Chapter 7

Clash of Interests
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Thank you guys for your kind wishes for my finals XD You guys are the best!! A slightly longer chapter to make up for my future absences:

 

He had looked at her with those haunted eyes.

He was my father.

He was my father.

He was my father.

Those four words had been thundering in her head for the rest of the day. No matter how hard she concentrated on her documents, she couldn't get his pained look out of her memory. Now that she had finished every single piece of her work, there was nothing to keep her mind occupied of anything else other than what had happened at lunch. "Now do you regret knowing why?" he had asked. But all she could do then was stare numbly. Everything else that happened after seemed like a blur. I couldn't answer his question. So do I regret it?

"Hey, it's ten after five. Work's over, you can leave." Coming out of his office, Jong Suk seemed surprised to still see her sitting at her desk. 

"You must hate me. I'd hate myself too if I were in your shoes. Everything I've known about is a lie," she replied. She couldn't even lift her head up to look at him.

Jong Suk sighed and crouched down. He turned Shin Hye's chair around to face him. "Don't blame yourself. You're not the one who killed my father." He cocked his head to one side. "To be honest, I thought you were sent as a spy at first, maybe even as a honeypot. But now I see that's a ridiculous idea since you clearly didn't know what was going on. And for that, I apologize for thinking that you were a mole for your family."

"I wouldn't blame you for thinking that. My applying as your secretary must have been really suspicious. I know you don't trust me, You probably think I'm a good actress and I'm just faking it."

"I honestly don't think you're faking."

"But I still can't believe it. I'm sorry for saying that but how could my Appa not have any indication of what was going on?"

"Maybe he didn't. Your father was the president of the Employee Workforce department right? If he had no financial or inventory access to the company then he really couldn't know that Golden Sun was just a front for criminal activity. Besides no one would want to believe that about their family. Everybody has skeletons in their family closet. But I would advise you to be careful about going to ask your family questions, or at the very least not directly. I've learned that in this world, it's family who can hurt you the most." He straightened up and offered Shin Hye his hand. "I'll give you a ride back home. You shouldn't go home alone, not in your condition."

That was how Shin Hye found herself sitting in the passenger seat of his car. "I'm sorry."

He glanced at her in the rearview mirror. "Didn't I already say it? You don't need to be sorry."

"But I feel so guilty and it's tearing me apart inside. They're my family after all, and I love them and it hurts to know what they've done."

"It always hurts when you've known someone for a very long time, only to realize that that person isn't who you thought they were."

"I know. I just wish there was something I could do." 

Jong Suk paused at a red light. He turned in his seat and stared at her seriously. "Do you really mean what you say or are your words just meaningless?"

Offended, Shin Hye turned to him "I want to but what can I do? You've already said that I shouldn't ask my family too many questions."

He revved the car forward as the traffic light turned green. "Then, help me. Help me find evidence and take down the true murderers, the ga

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter