Chapter 19

Clash of Interests
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

9:34 AM

"Hello, my dear. I hope my men have treated you well."

Shin Hye turned towards the voice. A man in a wheelchair was pushed towards her by an attendant. He had been waiting for her in the shadows of a large oak tree.

He looked striking familiar.

"Jong...Suk's...," Shin Hye's voice trailed off as her eyes grew wider. Is this his....

As the man came closer, Shin Hye saw that he was not as young as she thought he was. He was rather frail and elderly, with a shock of pure white hair. As his attendant pushed him in his wheelchair, she noted a ventilator on the side that helped the elderly man breathe. Despite his frail appearance, his warm brown eyes were bright and focused on Shin Hye and his back was straight. Those chocolate eyes reminded Shin Hye of how Jong Suk had often looked at her with warmth and adoration. 

The strange man smiled and beckoned her closer. "Ah, Jong Suk has chosen a pretty girl, and intelligent as I am told." Seeing her confused look, he quickly amended. "Ah, I am not Jong Suk's father, if you were thinking that." He paused to take a few shaky breaths from the ventilator.

"I am Jong Suk's grandfather, Kim Hwa Suk."

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

9:57 AM

"We've gotten a call from an anonymous source that Shin Hye will be safe and returned," a junior officer announced. "The caller also said for Jong Suk to not worry."

Jong Suk scoffed, crushing the empty coffee cup in his hands. He was currently in the police station, waiting for any news or tips to be called in. 

How could he not worry about Shin Hye when she was missing? If the caller was trying to be reassuring, then the caller had failed and Jong Suk's mood only sank lower.

"Can you trace the source?" he asked, rubbing his hair in frustration.

"Trying to, but I think it's just a payphone. We're trying to get the city though," the officer responded, giving Jong Suk a sympathetic look.

There was a loud commotion coming from the hallway outside the office Jong Suk was in. The door opened then, and Min Ho walked in, looking extremely fatigued. 

"Any news?" Jong Suk asked, not daring to get his hopes up.

"Well, I've convinced the Dracone boss that Shin Hye's disappearance last night was just me 'getting rid' of her," he said, holding two fingers up and making quotation marks. "The weapons drop at Jeju Island made by the Parks will still be happening and we'll be able to charge them with fraud and illegal weapons trading. Thanks to your spies at Eris Steelworks, we'll be able to shut down that company as well as all the companies you took over that acquired their money through dirty means.Thanks for giving us all their financial accounts. I'm sure Yu Bi will have more than enough evidence to put these people away for a long, long time." Min Ho gave Jong Suk a look of sympathy. "I'm sorry that your father's case has gone cold too long. The D.A. won't open a case after it's been over ten years ago. But I'm sure we'll bring your father's killers to justice through other ways."

"Yes, I'm sure." Jong Suk agreed bitterly. For right now though, he just wanted Shin Hye back safe and sound. Where could she be and who kidnapped her?

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Shin Hye's eyes nearly grew as big as saucers. "Grand...grandfather? But, how?"

Jong Suk's grandfather chuckled which turned to a series of coughing. "Why don't you have your brunch and I'll tell you my story. And call my halabeoji, if you want to, my dear." Hwa Suk cleared his throat as he drank a glass of water.

Shin Hye impatiently grabbed a piece of toast and waited for

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter