Chapter Nineteen

A bucket of teardrops
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyuna's head was hurting when she woke up the next morning. The last thing she remembered last night was having some drinks at the club with Jiyeon and Sungjong. Then she tried to remember what happened after. She remembered seeing Hoya and he took her home.

 

Her head was throbbing. She thought she needed some pain killer or maybe coffee. She looked at the time and it was already past 11 AM which meant that she just skipped 2 classes at school. 

 

It didn't take Hyuna long to shower and get ready. She took some painkiller before she headed for school. 

 

A lot of eyes were looking at her when she finally reached school by noon. As soon as she entered the cafeteria, people were whispering and all. Her eyes then travelled toward a table in the very back corner of the cafeteria. There sat Naeun.... with Myungsoo. Of course! She almost forgot that Naeun was going back to school today. She would need a lot of help with school and writing down notes, but she didn't even know that blind people needed help eating as well.

 

Myungsoo was helping Naeun eat. He really was babysitting her all this time she couldn't see. Myungsoo had been blaming himself for Naeun's blindness even though it should be a temporary thing. 

 

Other students must be wondering by now what was Myungsoo doing with Naeun and what happened between him and Hyuna? They probably already heard about their breakup. It wasn't unusual for news to travel within students, especially when Myungsoo was very popular.

 

Hyuna watched with a pang in her heart as she saw Myungsoo care for Naeun. Was Naeun a kid or what? Did she really need Myungsoo to do all this? 

 

Suddenly, she felt a pain in her chest, the same throbbing pain she'd been having for a couple weeks. It must be her heart disease again. Hyuna closed her eyes, trying to breathe in and out so they pain could go away. She had to see Dr. Choi again later.

 

Her vision started to blur when she felt a hand grip on her arm. "Hey, are you okay?" She heard Hoya's voice as she felt him stand beside her.

 

She regained her composure. "I-I''m okay, Oppa."

 

"You look very pale? Did you eat anything at all?" Hoya asked concernedly.

 

Hyuna shook her head. Of course she didn't.

 

"Let's get you something to eat!" Hoya suggested as he grabbed her wrist. He found an empty table and told Hyuna to sit there while he went to buy some food.

 

 

**

 

Another week had gone by and Hyuna had been trying to live as healthy as she could. She had gone practicing her ballet less. She didn't take Dr. Choi's advise to stop practicing at all because it was what she loved to do, so she decided to still dance but just not as much as before. She'd been taking her medication regularly and it helped a little bit with the pain even though the medicines were expensive. She had to ask her brother for some money and had to lie in order to get it.

 

Hyuna was walking back home since she just finished class. She was walking towards the bus stop when she spotted Naeun from afar not far from the school gate. She wondered why Naeun was just standing there by herself, but soon realized that she might be waiting for Myungsoo while he was getting the car ready. 

 

Hyuna was walking towards Naeun now when she spotted an older lady that could be as old as her grandmother fell as she was walking. Naeun looked surprised and quickly ran towards the grandmother to help her stand. Hyuna saw as Naeun speak some words at the grandmother and gave her a smile before the grandmother walk away again.

 

Hyuna didn't realize that she had brought her hand up to cover . She was in complete shock. Naeun could see.... She had gained her vision back. Just as her doctor said before that her blindness was only temporary, it could come back anytime, a day, a week, ten years... who knew? But it came back a lot faster than Hyuna had thought. What was worse is that Naeun was keeping it a secret...... but for what?

 

Hyuna couldn't believe her eyes. She quickly made her way towards the younger girl who was now standing quietly by the road side.

 

"Naeun!" Hyuna called.

 

"U-Unnie?" Her eyes looked straight, as if she couldn't see. But Hyuna knew she was pretending.

 

"What was that?" Hyuna asked her. "Th-the thing that just happened just now. Y-You... you helped the grandmother. You could see!" 

 

Naeun seemed surprised. "I-I don't know what you're talking about."

 

"Naeun, I saw you walk toward the grandmother and you helped her up. Can you see now?" Hyuna asked her. It was good news that Naeun could see, right?

 

"U-Unnie, you saw wrong." Naeun said shortly.

 

"No, I definitely see you."

 

"Unnie... I still can't see."

 

"B-But..." Hyuna wanted to protest that what she saw was right. And she definitely couldn't be wrong, unless... "Are you pretending to be blind because of Myungsoo Oppa?"

 

Naeun was quiet. It only confirmed Hyuna's suspicion.

 

Hyuna gasped. "I-I can't believe... Of all people.... Naeun, wh-why would you do that?"

 

Naeun looked straight into Hyuna's eyes. "I-I'm so-sorry, Unnie. I-I just can't... without Myungsoo oppa.... I am nothing. When I saw how caring he was when he found out I was blind, I thought that maybe it was a good thing."

 

"W-When? When did your vision come back?" Hyuna asked, still surprised.

 

"About three days after I was discharged from the hospital." Naeun answered honestly.

 

Hyuna had always liked the younger girl even though she was Hyejin's daughter, but she couldn't believe Naeun would do this. "Y-You've been p-pretending all this time?"

 

By this time, Naeun was crying. "I-I'm sorry... Unnie, please don't tell anyone. I beg you. Please, especially not Myungsoo oppa. He must not know. He will hate me."

 

"N-Naeun, I..." Hyuna didn't know what to say.

 

"You know that he would leave me if he found out. He would cancel our engagement and he would never talk to me. Unnie, please.... I can't live without him anymore. He's all I have. He makes me happy. Please...uniie..." Naeun begged, crying.

 

Hyuna saw how pitiful the younger girl looked. Hyuna's was aching inside. She didn't want to take Naeun's happiness but she needed Myungsoo too. She needed Myungsoo right now at her lowest point in life. Hyuna had tears in her eyes.

 

"I'm sorry Naeun, but I have to." Hyuna tried to walk away, but Naeun grabbed onto her and wouldn't let her leave.

 

"No!" Naeun exclaimed. 

 

"Let me go, Naeun!" Hyuna said.

 

"No, uniie. please...." Naeun said softly.

 

Hyuna resisted and tried hard to walk away but Naeun was strong. She held Hyuna's wrist tightl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter