Chapter 1

The Crimson Feather

Note: This is a sequel to the fic The Masquerade, I urge you to read the first installment before diving into this fic. <3LC

----

A single crimson feather.

She didn’t even remember why she had it, who gave it to her, or what it meant. If she had even known what it meant to begin with. She clasped it tightly in her hand. She felt it over and over, caressing it nervously, holding onto the small token she imbued meaning into it. A token of comfort, or simply something to hold onto when her world was suddenly turned upside down.

A single crimson feather was the only item they found on her body, when it was pulled from the river.

***

“No, no, no.” Kyungsoo tried to wave the man towards the other end of the bedroom “The trunk should be placed there. No, not there. THERE.” Kyungsoo pointed his finger, moving his arm to emphasis the exact space he was referring to.

The strong, young footman grumbled under his breath as he moved the trunk to the exact place the valet had instructed him, only to receive further scolding. If he wasn’t a man of principle, loyal to the Hayden family, he would likely have quit right then and there.

“Kyungsoo, how are things progressing?” Minseok stood in the doorway, his hands on his hips, a smile playing on his face as he took in the sight of his frazzled valet ordering the footman about. The footman turned to bow at the sight of Minseok, nearly dropping the trunk as he did so.

“Be careful.” Kyungsoo scolded the footman before turning towards his employer, “Sir, it is going well. Though I dare say ensuring everything is orderly is quite the task.”

“Thank you Kyungsoo, for being so diligent. I appreciate it.” Minseok left the room after thanking his valet, smiling as he heard Kyungsoo return to barking orders at the hapless man. The house was swarming with liveried servants, busy moving the various trunks, furniture, and other items that would be added to the townhouse.

Luhan and Minseok, at the insistence of Luhan’s parents the Duke and Duchess of Hayden, had made their move back to the city complete with a new residence. Luhan bid his bachelors apartment farewell while Minseok had made the decision to let out the D’Adderleigh townhouse. Their new home, larger than either man’s former residence, was in a newer and more fashionable part of the city.

Situated on a terrace, a crescent moon shaped row of similar townhouses, the home was on the larger side for city residences. Four rooms per floor, with four floors total, including the kitchen which took up the basement and opened up towards the back of the home.

The Duke and Duchess insisted that the newlyweds needed all of the extra space, considering they would surely be entertaining more now that they were married. Minseok had wanted to explain that he abhorred entertaining at home almost as much as he abhorred attending social events, but he thought better of pointing this out. Especially since his new in-laws had footed the bill for the new residence. Minseok had considered that their more than generous gift was in an effort to make up for their past behavior; namely their once unfavorable opinion of their new son in-law.

Minseok had to admit that his new home was nice, very nice indeed. Large windows offered plenty of sunlight, the home was situated on a street with the newfangled gas lighting that was overtaking the city one neighborhood at a time, and the neighbors seemed to be of a very agreeable sort. Honestly, Minseok thought, all of the aforementioned were perks. The real reason he found favor with his new home was the fact it wasn’t his home alone – it would be the first home that Luhan and him could call their own.

“There you are.” Luhan smiled as Minseok walked down the hall towards him. Minseok took in the sight of his husband, Luhan’s face red and hair mussed up, his arms full of books. “Why do you have so many books on farming equipment?”

Minseok laughed. It wasn’t as though he hadn’t attempted to explain to Luhan the more intricate and fascinating sides of agricultural technology, he had made an effort more than once when they rambled about the D’Adderleigh estate during the honeymoon. Luhan, however, likely was ignoring him at the time. Their focus of their honeymoon wasn’t exactly long discussions on their bizarre hobbies.

“Why don’t you ask my estate manager?” Minseok nodded towards the staircase, Luhan turning to see who Minseok was gesturing at and almost falling over from the weight of the books.

“Yixing. How was the journey?” Minseok asked the man who was currently ascending the staircase.

“Very good, sir. Where shall I put my things?” Yixing asked, bowing slightly before he spoke. A handsome man with a dark mop of hair, kind eyes, and a shy composure, Yixing had been the estate manager at the D’Adderleigh estate for years. He had grown up on the estate, his parents were tenant farmers. Yixing’s impeccable knowledge of farming in conjunction with his innate business savvy had made him a perfect fit for an estate manager.

Yixing had traveled to the city for the express purpose of attending the latest scientific exhibition, the Wayside Exhibition, to be held throughout the week, an opportunity to showcase the latest in farming techniques and equipment that he had perfected back on the estate. His stay in the city was expected to be short in duration, he would take his leave after the exhibition.

“There should be a room on the fourth floor. Please choose whichever room isn’t already occupied.” Minseok answered. The fourth floor was reserved for the servants – which true to his past would consist of only his valet. Well, only his valet - Kyungsoo - and Luhan’s valet, Jongin. Luhan’s parents had fought Minseok on the lack of a formal staff for the home, though Minseok stood firm, Luhan supporting him. Minseok hated living in a place b with staff, he preferred a simply run household.

“Very good. Thank you sir.” Yixing passed by Luhan, smiling slightly at the sight of his employer’s husband standing in the hall, his posture and expression so frazzled. As Yixing smiled a single dimple appeared, an endearing trait that had made him quite popular among people his own age back on the estate.

“Here, let me take some of those.” Minseok reached forward to relieve Luhan of his burden, however his actions had unintended consequences. Luhan struggled to hand some of the books over and Minseok struggled to receive them, ending in the pile of books falling onto the floor with a crash.

“Sorry.” Luhan scurried to pick up the fallen books, Minseok doing the same, resulting in the men hitting their heads together as they leaned down in tandem.

“We are quite a pair, aren’t we?” Luhan rubbed his forehead, smiling broadly.

Minseok nodded, breaking into crooked smile. He began picking up the books, stacking them into a neat pile, when Jongin interrupted.

“Sirs, you have a visitor.” Luhan’s personal valet, now their valet – well, as much as Kyungsoo was now their valet as well – called up from the floor below.

“Oh, good. It should be Jongdae” Minseok pulled Luhan to his feet, both quickly forgetting the small library of agricultural marvels in favor of greeting their friend.

***

 A half an hour later the three men were seated in the large sitting room on the first floor, sipping tea. Kyungsoo had practically ran down two flights of stairs to brew tea for them, an action which was not at the request of his employer but based on his own innate sense of how those of a certain social position should entertain their guests, even if said guests were old friends.

Jongdae had been given a very brief tour of the home before the three of them made themselves comfortable, remarking on the spacious rooms and efficient layout of the home during the tour.

“How have you been, since we last met?” Jongdae asked both men, knowing very well that his question was as much a show of polite decorum as were his remarks as he was shown about the townhouse. He had visited for a reason, a reason that Luhan and Minseok were very well aware of.

Kim Jongdae was now a man with an important position, an official working for the Home Office. He had been promoted a couple of months prior, taking his own Uncles position after the man resigned due to improper actions during an investigation. An investigation that had Minseok being accused of a crime, facilitating some time as a fugitive. In the end Minseok’s name was cleared, thanks to the work of Jongdae and the help of others- like Luhan. Now that the tumultuous case had been closed, ending with the perpetrators receiving lengthy prison sentences, Jongdae had approached the newlyweds for help on another case – the reason for his visit.

“We have been well.” Luhan answered for the both of them “Though we all know you did not pay us a visit to exchange pleasantries.”

“You have me there, old boy.” Jongdae was quick to pull a packet of papers form his suit coat, ruffling through them he began speaking “I must admit that I was relieved that you moved up your return date to the city, because the case has taken a rather interesting turn.”

“Interesting?” Minseok quirked an eyebrow, “How so?”

“As I mentioned, Cho Kyuhyun has gone missing.” Jongdae explained, pulling out a piece of paper form the packet “Ah, yes, here it is.” He handed the paper to Minseok, Luhan leaning over his shoulder to read the document.

“Cho Kyuhyun, I believe you are both acquainted with to some degree. Luhan, you were his schoolmate. Minseok, you knew him when you had your sojourn in Normandy.”

Minseok nodded. He had known Kyuhyun for a short period of time four years ago, back when he had moved to France after his Father’s death.

“As you are both aware Kyuhyun is the son of a very wealthy mercantile family, only recently elevated to the nobility. He went missing three weeks ago, apparently carrying a document that could have serious implications for the Prince Regent if it were to fall into the wrong hands.”

“And this is the document? Or at least a copy of it?” Luhan guessed, scanning the paper. It mentioned, rather brazenly, very blatant descriptions of a plan to depose certain members of the House of Lords, replete with vulgar language and vile nicknames.

“More or less. Though never fear, the Prince has no real ability to put any such plan in action, dare I say it but he was being his rumored foolish self, writing such a thing in a drunken fit. Though if this were to be made public it would be enough for the public to demand his abdication in favor of his younger brother.” Jongdae sighed “And I do believe, no matter how much or how little you follow the political situation of this country, you are aware of what is whispered of the Prince’s younger brother.”

Minseok knew very well some of the things that had been said about the Prince’s brother, including the fact that he was extremely susceptible to falling in with more radical factions of government.

“The fact that the Prince could be forced to abdicate if this letter is found is distressing, indeed. However there appears to be another, more alarming matter at hand.” Jongdae leaned forward, tenting his hands. A gesture that Minseok recognized meant his old friend was tense, nervous, worried. “Kyuhyun did not disappear alone, though we only recently discovered this fact. There is another missing person, a very important person with potential international implications.”

“International implications?” Luhan was confused.

“Have either of you made the acquaintance of the Comte Labeaux?” Jongdae noticed the blank expressions from his audience, “He was a particular favorite of the French court. His daughter, Victoria, appears to have gone missing alongside Kyuhyun.”

“Vic..toria?” Minseok felt a wave of recognition. Victoria? He was certain he had met her. She had been with Kyuhyun in Normandy when he had made the man’s acquaintance “I believe I have met her, in Normandy.”

“They say she is quite beautiful, or at least Heechul assures me that is the case.” Jongdae smirked at the thought of his boyfriend, the notoriously flamboyant and fabulously wealthy Kim Heechul, gushing over Victoria’s style and poise. Quickly shaking off his momentary appreciation for Heechul’s tendency to dramatize certain individuals, Jongdae continued “Victoria’s disappearance may have serious consequences. If the French nobility were to gain the letter Kyuhyun was carrying, or should I say, the French nobility in exile that are currently attempting to desperately work their way back into power in France, were to find that letter, they could very well sell it to those in power in France as a means to further madness.”

“A war?” Luhan said aloud what Minseok was thinking. It was no secret that their country and France were not on the best of terms, consistently scuffling over the tiniest of matters, effectively at each other’s throats – certain individuals in both countries looking for any excuse to start a war and decimate the other.

“Yes, a war. It does not help that the Prince Regent mentioned more than one member of the French government in the letter, as well.” After receiving the case of Kyuhyun’s disappearance Jongdae had desperately wanted to sit with the Prince Regent and scold him like a Mother would scold a small child – imbue the stupidity of having written such a letter in the first place. Jongdae was thankful, for his own safety, that he had no ability to do so. He was not of a station in life where he ran in the same circles as the prince.

“A war or a revolution may well be the end game if this letter is not located.” Minseok stared at the document. “Is there any indication Kyuhyun would sell this information? How was he privy to the letter to begin with?”

“Cho Kyuhyun, I must admit, had a rather amazing ability of gaining the confidence of certain people. He received the letter from the Prince himself.” Jongdae thought back to how the incident was described to him. After a rather lavish party, attended by Kyuhyun and the Prince, the two men apparently went on a rather long drinking binge, Kyuhyun carrying off a letter he had urged the Prince to write. The matter may never have been reported or taken note of if the Prince Regent’s very faithful friend had not been present as well – thankfully completely sober.

“I dare say this investigation is urgent.” Minseok thought of what may happen if the letter were to slip into the wrong hands. The destruction that could occur, the death of innocent civilians. “Please, fill us in on all of the details of the disappearance.”

“Gladly. However I must insist you burn the document first.” Jongdae motioned towards the paper he had handed Minseok “I was quite on edge even carrying a poor copy of the original.”

Minseok stood up, walking over to the fireplace he threw the paper into the flames, watching it burn. Hoping that the original letter, wherever it may be, would soon cease to exist as well.

***

Junmyeon was almost asleep. He really shouldn’t have been drifting off, considering he was sitting in a very well-known club, waiting for his Father’s arrival. If his Father, the Earl of Collingwood, discovered his only child snoring in an exclusive social club, Junmyeon would never hear the end of it. Rather fortuitously Junmyeon’s drowsy state was rectified by a hard pat to the shoulder.

“Junmyeon! You boring sod you.”

“Hm?” Junmyeon opened his eyes, blinking rapidly he strained his eyes, trying to regain his focus. “Changmin?”

“The one and only.” Changmin answered, taking a seat across from Junmyeon in the sparsely populated library. Changmin was a tall man, with a dark complexion, a wide mouth, and dark eyes. He was often described as exotically handsome by the old matrons who plied their trade gossiping about each and every single and marriageable member of society.

Changmin, was, by all of high society’s expectations, a rather good match for a young man or woman bearing a title and little else. Or a young woman or man possessing a modest fortune, a good lineage, but the need of funds to fill their family’s coffers. Changmin was wealthy beyond belief, his Father operating a far reaching exporting and importing operation that traversed much of the globe. The one thing their family lacked was a title, a barrier to the highest rungs of society. Changmin had money aplenty, what he was lacking was the lineage to go with it.

“Are you well? I haven’t seen you in ages?” Junmyeon rubbed his eyes, trying to wake up.

“Not at present, no, I am not well.” Changmin answered “Have you been privy to the news?”

“News?” Junmyeon thought. What news? There was the usual gossip, wedding announcements, scandalous outpourings on the society pages. None of which he recalled being particularly noticeable as of late.

“Cho Kyuhyun is missing, as is the Comte Labeaux’s daughter.” Changmin stared at Junmyeon, making the younger man curious given his friend’s serious expression.

“I did not hear of this, no. Is this upsetting to you?” Junmyeon hadn’t seen Changmin in over a year, he couldn’t recall ever seeing him in the company of either person Changmin mentioned.

“Yes, I find it rather upsetting when my intended goes missing alongside my best friend.” Changmin continued staring, his dark eyes seeming a bit sad.

“Intended?” Junmyeon hadn’t heard that Changmin was planning an engagement, though that was not completely surprising considering the length of time it had been since he had seen the man. “I am sorry, old boy, to hear of this.”

“I am too. Very sorry indeed.” Changmin sighed, a loud exhale that had his shoulders shaking from the effort “I hadn’t properly proposed to her.”

“Perhaps there is some sort of misunderstanding?” Junmyeon offered, trying to look on the bright side.

“I hope so, old boy, I certainly hope so.” Changmin reached forward, patting Junmyeon’s knee “Now please keep this between the both of us, as friends. I wouldn’t want her reputation ruined if she were to return.”

“Certainly! I am not one to gossip.” Junmyeon tried to sound confident. He wasn’t about to go spreading rumors, though he was a bit taken aback Changmin was so ready to confide in him. They had been friends for years, though Junmyeon didn’t consider Changmin to be one of his closest friends.

“And what are you two young, foolish men conversing about so secretly?”

Junmyeon stiffened, recognizing his Father’s voice. Turning, he watched as his Father strode up. “Nothing, sir.”

“Nothing? Very good then, because I suggest we go converse somewhere less formal. The Wayside Exhibition is underway at present and I would suggest we take a trip to see the exhibits.”

Junmyeon should have known his Father would find such an activity amusing. It was no secret his Father was attracted to the latest in technological advances.

“I would like that very much, sir.” Changmin brightened at the suggestion, forcing Junmyeon to agree to go along with the idea. A trip to the exhibition it was.

***

Minseok mulled over the information, trying to categorize and dissect what he had just been told. It helped that Luhan and Jongdae were busy discussing Luhan’s past acquaintance with Kyuhyun, Jongdae finding the tale interesting.

Kyuhyun was last seen two days after the letter came into his possession, his disappearance noticed by his staff and facilitated by the fact the Prince sent someone to his home to collect the scandalous correspondence – with no success. He was last seen by his servants, earlier that day. He hadn’t taken anything substantial from his home indicating he expected to go on a journey. Victoria’s disappearance, it seemed, was even more puzzling. Her servants were mum on the matter and her last known whereabouts were up for debate.

Minseok considered where they should start investigating, the lack of solid and verifiable information frustrating. He replayed in his mind time and time again the details surrounding the case. There must be something to focus on, somewhere to start. And then his attention was turned elsewhere.

A knock sounded on the sitting room door.

“Sir, Lord Sehun is here.” Kyungsoo’s voice sounded from the other side of the door, a note of sarcasm evident. Kyungsoo had disliked Sehun for years, ever since his broken engagement with Minseok.

Sehun was a consummate brat, never quite finding time to care for others. Yet he was trying to make amends.  At present Sehun was making every attempt to help Jongdae at the Home Office, apparently attempting to make something of his life of leisure, garnering inspiration from the Minseok and Luhan’s efforts to clear Minseok’s name a few months prior.

“Please, let him in.” Minseok called out, Luhan and Jongdae halting their discussion as the young nobleman entered. One look at Sehun and Minseok could tell that something was amiss.

“Jongdae, they found a body in the river. It may be Victoria.” Sehun reported, not bothering to exchange pleasantries with the men, too focused on the task at hand.

Minseok felt his heart rate increase. The investigation was already proving to be an unexpected one.

--------------------------------

a/n- And so it begins. Thank you to everyone who has already upvoted and subscribed, I am tinkled pink (or should I say crimson muhahahahahha)!

And a clarifying point (sorry if I confused anyone) - In The Masquerade the name Vic was used to refer to Jaejoong, kind of a code name for him. It did not refer to Victoria, who is making her first appearance in this fictional world via this story.