Chapter 10

The Crimson Feather

Junmyeon adored the effects of a good strong tea. He needed it. After returning to his bachelor apartment post a night of sleeplessness he had only managed a few hours of rest before his father had arrived.

“We should go back to the Wayside Exhibition today, son. There are half a dozen fascinating lectures to attend!”

Junmyeon knew it would do no good to argue. He managed to get out of bed, stand upright while his valet dressed him, and amazingly not fall asleep on the carriage ride to the exhibition hall.

“Son, have you heard of the amazing instrument they call a stethoscope?” The Earl asked his son.

“No, I am afraid not.” Junmyeon was certain that he would learn all about it soon enough.

“I would like you take in the lectures with me today, instead of running off to do whatever foolish young men these days may indulge in while attending a scientific exhibition.”

Junmyeon wanted to cry. Not only would he be attending the exhibition yet again, he would be forced to sit through the lectures as well. Suddenly he missed following Changmin around, looking for clues.

***

Luhan was enjoying his dream. A pleasant dream – more than pleasant. Minseok was , standing in front of him, rubbing a towel slowly over his body. What a nice dream…

“Luhan, what are you doing?”

Luhan realized his eyes were open. It wasn’t a dream. He blinked rapidly, propping himself up on his elbows. “I was…”

Minseok chuckled, reaching for a shirt he pulled it over his head. Luhan wanted to protest, tell him that he really didn’t need clothes, not now any way. His own body betrayed him though, and not in the way he would have liked. His stomach rumbled loudly. He was hungry.

Minseok pulled on trousers, buttoning them he reached for his cravat. “Kyungsoo is preparing a late lunch.”

Luhan’s stomach positively ached, he hadn’t eaten all day. Sitting up he rubbed his hands over his face, trying to wake up a bit more.

“And please wash up. You look a mess.” Minseok winked, not giving Luhan time to protest he walked out the bedroom door. Luhan watched him go, wishing he wasn’t hungry and Minseok didn’t own clothes.

***

“I think we are going to need to expand our weekly shopping trips.” Jongin chopped another carrot, awkwardly cutting the pieces a bit larger than Kyungsoo would have liked.

“Seven. There are seven of us now.” Kyungsoo exhaled loudly. He threw a few more potatoes into the large cooking pot.

“The more the merrier, they say.” Jongin picked up another carrot.

“Whoever says that has never dealt with children.” Kyungsoo didn’t hate the children, no. He was happy they responded to his owl act favorably, at least most of the time. He was however less than convinced children were the root of a person’s eternal happiness.

“You don’t want children someday?” Jongin questioned.

Kyungsoo turned around, eyeing Jongin for a few more seconds than was probably necessary. Jongin squirmed under his gaze. “I don’t plan on meeting a woman and having children, Jongin.”

“Because you want to spend your life with m-” Jongin groaned as he was interrupted. Was he ever going to have an opportunity to hear Kyungsoo confirm his feelings?

“Hi Kyungsoo, Jongin.” Minseok sat down in one of the kitchen chairs.

“Sir.” Kyungsoo greeted his employer before returning his attention to his cooking pot.

“Did you sleep well, sir?” Jongin asked, knowing any kind of relationship talk with Kyungsoo was no longer feasible. Not unless he wanted Kyungsoo to hit him, anyway.

“Yes. Very well.” Minseok reached over and picked up a carrot piece, popping it into his mouth. “Kyungsoo, have you talked to Yixing lately?”

“Yixing? No, sir. He comes back late and leaves very early.” Kyungsoo barely recalled he was even staying with them.

“I am wondering how the exhibition is going. I think it may be a good idea if we attend this evening and show him our support.”

We, sir?” Kyungsoo had considered asking if he could have time off to go to the exhibition, his interest in scientific pursuits well established. Yet he hadn’t dared do so, not with the madness that had befallen the household of late.

“Yes. Jongin, yourself, Luhan. We could all go together.” Minseok suggested.

Jongin looked a bit uncertain, though he quickly changed his mind when Kyungsoo stated, “Yes, I believe that would be a good idea, sir. Get away from those sobbing little creatures for a bit.”

Minseok didn’t look terribly amused at his valet’s words though he didn’t say anything. Kyungsoo had been taking the situation fairly well, considering how strong his reactions usually were. “Good. We shall head out to the exhibition hall this evening.”

***

Victoria stomped down the stairs, flinging a crumpled up bundle of fabric at her brother. The Comte Labeaux managed to catch the fabric, clutching it in his hands he looked at his sister in confusion. “What was that for?”

“Did you go through my things while I was away?!” Victoria stomped her foot on the ground. “I clearly recall having this silk carefully folded. Why is it a pile of wrinkles now?!”

“Try asking a maid.” Kris narrowed his eyes. “What reason would I have for going through your things?”

Victoria huffed, ready to hurl another accusation. She stopped when she realized her brother was not alone. There was another man standing in the drawing room, his back to the door so she couldn’t make out his identity.

“Were you always this angry?” Changmin turned around, facing Victoria.

“Changmin?” Victoria stilled. “What are you doing here?”

“Should I not be here?”

Victoria wasn’t sure how to respond to that question. She was sure he would be angry at her for running off with Kyuhyun, yet he didn’t seem to be that terribly angry. No, he wasn’t looking at her like he despised her.

“Changmin has invited us to the Wayside Exhibition.” Kris explained, “Though I have already been there. Changmin, I believe I saw you there as well?”

“Yes.” Changmin smiled widely, taking a few steps forward. “However I thought perhaps Victoria may want to attend the most important exhibition of our generation.”

Victoria wanted to turn down the offer. A scientific exhibition really wasn’t of interest to her.

“Yes, we shall go.” Kris spoke for his sister.

“Good, very good. Then I shall return this evening.” Changmin bowed slightly, walking past Kris, nodding briefly at Victoria as he passed.

Victoria watched him go, curious how he seemed so forgiving. It wasn’t exactly a secret that he had been chasing her for the better part of a year. She had left the city with his best friend. And now he wanted her to attend an exhibition with him. How curious.

***

“You are so tense.” Heechul moved his hand a bit lower, reaching inside Jongdae’s shirt.

Jongdae lurched forward, turning around he slapped at Heechul’s hand. “What are you doing?”

“Giving you a massage.” Heechul smiled, shrugging his shoulders he tried to feign innocence.

Jongdae decided he was done with massages. He should have known a massage from Heechul would soon turn into groping and pleas to get . Jongdae stood up, Heechul slumping back into the couch in utter defeat.

“When are we going to have ?” Heechul stared at his boyfriend, clearly annoyed.

“Not now.”

“When?”

“You want a date and time? How romantic.” Jongdae didn’t feel like talking about , not now. He had just lost hold of his case and was acutely frustrated.

Heechul sighed. “You, old boy, are the longest conquest I have ever had.”

“I am flattered.” Jongdae walked to the sideboard, pouring himself a brandy he knocked back the glass quickly.

“You should be. Do you know what line forms behind you?” Heechul gestured with his hand, “From here to the East End, at least.”

“Then I am truly flattered.” Jongdae put his glass down, moving over the couch he sat down next to his neglected boyfriend. “Sorry.”

“Why can’t I ever be mad at you? Am I sick?” Heechul tapped his finger to his temple. “Is this what madness is?”

“Probably.” Jongdae offered a small smile. “How about we go on a date tonight.”

“Ohhh, a date.” Heechul tried to sound excited.

“Yes. The Wayside Exhibition will be closing soon. I propose we stroll among the scientific wonders and get your mind out of the gutter for a few minutes.”

“Science. How wonderful.” Heechul tented his fingers. “Can I thoroughly ravish you afterwards?”

“Yes. Maybe not thoroughly or ravish but he can definitely kiss for a while.”

“Date it is. I suddenly love science.” Heechul threw his hands up. “Science is better than !”

Jongdae laughed. Heechul never failed to entertain him.

***

Yixing was going to miss the exhibition. He had grown to enjoy the routine of running his booth, the thrill of explaining new technology to those exhibition goers who were genuinely enthralled by the prospect of more efficient farming methods.

“Will you not be dressing up your booth?”

Yixing turned to see who was speaking to him. It was the man who was running the adjoining booth, a fascinating exhibit on the properties of rocks. “Dressing up my booth?” Yixing wasn’t sure what the man was referring to.

“They say half the parliament are coming tonight.” The man pointed at his own booth, “Have to look good for the politicians.”

Yixing smiled. His own booth wasn’t the most glamorous looking exhibition, but it was hard to make farm equipment appear glamorous. “I will make sure my booth is very clean and tidy then. Thank you for letting me know!”

“No problem!”

Yixing began checking the floor around his booth. He would need to sweep. He didn’t want people to think that D’Adderleigh’s estate manager was fond of dirt and clutter.

***

Junmyeon tried to stay awake through the lecture on the amazing properties of the new hearing horn. He had to pinch himself during the lecture on the finer side of recognizing cloud formations and the accompanying weather. He was pretty sure he nodded off for a few seconds while listening to the monotone voice of the man who was ready to explain the healing properties of his new tonic. Thankfully his father didn’t seem to notice.

The sun was already setting when Junmyeon left the last lecture on the agenda, feeling a tinge of happiness at the prospect of going home.

“Ah, if it is isn’t Mathew Page.” Junmyeon’s father pointed down the long exhibition hall. Junmyeon squinted his eyes, trying to see the man. Page was a well-known politician, one that Junmyeon had never met in person. He belonged to the House of Commons, the lower house of the parliament.

Junmyeon’s social circles tended to revolve around the House of Lords, not the House of Commons. His father was a member of the House of Lords, as were most titled hereditary peers. Most of whom, Junmyeon was well aware, very rarely attended a session of parliament unless something threatened their own fortune. Politics were not exactly attractive to a good portion of those bearing titles in the country. The House of Commons, in turn, were elected positions, born not of the hereditary titled individuals.

“I heard that some of the members of the House of Commons would be here this evening.” The earl remarked.

“Do they interest you?” Junmyeon questioned, never recalling his father speaking too much about the political situation of the country.

“Perhaps. They say Page is fighting a battle against more radical factions in the commons.”

“Radical?” Junmyeon didn’t like the sound of that.

“Yes. Those calling for drastic reforms, that sort of thing. It seems there are one or two people who speak rather loudly and are not afraid to suggest the most abysmal of changes.”

“I see.” Junmyeon watched at the politician stopped at one of the booths, examining the exhibit. He wondered if the man was here more for a future campaign and less for his own enjoyment. As Junmyeon gazed down the long exhibit hall he spotted the booth that belonged to D’Adderleigh’s estate manager, Yixing. He would have to stop in and say hello if he had time. His face grew warm at the thought.

***

Minseok and Luhan alighted the carriage first, Kyungsoo and Jongin right behind them. Minseok paid the carriage driver, tipping the man a bit extra for the relatively smooth ride over to the exhibition hall.

“What sorts of things do they have at exhibitions like this?” Jongin whispered to Kyungsoo, not wanting to embarrass himself in front of his employers.

“Showcases of technological marvels, lectures on scientific subjects, and many more exciting things.” Kyungsoo didn’t seem to notice how Jongin scrunched up his face at the talk of science. “It should be fun.”

“Yes, fun.” Jongin followed behind Kyungsoo, not unlike a puppy dog following his master.

“Yixing shall be quite surprised.” Minseok remarked as they entered the cavernous hall. “My how they have decorated the place.”

The towering pillars and trees, the oriental styled architecture, and the throngs of people made the exhibition hall a sight to see.

“Perhaps they have a lecture on laughing gas.” Luhan said under his breath as they stopped in front of the first exhibit, a fanciful booth that focused on how technologically marvelous the country was. It was an introduction to the exhibition if you will.

Kyungsoo heard Luhan’s words. He blushed at the memory of the time he had attended a lecture on laughing gas, making quite the fool of himself afterwards. “And to think I was starting to like you, sir.”

“Sorry.” Luhan bit his tongue. Kyungsoo was a valuable ally, he really shouldn’t have said that. “D’Adderleigh, do you know where Yixing’s booth is located?”

“No, unfortunately not.” Minseok was feeling a bit bad he hadn’t stopped into the exhibition yet, considering it was his estate manager that was presenting equipment that was used on his estate. He had every intention of stopping in earlier, though the recent insanity that was his life had prevented him from doing so. If there was one thing beneficial from the case of the missing letter dying down it was that he now had some time to show his support for Yixing.

“Is that Heechul and Jongdae?” Luhan pointed a ways a head.

“Yes, I think it is.” Minseok smirked. “I didn’t take them for the type that would spend an evening strolling around an Exhibition.”

“Neither did I.” Luhan could have added that he was convinced Heechul was probably attending an event such as this on account of his lust and not his interests but he decided against it. He had already made one sour comment that evening.

“Sirs, Jongin and I would like to study the lecture schedule. Please go ahead without us.” Kyungsoo pointed towards the sign near the door listing off the lectures. Jongin mouthed “We do?” but stopped any potential argument when Kyungsoo glared at him.

“Very good. Don’t get lost. We can meet back at the entrance in an hour or so.” Minseok bid his servant farewell, eager to say hello to his best friend.

As Luhan and Minseok neared Jongdae and Heechul they could already hear their playful banter, Heechul teasing and Jongdae shoving his boyfriend playfully. “Here on a date?” Luhan asked, catching their attention.

“Easton! D’Adderleigh. How wonderful to see you.” Heechul was his usual sarcastic self.

“We won’t interrupt your date if that is what you are worried about.” Luhan threw an arm over his best friend’s shoulders, Heechul batting him away. “We are here to look in on the D’Adderleigh estate exhibit.”

“Yixing is here?” Jongdae perked up at the news.

“Yes, and unfortunately I haven’t had time until now to come see the booth.” Minseok was curious how much Jongdae remembered Yixing. Together with Junmyeon the four of them had been quite close in childhood.

“I should very much like to see him.” Jongdae seemed excited. “Do you know where his exhibit is?”

“No, we were just looking for it.” Minseok explained.

“Yixing. Wonderful.” Heechul looked utterly put out. Luhan ignored his friend’s protests and hooked his arm around his neck, dragging him forward a bit. “Heechul, I never took you for a scientific sort.”

Heechul rolled his eyes but kept quiet, not bothering to answer Luhan as the four of them started walking down the long hall. They hadn’t it made it very far when they encountered Junmyeon, leaning against a pillar, his eyes drooping.

“Haven’t you slept?” Jongdae laughed at the sight of him.

“What?!” Junmyeon snapped his eyes open. “Oh! D’Adderleigh, Easton. Jongdae, Heechul.”

“Are you here alone?” Minseok glanced around.

“No. My father brought me to some lectures. Four of them. In a row.” Junmyeon stifled a yawn. “I was waiting for him. He just went to speak to, um.” Junmyeon couldn’t believe he had already forgot the man’s name. It came back to him in a flash. “Mathew Page. He is in the House of Commons.”

“We were just heading over to the D’Adderleigh exhibition. Would you like to come with us?” Luhan offered. Junmyeon nodded, staggering forward he stretched a bit.

“Sorry, old boys, I am dreadfully tired.” Junmyeon considered it fortuitous his friends were here, at least he may have some chance of waking up with their banter.

***

Victoria was hoping she could distract her brother. Perhaps Changmin as well. Everything was going wonderfully, as wonderfully as it could be given how awkward she felt strolling the exhibition hall with the man she essentially slighted. That was until she spotted Kyuhyun standing a ways ahead, conversing with a man she did not know.

Victoria assumed that if Changmin or Kris saw Kyuhyun the atmosphere of the evening would inevitably shift towards the dreadful.

 “I am so terribly thirsty.” Victoria put her hand to her forehead trying her best to look faint.

Changmin and the Comte stopped walking, each offering her an arm to support herself on. Victoria took a deep breath. “Would one of you kind gentlemen fetch me some water.” Victoria recalled that someone was offering cups of water near the entrance, the exact opposite of the direction where Kyuhyun was.

“Yes, I shall get you some. Please rest if you are not feeling well.” Changmin motioned towards a bench that sat on the other side of the hall, next to a passage leading to one of the lecture auditoriums. The Comte escorted his sister towards the bench as Changmin left to retrieve the requested beverage.

Victoria sat down, smoothing her skirts. Kris sat next to her. “Are you well?” Kris looked concerned.

“I think I will be.” Victoria stared straight ahead, hoping Kyuhyun wouldn’t come that way. She heard a bit of a commotion, craning her neck she could see a crowd of people gathering on one end of the hall. “What is going on?”

“Parliament.” Kris scowled. “Greedy, despicable politicians out to see the common folk.”

***

Minseok was practically beaming as they approached Yixing’s exhibit. Yixing was in the middle of explaining the equipment to a group of onlookers, displaying a charisma that drew the spectators in despite the subject being rather mundane.

“He grew up so well.” Jongdae remarked, as though he was seeing a niece or nephew he hadn’t seen in a while, not a contemporary of his. Heechul did not look amused at his comment causing Jongdae to add, “Though clearly not as well as the fabulous Heechul.”

“It is so bizarre seeing you as a lovesick fool, you know that?” Luhan teased his friend, earning a fist to the back.

Junmyeon stood in the back of the group of friends, watching the estate manager. He admired how personable he appeared, how very likeable he appeared. How nice his hair looked, how…Junmyeon looked away suddenly, afraid for where his mind was going.

As the crowd in front of the booth dispersed, Yixing finishing his explanations, Minseok moved in. Yixing didn’t see him at first, too busy fiddling with one of the pieces of equipment.

“Yixing!” Minseok smiled brightly. “I am terribly sorry it took me so long to stop by.”

“Min-“ Yixing caught himself before he used his employer’s full name. They weren’t children anymore after all. “Sir! It is no problem, don’t apologize.”

“How has the Exhibition been? Have you had much interest in the equipment?” Minseok started to inspect the booth, as much as he could from where he stood.

“Yes, it has been a wonderful experience, sir.” Yixing grinned, a dimple appearing.

“Very good. You remember Jongdae.” Minseok gestured towards his friend. “And this is his better half, Heechul. Junmyeon is here too, and Luhan you know, of course.” Heechul offered a bow, as did Jongdae.

“I am quite embarrassed that all of you are here.” Yixing did indeed appear bashful at the appearance of the five men.

“No need to feel embarrassed, you seem to be doing wonderfully. The crowd was hanging on your every word.” Luhan added a few words of support.

“I am happy to see you after all this time.” Jongdae gushed. “Do you remember me?”

“Of course, sir! You were always the worst hide and seek player.” Yixing laughed, or perhaps it was more of a giggle, at his admission. Jongdae launched into a protest of his amazing hide and seek skills while Junmyeon slowly ambled his way to the front of the crowd. Heechul looked bored with the entire exchange while Luhan watched the old friend’s converse with much amusement.

***

Victoria sighed, bored out of her mind. Kris had decided Changmin was taking too long so he went to see what he was up to. She was on the verge of doing the same, walking down the long hall in search of her companions when Kyuhyun appeared, stopping in front of her.

“What are you doing here, my lady?”

“Kyuhyun. You should go!” Victoria stared back down the long hall. “Changmin and Kris are here.”

“Oh, where?” Kyuhyun quirked an eyebrow, curious.

“They are fetching beverages. Please leave.”

“Beverages?” Kyuhyun bowed. “Thank you for the information, my lady.”

Victoria watched in horror as Kyuhyun started walking in the direction of where Changmin and Kris had gone.

***

“Yixing, please watch my booth for a moment.”

Minseok watched as the person manning the booth next to Yixing’s stepped out from behind his exhibit. “Who is that?” Minseok asked.

“He is very nice. His name is Si…” Yixing closed his eyes for a moment, thinking. “Siwon! That’s it!”

Minseok quickly forgot about the man as Jongdae continued to catch up with Yixing, telling tall tales surrounding their time playing on the D’Adderleigh estate. Minseok noticed that Junmyeon seemed hesitant to join in on the conversation. He wasn’t sure why.

***

Jongin spotted Minseok and Luhan first. He had miraculously talked Kyungsoo out of attending a lecture on the art of finding groundwater, distracting him by mentioning the latest in cravat tying techniques.

“Ah, it seems that they are catching up on old times.” Kyungsoo stopped for a moment, taking in the scene of the old friends playfully conversing. When they were all children together, Yixing would play with Minseok, Jongdae, and Junmyeon; rambling around the D’Adderleigh estate without a care in the world. Kyungsoo always refused. Kyungsoo knew it was unseemly for the child of a servant to step outside his class. He was never bitter or upset about it, because he knew he was right. Stepping out of one’s class complicated things.

“Why are there so many people?” Jongin pointed towards the crowd of people.

“I don’t know.” Kyungsoo looked at the crowd, a swarm of people moving together down the hall. “I dare say whoever it is they are of some importance.”

Jongin and Kyungsoo watched the crowd for a moment. As they started walking towards where Minseok and Luhan stood a cry sounded. It came from the crowd. Instinctively Jongin grabbed Kyungsoo’s hand, pulling him close.

***

Minseok jumped as he heard the loud scream, plastering himself nearly flush against the booth as people surged forward. It was hard to make out what exactly was going on.

“Is there a doctor? We need a doctor!” A woman’s shrill voice sounded, echoing through the cavernous halls. “Mr. Page has collapsed!”

Minseok looked at Jongdae and vice versa, both rushing forward to see what had occurred. Luhan was not far behind them, the three of them pushing through the gathered crowd until they could near the man.

“What happened?” Jongdae shouted, hoping someone could fill him in.

Minseok froze when he finally caught sight of the man. He was sprawled out on the ground, a cup of water spilled next to him. The woman who had shouted, the woman who was currently holding the politician’s head in her hands was none other than Victoria.

The man appeared ghostly white, his lips turning a shade of blue. Jongdae knelt down, feeling for a pulse. He ignored Victoria’s sobs. “What happened?!” He asked again.

“I was, I was walking by and he collapsed.” Victoria moved away from the man, staggering to her feet. The crowd of people moved aside to give Jongdae and Minseok room.

“Minseok!” Luhan couldn’t believe it. Didn’t want to believe it. “Look!”

Jongdae and Minseok turned their heads in unison, not able to believe their eyes. Luhan held up a single crimson feather, a terrified expression on his face.

---------------------

a/n- And here be the second update I promised :) Things are starting to heat up, evidenced by a crimson feather *gasps*

I hope you liked the updates. Any theories on what might be going on? I know it is all a bit mysterious and vague….

Thanks as always to the subbers, upvoters, and comments. Much love! - LC