Chapter Twenty

A bucket of teardrops
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyuna found a part time job to work after school. She stopped working before because Myungsoo requested her not to, but now she really needed the job. She was on her own now and she had to somehow earn so she could live. She didn't like staying for free at Hoya's place. Her plan was to stay there for a week or two then she would find a place to stay on her own. Sungjong had heard all about Hyuna's story and insisted that she stayed with him and his brother going forward, but Hyuna didn't like the idea of being a burden to other people.

 

Hyuna kept herself busy with work and school for a couple days. When Sungjong found out that she was working, he was angry. Not because she was working until late, but because she insisted to pay him and his brother rent for her stay there. At least until she found a place.

 

Sungjong told Hoya about it, and Hoya was furious too. He never wanted anything from her, let alone her money. It was hard for her as it was already. If anything, the two siblings wanted to take care of Hyuna. After all, they grew up together. They watched when Hyuna had a hard time taking care of her mother. They knew the hardship she had gone through before and they were not going to let her live by herself. If anything, they owed this to Hyuna's mother. Her mother had always treated them like her own sons.

 

After a long discussion, Sungjong finally couldn't argue with Hyuna who insisted that she wanted to work. It was that or she wanted to pay rent. So Sungjong and Hoya agreed to let Hyuna work, so she at least wouldn't feel bad. But it was with a condition that Sungjong and Hoya would take turn to pick her up when it was too late.

 

It was 12:45 AM, just 15 minutes before the cafe close. Hyuna was wiping the tables and floor diligently. Her mind wandered somewhere else. She remembered the conversation she had with Dr. Choi in the last two days.

 

"How's the progress, doc?" Hyuna asked Dr. Choi as soon as he received the current test of her heart.

 

Dr. Choi didn't look very happy. And Hyuna knew why. 

 

"Ms. Kim, your heart shows a very bad performance. Have you done a lot of outdoor activities? Workout maybe? Or have you experienced a lot of stress? All this can cause your heart to work harder, therefore it could have a ngative impact." Dr. Choi explained shortly.

 

Stress... maybe that's why. She definitely hadn't worked out a lot, except a little ballet she did. She had cut down on dancing and she already gave up on auditioning for her dream. 

 

"Is it that bad?" Hyuna was scared to ask.

 

Dr. Choi gave her a calm look. Hyuna believed that as a doctor, it was his job to always look calm. "Heart transplant is the only way right now. You may not have much time if you keep waiting. Your heart performance is really bad and based on the perfoemance, you still have time. You probably have started feeling a lot of discomfort, more pain. etc. Soon, you'll feel more tired than ever."

 

Hyuna agreed. She had been in pain more than before and sometimes it bothered her so much. "H-How much time do I have?"

 

"I really hate to say this. But six months the most. One year, if you're really lucky." 

 

Six months? She could die anytime this year. She hated feeling to helpless like this, but this was her fate. 

 

A tear escaped her eyes. Good thing, her co-workers were inside the kitchen right now so they wouldn't see. It was bad enough that she cried herself to sleep every night. Now she even cried at work. She hated being such a crybaby.

 

Just then, she started feeling pain in her heart. It was throbbing in pain like she was stabbed with a thousand arrows. She clenched her hand and the pain was unbearable. Two of her co-workers just came back from the kitchen when they saw Hyuna was already on the floor, clutching onto her chest.

 

"Hyuna-ssi?!" The older guy called. "Are you all right?"

 

Hyuna looked blankly at them as her vision started to get blurry. She was sweating and she thought maybe it was her time now. She couldn't remember anything else because she already lost consciousness.

 

 

 

When Hyuna opened her eyes, she was at an unfamiliar place. But she could tell from the smell that she was at a hospital. 

 

"Hyuna, you're awake!" Hyuna heard Hoya's relieved voice.

 

"O-Oppa..."

 

"Scared me to death. I was on my way to pick you up when your co-worker called me, telling me that they were bringing you to the hospital because you passed out so I rushed here. The doctor was just running some test. He should be back in a bit. How are you feeling?"

 

"Oh. I'm okay, Oppa. Just tired." Hyuna managed a small smile. 

 

"This is why you shouldn't work. You wake up early and come home late every day. You don't get enough rest. Why don't you take a break from work?" Hoya suggested. He couldn't really tell her to stop working at all because she might move out from his house and it would be harder to watch out for her.

 

Just then, Hoya's cellphone rang. 

 

"Sorry, I have to take this for work." And he went outside of the ward.

 

Five minutes later, a doctor came in to ward. It was Dr. Choi.

 

"Dr. Choi..." Hyuna was surprised to see him here.

 

"I volunteer at this hospital at night." He explained shortly, answering Hyuna's unspoken question which probably wondered why he was here. "Anyway, a colleague told me a girl just passed out and was brought here. He checked that it was a heart problem, so I asked if I could see the chart when I realized that it was you."

 

"What a small world." Hyuna said, not too excited. Dr. Choi would probably start telling her not to do this and that again.

 

"Ms. Kim, your condition has gone worse since the last time I saw you. What happened?"

 

"I was just at work when I passed out. I don't know what happened." Hyuna told him honestly.

 

"This is not good, Ms. Kim. I'm assuming you've been working too hard if it's already up to this point. I know that you could last six months, but it may be less if you keep this up. You have to stop working too hard. It's not good for your heart."

 

"B-But... I need to work." Hyuna said. She needed to get money for her medication too, didn't she? Plus, if she ended up going with surgery, she would need a lot of money for that too. "You talked about heart transplant before. Will I be saved if I do it? Is there a side effect or risk?"

 

"Ms. Kim, there's always a risk in everything." Dr. Choi managed to say.

 

"What is it, doc? Please tell me."

 

Dr. Choi was quiet for a second. "There's a risk that something goes wrong during the surgery. After the surgery, there is a chance that your body might reject the heart transplant. I'm very sorry to inform you this but when that happens, there is nothing else we can do."

 

Hyuna felt like her world had been crushed. It was bad either way. She laughed sarcastically. "So you're telling me I'll die either way. That's very reassuring."

 

Dr. Choi gave her a warm look. "I know it's hard, Ms. Kim. I've seen a lot of patients with the same condition and a lot of them manage to get a heart transplant. Have you talked about this with your family?"

 

"I don't-" Hyuna almost said that she didn't have one. "I haven't. I will let them know soon."

 

"Ms. Kim, you need to inform your family. This is an important matter, a live or death matter. It's better that they know. Their support will help you with the result of the transplant. I don't know how it works, but somehow people who succesfully get the surgery have a b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter