Chapter 14

Clash of Interests
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jong Suk frowned as he read the police report the station had emailed him. He pursed his lips, thinking of the new information and what it meant. The fake policeman was definitely proof that the mafia had infiltrated the police network or at least had some access to the station. He would do much better working with an independent detective agency than to rely on a compromised source.

So Shin Hye was being targeted by the mafia. It was strange that her uncles would allow their niece to be put in danger like that. Surely, they would have some inkling of what the gangsters had planned to do. Wouldn't they want their family members to be safe?

Unless they didn't know. Unless the mafia was deliberately sending a message to the Park family to have Shin Hye stay away. 

On the other hand, the Park family could have known but didn't care. 

Only one thing was for sure, Shin Hye was in danger. 

Groaning, Jong Suk rubbed his weary eyes to clear out some of the tiredness. As always, his father's case was full of tangled knots and dead ends. Sometimes he had nearly given up, but it was too late now. He had discovered too much and even brought in Shin Hye's welfare into danger. 

Then there was the matter of Yu Bi's attack. But Yu Bi's attacker was more careful than Shin Hye's attacker. Both assailants had somehow gotten access to cameras that could have captured the attacks, so either they or allies had be powerful or talented enough to remove the footage. But something was still nagging at Jong Suk. There was just something he couldn't piece out.

 Yu Bi's attack had occurred in darkness, where very little evidence could be found or the attacker couldn't be captured. It would have just been as easy to lure Shin Hye out to the same dark area or isolated place and attack her there. 

He felt a sudden stab of pain in his heart. No, it was much more fortunate that Shin Hye could be given emergency treatment immediately; Yu Bi was found hours later from the attack and had nearly passed away when emergency personnel had found her. 

Still, the attack was just too ostentatious. The mafia preferred far more subtle methods to prevent the police force from tracking their activities. And what about the message written in lemon juice? There were two big puzzles missing here. As if he was being played upon and Shin Hye was stuck in the middle of two spiders' webs. 

He slammed his desk in fury, sending several pens and papers flying to the floor and didn't seem to notice their clatter.

They must have been testing him. Not only was a message for Shin Hye and him to back out of the case, they now knew how much he cared for Shin Hye.

Thinking of Shin Hye, he glanced at the clock whose hands showed it was already past five. Most employees would be leaving now. He crossed his office in a few quick steps and flung open the door.

She wasn't there in her secretary's desk. A quick glance revealed that her desk was already neatly organized, the computer shut off and her coat was missing from the back of her chair where it usually hung.

Worried, he turned back inside his office to clean up and to grab his own coat. He needed to find Shin Hye. 

"Hello Doctor Han. This is Lee Jong Suk. I'm doing well, thank you. I have a favor to ask o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter