Chapter 1

Clash of Interests
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Damn it!” 24 year old Park Shin Hye startled out of her chair as her father slammed the dinner table. She and her father had been watching the news. But the cause of her father's reaction came from the headline news that Golden Sun Inc., their family company of three generations, had been bought by Kings Corporation, headed by the elusive chaebol, Lee Jong Suk.

There goes another company, swallowed up by him. Wasn't heading over seven companies enough that he had to set his sights on ours? Our company isn't even that big yet, especially compared to his megacompany! Shin Hye thought bitterly. Ever since her father and uncles had refused to sell their company, the family pride and joy, Jong Suk had slowly cut off Golden Sun's suppliers and connections until they were all working for him. Like a frog simmering in a pot of slow boiling water, her father hadn't noticed until it was too late. The company had been reduced to shambles. Her father had been humiliated to sell the company for much less than it was worth. And the news reporter touting Lee Jong Suk's entrepreneurial and business skills only added salt to injury. She decided that the female reporter was being totally biased in Jong Suk's favor. Just because he's good looking and rich, all the empty headed females fall head over heels for him. Ugh, so typical. 

"Appa, what are we going to do?" 

She watched as her father sighed and sank deeper into his chair. Suddenly, she noticed new lines and wrinkles adding to those etched into her father's tired face that she hadn't noticed before. The old lines had started appearing from her omma passing away eight years ago. But now, the news seemed to age Appa by a decade. "I don't know, sweetheart, I just don't know." He bent his head in his hands. "We just put in that large investment for reconstruction and renovation and a new order of shipments too. There might not be even enough to get by, especially after your uncles and I split the profit. And what are we going to tell all our employees? We can't have that no-good lousy bastard force them on the streets!" By the end of his rant, Appa had stood up from his chair and was nearly spitting with rage. He sighed again, deflating in his chair as the anger left his body as quickly as it had come.

Shin Hye winced as she watched Appa. She felt guilt

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter