heavy load down two flights of stairs, only setting the twins down once they were in the kitchen.

Kyungsoo eyed the arrival of the children suspiciously. “Dare I ask why the tiny humans are in the kitchen, sir?”

“Lisbeth is sick.” Minseok reported, stopping Theo from toddling dangerously close to the cooking pots. “She vomited in the nursery.”

“Oh heavens.” Kyungsoo exhaled sharply before calling out. “Jongin, Jongin!” The younger valet was there in a flash, entering through the back service door.

“Lisbeth is ill, she vomited in the nursery. Can you clean it up, please?” Kyungsoo asked, his eyes trained on the tiny bundles of terror that were currently engaged in finding anything and everything to tug at and knock over.

“I shall stay with the children today.” Minseok stated, trying his best to corral the youngsters towards the chairs, in the hopes he could get them to sit down.

“No sir, Jongin and I can handle it. You need to see Jongdae.” Kyungsoo did not sound enthused about the prospect of watching the children, but Minseok knew he would do so and be a diligent caregiver.

“I hate to leave you with both of them and a sick nanny.” Minseok was feeling guilty, knowing how stressed Kyungsoo had been with all of the sudden additions to the household. Three floors above them Junmyeon lay injured, Yixing watching over him, now Lisbeth was taken ill, not to mention the two hyper children who needed to be cared for. It was a lot for two servants to handle. For probably the only time in his life Minseok regretted not employing a larger staff.

“Tis what you pay me for, sir. Now go.” Kyungsoo tried to shoe Minseok out of the room while keeping a watchful eye on the kids.

Minseok thanked Kyungsoo once again, bidding the children farewell he left the kitchen to find Luhan waiting for him near the bottom of the stairs. “Is she okay?”

“She has a high fever. I asked Jongin to fetch the doctor when he has a moment. We should stay with the children.”

“Kyungsoo said he can handle it.” Minseok couldn’t hide the note of worry in his voice. He felt an acute sense of guilt at leaving, staring back at the house more than once as he and Luhan started the long walk to Jongdae’s office.

***

Jongin saw the doctor out, shutting the door he heard another bout of crying coming from the kitchen. It had been a hectic last hour. Junmyeon’s mother had called to see her son, the doctor had arrived to check in on Lisbeth (thankfully he reported that her fever was already beginning to break) and Kyungsoo had been at wits ends trying to keep the children entertained.

“How is she?” Yixing was walking down the stairs, towels in hand. Jongin found it curious that the estate manager was so diligent when it came to the care of Junmyeon, but in many ways he was just grateful for the extra help around the house – not having to rush up three flights of stairs to tend to Junmyeon in between caring for the rest of the house was a godsend.

Jongin reported on the nanny’s condition before asking after Junmyeon.

“He is sleeping, I just gave him another dose of laudanum.” Yixing flinched as a particularly loud wail came from the kitchen.

“Please excuse me.” Jongin walked down to the kitchen to find Kyungsoo holding Lilly, who was crying, while attempting to push more cheese towards Theo. The sound of Yixing trudging down the stairs with his load of towels had Lilly pausing her sobbing for a moment, interested in who may be coming. When she saw it was only Yixing she began crying again.

“I have no idea how that woman does this every day.” Kyungsoo looked half dead from only an hour with the children, Jongin could agree with his statement completely – Lisbeth must be some sort of super human.

“They need to be tired out.” Yixing set the bundle of towels near the large washbasin that was tucked into the corner of the room.

“Pardon?” Jongin wasn’t sure that he had heard Yixing correctly.

“They need to be tired out. Children need to have their energy worn down when they are fussy like that.” Yixing looked at Kyungsoo sympathetically. “Are there no green spaces nearby where you can take them to play?”

Jongin could tell Kyungsoo was considering the idea.

“I don’t think one of us could handle both the children alone, especially at a park.” Jongin doubted two of them could fully handle them to be honest, but it would be a lot safer than one of them, that is for sure.

“What if you both went? I can watch the house for an hour. Junmyeon is sleeping and I can see to Lisbeth if she needs anything.”

“Are you sure?” Kyungsoo seemed uncomfortable with the idea. Jongin knew that Kyungsoo didn’t like leaving his work to others, especially a task as big as overseeing the entire household for a period of time. “What if there are visitors? What if-“

“I can handle it. Really.” Yixing assured the valet. “If there are visitors I am more than capable of making tea, believe it or not.”

“Oh.” Kyungsoo looked completely torn, Jongin took the initiative. “Kyungsoo and I will take them to the park near the house, we shall return within the hour.”

Kyungsoo narrowed his eyes at Jongin. “Kyungsoo, if they don’t stop fussing I don’t think you will last another hour.” Jongin pointed out, the older man finally agreeing.

***

Kyungsoo insisted they walk hand in hand, not trusting the children to toddle ahead of them. When Lilly complained of being tired, Jongin picked her up, leaving Kyungsoo to repeat the action when Theo started to whine. The nearest park was not that long of a walk, a small place in comparison to some of the city’s larger green spaces, it did provide room enough for the children to play around to their hearts content – and hopefully wear themselves out quickly.

The park was not overly crowded at that time of day. The place did not have a riding path, so it did not attract the upwardly mobile citizens out to see and be seen. There was no lake or river or pond, so the artists that could be found in other places, sketching the water scenes as they sat on the grass, were nonexistent. No, the small space served only a few real purposes- a place for children to run, and a place for lawn games to be played by those who did not have a lawn of their own. This if course, precluded the upper class, leaving only upper middle class adults playing games of croquet while nannies of the more well-heeled households watched as their charges ran about.

“Lilly, Theo, let’s run!” Jongin bent over, hands on his thighs as he smiled brightly at the children. “Do you want to play tag?”

“Tag?” Theo asked.

Kyungsoo leaned against the trunk of one of the tall maples, watching as Jongin enthusiastically taught the children how to play the game. Jongin was good with the children, much better than he was. But then again, Jongin was good with a lot of things. Kyungsoo knew he didn’t tell him that enough, compliment the younger valet for his work or his willingness to always be there, even when Kyungsoo was in the middle of a meltdown.

In the last six months Jongin had been amazing, always doing whatever Kyungsoo asked of him. It made the older man feel a tad bit guilty that he wasn’t better to him, always shooing him away when he was being affectionate, always scolding him when he wasn’t insanely proper in front of their employers. Kyungsoo made up his mind, he would tell Jongin later just how much he was grateful to him, before he forgot all about it and found himself dealing with the same pains of regret a few months down the line.

The children seemed to be growing tired, their movements less hurried as they chased Jongin, giggling and nearly tripping as they reached out to tag him.

“We should rest for a moment.” Jongin fell onto the grass, laughing as the children tackled him. After a playful minute of wrestling they sat together in a row, panting from all of the running around. Kyungsoo joined them, standing slightly behind Jongin, afraid if he sat he would have a nasty grass stain to scrub from his uniform.

“I dare say Yixing had the right idea.” Jongin said through heavy breaths, reaching over he ruffled Theo’s hair.

“Yes, it would appear so.” Kyungsoo found his heart swelling at the sight of Jongin, face flushed from running from the children, a trickle of sweat running down his brown, hair mussy from play. He was handsome, far too handsome, and Kyungsoo didn’t appreciate that fact enough either.

He was so engrossed in looking at Jongin he didn’t notice Lilly stand up at first. When she started toddling forward, Kyungsoo made a move to catch her. He stopped when the girl cried out, pointing her tiny hand forward. “Mama! Mama!”

Kyungsoo looked at the place the girl was pointing, paling as he noticed the same man who delivered the package the day prior standing at least fifteen yards away from them. Next to him was a blonde woman, lightly touching his arm as they conversed.

“Mama!” Theo cried out, rushing to join his sister.

Jongin gave Kyungsoo a concerned look before chasing after the children, Kyungsoo hot on his heels.

***

“I hope Kyungsoo and Jongin are managing.” Minseok’s mind was still stuck back at home, where a sick nanny, an injured friend, and two very stressed valets were currently residing – not to mention a beleaguered estate manager and a very hyper pair of twins.

“I am sure they are fine, Minseok. We shall be back within another couple hours.” Luhan tried to reassure his husband.

Minseok nodded, pushing open the door to Jongdae’s office. The man who usually manned the desk near the front of the offices wasn’t there, likely sent on some errand. Not having someone to see them in was not a problem, however, as they were technically employed by the Home Office the same as Jongdae – they just didn’t have an office to call their own.

Minseok was hallway through the doorway when he froze.

“GET OUT!” Heechul roared.

“Oh my lord, I am blind.” Luhan pulled Minseok out of the room, slamming the door behind him.

“I never want to see that again.” Minseok blinked rapidly, trying to forget.

“Why did we let our best friends date, please remind me.” Luhan groaned, shutting his eyes tightly as he willed his mind to expel the terrible thing he had walked in on.


-------------------------------------

a/n- Guess who is back! Sorry it has been so long since the last update *hangs head in shame*. I am still working my way through all the fests / exchanges I joined (plus family stuff). Thanks to everyone who left such nice messages on the last update!

So…a lot to take in, huh? Aren’t you glad I have returned for an update hehe.

Thanks as always to the subbers, upvoter, commenters, and silent readers (but if you drop me a comment, even one that just says you like the story I would be tickled pink). Until next time <3 LC

PS- Yes, the much awaited Heechul / Jongdae will be the next half chapter. Hm, I wonder what Xiuhan walked in on ….. *laughs manically*  I will probably update it this evening, but if not I will try to soon!