Chapter 17

Clash of Interests
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Double Update. Go back a chapter if you skipped right to here c:

 

In the morning, Shin Hye and Jong Suk had to part ways, the former being called to an emergency family meeting. Luckily the snowstorm had stopped somewhere during the middle of the night and snowplows were already clearing the roads, unveiling the snow blanketed cars slowly but surely.

"You going to be okay?" Jong Suk adjusted Shin Hye's coat snugly, making sure that no cold could get in. 

"Mmhmm. It's a great opportunity for me to search Uncle's house again. And don't worry, I'll be fine, Third Uncle's going to be giving me a ride. I'll probably have to field some questions about our relationship but I'll tweak it to our favor." She grinned and placed her mittened hands in his. "I'm sure everything will blow over soon. I have a good feeling about this. Maybe it has to do something with the snow." The snow that had blanketed all of Seoul last night twinkled in the morning sun, giving the impression of enchanted fairy lights.

Jong Suk chuckled at Shin Hye's nose, which had a tendency to grow tomato red in the cold. "That's not exactly what I meant." He bent down closer to her ear, and her breath caught a bit as his handsome face came closer to hers. "You're not too sore from last night, right?" 

WHAM! His face met with another handful of snow, but he was too busy chuckling at her outraged expression to care too much.

"Mkay, take care of yourself. I'll be at Doctor Han's and I'll pick you up for dinner. Don't do anything too rash or dangerous, okay?"

"I promise." She waved as he jogged to his car, quick to start driving and weaving among the parked cars on the streets in hopes of avoiding the traffic that was bound to ensue after everyone woke up on in the hotels. 

It took two hours for Jong Suk to finally reach Doctor Han's clinic. He didn't mind the drive too much, the long drive owing to the snow piled on the streets that hadn't been fully cleared up by the snowplows. He did, however, miss Shin Hye's presence next to him when he woke up tangled with her in the sheets. 

He was nearly skipping when he walked inside Doctor Han's office.

"Hello, sir. It's been a long time. Sorry I couldn't keep our appointment yesterday."

Doctor Han, a middle aged man growing into his sixities, waved his apologies off. "Don't worry about it. I had a feeling once the snow came down that you might not be able to make it. Anyways, let's get to business." He sat behind his desk and adjusted his glasses as he rummaged through his cabinet files. "Ah, here we are. Your father's medical files. I also had the funeral home fax over the death certificate."

Jong Suk reached for the manila folder, slightly shaking as he took it. He wasn't too sure what he would find inside.

"If you don't mind me asking, why did you need your father's medical records? I believe it has already been confirmed it was murder."

Jong Suk flipped through the documents, only listening with one ear. "Just something I wanted to check." 

Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Kim Jong Suk was shot by a well-known hitman as he was on his morning jog. The hitman was known to have mafia connections, but the suspected hitman turned up dead a few days later. A mysterious and large sum of money was transferred to his account by an unknown source. But it couldn't be fully said that the mafia was behind it. Only that the Dracones had left their calling card by the hitman's body. 

Jong Suk's eyes lingered on the document that indicated the day Kim Jong Suk was admitted to the hospital. He was still barely breathing then. But then a suspicious boiler explosion had ignited near the Intensive Care Unit where Kim Jong Suk lay. Several other patients had passed away from

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter