Chapter 11

Clash of Interests
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Deep into evening, Jong Suk and Shin Hye were back in his penthouse, carefully peering over the purchase order. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Jong Suk held the delicate pieced together paper up to the light using gloves, mindful of a few brown smudges that probably came from the trash can where Shin Hye had found the shredded pieces.

"What could the intruder want? There's nothing really on it except that it was an order from Eris Steelworks," Shin Hye wondered. "Nothing strange in Eldest Uncle's office either when I searched it, other than he must really like citris air freshener and heat lamps. The whole office smelled clean like lemons."

Lemons and heat lamps? Jong Suk frowned. No, it can't be. That's a common method, but still....

"Let me try something. Can you angle that lamp closer?" He placed the purchase order under the bright light of the lamp, perusing the paper for any words. 

"Hey, look, there's something appearing!" The heat from the lamp had turned the invisible ink to brown. The brown smudges now began to connect together to form words, although half of the words was cut off. 

Ordering more and

pay up or else

Sun, Mr. Park J

"Mr. Park J.... Park Ji Beon? That's my Second Eldest Uncle's name." Shin Hye took the paper and tried to put the lamp all over the paper, but no more words appeared. "Guess he's part of the smuggling ring too. But how did you know how to look for the words?'

"My father and I used to write coded messages using lemon juice and water to each other whenever I had to go to a business meeting with him. I was really young and had little impatience for boring business matters that I didn't understand. It was the only way to keep me from getting into trouble at the time." Jong Suk frowned. His father passed away a long time ago, that was for sure. But he was just being paranoid right? Lemon juice was fairly well known as invisible ink, although the gangs probably should have used more sophisticated ways of getting their message across. Furthermore, only a smidge of the message was revealed before Shin Hye had found it, as if the reader had stopped trying to read it and decided to trash it. The whole event was convoluted with mystery. Jong Suk expressed his concerns to Shin Hye.

"I was wondering at that too. And here, where the paper says 'pay up or else', sounds like my Uncle didn't pay Eris Steelworks in full." 

"For right now, we don't even know if your U

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter