Chapter 22

The Crimson Feather

Jongdae alighted the carriage first, jumping out without a word. He was nervous that something had come of D’Adderleigh and Easton. If they had truly rushed into a hornet’s nest alone they may have been outnumbered. There was the fact that the children were involved too. He desperately hoped nothing bad had happened to any of them.

Jongdae pushed open the door, he had to consciously stop himself from immediately calling for his friends as he entered. The tavern was busy and looked to be operating as normal, nothing amiss. If he started shouting for two noblemen in the middle of a rundown tavern he might be the one to draw trouble. Trying to appear calm he surveyed the patrons – Minseok and Luhan were not there.

“Are you sure we have the right place, old boy?” Heechul drawled. “It doesn’t look like we have walked into the scene of a kidnapping.”

“Let us get a drink and spend a few minutes here, we may have missed something.” Jongdae instructed the other three men, not ready to give up yet.

Kyungsoo looked put out by the suggestion but walked up to the bar with the other three. Jongdae had been worried that the valet would lose his temper if he trailed long, it appeared that they may be nearing that point. He hoped that Jongin would be able to step in if that did occur, nothing good would come from a hysterical Kyungsoo.

“Ah, about time you showed up.” The bartender, a middle aged woman with a pockmarked face, leaned over the bar, smiling.

“You were expecting us?” Jongdae wasn’t sure what to make of the greeting.

“Not I, but those two friends of yours, the two with the babies, are.”

Minseok and Luhan. Jongdae didn’t waste any time. “Where are they?”

“Right this way.” The woman stepped out from behind the bar and gestured for the four men to follow her.

“What if it is a trap?” Kyungsoo whispered loud enough for Jongdae to hear.

The woman walked over to a door in the corner of the tavern, she opened it and held it open for the others to enter.

“Kyungsoo, wait here.” Jongdae stared down a long hall, feeling apprehensive about having all four men enter at once. What if it was a trap? No, the letter had been in Minseok’s handwriting, he knew it well enough. There was no way that it was a trap. But still, better safe than sorry.

“Good luck.” Kyungsoo muttered.

Jongdae went first, followed by Jongin and then Heechul. As they started to walk down the hall they heard Kyungsoo cry out. Whirling around Jongdae saw Kyungsoo stagger forward. The door was slammed behind them, the sound of a key in the lock unmistakable.

“I knew I should have brought my drink. “Heechul sighed.

When the feeling of cold steel met Jongdae’s neck he froze. It was a sword and it was pressing into his skin. Someone was standing behind him, holding him there.

“Welcome friends, so glad you could make it.” 

 .

***

“You must be joking.” Luhan stared up at the sign, looked at Minseok, and then back to the sign. “The golden tigress?”

“This is the last place I know to look.” Minseok had already tried Sehun’s club, his gambling haunts, and some of his acquaintances and came up empty. He hated even considering that Sehun could have possibly taken the twins to a high class brothel but at this point he had no other option. Not to mention he had yet to hear from Jongdae, despite checking in at his town house halfway through his search. If they weren’t here he would have to start over brainstorming where to look.

“If he brought them to a brothel I am not going to stop with just punching him.”

“Sehun was never the one to think things through.” Minseok pushed the door open, cringing as a waft of perfume hit him.

The interior of the brothel was garish, deep reds and golden brocades, fake crystal and velvet everywhere one looked.

The Golden Tigress was a well-known brothel for the upper classes. The Madame ran the place discreetly – albeit charging exuberant prices for her services.  Minseok had never been there but he knew that Sehun and some of the other rakes he gambled with liked to drink at the place way back when. He had no idea how long it might have been since Sehun had last been to the place but it was worth a shot.

“What a pleasure to have two fine gentlemen walk through my door.” The tightly corseted Madame appeared as soon as the door was shut. She carried a fan, waving it back and forth she fluttered her eyelashes, practically eating the two men up with her eyes. “Now how may I help you?”

Minseok knew it wouldn’t be easy to get any information out of the woman, not unless he paid her extremely well.  He glanced at Luhan, smirking at how uncomfortable his husband looked.

“I am afraid I have a request that is a little out of the ordinary.”

“We have requests such as those all the time.” The Madame winked.

“I am looking for someone,” Minseok started.

“Ah, you have a favorite, my lord?” The Madame winked.

“No, I am looking for a potential customer.”

The Madame visibly tensed.  “I am sorry my lord, I do not divulge my customers, it is my policy.”

“Understandable.” Minseok tilted his head to the side, observing the woman. “I would pay you of course, though if I do I expect that you will have an answer for me. I am looking for Oh Sehun.”

He knew it before she opened . She paled, her eyes widened. She knew, she had to know.

“Where is he?!” Minseok all but sprang on the woman as she backed up.

“I-I am not sure that I know that name.” The Madame was making a hasty retreat. Luhan moved to block the exit, keeping her in the room.

“Are the children here?” Minseok hoped to god Sehun had not brought his children to a brothel but it was looking more and more like he did. “They are my children, I mean them no harm. I just want them back.”

“They- they are your children?” The Madame bit her bottom lip, studying Minseok with worried eyes.

“Yes, and I very much want to know that they are alright.”

Her expression softened as she nodded. “Come with me. I have been worried for the little ones all day, it is a relief to know someone has come for them.”

Luhan moved aside, shooting Minseok a relieved look. The Madame directed them down a long hall that ended in a door. Removing a ring of keys from her skirts she unlocked the passageway. “You need not worry, they didn’t see anything unseemly. They have been in my personal quarters all day.”

When the door was opened Minseok heard the unmistakable sound of Lilly babbling. The Madame stepped aside, staring at the floor guiltily.

Minseok was up the stairs in a flash, Luhan trailing behind him. When he reached the top he paused, his heart felt like it was springing from his chest. The children were seated in the middle of the floor, playing with a set of blocks. Lying on the floor next to them, sound asleep, was Sehun.

“Papa!” Theo was the first to notice Minseok’s presence. He tried to stand up but only succeeded in getting halfway there before tumbling back down on the ground. As soon as Lilly saw Minseok she started crying for him.

Minseok swept both children up in a hug. He was so, so relieved he had found them. As he pressed the children to him Sehun began to stir.

“Don’t you guys ever sleep?” Sehun sat up, rubbing his eyes. When he removed his hands his jaw dropped.

“I hope you know that the only reason I am not beating you bloody right now is because my children are here.”

Sehun started rambling, “I- I can explain everything. Please, I, there is a reason and-“

“You are going to explain this and if you dare try to run without doing so I will not hesitate to hunt you to the ends of the earth and put a bullet in you.” Minseok glared at Sehun. The younger man stared back.

 

***

“What is going on?” Junmyeon struggled to sit up, his left arm giving out as he was halfway there. He slumped back into the bed.

“What do you mean?” Yixing hadn’t told Junmyeon about what had occurred. He was afraid if he did the man would insist on doing something crazy – like getting out of bed.

“Yixing, I’m not stupid. I heard the nanny crying from all the way up here.”

Ah, of course. Junmyeon might be laid up with an injured leg but he could still hear, not to mention the fact Lisbeth was anything but quiet. “The twins are missing.”

“Missing?!” Junmyeon struggled to sit up yet again, this time Yixing helped him.

“Hm. It sounds like they think Sehun had something to do with it.” Yixing knew Sehun well enough to know he had never particularly gotten along with him. As a child back on the D’Adderleigh estate Sehun was always hanging around Minseok and the older boys – his family’s estate bordered the D’Adderleigh’s after all. He was a spoiled child, one that more often than not whined until he got his way. It annoyed Yixing, a boy who spent his days working on a farm, that someone could be so entitled.

“What would Sehun want with the children?” Junmyeon shook his head. “It doesn’t make any sense.”

“I don’t know, but I hope they are able to find them quickly. D’Adderleigh and Easton are searching for them now. Jongdae was here and Kyungsoo and Jongin left to help him with the search.” Yixing couldn’t imagine the pain that Minseok was feeling at the moment. It must be nearly unbearable.

“I wish there was some way I could help.”

“No! You are staying in bed, even if I have to tie you down to keep you there.” Yixing threatened.

He didn’t know what he had said that made Junmyeon’s cheeks turn a becoming color of pink.

“I, um, well-“Junmyeon coughed. “I will stay in bed. I can’t walk so I would only hinder everyone.”

“Good, then I don’t have to bring out the ropes.” Yixing smiled cheerfully.

“Ye-yes, you don’t have to bring out the ropes.”

Yixing had to look away lest he get caught staring. But it was hard not to, Junmyeon was so handsome when he blushed.

***

Kyungsoo watched as they tied Jongin up first, followed by Heechul and Jongdae. It was his turn last and he gave up any thought of fighting against it. The man who had delivered the package to the townhouse, the same man who he had seen at the park, was in the hallway brandishing a sword. Behind him was yet another man, a big and burly sort that could probably have taken on all four men and ended up the winner.

Once Kyungsoo was tied, Siwon led them down stairs to another door. When it was opened a rush of cold air sent a shiver down Kyungsoo’s spine. Siwon led them through the door, towards an unknown fate.

It was some kind of underground cavern, a few candles burning here and there. The air was freezing.

“You should have known better than to mess with the club.” The burly man pushed Kyungsoo forward. He stumbled a few feet, running into Jongin’s back. Jongin stopped walking, turning to Kyungsoo he looked worried.

“Sit there.” Siwon pointed to a corner of the cavern.

“I don’t want to get my trousers dirty, do you know how much these cost?” Heechul stopped walking.

Siwon wasn’t in the mood for disagreements. He grabbed Heechul by the collar and all but threw him to the floor. Jongdae, Jongin, and Kyungsoo sat without an argument.

“You clearly do not appreciate fine tailoring, sir.” Heechul groaned as he struggled to sit up.

“Watch them,” Siwon barked the order before retreating and leaving the room.

Kyungsoo felt tears well up. So was this it? Would he die without ever seeing his master again? Without ever properly telling Jongin how much he liked him? The first tear slipped out, followed by the next.

***

“Do not return to your house!” Sehun stomped his foot down. “Please, you need to listen to me.”

“Hm, because listening to you has worked so very well before.” Minseok had his arms crossed, his hands firmly tucked under his elbows. It was hard to restrain himself from punching Sehun.

Minseok had dragged Sehun from the room by his collar, down the flight of stairs and into an empty room that was normally used for more carnal activities. Luhan stayed with the children, whispering to Minseok before he went. “Don’t kill him before I get a chance to help.”

“I know you are angry, you have every right to be, but please, let me explain.” Sehun held his hands in front of him as if he was both trying to protect himself and emphasize his words. “I took them because if I didn’t someone else would.”

“Who?”

“The Comte wanted the children.”

“Why? He is the one who all but threw them away?” Minseok cocked an eyebrow, it didn’t make sense.

“Listen, I don’t know all the details. I met the Comte when I went to surveil Siwon, he saved me from a bunch of goons. He told me he is working for the government.”

“Working for the government?”

Sehun nodded. “Yes, some sort of higher than the home office position. He requested that I take the children in order to lure a person out of hiding.  That person, whoever he is, is the person behind the Crimson feathers.”

“So the Comte is after the same person we are?”

“That is what he said, but I don’t believe him anymore. D’Adderleigh, there is no way I would hand the children over to him! Please believe me.”

“Then what were you planning on doing?”

“Keeping them out of harm’s way?” Sehun spoke the words like a question, Minseok taking a step forward.

“By scaring Luhan and I half to death?!” Minseok clenched his fists.

“I know it was the wrong thing to do! I am sorry, please believe me!”

“What made you stop trusting the Comte?” Minseok refrained from hitting Sehun...for now.

“I was suspicious. I broke into his apartments and found documents. I suspect he is working for the French government.” Sehun dragged a hand through his hair. “I think he is trying to win over whoever has that letter, all in the name of England’s downfall.”

It made sense, Minseok had to admit. If Kris was working for the French they would have more than an invested interest in seeing the Regent overthrown – a weaker England meant a stronger France. He was likely trying to get his hands on the original letter, or at least gain a share of whatever those who were planning on using it had.

“We need to get the Comte to talk.” Minseok exhaled sharply.

“How?”

“He has a sister, doesn’t he?”

Sehun nodded.

“Seeing as you have become such a confident kidnapper of late I believe I may have a job for you. Ah, and of course you have quite a bit to make up for so I suggest you don’t this up because I still have half a mind to shoot you.”

Sehun gulped. “Whatever you need, I will do it.”